Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Summer Holiday fun
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Faerieryn
OK so here's the idea. Because the Winchester meet is now going to happen much later in the year and we have plenty of summer holiday time I thought we might have a london meet involving picnics and beer. Any thoughts on interest and dates post em here
Witless
Long as it's on a weekend, then it sounds fine and dandy for me.
An August summer weekend sound good?
Daria
That sounds awesome- could it be late August?
Cath Sparrow
Well my trip to the Rock & Blues festival looks to be canceled so I might be able to transfer the money for that to a trip to London but money's a bit tight so I'm not sure.
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (Cath @ Jun 22 2006, 05:39 PM) *
Well my trip to the Rock & Blues festival looks to be canceled so I might be able to transfer the money for that to a trip to London but money's a bit tight so I'm not sure.

Rock and Blues? I didn't think much of that when I was working there, that said, they did have Twisted Sister...and a wet t-shirt competition without much in the way of t-shirts or water. Bulldog Bash is better by far if you're comparing bike rally/festivals (all the cool kids from Glastonbury go to Bulldog Bash when Glastonbury ain't on).
Cath Sparrow
Yeh but the Rock and Blues has Vixen playing. I wanted to go and laugh. tongue.gif
Faerieryn
QUOTE (Cath @ Jun 22 2006, 05:39 PM) *

Well should Matt and I had moved by then our couch will be your couch!!!
Cath Sparrow
Do I get to keep it for when me and Wyvern get a place? tongue.gif
Usurper MrTeapot
A London meet would be great; we have many parks that could provide summer lounging space, add a beer cooler and some munch, I couldn't think of anything I'd rather do.
Faerieryn
You certainly do not. My thieving Pirate friend!!!
Daria
QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Jun 27 2006, 12:49 AM) *
A London meet would be great; we have many parks that could provide summer lounging space, add a beer cooler and some munch, I couldn't think of anything I'd rather do.

'Tis very true. Londinium parks are awesome. You find interesting people trying to push over trees, in them.
Faerieryn
So a plan is forming yes?

May I suggest a weekend in mid august? Most small kiddies will be away on holiday by then
froggle-rock
As I said in the Winchester Meet thread, I won't be able to do the weekend around the 12th of August.

Weekend after?
Spacehappy
I am in London for the 4th,5th,6th and 7th of August. If you are able to set it for those dates, then the welsh puppy kicker will be there. laugh.gif
Faerieryn
Unfortunately I'm having a wisdom tooth out on the 7th, but before that would be fine. It's Smiler's birthday on the 5th!!!
froggle-rock
5th of August then? I mean, it's been so long since I witnesses Space's Navel of Fork Disapearing. wink.gif
Spacehappy
QUOTE (funked)out_frog @ Jun 28 2006, 10:58 PM) *
5th of August then? I mean, it's been so long since I witnesses Space's Navel of Fork Disapearing. wink.gif

The fork trick was a one off, and my gp has told me to get healthy and lose weight (which is damn hard, so damn hard), but that weekend 5-6th would be awesome on my very tight budget. I really want to get to see some of you this year and i know i will not be able to attend Winchester sad.gif . I need a Cath fix! smile.gif
Tarantio
oh my god, oh my god, oh my god (omg omg omg, but I'm too excited to abbreviate). I just got word from my bank today, my student overdraft has been approved. This can mean only one thing: Tara hits London again ohmy.gif
I'll be looking for a place to crash, mind you, so if anyone has anything going (or a suggestion as to a b+b/hotel that I can go to) please let me know. Confucious, he say "w00t!".
Cath Sparrow
I'm afraid due to it looking like I'm going to be moving in the next month and August the 5th being to bloody popular for it's own damn good I dont think I will be able to make it. Sorry guys sad.gif If anything changes I'll let you know.
Spacehappy
QUOTE (Cath @ Jun 30 2006, 08:14 AM) *
I'm afraid due to it looking like I'm going to be moving in the next month and August the 5th being to bloody popular for it's own damn good I dont think I will be able to make it. Sorry guys sad.gif If anything changes I'll let you know.

Then the answer is simple ...don't move laugh.gif
Cath Sparrow
I think Wyvern may have one or two issues with that....
Spacehappy
QUOTE (Cath @ Jun 30 2006, 08:35 PM) *
I think Wyvern may have one or two issues with that....

Fair enough ...wont stop me missing you though sad.gif
Cath Sparrow
I'll miss you also sad.gif
froggle-rock
Someone please pass me a bucket *hurls* Space and Cath are being sickenly sweet tongue.gif kehehe

QUOTE (Tarantio @ Jun 30 2006, 02:41 AM) *
I'll be looking for a place to crash, mind you, so if anyone has anything going (or a suggestion as to a b+b/hotel that I can go to) please let me know. Confucious, he say "w00t!".

Tara, you can come stay over at Chez Frogette wink.gif
Faerieryn
Cath you and Erin moving in together finally!???!!!
Tarantio
QUOTE (funked)out_frog @ Jul 1 2006, 02:30 PM) *
Someone please pass me a bucket *hurls* Space and Cath are being sickenly sweet tongue.gif kehehe

QUOTE (Tarantio @ Jun 30 2006, 02:41 AM) *

Tara, you can come stay over at Chez Frogette wink.gif

I hesitate at providing the simple response "woot", since I deem to retain better standing amongst this forum. That aside, woot.
Cath Sparrow
QUOTE (Faerieryn @ Jul 1 2006, 10:03 PM) *
Cath you and Erin moving in together finally!???!!!

Yup looks that way. Into Liverpool. biggrin.gif
Faerieryn
Yay. Somewhere else to visit this summer!!!!!
Spacehappy
Ok enough of the evil twins hijacking our thread.

What dates are people going to be able to make it, if it means Cath is going to show up then i'm willing to miss another meet ..(you all know i'm be super loud at then next one i go to).

Otherwise i'm really looking forward to meeting alot of you. smile.gif
froggle-rock
Dates I cannot do:
15th July,
11th-13th of August and the
2nd of September.
Cath Sparrow
QUOTE (Spacehappy @ Jul 3 2006, 11:42 PM) *
Ok enough of the evil twins hijacking our thread.

What dates are people going to be able to make it, if it means Cath is going to show up then i'm willing to miss another meet ..(you all know i'm be super loud at then next one i go to).

Otherwise i'm really looking forward to meeting alot of you. smile.gif

Dont worry about me I'm still going to the Winchester meet. You lot stick with the 5th. Sounds like a good plan to me.
Faerieryn
The 5th would be excellent. I propose that we make Smiler a Mata Cake!!!! (Maybe Snaffleburger with candles for antenna? And an evil pixie perhaps?!)
Mata
I can't do 11th - 13th August 2006, otherwise it's all good.
Usurper MrTeapot
Because that's the weekend before my birthday I assume that would be circus camp.

I'll do whenever, I'm a whore like that.
Daria
You whore. Don't forget Amsterdam though.
/wench reminder services

I wish I could come along, but I am in Orkney from the 30th July to about the 12th of August. Damn summer plans.
Faerieryn
OKies. Here is what we have so far

Meeeting on: 5th AUgust 2006

Meeting at: Not really sure yet. I suggest we meet at a train/tube station and then go to a park from there. Save hours of wandering

Meeting who: Lots of people!!!

Meeting when: I suggest a mid afternoony thing to capitalise on any sunshine we may experience

Requirements: Beer, other alcohol type things, food, frisbee (will keep Smiler happy for hours)

Not doing too badly so far!!!
Tarantio
QUOTE (Faerieryn @ Jul 6 2006, 04:33 PM) *
Requirements: Beer, other alcohol type things, food, frisbee (will keep Smiler happy for hours)

and should keep Tara showing off his leet skillz for hours too tongue.gif
froggle-rock
I can bring a boomerang, poi and a hula hoop smile.gif

Yay!
Greeneyes
If it's London, I may be able to attend, and bring circus type things too.
froggle-rock
A few of us met up at Greenwich Park last year. I like this park because it's big; has a flower garden; children's play park (with sandpit) and is in walking distance to me *nods approval*. As you can see below, maps.google thinks it's users drive _everywhere_, but I'm sure you can figure out the shorter walk from Cutty Sark Docklands Light Rail (DLR) station to the park. But seeing as it's only a short walk, anyone who doesn't make the appointed meet up time, can quickly be met after a phone call to one of us who is already there. Maps.Google page, clicky here. Greenwich Overhead (mainline station, also Greenwich DLR located at the same station, but you could choose to get the DLR one stop to Cutty Sark) is also in walking distance to the park, just a bit more walking distance(no more than 10 minutes), you can get trains there from London Bridge, Waterloo East (5 minutes walk from Waterloo Station) and Charing Cross. Handy thing is, that if you walk from Greenwich Station to the park, you go poast an offie and a supermarket, should you want to purchase some nice cold booze. There are quite a few pubs around the park, and shops for clothing, shoes and records. There also two markets one enroute from Cutty Sark (which has hand crafted stuff, including paintings, pottery, jewlery and food), the other on route from Greenwich (second hand clothes, books, crockery).

I would also like to suggest Primrose Hill, near Chalk Farm Tube Station (Northan Line). Many a weekend I'd go there with pizza and wine and friends after work. What might make this park more attractive is that Chalk Farm Station is only one stop after Camden Tube Station, and Camden Lock Market is no more than a 10 minute walk from Chalf Farm Station, and far less hustely-bustley than walking from Camden Station. Though people should be aware that they will have to make sure they take the right tube to get to Chak Farm, as the Northan Line branches off into two after Camden. Chalk Farm is on the Edgware branch. There is also an offie on route between the tube station and the park. Plus a wine shop or two (if I remember correctly) closer to the park.

Here is Transport for London's Journey Planner page. It's quite good, in that if you use the advanced options you can find out what routes you can take from where your start, and how long they will take.

See, I'm not to sure on the bylaws of drinking in what parks, but I'm sure we are less likely to get told off if we go to a park that isn't slap bang in the centre of town.

I would reccomend we meet up for 2pm, just after high sun, at the nearest station. If anyone else has any park they are in favour of going to, please post details. Then I guess, we can choose the park that has the easiest transport links? Or just the one that is the nangest.

;o)
Usurper MrTeapot
I second choice of parks. They're prettier and not as touristy as meeting in say Hyde Park for example.

Primrose Hill can also be reached by a nice walk down by the canal from Camden (since I always associate Camden with London Meets).

Greenwich would mean less travelling distance for me, and I could get a bus back much easier than from Camden if we decided to rock well into the night.
Faerieryn
That sounds cool although we may have difficulties getting back. i don't know I'll have to ask Smiler. He deals with silly things like tube times.

Next item on the agenda: Food. Are we gonna buy stuff locally or everybody bringsomething along ala a company picnic?
froggle-rock
We could do a mit of a mix, Ryn. -Coz my finances will prolly incline me more to the 'bring your own' side. I got plenty of plastic plates, beakers and cutlery to share out, instead of people brining their breakables. I can also bring a free inflatable frisbee that Greenwich University gave me, too wink.gif
Smiler
Greenwich and Primrose are complete arses to get to & from for me being in south london but I'll go along with them if thats where the majority bow to. No worries.
I suggest a mix of grubberies as well, calssic picknick meets fast food generation convenience food, nice... wink.gif

I'll bring the frisbee.
froggle-rock
Greenwich Park is in South London, Smiler tongue.gif

Erm, we could go for a more centraal one, if it's better for everyone?

Or maybe look at it this way; what are the stations that outta Londoners will be arriving into/ departing from? If everyone who is interested posts, then I can find one thta's close, or summit?
{Gothic Angel}
I was putting off posting in here until I was sure I could come, but sod that. If I can get the day off work, I intend to be there, Greeneyes or no.

edit: Just found his post. Nevermind tongue.gif
Tarantio
I'll be arriving at Victoria Coach station, probably. I've come in to London either there or in the shopping centre next door every other time I've been in/through it. Haven't booked passage yet, but I'll post my arrival time/place and stuff when I know it for sure. Oh, and Smiler, it'd better be regulation tongue.gif Can't be having me throw around some silly shaped piece of nonsense and be expected to impress yo ulot at the same time smile.gif
Greeneyes
Greenwich park is good by me, from what little I've encountered of it, and I have no trouble getting down to Cutty Sark. Also, the 5th is fine by me, so I'm a yes.
{Gothic Angel}
For the sake of confirmation of numbers, I also will be coming.
Mata
I fully intend on being there.

I get in to London via Waterloo. Anything that stays relatively near a fairly central tube station is good by me... As long as we have a meeting point very clearly worked out!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.