Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Superpowers?
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
Pages: 1, 2
vicrawr
You are the only person on Earth to have this particular power. No one else has it. You may only choose one, not both. Which do you choose? Why do you choose it? What would you do with it? What do you think this says about you as a person?
Daria
I would choose to fly as it would cut down on fuel cost/use/emisions. I could also get from A to B without needing a drivers license, and I could have beautiful views when I travel.
I think it would be pretty incredible to fly much better than being invisble. Being invisible is a bit like hiding- and you can already do that. Flying would just be amazing!
I_am_the_best
Bummer. I picked flight and then decided I'd prefer to be invisible. That way I could leave my house without anyone knowing, walk about the streets at night and not get raped since no one would know I'm there, eat chavs, spy on people, look at tests in school before they're given to us and be crooked in every other way. Oh the possibilities.
Daria
But it you could fly, you could fly above everyone's heads and not get raped. You could also spy on people from the sky.
oscarhilton
i picked invisability.
LoLo
Inivisibility because the things I could do would be fun, plus I'm afraid of heights so I wouldn't want to be up that high.
Novander
Flight. I wouldn't trust myself with invisibility. I'd start off all nice and acting good and everything, but I'd slowly slide to the dark side. Plus, I love heights.
PsychWardMike
Flight because chicks dig dudes who can fly.
Calantyr
Invisibility. All the mischief I could get up to! Teeheehee!

*Farts in peoples faces without them realising... UNTIL TOO LATE!*
Stardust_Smile
Definitley invisibility - Just think of all the Chaos that could be accomplished with that! biggrin.gif And also because there's certain people I wouldn't mind following around...

Me? Stalkerish? Never.... unsure.gif tongue.gif
SPEAKERfortheLOST
INVISIBILITY BABY!!!!

think of the possibilities of it...

you could be employed by so many people...

and for such high quantities of money!!!
voices_in_my_head
I'd go for the invisibility. I'm also afraid of heights (though it's not near as bad as it used to be.) and there are some pretty bad problems you could have with flight. What if you fly too high? If you fly into a jet stream (that could be fun, though)? What happens if you fly into some bad weather?

Being invisible would be pretty cool for sneaking up on people, and I could listen in on people's convesations. unsure.gif NOT THAT I WOULD EVER DO THAT.

As for what that says about me as a person, I think it says that I over-think things.tongue.gif
Ashbless
Flight.

I keep thinking of the X-files episode that showed the down side of being invisible. Noone gets out of your way, traffic fails to see you, people slam doors in your face, etc. Yes you could listen to people but your best friend doesn't smile just because you're there.

Yep, flight.
El Nino
QUOTE (Daria @ Apr 29 2006, 10:49 PM) *
I would choose to fly as it would cut down on fuel cost/use/emisions. I could also get from A to B without needing a drivers license, and I could have beautiful views when I travel.
I think it would be pretty incredible to fly much better than being invisble. Being invisible is a bit like hiding- and you can already do that. Flying would just be amazing!

Although I want both, I'd have to choose invisibility. Because you might get shot at, if you're visible while flying, and although being invisible is like hiding, you don't get to see as much detail when you're hiding, you also can't freak people out while you're hiding (unless you jump out on them and that's not really as good as being able to pick things up and move them around as if they're floating). The only problem that I can see with invisibility is that you wouldn't actually be able to see anything.Because of the way the human eye works.
Usurper MrTeapot
Woah. We need to establish a ground rule here. Can you turn the power off? I'd assume yes, who would want to fly all the time? Your muscles would wither and you'd (as said) have doors slammed in your face.

If I could turn the power off then I'd choose invisibility.
Astarael
Agreed to the "turning power off" bit. If we assume that the human eye would work so that you could still see, I'd pick invisibility. I delight in knowing things that people don't know that I know, and invisibility has all sorts of possibilities in that direction. I'm probably a bit ethically challenged on this bit, but I'd take great delight in using my power to drive one or two people to the brink of insanity. Of course, the flip side is that you can do awesome secret good deeds without anyone knowing your identity. Before anyone says that heroes who fly can be disguised, I want to know how anyone was ever fooled by Superman taking his glasses off and parting his hair on the other side. Besides, masks can be pulled off after people shoot you out of the sky.
trunks_girl26
Mine would have to be a cross between Pyro and Iceman from X-Men, so I'd be a sort of Fire and Ice woman.

Yeah, I'm a complicated girl smile.gif

Edit: Now that I've actually looked at the poll, that's not technically a choice.......but I like it anyway!
Feyliya
Flight for me. I've dreamt about it, I'd like to try it physically.
Daria
QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Apr 30 2006, 04:26 AM) *
Flight because chicks dig dudes who can fly.

It's true, we do.

QUOTE (Feyliya @ May 1 2006, 04:58 AM) *
Flight for me. I've dreamt about it, I'd like to try it physically.

Same here- I once jumped off the top of the stairs when I was little, and managed to land without hurting myself. The memory of that flying feeling has stayed with me forever, and I have been so tempted many many times to do it again- just the problem of breaing myself when I land.
WeeJ
Sorry Irish, you've stated you can't have both...but tough...I want both tongue.gif
Saratina
Invisibility would rock, but it would be awfully inconvenient to have to strip every time you wanted to use your power. The thought of running around naked, invisible or no, creeps me out. So flight it is.
Izzy
OK, I accidently clicked on "flight" instead of "invisibility" in the poll, but I choose invisbility. If I could turn invisible, I'd be able to do almost anything. Sneak into concerts, the movies,ANYWHERE!. And if you think about, if you turn invisible, you can fly. Free airplane trips!

If we wouldn't be allowed to do anything illegal with our powers, I'd choose flying, but otherwise, I'm invisible!
Primate
I picked flying, mostly because I'm lazy. I could get from my chair to the fridge without ever technically getting up.

It would also be fun to wear a really long coat and pretend you're like 11ft tall.
{Gothic Angel}
The thought of running around naked, invisible or no, creeps me out.

The invisible woman from the Fantastic Four can trun her clothes invisible as well as herself. Precedent set.
Usurper MrTeapot
But the Invisible Man had to take off his clothes.

Invisibility turns out to be more complicated that previously thought!
Saratina
The invisible woman from the Fantastic Four can trun her clothes invisible as well as herself. Precedent set.

Yeah, but only because her suit had been zapped by the same rays that turned HER invisible. Assuming that your superpower didn't come from being zapped, how exactly does that work? Anything that's touching you turns invisible? That could get complicated.
LoLo
QUOTE (MrTeapot @ May 2 2006, 04:40 PM) *
But the Invisible Man had to take off his clothes.

Invisibility turns out to be more complicated that previously thought!

So not only can you be invisible, but you can be an exhibisionist of sorts! Makes it even better if you ask me. lol

For some reason the thought of T magically appearing in some girls room from his invisibility with his pinky turned to his mouth and "oops" face popped into my head. Don't worry I didn't see anything from the belly down in my head. lol
Usurper MrTeapot
In that case you missed the best part, Lo.
{Gothic Angel}
Yeah, but only because her suit had been zapped by the same rays that turned HER invisible.

I'm reasonably certain that in the comics, and the cartoon, she wasn't wearing a suit emblazoned with the fantastic four logo when she got zapped tongue.gif The fantastic four hadn't been formed then, so she wouldn't have had the suit anyway. Also, her clothes turn invisible with her when she's wearing regular clothes both in the film and in the cartoon, so I'm pretty sure that it doesn't have anything to do with her clothes accquiring super powers as well.

Superman has an "aura" of invulnerability which extends a few millimetres from his skin - just far enough to prevent his costume being destroyed - so maybe the power of invisibility has a similar range? I seem to recall several instances of shape-shifting superheroes only keeping skin-tight clothing after changing back from an alternate form as well.
Usurper MrTeapot
Doesn't explain why his cape never gets shot to hell when its all flowing behind him.

As long as I don't get chased to the arctic while invisible then I'm fine with getting naked to use my superpower.
Novander
The problem with invisibility is that the lens in your eye would be invisible, allowing light to pass straight through it rather than focusing it. So you'd effectively be blind.
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
This is vaguely irrelavent but I am getting adverts for X-men III on this thread!
Phyllis
QUOTE (Novander @ May 3 2006, 09:32 AM) *
The problem with invisibility is that the lens in your eye would be invisible, allowing light to pass straight through it rather than focusing it. So you'd effectively be blind.

Pft. I'd get around that. With MAGIC.

I'd want to be invisible, assuming I could see and wear clothes. I could fly any time I wanted, simply by sneaking onto a plane. biggrin.gif
gothictheysay
I can't decide, but I thought I should mention I took pieces of paper in each hand and tried to seriously sustain some type of flight by jumping off the top of three stairs to the landing. I got all excited when I thought I stayed up a little more than usual. I probably looked like a freak, flapping my arms and such.

edit: I was like seven or something at the time as well
Calantyr
Bah. Vote invisibility. You can easily fly by getting your sidekick to make you some rocket boots.
El Nino
QUOTE (MrTeapot @ May 3 2006, 05:08 PM) *
Doesn't explain why his cape never gets shot to hell when its all flowing behind him.

I thought supermans costume was sent in the pod with him as a child from Krypton so it too would be invulnerable.

But I think the original post said you could only have the invisibility or flight. No other superpowers like invulnerability or witchcraft. So magic's out of the question. So the only other possibility for the eye thing that both me and novander mentioned with invisibility would be cybernetics which would cost a f*cking bomb. And the person/people that designed and created the device would be very interested in why you wanted it as you're clearly not blind when you're visible.
Moosh
Couldn't you jsut get round the problems of the eye thing by saying your power is to be invisible to others, but visible to yourself? If we're going to say it's possible to be invisible, then surely it's possible to have it so you can see yourself?
PsychWardMike
My problem with invisibility and needing to be naked for it to work well isn't that being naked is a modesty issue. Shoes are very practical for not getting glass and such stuck in your feet. That would suck hard, and if clothes weren't covered by your invisibility, then that would suck muchly.

Therefore, I reckon one could fly nekkid.
Spawn Of Evil
Flying all the way for me. All these people who have pick invis because they have a fear of heights, Isn't it falling from heights that brings on the fear. You can't fall so it should be easy to get beyond it.
Misty Rain
I chose flight.

What I would really like though is to be a time traveller but controllable and with your clothes on. Not like in The Time Traveller's Wife.

Misty Rain
Cookieflair
!! Invisibility no doubt! You could steal things and play tricks on people. Imagine if you were at a concert you could climb on the stage wow!
MUHAHAHAHAHA
Primate
QUOTE (Cookieflair @ Jun 2 2006, 09:28 PM) *
!! Invisibility no doubt! You could steal things and play tricks on people. Imagine if you were at a concert you could climb on the stage wow!
MUHAHAHAHAHA

It has always been a dream of mine to do this with a singer I didn't like and detune his guitar.
CrazyFooIAintGettinOnNoPlane
I pick invisibility. I think flying would be fun, but I'd get bored of it after a while and I'd have to go flying at night in case people see me. None of that with invisibilty! You could get up to all sorts of mischief and never be caught.. evil.gif
Silver Star Angel of Da Towers
I would choose the power of flight. My commute is too long. Also, I want to be able to get out of uncomfortable situations. And imagine what it would be like to see things from a bird's eye view! laugh.gif
Star_of_Lei
QUOTE ({Gothic Angel} @ May 3 2006, 04:58 PM) *
Yeah, but only because her suit had been zapped by the same rays that turned HER invisible.

I'm reasonably certain that in the comics, and the cartoon, she wasn't wearing a suit emblazoned with the fantastic four logo when she got zapped tongue.gif The fantastic four hadn't been formed then, so she wouldn't have had the suit anyway. Also, her clothes turn invisible with her when she's wearing regular clothes both in the film and in the cartoon, so I'm pretty sure that it doesn't have anything to do with her clothes accquiring super powers as well.

The suit is specially designed to change molecule thingies, hence why it can stand up to heat , stretch AND turn invisible.

But I don't care. I wanna be invisible.
Libitha
I went for invisibility because if you had flight everyone would know because they would see you flying around, were as invisibility you can do what you want because you can keep it a secret. laugh.gif
That_Guy
Invisibility. It would work like this: you can create or destroy a blanket of Metamaterials that surrounds your body, deflecting all radiation. More like bending it though, the waves just sort of go around the material, giving the victim the illusion that they can see right through you. It would propably end up looking like Camoflage from the "Halo" Series, but the distortion would not be as acute or defined.
Star_of_Lei
I want both, but I'd only have flight if it meant wings. Flight without wings looks way silly.
Cookieflair
QUOTE (Star_of_Lei @ Jun 27 2006, 03:38 PM) *
I want both, but I'd only have flight if it meant wings. Flight without wings looks way silly.

Hmmmm i agree. Big angel wings which are black *sigh*
That_Guy
Or neon green smile.gif

C'mon, it's original. How many people do you see walking around town decked out in full Day-Glo?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.