Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: London meets: 11th Nov 2006 + 6th January 2007
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Sir Psycho Sexy
Sooo......someone update me? unsure.gif
Mata
Hello! Sorry about that, but I'm going to be having a party on 3rd Feb in Guildford (35 mins on the train from London) so you could come along then. In the meantime, get to know people on the boards smile.gif
froggle-rock
QUOTE (candice @ Dec 17 2006, 04:36 PM) *
Hmmm. Personally I'd rather meet at Camden tube station. We'll be getting into London at about 2:30 PM and I'd rather have a bit of time to wander around Camden since we didn't get to at the last meet. Plus, tube stations are easy to find and that's a must for someone with my sense of direction. unsure.gif

I'm not bothered about where we eat, though, as long as I'm not walking for an hour while desperately having to pee again! tongue.gif

I shoulda said that the cafe suggestion wasn't to replace a Camden walk about, but a suggestion for cheap place to eat. We can meet (for the cafe) at Boots near Picadilly Tube Station (Boot's is just under the huge LED advertisments on one of the corners of Picadilly, and then walk there. I infact found my way there when I took a wrong turn trying to find it from a hand drawn map!)

Mata: Didn't have the oppurtunity last night to ask if they do reservations, but on my way home from work tomorrow I will go ask. Camden, Cafe Cocktails (okay: Booze, but coctails sounded better tongue.gif) sounds like a plan to me.

Pat: I'm not sure exactly how to update you- I've not been paying avid attention to this thread ohmy.gif

What time are the rest of you 'Zonians looking to get into your respective Train stations so we can start figuring out when a good meet-up time will be?
Witless
Yay camden it is. Once again another idea by me for stuff to do is become reality.

*does stewie from Family Guy's voice* "Dance puppets, dance!"
Phyllis
QUOTE (Mata @ Dec 17 2006, 05:23 PM) *
How about Camden during the day, then the independant cafe place for some nosh, then off to a pub for the evening.

Any preference of pubs? Lurking upstairs in the Marlborough Head seemed to work quite well. It was a bit noisy, but I don't really know places in central London that aren't on a Saturday night!

Sounds good to me! I don't have any preference as far as pubs go...the Marlborough Head was fine.
Daria
QUOTE (Witless @ Dec 18 2006, 05:47 PM) *
Yay camden it is. Once again another idea by me for stuff to do is become reality.

*does stewie from Family Guy's voice* "Dance puppets, dance!"

*narrows eyes*
You worry me.

/happy spam as I am groovy with what ever plans go down.
LoLo
I just have to do this and this seems like the best place to......I'm about to leave to the airport and will be in England in the morning!
Mata
Woo hoo! See you in a week and a bit Lo!
Witless
I can confirm that Lolo hast arrived!
Usurper MrTeapot
Woo yay!
Mata
Right, my ticket is booked and I'm arriving in Waterloo at 13:50 on Saturday.

Have we arranged where we're meeting yet?
mooooooooooopo
Camden Station okay with everyone for a meeting place? We get into St Pancras at 14:30, so if we're slightly later than everyone else (again) you all could just wander around Camden and we could ring someone when we're finally there and find you fairly easily.
Witless
camden at 2:30/3:00pm?
Mata
QUOTE (moop @ Dec 30 2006, 11:55 PM) *
Camden Station okay with everyone for a meeting place? We get into St Pancras at 14:30, so if we're slightly later than everyone else (again) you all could just wander around Camden and we could ring someone when we're finally there and find you fairly easily.

When you say 'slightly', is that the same 'slightly' as last time? wink.gif

Okay, Camden at 2:30 is fine by me. Does this work for everyone else? If the majority are okay with it then it would probably be best to pick up stragglers via mobile phone.

Camden Tube station, out of the exit gates on the right as you go up the lift, and then slightly to the left next to the railing by the road - that way we'll be out of the worst of the children's crusade.
froggle-rock
1430 is good for me *salutes*
Faerieryn
'tis good for us too!!!

Yay Matameets!!! Woohoo!!!!
Daria
I will be there about that time. ish. Hopefully.

*Is an AWESOME time keeper... honest..*
Mata
Bear in mind that this is high-January. It may well be bloomin' freezing and I'd rather not wait for an hour in the cold please smile.gif If in doubt, please call to let someone know when you will be there and we may meet you down the road instead.
Phyllis
We'll probably be around 15 mins late if everyone is meeting up at 2:30 (no, definitely NOT like last time! Nearby hotel, and hopefully not a gajillion football fans clogging up the tube this time), just because that's exactly when our train gets in.

But I'm still not convinced that the terms "freezing" and "England" go together at all. Wimps. tongue.gif (I'll probably feel much differently next year when I'm not used to eastern Oregon weather, though). Feel free to start walking around if you are feeling cold, we'll find you.
Cath Sparrow
Them people who live down south are generally pretty whimpy about the cold so I still think you'll feel the same way next year Cand tongue.gif
Mata
Absolutely true, as long as wimpy=sensible smile.gif
Cath Sparrow
Pah! Hey it snowed here today in Norway and didn't bother me! tongue.gif
elphaba2
But you all live in such an ickle country! Surely it is not such a big issue! I have a fancy little chart here that tells me that Edinburgh's average temperature in April is only 5 degrees cooler than London's. The distance from here to Montreal is a hundred miles shorter, and the difference between the temperatures in April is nearly 12 degrees.

Stop being such snivelers, British people. You all live in a very small place and we win for temperature variance over distance.

[Oh, heh, have fun at the meet as well. What egregious spam. ]
Wytukaze
QUOTE (elphaba2 @ Jan 3 2007, 10:26 PM) *
But you all live in such an ickle country! Surely it is not such a big issue! I have a fancy little chart here that tells me that Edinburgh's average temperature in April is only 5 degrees cooler than London's. The distance from here to Montreal is a hundred miles shorter, and the difference between the temperatures in April is nearly 12 degrees.

Stop being such snivelers, British people. You all live in a very small place and we win for temperature variance over distance.

[Oh, heh, have fun at the meet as well. What egregious spam. ]

Shush. No cookies for you.
Mata
There may only be a few hundred miles in the space between 'the south' and 'the north' (the midlands are a bit like Switzerland) but there is a whole galaxy of difference in our tolerances and attitudes. For example, southerners are smarter, smell nicer (becuase it's not too cold to take your clothes off to wash), and we're better at winding up the northerners. In the north they will eat anything that has been deep-fried in batter (fact) and all speak in funny accents that the rest of Britain doesn't understand.
Cath Sparrow
*Is not being wound up Is not being wound up Is not being wound up* FEH! It's all lies!!!! Except for the battered food bit...........
froggle-rock
Hey, I postyed in the other meet thread, here about the new fares for traveling aroun in London.

/me bounces
Mata
Woo!

Thanks for a lovely time everyone. It was great seeing you all again, and especially nice to finally meet Lo.

I hope to see you again soon... Guildford on 3rd Feb if you can make it please!

I forgot my camera (doh!) so could other people please post all of theirs and I'll put together a page of the highlights. I like the idea of having a record of the meets on my site.
LoLo
Yay I'm the first with pictures done! Witless was beating me, but I think he put more thought into the captions than I did. Hehe

Anyway I took tons of pictures, so it might get boring to look through, but I did take out most of the random table placement pics, and the random ashtray spinning pics.....and without further ado here they are
Witless
*shakes fist at Lolo*

You win this time gadget, this time.

Here are my pics.
Phyllis
moop's friends names are Rob and Claire. tongue.gif

I love the extreme close-up series....I don't even remember you having taken one of me.

I will upload my pictures sometime soon when I've recovered from the extreme lack of sleep!
Calantyr
Thank you for the excellent time, people. Was uber killy to see you all. And cherry beer isn't just for the ladies!

And on a side note: Ye gods, I didn't realised that I had put on so much weight!
Mata
Oo, good job with the titling of the images both of you!
Moosh
Looks like you all had fun whilst I was revising (grr, bad exams).

Looking through those pictures, because I was only half-watching, I had no less than three moments of thinking I recognized someone who couldn't possibly be there. Two of these were Calyntyr, looking like two different people I know, and the other was Smiler.

Loved the captions from both of you as well.
froggle-rock
I had a good time. sorry I didn't let anyone know I was going to be late, but I was working and texted Polo thinking he'd be there, as I didnt have anyone elses numbers.

I liked the cider. biggrin.gif And it was good to see you all again, for longer this time too >_>

I've not finnished uploading all the pictures, will repost when I do. There are two sets of pictures that should be viwed in order, a-b, and 1-8.
Pixelgoth
Bah! Wish I coulda been there *sulks* sad.gif What's with all the extreme close ups?!?! ohmy.gif Looks like you spent the entire night in each others faces? laugh.gif
Sir Psycho Sexy
Well we were a little cramped, what with being told off for taking up too much space and them loosing out on business, we're sorry for bringing 16 people into your pub, we'll never do it again! (Seriously, I had like...6 pints of cider and was still sober...in fact...did anyone get even a little drunk? What a con!)
Phyllis
I didn't know we got told off for taking up too much space!

I got quite drunk. But then the only people I know who I can outdrink are snoo and Lo. tongue.gif
Cath Sparrow
Looks like you had fun but a small correction on one of the people named on your piccies Froggy dear. In the pic of Smiler, Ryn and Mata the other lad's called Rob (Cath should know as it's her cousin, it's her brother that's called Steve tongue.gif )
froggle-rock
QUOTE (Cath @ Jan 7 2007, 10:56 PM) *
Looks like you had fun but a small correction on one of the people named on your piccies Froggy dear. In the pic of Smiler, Ryn and Mata the other lad's called Rob (Cath should know as it's her cousin, it's her brother that's called Steve tongue.gif )

>_> You ain't seen me, right dry.gif

More pictures added
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Jan 7 2007, 10:01 PM) *
what with being told off for taking up too much space and them loosing out on business

Are they actually allowed to do that! dry.gif If they can't afford a big enough pub that's their problem not yours. Cheeky beggars. Which pub did you go to and I shall boycott it should I ever be in London...which isn't likely...but it's the thought that counts....yeah dry.gif
Mata
Well, there were only half of us in the pub at the time - but it was clear enough that we'd be coming back. Was there sixteen of us in the end? Blimey! That might be our biggest meet up so far.

The extreme close-up of me shows that 1) my skin is looking quite good these days, yay! 2) The white tips of my teeth from the days when I lived in a place where flouride was added to the water make my teeth look really yellow, boo! I'm going to share something here that I don't usually tell anyone, because I figure it just makes people look more, but the thing that I like least about myself is my teeth. They're a bit of a jumble, and the two-tone from the chemical experiments of the my childhood water companies is not great either, and due to this it is very, very rare to see me smile and show my teeth. I've decided that this is something I need to get over, so I shall be doing this more in the future... And probably I shall be used as an instructive image for orthodontists of the future!

Err... That went a bit serious there.

I really liked the pub. It was great to be in a place in central London where I could afford the beer without a mortgage, and where it was possible to hear yourself think. Although the barman was a teensy bit grumpy, overall I thought it was a great choice and I'd happily go there, or to a similar one, in the future. The lack of music will also suit Cath's reduced hearing (not to mention reducing the post-meet sore throat!).
LoLo
QUOTE (Mata @ Jan 8 2007, 03:02 PM) *
(not to mention reducing the post-meet sore throat!).

Not mine sad.gif ......... although mine has to do more with a cold than with the meet, hence my magical purse that kept having cold supplies in it. I ended up losing my voice after the meet. I think I need to find it before I leave England tomorrow, anyone seen it? laugh.gif
Mata
Have you tried down the back of the sofa? You should make sure you get it back before you go, they charge terrible import taxes on accents. Just look at Madonna: she's been trying to get an English accent for years and she still sounds annoying.
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (Mata @ Jan 8 2007, 11:02 PM) *
I thought it was a great choice and I'd happily go there, or to a similar one, in the future.

OK, guess I won't be boycotting them even though that was highly unlikely as I don't often go to the pub 300 miles away from my house tongue.gif

Don't worry about your teeth. My brother was the same as my godmother told him not to smile with his mouth open as he had nasty teeth. Way to insult someone! dry.gif As it was he soon got over it. We all have our body issues but I think that could fill a thread in itself! laugh.gif You're lovely as you are *hugs*
{Gothic Angel}
Eeps. I meant to post beforehand and say I wasn't going to be coming, as I had an exam on Monday, but I forgot.

Sowwy! Looks like fun was had by all though tongue.gif
Daria
ph34r.gif For someone very un-photogenic and self-conscious as myself, I seem to be in a fair few photos.

Apologies if I seemed odd- I think the turning point was referring to myself in third person as The Hoff. *shrugs* I was sitting on a bar stool between East and West Germany.

I enjoyed the day, though. It was awesome fun and I think I made an awesome first impression on PSP biggrin.gif
Pikasyuu
Oh wow, every time I see Matameet pictures I can't help but laugh at all of them - you all look so drunk and happy! I'll go there someday, I swear it :P and request that Mata make me up like LGG. *snort*

Mr. Fuzzy's ear piercings never cease to amaze me. And Mata, I'm not sure how you'll take this, but I think your teeth are charming. They don't look yellow at all and they're certainly not something worthy of worry. Self-consciousness .. is awful. Lo and Cand are the cutest things I've ever seen, Froggy's gorgeous, Witless and PSP are just hawt, and .. everyone's beautiful! Learn to love the camera, Daria. :P you're adorable. Glad to see everyone had a blast and sorry to anyone I forgot. So easy to stalk forumites with so many pictures. ^_^
Daria
Rassafrassarassa NOT ADORABLE rassafrassarassa _
Mata
You really are! *pinches cheek like a granny* *runs away before getting knee-capped*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.