Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wolf
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft > Games
Pages: 1, 2
WeeJ
H'ok, I saw this game played on another forum ages ago but I'm not 100% sure of the rules so if anyone else has heard of it please pipe up...

On the most basic level, players are divided into two groups. Wolves and humans. The wolves are able to kill someone every turn, and the playerbase as a whole are able to lynch someone else in a similar amount of time by voting. The person with the most votes will get lynched at a set time. The wolves are looking to reduce the human numbers to the same level as their own numbers. The humans are looking to exterminate all of the wolves.

From here on it becomes a psychological challenge, to try and read people, mentally disect dodgy arguments and come to conclusions based on who has wanted who dead.

Special roles are generally included. The most common of which are the Seer (who can find the identity of one player per turn), the Guardian Angel (who can protect one named player per turn from werewolf attacks) and the Masons (who are aware of each others identities from the start). Less common are the Vigilante (who can kill one player per game at any time) and the Cupid (who can declare two players to be "lovers" who die when the other does). (If this game were to take off, I doubt all those roles would be necessary)

I think someone has to sort of be in charge of the whole game to decide who lives and dies, so to speak. I also think it needs a fair few players to actually play it properly. The game doesn't really just stay in one thread, it can take place by people trying to misdirect in IM's, IRC, other threads and so on, so forth (without taking over the whole forum obviously)

As I've said...I'm a bit sketchy on how you play it, but if anyone fancies a go, post away smile.gif
Astarael
I once played a similar game for real life called Mafia, and it was fun, but I don't really know how to organize the rules. For the game to be fun you need some sort of omnipotent character who knows all the rules perfectly and keeps a running list of who's who. Good luck!
WeeJ
As I said...I'm a bit sketchy on it tbh :/

::EDIT:: Ok, on second thoughts...unless there's someone out there who knows how to play this game properly, I'd just forget the whole thing. I really don't think I know the game well enough to make it successful.

Sorry guys, I'm a bit rubbish at games. (I'm the master at snap though tongue.gif )
Izzy
QUOTE (Astarael @ May 11 2006, 04:33 PM) *
I once played a similar game for real life called Mafia, and it was fun, but I don't really know how to organize the rules.

I've played that game! It's a bit different from Wolf but the rules are as follows. First, you get a bunch of people to sit in a circle. Then a certain number of murderers are picked, a certain number of detectives, and 1 Angel. Every turn, the murderers choose 1 person each they want to kill, and unless the Angel picks that person to save, they die. Then, everyturn the detectives get to pick 1 person each who they think the murderers are. They tell the person they think is the murderer to the person conducting the game, and if they are right, when everyone "wakes up" that murderer dies. Then, when the whole city is awake, a few people are chosen to tell who they think the murder is. Then the rest of the townspeople vote.

It's a fun game, but I don't think I'd be very easy to do online.

QUOTE (WeeJ @ May 11 2006, 04:33 PM) *
::EDIT:: Ok, on second thoughts...unless there's someone out there who knows how to play this game properly, I'd just forget the whole thing. I really don't think I know the game well enough to make it successful.

I know how to play it properly. Well, the Mafia version of it.
I_am_the_best
I think I once played this game with different character names and such in France, hence, all in French and I didn't understand a great amount. We played it with cards and if you received any of the spades, you were the werewolves, who, when people shut their eyes, could bite more people. There was also cupid and a witch (the seer) and a good witch (the guardian angel). I am intrigued as to how this can be played on forums but I'm keen to give it a go!
Izzy
OK, I think I know how we may be able to play it on Matazone.(I'm going to use the Mafia version as an example because I don't know all the roles for wolf, but we could change them later) First, we need a decent number of people to sign up. Then, we choose someone to assign (PM would probably work best) everone that signed up a character (Weej could probably do this because the game was her idea, unless she doesn't want to). Then, once everyone has something to be, the conducter will say "Murderers (wolves?) wake up" And then they each PM the conducter one person each they want to kill. Then the conducter will say "Murderers (wolves) go to sleep. Angel wake up" Then the angel wakes up, and PM's the person they want to save to the conducter. Then the conducter will say "ANgels, go to sleep. Detectives (Seers?) wake up." Then the Detectives pick 1 person who they think is the Murderer (wolf) and so on and so on. Once every role has had a turn, the conductor will say "Townspeople wake up" and everyone will start posting who they think is the Murderer (wolf). The person with the most votes dies, and has to sit out until the game is over. Then, the conductor will tell everyone the role of the person they killed. Once everyone dies, or all the wolves are eliminated, the game starts over. I think that would make it work.

I'm signing up. Who else wants to try?
Usurper MrTeapot
I love the Mafia version, if you ever go camping with me (and especially if there are drugs and alcohol involved) then you will almost certainly be forced to play.

I'm signing up, and if needed I'll help organise.
Primate
I actually only sent Lolo a PM about this last night, and was going to start the thread except I didn't have enough posts to do so. Isn't life full of scary little coincidences?

Theres actually a rather big online community that plays this game regularly, and I have played in several games on different forums, notably www.mafiascum.net

I have never played it in person but from what i gather, the differences are relatively small.

I would happily mod this if everyone else is uncertain, but if not, I'm definately in to play.

EDIT: Here are the, far too wordy, rules for beginner games from mafiascum. Of course this is all dependent on the mod, and he can make it more interesting as he see's fit.
Mafia is a game with two basic teams: the "town" and the "mafia." The town is always the larger of the two groups (typically 2.5-3 times the size of the mafia), but they suffer from a lack of information. In general, no member of the town knows any of his teammates, and is therefore put into a position where s/he cannot trust anyone. Each townie is inherently dangerous, because they have a vote, which they can cast at any other player. If a majority of players vote for a single player at any time, that player is lynched. S/he is then "dead" and can no longer participate in the game.

The mafia members, on the other hand, do know the identities of each other member, which gives them enormous potential power. They will never be put into a position where they must risk losing a team member unknowingly. In addition, they have the ability to nightkill a player.

The game is divided into days and nights. Days are the times when conversations in the thread take place. Any player may generally post any opinions, ideas, or lies they feel like posting, as long as they are within the guidelines set forth by the mod. This may include accusations, arguments, defenses, speculation, and most importantly, votes. Once a player is lynched by a majority, the Day - which may take weeks to conclude Ė ends. The game enters a period of Night, during which the mafia may converse via PM, and the mod will manage any abilities, such as nightkills. The mafiaís conversations will eventually end with a decision as to who to nightkill; the final choice is sent to the mod. That player is then "dead" and may no longer participate.

Any number of other abilities may also be used, though these are specific to each game. One of the more common roles with abilities include cops, which can investigate a player each night by sending that name to the mod. The mod will then respond to that player with a result of innocent or guilty Ė an indicator of whether or not a player is a member of the mafia. Another common role is the doc, who can send in the name of a player at night with the hope of defending them. If that player would have been killed that night, the doc's ability prevents the kill.
vicrawr
Sounds fun to me! I get a gun, right?

What're the rules on wolves humping legs? Is that allowed?
monkey_called_narth
wolf: you got all of the parts right.

to start you have somone be "god" and every put on blindfolds. "god" says "i shall pick the wolves" and walks around tapping the wolves on the head. he then tells the wolves to remove there blindfolds and see each other.

the same happens with the masons. the objective of the masons is to get rid of everyone that isnt a mason.

you then assign each part in turn announcing that you are assigning it.

every turn when the game is going, you have a debate over who should be removed, and then they are removed.

the blindfolds are placed back on, and then the wolves remove there blindfolds and pick a person to kill.

after the person to kill has been picked the angel takes of the blindfold, and chooses who to "save" from the wolves. however, you can't tell the angel who had been picked by the wolves. the person chosen also does not have to "die" if they are chosen to be lynched.

the rules, and gameplay.
I_am_the_best
I'm all up for it. I'm already feeling excited to the extent that this sentence dserves an exclamation mark!
Primate
Weeellll, about the smallest game that you can play without it being a farce is, from my experience, a seven player game. Two mafia, five town and a mod, with power roles inclusive. Assuming that everyone who has actually said that they are in actually wants to do it, that means we have enough to get started.

A point of relevance though, Mafia games on forums tend to last for quite a while, normally about 2-3 weeks. The normal etiquette is that if someone doesnt contribute for a set amount of time, they are replaced by someone who has a bit more time to devote to it, so the game can actually carry on. Baring in mind that this forum doesn't seem as active as most forums this is played on, I would say that 72 hours is probably the right amount of time before it starts to be a problem.

Now we just need to wait for everyone to confirm that they are /in, and then we can send out the role PMs and get this game started.

I actually just joined up for a 31 player game over on Mafiascum, that thing's going to be interesting, I think it's the biggest game yet.
Felander
I have played this on the PC Gamer UK Forums. It's basically a case of just signing up for a game (it's known as The Werewolf Game) and giving it a go. Trouble is, unless there's a large number of active players during the day, the thing kind of dies on its arse.
WeeJ
They both sound pretty similar games. Thanks for thinking of me Devils Daughter, but I think it's probably best is someone who knows the game properly carries out the moddy role.

If this happens, I'm in smile.gif
Primate
Lets do this then?

1.WeeJ
2.I am the Best
3.Primate
4.Devils Daughter
5.MrTeapot
6.Cheesmoose
7.Narth
8.Felander

Everyone else I wasn't sure wether they were commiting or just saying they liked the idea.
The list can be bigger if needs be, but lets just try and fill it first.
We'll decide who Mods when we have the full list. I'll edit this one as we get new people to sign up.
Moosh
I'll have a bash

1. WeeJ
2. I am the Best
3. Primate
4. Devils Daughter
5. MrTeapot
6. CheeseMoose
monkey_called_narth
1. WeeJ
2. I am the Best
3. Primate
4. Devils Daughter
5. MrTeapot
6. CheeseMoose
7. narthie- avalible for moddy... ive taught and played the wolf game several times
WeeJ
Are we playing wolf or the Mafia game?
Felander
Consider me In.
Primate
They are the same thing, except with different flavour. Personally I prefer the idea of having 1920's gangsters to werewolves, but thats just my individual belief. It doesn't really matter anyway, either ways good, it's up for the mod to decide what we do.

EDIT: Alright, we're full. If anyone has any objections to me modding, say so now, 'cause I'm going to send out the PMs that tell you what role you are within the next 48 hours. Personally I just want to get this thing going without messing about.

SECOND EDIT: If anyone else wants to sign up in the next 48 hours feel free, there is still a bit of extra space for a couple more.

THIRD EDIT: Major kudos to Felander for signing in right.
Usurper MrTeapot
Too right I'm in.
Primate
GAME STARTS HERE AND NOW

DAY 1.

Ripped shamelessy from another game.

What a nasty little town this has become. Mafia have arrived and are systematically gunning down the nice townfolk. What should decent, smart people do? MOVE, of course. What are YOU gonna do? Try to figure out who the bad guys are and lynch 'em during the daylight! I'm not kidding, folks. That's the plan. Deal with it.

Alive (7)
WeeJ
I_am_the_Best.
Devils Daughter
Mr Teapot
Cheesemoose
Narth
Felander

Dead (0)
Nobody! Huzzah!

No current deadline

It's 4 votes to lynch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
One of the following four set-ups is used for this game:

a) 2 mafia, 1 cop, 1 doc, 3 townies
b ) 2 mafia, 1 cop, 4 townies
c) 2 mafia, 1 doc, 4 townies
d) 2 mafia, 5 townies

Note: in view of the number of players, we will start in the day phase, although most larger games start with a night. The mafia will be allowed to communicate pre-game, though no role will submit choices until Day 1 is over.

Possible roles:

You are the mafia. You may only talk with each other during the game's "night," not during the "day." You let me know before the night's deadline who will be your victim. You win the game when all the other players are dead.

You are the cop. Every "night" before the deadline you send me a message with a name of your choice, and I will let you know whether that player is mafia or not. You are not allowed to communicate with any of the other players outside the thread. You win the game when the mafia are dead.

You are the doctor. Every "night" before the deadline you send me a message with a name of your choice, and that player cannot die if attacked by the mafia that night. You cannot heal yourself. You are not allowed to communicate with any of the other players outside the thread. You win the game when the mafia are dead.

You are a townie. You are not allowed to communicate with any of the other players outside the thread. You win the game when the mafia are dead.

The Rules:
Votes must be in bold. If you do not bold your vote, it will not be counted.

Please be attentive and unvote, if necessary, before casting a new vote. This is not required, but Iíd appreciate it.

Executions will require a simple majority of votes. Once a player has reached the necessary majority, his pleas are useless and any attempts to unvote will be unheeded. You may vote: no lynch Ė majority votes of this kind are necessary to end the day without a death.

The game is not to be discussed outside of the thread unless your role specifically states that you may do so.

Once your death scene has been posted, youíre dead. Stop typing.

Donít edit/delete previously submitted posts

Donít quote any PMs from me.

If you have a night choice to make, it is due by the posted deadline. I will not wait for you Ė if you do not submit a choice to me, tough! No choice will be made.

If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 72-hour period, please post a notice to that effect in the thread. Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate Ė donít leave us hanging.

Remember, itís a game. Itís supposed to played. Itís supposed to be fun. Do your part.

GO!!!! FOR GREAT JUSTICE!!!

To get you into the game, may I recommend randomly voting people willy nilly at the beginning in order to get the discussion going?

Good luck town, catch those scum.
WeeJ
I'm at Sam's this weekend so bear with me if my posts are sporadic.

So....who's the Mafia type people? Own up!
Usurper MrTeapot
*shakes fist* Yeah, come out with your hands up.

Can I start accusing people?
Izzy
When's the night going to be over? I wanna see who's dead!*crosses fingers* not me..not me..not me...
Primate
QUOTE (devils_daughter @ May 19 2006, 11:45 AM) *
When's the night going to be over? I wanna see who's dead!*crosses fingers* not me..not me..not me...

*ahem*

QUOTE ('me @ from above')
Note: in view of the number of players, we will start in the day phase, although most larger games start with a night. The mafia will be allowed to communicate pre-game, though no role will submit choices until Day 1 is over. The night starts once you lynch.
monkey_called_narth
i bet teapot is one of the mafia... he seemed to just right in there and was ready to accuse people.
Usurper MrTeapot
I counter accuse you. Only a Mafia person would point the first finger with a poor reason.
Moosh
Hmm, I'm with Teapot. I think Narthie's a mafia type.
Usurper MrTeapot
Word, Moose.

And another thing, narth. What was that truck doing parked outside your house late last night? I could have sworn I saw lots of big burley men unloading crates into your garage. I saw the whole thing while out walking my non-mafia dog.
monkey_called_narth
heh... you seemed to be the one ready to go with the accusations. why would you ask if you could start accusing people if you wernt trying to get rid of people?

and what were you doing out last night if you wernt part of the mafia? you should have been at home in bed like i was.
Usurper MrTeapot
I told you, I was out walking my dog. You seem rather nervous for someone who claims not to be in the mafia. I think that only backs up my accusation!
Primate
Again, some people have expresed confusion as to whether it is night or day. It is now day, as soon s you lynch someone, it becomes night. So far there have been no nights. If you look at the top of the post with the big writing, that will be updated as the game continues with info like who's dead, what day, night we're on and whatnot.
monkey_called_narth
QUOTE (MrTeapot @ May 21 2006, 02:19 AM) *
I told you, I was out walking my dog. You seem rather nervous for someone who claims not to be in the mafia. I think that only backs up my accusation!

im not the one that posted twice to try and acusse me now was i? you sure do post alot for somone thats just a simple villiger. its almost like you think if you post enough that youll take the blame off yourself.

your giving yourself away teapot.
WeeJ
I give it a few more hours before this game dies on it's arse tbh...
Felander
To be honest, the game should be in a more active folder of the forum and needs more players. This forum simply isn't active enough to host a game of Wolf.

Personally, I vote monkey_called_narth to get the ball rolling.
Usurper MrTeapot
I vote monkey_called_narth not for any reason other than she accused me.
Moosh
I vote Monkey_called_narth because I'm crazy that way.
Usurper MrTeapot
Come on WeeJ, don't be like that.

We need just one more vote to secure a majority to lynch. Everybody likes a good lynching, right?
WeeJ
I vote Monkey Called Narth

MrTeapot, I'm not being negative. I'm stating that this game is bound to fall on it's arse as Felander is right. There's not enough people in this game to make it work.
Usurper MrTeapot
Ah well. Matazone Suvivor died but I had fun until it did.
Primate
huh.gif How?....How?.......How in gods name did you do that? You accused him practically randomly and you get a Mafia? Christ, you jammy bastards.

It is now night. Deadline for night choices is 12:00 midnight on the 25th (Thursday). Night choices include the mafia, docs and cops. NO POSTING during night.
If I get them in before this, I'll end it early of course.

Huggles,
Your holy Mod.
monkey_called_narth
QUOTE (Primate @ May 22 2006, 06:52 PM) *
huh.gif How?....How?.......How in gods name did you do that? You accused him practically randomly and you get a Mafia? Christ, you jammy bastards.

It is now night. Deadline for night choices is 12:00 midnight on the 25th (Thursday). Night choices include the mafia, docs and cops. NO POSTING during night.

Huggles,
Your holy Mod.

heh... im far more convincing in real life... i promis. i used to be a champ at this game back in the days. then again, most people voted me becasue teapot told them too. so i blame him.

go you teapot.

on the upside i know who is going down from the town... heh. you crazy bastard.
Usurper MrTeapot
I know I'm not supposed to post but what the hell.

I had no idea, it was just a stab in the dark. You had me worried too though Narth.
Felander
QUOTE (monkey_called_narth @ May 23 2006, 04:32 AM) *
QUOTE (Primate @ May 22 2006, 06:52 PM) *

Huggles,
Your holy Mod.

heh... im far more convincing in real life... i promis. i used to be a champ at this game back in the days. then again, most people voted me becasue teapot told them too. so i blame him.

go you teapot.

on the upside i know who is going down from the town... heh. you crazy bastard.

Nah, I voted for you because of the speed with which you jumped on Teapot and accused him. Classic wolf/mafia behaviour.
monkey_called_narth
yes well, thats you. heh.
Primate
DAY 2

You wake up from you snuggly little beds to find....

Shock! Horror!

It appears that there is a horses head in the bed next to Cheesemoose.

Oh yeah, and he's dead too.

Some people might say that the second fact kind of makes the first one pointless, but we're dealing with a very thorough Mafia here lads, I'd watch out if I were you.

Cheesemoose was Town.

It's day 2 and it's 3 to lynch!

Alive
Mr Teapot
Devils Daughter
I am the Best
Weej
Felander.

Deaded
Monkey called Narth-Mafia-Lynched day 1
Cheesemoose-Town-Killed night 1
Usurper MrTeapot
Can I accuse a certain two people who didn't vote for Narthie? Two birds with one stone...or something.
Izzy
I couldn't vote for one simple reason Mr Teapot. I'm in Germany and couldn't get computer acess.The only reason I'm on right now is because my mom sent me to school with her friend (she's a teacher) and I got a 100% on an English test, which earned me computer time.

Easiest test in the world!!!!!!!!!
I know who I'm acusing...
Usurper MrTeapot
Well I'll accuse IATB then.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.