Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yank Vs Pom
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Kitty
Cupcakes vs Faerie cakes?
Daria
I just call them "buns" instead of faerie or cup-cakes.

On the whole duvet arguement, there is also an eiderdown- which is like a smaller duvet with feathers in it, that you have on top of the sheets (we're talking old-style bedmaking here guys) and blanket.
Moosh
QUOTE (Greeneyes @ Apr 12 2006, 01:23 PM)
QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Apr 12 2006, 12:28 PM)
Saw an example today.

Hole in the wall - ATM Machine.

ohmy.gif Bad Teapot. There's no such thing as an Automated Transaction Machine Machine tongue.gif

Automated Teller Machine tongue.gif

/pedant
Phyllis
QUOTE (Daria @ Apr 15 2006, 11:09 AM)
(we're talking old-style bedmaking here guys)

What exactly is "old-style" bedmaking?
bryden42
QUOTE (candice @ Apr 15 2006, 10:42 PM)
QUOTE (Daria @ Apr 15 2006, 11:09 AM)
(we're talking old-style bedmaking here guys)

What exactly is "old-style" bedmaking?

making the bed with your back bent over and one hand in the small of your back complaining at the youth of today and saying how much better it was in your day before things like the wheel, abacus and sliced bread were invented...... I think laugh.gif
Kitty
Or, more likely, when there were acctual specific ways of making a bed. Probably around the time where putting a fork in the wrong spot at a table setting would require someone's head to be lopped off.

happy.gif

These days we dont lop people's heads off, anyway.... <.<
trunks_girl26
Ooooh!

Orphanage vs. council house, I think.

And ste, we do say railway here too....just not as much as railroad >.>
Moosh
QUOTE (trunks_girl26 @ Apr 16 2006, 03:27 AM)
Ooooh!

Orphanage vs. council house, I think.

And ste, we do say railway here too....just not as much as railroad >.>

orphanages and council houses are different things here. An orphanage is a (state run?) institution for children who's parents have died. A council house is state provided accomodation for people who can't get housing themselves.
Ashbless
QUOTE (CheeseMoose @ Apr 16 2006, 05:11 AM)
A council house is state provided accomodation for people who can't get housing themselves.

Something like a homeless shelter in Canada. I think those are privately run with some gov't funding. Not entirely sure.
Phyllis
We don't say railway at all where I live. tongue.gif

Ange, you're thinking of when I got confused by the way someone was wording something in another thread with the orphanage thing. Our equivalent to a council house would be HUD, I think.
FeralPolyglot
To briefly revisit the Quilt/Comforter/Afghan topic, I was under the impression that something that was a quilt was made of different pieces of material stitched together. By this definition, Though a Granny Square afghan is quite clearly a Granny Square Afghan, it could also be considered a quilt... of sorts.

We should keep a running list somewhere of the vernacular differences between US and UK words.
Phyllis
QUOTE (FeralPolyglot @ Apr 16 2006, 09:20 AM)
To briefly revisit the Quilt/Comforter/Afghan topic, I was under the impression that something that was a quilt was made of different pieces of material stitched together.  By this definition, Though a Granny Square afghan is quite clearly a Granny Square Afghan, it could also be considered a quilt... of sorts. 

No, that's not what a quilt is. A quilt is often made of different pieces of material stitched together, but doesn't have to be.

What makes a quilt a quilt is the fact that it has different layers that are sewn together, usually in a rather intricate way. Look at quilted toilet paper to get the idea. the way the impressions on it bind the layers together -- that's what a quilt is, only with fabric and thread. Those stitches are called quilting. Without it, it's just a comforter (or an afghan, as the case may be).

The regional use of the word is quite different, obviously, but that's the actual definition. Not that it matters overmuch. I'm just a sewing geek.
Daria
Hehehehe, Old Style bedmaking- I was talking about non-fitted sheets, and having a sheet over you which is tucked under the matress, with a blanket over that. The days before duvets (what us Poms think of as duvets) were sold in habitat and people thought gherkins and avocadoes were all the rage.
Izzy
okay, this is a bit off topic, but I felt it had to be said...it's amazing how changing the thing you type after the dot (.) in a website can seriously change things around.

www.ocps.net vs. www.ocps.com
Smiler
Hmmm okay

Moving back onto topic but in a correctional sorta way surely when comparing UK & US it should be Yank vs. Limey shouldn't it?

Pom's are what us Brits are called by the Aussies

Pom, pommy : an Englishman
Pommy b*$t*rd : an Englishman
Pommy shower : using deodorant instead of taking a shower
Pommy's towel, as dry as a : very dry - based on the canard that Poms bathe about once a month

there are more too
... we call them convicts, or barmen if you live in London wink.gif

That would add a whole new aspect to the thread as well... The Aussies call flip flops, thongs ... weird

Rage = party
Yakka = work
and my personal fave - Spunk : a good looking person

wrong I tells ya... wrong
vicrawr
Heard this on NPR/BBC last night.

Double-yew vs. Double-oo
Smiler
As opposed to W (Pron. Dubya ) vs Idiot wink.gif mwhahahahaha
Phyllis
QUOTE (Smiler @ Apr 27 2006, 06:04 AM) *
That would add a whole new aspect to the thread as well... The Aussies call flip flops, thongs ... weird

I grew up calling them that. I still do, to this day. It's not all that common in the US anymore, but it used to be where I live. And I was wondering about the "pom" thing, cause I'd never heard it before.

QUOTE (Smiler @ Apr 27 2006, 09:32 AM) *
As opposed to W (Pron. Dubya ) vs Idiot wink.gif mwhahahahaha

Ohhh we call him an idiot too (well, half of us, anyway). And lots of other choice words. wink.gif
Smiler
Hmmm, when I was in the States loads of people called me a Limey (in a jokey way wink.gif )

Odd that we haven't had the various and diverse English words for boobs and 'breaking lent'
Clatterpop
Timber vs lumber
pgrmdave

Here, it would be called a Mexican shower, or a Puerto Rican shower.
Phyllis
QUOTE (pgrmdave @ May 1 2006, 06:15 PM) *

I have never heard that. I guess the people I hang out with just aren't offensive enough...
LoLo
QUOTE (pgrmdave @ May 1 2006, 06:15 PM) *

Not so nice, but I know you'll get the details of that in the PM sent to you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.