Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: London meets: 11th Nov 2006 + 6th January 2007
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Phyllis
Whoa, those are some crazy looking slides! I broke my collarbone on a far more tame looking one once. I'd be fine with going and seeing them, but won't go down any of them. I'm a wimp when it comes to stuff like that.
Daria
QUOTE (candice @ Oct 12 2006, 02:56 AM) *
Whoa, those are some crazy looking slides! I broke my collarbone on a far more tame looking one once. I'd be fine with going and seeing them, but won't go down any of them. I'm a wimp when it comes to stuff like that.

Same here biggrin.gif Must overcome fears, must overcome fears...
Cath Sparrow
Oooo! I saw this on the news I want to go!!! Weeeeeeeee! In other words if we go I will be going down the slides. biggrin.gif
markslut
Grr I'm not working on the 11th but already commited to Opeth

and On the 6th I'll be working sad.gif
Phyllis
QUOTE (Daria @ Oct 12 2006, 12:16 AM) *
Must overcome fears, must overcome fears...

With me it'd be more like "Must overcome fear, and the urge to vomit." Thus I will be passing and will just take pictures of all of you going down the slides. tongue.gif
Daria
Hehehehe.
I think there should be some ice-skating involved in the January meet. The image of goths, cyber punks and other oddities which collate about Matazone all ice-skating is rather amusing biggrin.gif
LoLo
QUOTE (candice @ Oct 12 2006, 11:50 AM) *
QUOTE (Daria @ Oct 12 2006, 12:16 AM) *

Must overcome fears, must overcome fears...

With me it'd be more like "Must overcome fear, and the urge to vomit." Thus I will be passing and will just take pictures of all of you going down the slides. tongue.gif

I don't know why but this line of conversation made me think of the emo teater totter boy. lol Allllllll alone on a teater totter.
Mata
QUOTE (Daria @ Oct 12 2006, 09:11 PM) *
Hehehehe.
I think there should be some ice-skating involved in the January meet. The image of goths, cyber punks and other oddities which collate about Matazone all ice-skating is rather amusing biggrin.gif

I think that's a very bad idea. I'm tall and have a long way to fall before hitting the very hard ice. I'd rather not push my luck that far!
Daria
Hehehe, it is easy like walking, but just sliding your feet along the ground. Anyways, the ice numbs any pain biggrin.gif and after, a trip to the pub should sort out any injuries.
You do martial arts, don't you Mata? Surely you'd know how to fall properly?
Mata
Falling is rather different when your feet are sliding out from underneath you. It's a very different proposition! When you fall on the ground you've got some leverage to allow yourself to tuck a bit, but on ice there's nothing to twist off of.

Anyway, I do Wing Chun, so we don't practise much groundwork because no-one ever gets us there biggrin.gif
Cath Sparrow
But surely they teach you balance so you shouldn't be falling over anyhow. tongue.gif
Mata
There clearly weren't many ice rinks in ancient China, because the balance techniques usually rely on you not being on slippery substances! It's a fair point though; my balance and general physical ability almost certainly has improved since I last went ice skating due to the martial arts, but I'm still not sure that it's such a great idea! Now, if a load of ninjas were to attack us on the street, that would be a different matter...
Daria
What about ice-skating ninjas?
{Gothic Angel}
Ninjas are posessed of supernatural grace, and never fall. Unless they are pwned by a superior ninja.

I would be perfectly happy with either suggestion. Greeneyes is refusing to comment.
Jonman
There's a good possibility that Mrs Jonman and I will make it to the January meet, but I think we're going to have to leave it to a last minute decision, as we're spending Chrimble in the US, and may well be too skint to make it.

Mind you, I should probably warn you that it's on the day after my birthday, so I'll be requiring birthday beer.
Mata
Birthday beer can certainly be provided.

How about going for a nice meal somewhere early-evening sound? You can get a main meal and a drink in most places for around 15, so it's not too expensive.
Greeneyes
I will be unable to attend the one on the 11th now, as I'm going home for family related occasion. January still good though.
{Gothic Angel}
I have a dilemma now - I promised my parents I would go home in November sometime (and I do actually want to go home), and I *was* planning to go on the weekend Greeneyes wasn't around, as we're only really seeing each other at weekends... I didn't know this was going to be the meet weekend.

I shall think further on this.
Pengone
People made me register rather than getting people to say this for me, but for those who know/have met me, the eleusive pengone/ian shall probably be able to make it to the november meet, january one will wait till nearer the time before I know.
froggle-rock
Pengone-

Oh...
I did't realise you actually had to regiser on the forum; I assumed you was already a 'Zonian.

Yay. wink.gif

Ieni- Well, you gotta do what you gotta do. But I do hope you can make it on the 11th, or mybe the 6th?

Greeneyes- crapweasles.
Daria
I um.. kind of quit my job in Paris this evening, meaning that the meet on the 11th of November can now resume being a Dariameet! biggrin.gif
I shall now be at both fo' sho'.
Mata
Umm... Yay? I'm not sure if we should be happy that you've quit your job, but it'll be nice to meet you!
Daria
Heh, it is a good thing. I think.
The woman for whom I was working, is acomplete battle axe. We just don't get along and it seems that anything I do isn't good enough for her. Yesterday evening she had a go at me for the previous night and said I don't do anything to help her (I won't bog you down with details, but I do help. Alot). She told me I need to grow up, which is true, I do. But I don't think any amount of growing up would turn me into a mind-reader and so know what she wants me to do. (I tried asking her last night what sort of areas she wants me to help in, just so I have some sort of an idea and she just sighed and walked away)
So I thought about it all and after tea, when she was in the study, I went and asked if we could talk when she had some spare time. She walked over to me looking very pissed off, crossed her arms in a grumpy manner and said "Yes?!". I sat her down and explained that although I was happy in my job, that I loved being with her daughter and they had all made me feel very welcomed, I think that I am not the right person for the job. They need someone older, who isn't me. I also pointed out that I understood it much be very difficult for her to have to put all her trust in somone she doesn't really know, and have them stay in their household as well.

She said she was very relieved that I had come to that decision- she also said she was dissappointed that they had spent so much time, effort and money on welcoming me when I turned out to be a different person that they expected.

*shrugs* I feel so relieved and happier now. I was thinking of quitting for a while, but didn't because I wanted to see if I could go on with it and make it until May when my "contract" runs out. But last night just seemed like the right time to do it, and so I did. Now I get to come to the MataMeets biggrin.gif
/ridiculously long and boring explanation.
{Gothic Angel}
Ok, so I'm coming to the meet. I can always go home late Saturday night/Sunday morning happy.gif

And Greeneyes and I will both be coming to the 6th. Won't we? *shakes fist menacingly* tongue.gif

edit: That is somehow sucky and awesome at the same time, Daria, but yay! I get to meet my witty twin happy.gif
Daria
Yay! biggrin.gif
It is a most definitely good thing- there is no suckiness involved. After paying off some summer debts, I might even come back to Paris. Get myself a flat share or something and a job.
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
I'm not really sure if I will be attending or not yet. I would like to but being back in the land of studentdom (ie lacking in funds) I don't know if I can afford to get there and stay over night.
I might come down just for the Saturday, is there any plan of action yet? If it's more of an evening thing then I doubt it would be worth the train fare to stay just a few hours sad.gif
Cath Sparrow
I wont be able to make the January meet I'm afraid (sorry Lolo sad.gif ) as I'm going to Norway for New Year.
LoLo
QUOTE (Cath @ Oct 25 2006, 03:59 AM) *
I wont be able to make the January meet I'm afraid (sorry Lolo sad.gif ) as I'm going to Norway for New Year.

Awww that's ok. I hope you have fun. I'll be back in late March for the Cand Moop wedding and my spring break from school so I'll more than likely see you then.
Pengone
QUOTE (snoo @ Oct 24 2006, 07:15 PM) *
I'm not really sure if I will be attending or not yet. I would like to but being back in the land of studentdom (ie lacking in funds) I don't know if I can afford to get there and stay over night.
I might come down just for the Saturday, is there any plan of action yet? If it's more of an evening thing then I doubt it would be worth the train fare to stay just a few hours sad.gif

If you needs, I might be able to find you a room for the night, m'dear.
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
That would be awesome and cost effective. I may just take you up on it! smile.gif
Pengone
I'll have to clear it with my parents but you can probably have my sister's room for the night given she's up in york.
Sir Psycho Sexy
At what time in the evening is said evening meal in restaurent? I finish work at 6 which pretty much puts any day-time frivolities out of the question. But evening I can do, and I'm not working 'til Sunday evening, so that's cool.
Mata
It's difficult to plan meal times, but if we say around 6:30 - 7pm ish then that'll give us a decent few hours afterwards.

The idea of a curry seems to have been soundly rejected... How to people feel about noodle restaurants, and are there any nice ones people would suggest? If people don't like that idea then a reasonably priced Italian will probably be the best option. Somewhere relatively easy to find is the preference, because that makes meeting up after wandering a lot easier.

As for afternoon stuff... I always enjoy wandering around Camden, but if people have any other preferences then this is a good place to mention it. Are there any good exhibitions on in the galleries at the moment?
Witless
There's always the tate modern. There's actually some stuff I like there this year... and as mhari will point out if I don't. There's the big huuuge slides there as part of their interactive exhibition this year.

I'm open minded to foods. (Sushi! Let's have that!) As long as no one sitting next to me indulges themselves with cabbage, all is good.
Mata
I'm definitely up for that; I've never managed to get there while it's open!
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (Witless @ Nov 3 2006, 09:53 AM) *
I'm open minded to foods. (Sushi! Let's have that!) As long as no one sitting next to me indulges themselves with cabbage, all is good.

There's a particularly good Japanese restaurent just inside China town, not far from....that square with the big cinema...I forget what it's called. Anyway, it's called Tipangu's or something like that...that's how it's pronounced anyway, it's very reasonably priced BUT, it's rather tiny, I'm not sure if they have extra seating downstairs though...
Mata
When we get numbers it might be a good idea to book somewhere.
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
We need to arrange somewhere to meet first. Especially for those of us not so familiar with London it's good to know where to go in advance.
Smiler
Hey all, FaerieRyn & I will confirm during the week. With a beer festival on in Woking I think Ryns friends booked us tickets so don't know 100% if we're wriggling out of that yet.

Watch this space... or maybe the confirmations thread...

BTW - The Laughing Buddha walfway up chinatown (on the off road about half way up) is simply fantastic if Chinese is called for. Over two floors they've got a fair bit of space and have an all you can eat buffet MENU, regular menu and set meals. Its fairly cheap (hence my frequent visits in the past) and the staff are really really friendly.
Mata
That sounds good to me. I like Chinese food, and there's usually something for everyone, although these days I don't have enough of an appetite to do an 'all you can eat' menu justice! I've been through Chinatown before by foot, but I've got no idea of where to go to find it.

Okay... I fancy going to the Tate Modern in the afternoon, who's up for that? If we try to arrange small groups doing stuff then it'll be easier to liase. There may be another group that wants to shop, and another that wants to go straight to the pub, who meal-eating groups can meet up with later.
Daria
*raises her vegetarian hand*
I'd love to go to the Tate and I think I can drag Wytu along as well. The food thing in the evening sounds good, as well- I can't rememer how you get to China Town by transport. I usually just find myself there after walking through Leicester Square... Thinking about it, THAT is probably how you get there. biggrin.gif
{Gothic Angel}
The Tate is good for me (woo living in London!), and I'm pretty easy on Sushi, Noodles, Italian, whatever.
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
I really want to go to the Tate but I also want to go shopping sad.gif

What time are people thinking they'll be getting there? I need to check with Ste and Cand but I think we'll be getting there some time around 1ish, maybe 2?

Edit: We get into St Pancreas at 13:45
Calantyr
*Waves his hand*

Hey, I'm in. If anyone here still remembers me. tongue.gif
froggle-rock
Tate Modern:
Linky to map of Tate Modern with highlights
Pink= Tube Stations close by; Blue = Tate Modern; Green = Millenium Bridge, formerly known as the Wobbley Bridge. -North side of this bridge leads to St. Paul's Catherdral (north of the bridge, rectangular building with dome in middle). The bridge is quite good for skidding along, jusy be careful of people who don't want to be used as bowling pins. biggrin.gif
maps.google link to Tate Modern area

The two tube stations (Blackfriars, and Southwark) closest to the Tate Modern are a little bit of a walk, but it's not that difficult to get to from them. Might be nicer to walk from Blackfriars than Southwark, because you get to cross over the river by foot on the bridge and then walk eastwards along the river. I would reccomend taking a nice walk from the Tate Modern to China Town though, if you feel up to it, instead of taking the tube as it's a nice walk along the South Bank: past Blackfriars; the Oxo Tower; Nationa Film Theatre; Skater people; Royal Festival Hall. Plus, if it's dark by then it'll all be lit up and look pretty. Also; there have been some redevelopments along side the river. Route to walk from Tate Modern to China Town, Tate Modern is te blue blob. // maps.google link, start = China Town, End = Tate Modern

The Tate Modern has several entrances, and I always find the most impressive one is the one on the east side which leads you straight down into the Turbine Hall and you'll get a good view of the slides.

China Town:
Map of China Town, with highlights.
Blue = China Town Area; Green = Can't quite remember if it's China Town, but might be, a bit; Pink = Tube Stations close by.
Here is the maps.google link so you can take a better look (photobucket ain't allowing big pictures).
If you are going to meet at Leicester Square Station you should be aware it has several exits. So I reccomend you choose one, (can't remember which ones leads to where off by heart) say, Exit 1, and all meet outside that exit. It's going to be quite busy, as it's a Saturday afternoon so I suggest y'all get ahold of each other's mobile numbers.

Other:
Transport For London (TFL) is a handy site for planning your travels around London. If you look to the right on the main page, there is a journey planner. You might want to use the Advanced options so as to check if there will be engineering works on any of the tubes you plan on catching over the weekend. As well as busses and that. Also, you can check ticket prices. Link to Tube Map.

Link to a site about various places to shop in London.
{Gothic Angel}
For the record, I'm really quite ill atm. I will endeavour to keep people informed, and I do seem to be on the mend, but if I still feel like I do now on Saturday, I won't be coming.
Daria
QUOTE ({Gothic Angel} @ Nov 8 2006, 09:00 PM) *
For the record, I'm really quite ill atm. I will endeavour to keep people informed, and I do seem to be on the mend, but if I still feel like I do now on Saturday, I won't be coming.

sad.gif Get well soon! *hugs*
Pengone
I'm up for the tate modern, to be honest.

Shopping = spending = bad.
Mata
Right, how about meeting at 2pm at Waterloo, under the clock, then the various groups choose which way they want to go?

Personally, I'd like to go to the Tate Modern, maybe then Camden to wander around the shops, find somewhere to eat around 6-6:30 ish, then head off to the pub for evening.

Pengone, I know what you mean; I currently have negative assets and can't technically afford Saturday... But life's too short to not go out, I'll just try not to spend more than necessary smile.gif

GA, 'hope you feel better soon!

Quick reminder for young-looking people: don't forget your ID!
Smiler
Good call, its better to meet and then divide. We can synchronise watches etc... fun wink.gif Ryn & I'll be pootling along to meet at Waterloo for 2ish then. We'll be on a train from Woking.

Cal- Yay; Gothic- get well; Pengone- I agree, shopping = spending = bad, although I dunno what the Faerie'll want to do, will find out soon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.