Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Father's Day
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Personal concerns
Ashbless
I was looking through Father's day cards the other day. Couldn't find one that expressed what I truly feel.

"You apparently love me dearly but have disowned my @s and those of my brothers. dry.gif Happy Father's Day"

I always knew that I wouldn't inherit anything. My younger brother is handicapped and anything was to go to a trust fund to look after his needs. This trust was to be looked after jointly by my older brother and I. To prevent either from selfishly spending on anything but little brother's needs. Now it's not going to happen.

Dad got remarried. She doesn't much care for the normal kids and hasn't had anything to do with the handicapped one. Lives half hour away and can't be bothered to make a visit. Dad has cut down his visiting our bro since his marriage. He used to visit once a week and now visits occasionally once every two months. In the event of his death the will states She gets everything.

But Dad assures us that Greedy Bitch is not an aspect of her character and that she will faithfully look after the needs of someone she really doesn't give a d@m about. Then on her death the joint estate goes between all the kids. Pull the other one - it's got bells on. What I believe is that before the ink is dry on his death certificate she'll have changed her will because her husband's children "didn't show her the proper amount of respect." If we'd only been a little kinder to her she wouldn't feel justified scr*wing us over.

I'm just a little sh*h@d who unreasonably wants her father to still be part of her life. Selfish, invasive, irritating and passive aggressive. My Father's wife has called me all these. She called my older brother a little b@tard and tried to throw him out when he went to visit. In front of my Dad. Who just sat there.

So where do you find an appropriate Father's Day card?
Izzy
I don't think they sell cards like that, but there's a small possibility they have some in Spencer's. If not, just make one. It'd probably have a stronger effect if you made it.
Daria
*hugs*
I hate father's day. Alot. I have no grattitude towards my "dad" since he left 5 years ago, and now I have found out that my biological father is my step-dad (long story involving the 80s) I am confused as to whether I should do anything or not. We all sort of view him as our dad (me and my 3 siblings whose dad is the original "dad") but if I were to do anything different it might make things seem a little odd.
Izzy
I havn't seen my dad in 8 years (the j@ck@ss didn't even bother showing up when I was in Germany), so I don't plan to send him anything. Never have, never will.
Sir Psycho Sexy
Strangly enough, my I'm probably closer to my Dad now than I ever was when he was living at home, sure him living in France is a sh1t but he still gives a damn about my sister and I (he's been to England a helluva lot while my sister's bloke's been ill).

Not saying this is what you should do, but if this were my dad and the situation were the same, I'd very likely tell him exactly where he could insert it.

...the C word would probably be involved too...
Ashbless
QUOTE (Daria @ Jun 7 2006, 11:12 AM) *
*hugs*
I hate father's day. Alot. I have no grattitude towards my "dad" since he left 5 years ago, and now I have found out that my biological father is my step-dad (long story involving the 80s) I am confused as to whether I should do anything or not. We all sort of view him as our dad (me and my 3 siblings whose dad is the original "dad") but if I were to do anything different it might make things seem a little odd.

If your step-Dad is who you feel is Dad then why not get him a father's day card?

My Dad is more than likely getting a blank card with a semi-apropriate pic on front and inside these words:
"Miss you. Happy Father's Day. Daughter."
Feyliya
The thing I ever plan on giving my father if he ever comes near me again is a restraining order. Thank the gods he doesn't know where I live.

You know, we come from a generation of bad parents, fathers especially. It's like they didn't even realize that having a kid meant having an actual HUMAN depending on them. It's like they thought they were just giving birth to a small, humanoid pet.
Ashbless
Ah, but that's where the pain lies. For years he was a very good Dad. I felt we were close, we'd chat on the phone every week, and he was always someone I felt I could depend on. Now we don't talk. Some days I feel like I don't have a parent at all.

Yes okay, I'm a grown adult fully capable of looking after herself. I don't NEED Dad. But to have him turn his back on us? He hasn't even bothered asking for my address, now that I've moved, and I've been here for nearly 5 months. I used to solely blame Her. I don't anymore. As he said to my older brother - it's all about choices.
Cookieflair
QUOTE (Ashbless @ Jun 8 2006, 03:10 PM) *
Ah, but that's where the pain lies. For years he was a very good Dad. I felt we were close, we'd chat on the phone every week, and he was always someone I felt I could depend on. Now we don't talk. Some days I feel like I don't have a parent at all.

Yes okay, I'm a grown adult fully capable of looking after herself. I don't NEED Dad. But to have him turn his back on us? He hasn't even bothered asking for my address, now that I've moved, and I've been here for nearly 5 months. I used to solely blame Her. I don't anymore. As he said to my older brother - it's all about choices.

Who says you dont need a father? We all need someone we need for support and if you were as close as you say you were then thats gotta hurt.
Count yourself lucky i have never even met my dad. i was the result of a night of passion between my mother (who was working as an au pair in Ger at the time) and some russian guy who i think was called "alexander". (which i think may be why she called me alexandra) She wasnt even geneous enough to make me siblings!
Izzy
QUOTE (Cookieflair @ Jun 8 2006, 12:29 PM) *
She wasnt even geneous enough to make me siblings!

But it's sooo fun being an only child. smile.gif
Daria
QUOTE (Ashbless @ Jun 8 2006, 02:03 AM) *
QUOTE (Daria @ Jun 7 2006, 11:12 AM) *

*hugs*

If your step-Dad is who you feel is Dad then why not get him a father's day card?

My Dad is more than likely getting a blank card with a semi-apropriate pic on front and inside these words:
"Miss you. Happy Father's Day. Daughter."

Heh, my step dad IS my dad. I still just see him as "Keith" though- a very close family friend who has always been there and now just happens to stay with us alot of the time. ... And is like a dad. But not. Well, i suppose he is, but he isn't like the previous one- even though he had some good moments.

Arg. Feyliya, you're right about the generation of bad fathers- on the other hand, I am sure every generation has its share and people who have been emotionaly hurt, just come together to talk about it. Some people are hurt more than others as well- I know that I am hurt and affected by it, but it hasn't stopped me from being me. *shrugs* Although perhaps it has. Meh, I get annoyed at mother's day stuff too, even though my mum is the best (most of the time).
Aislinn Faye
Wow, I never know what to get my dad for father's day... I don't know if I will....he's a father when its easy for him, but when I need him he's no where to be found. I know your dad may be a pee pee head but about the whole address thing and the callings, did you try to stay connected with him? And if you wanna be a real meany, let him find out your address with a nasty letter, or do like the did in the Ya Ya Sisterhood and cut out all the nice stuff in the father's day card and just mail him that. It'll be symbolic enough I would think.
Libitha
Hug to all...
I kinda know how some of you feel I was four when my dad left, at first he stayed in touch but time and time again he has let me and my sister down and he cant possibly expect me or my sister to like hs new wife because she was one of the reasons my parnets split in the frist place. mad.gif so one year I got so pissed at him I sent every christmas card and birthday card back to him saying please don't send me no more, he still does which pisses me off even more because he does not listen.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.