Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fun strange things
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
Pages: 1, 2
LoLo
So this is kind of to set off the fun negative of the petty complaints thread, as well as to show case those strange things that happen that just make you smile or laugh. I'll start it off with two things recently that are just small things, but they really amuse me.

I find it amusing when I am chewing gum and there is just this powerful burst of spit from one of my salivary glands in the back of my mouth that hits the back of my front teeth. I can just imagine some comic book hero with this as an exagerated super power.

The other is this sign that I see when I'm driving to school in the mornings. It's this glowing neon sign with a giant diamond in the center with words surrounding it that say, "GOLD TEETH" and then in tiny letters at the bottom, "& watch repair." It's awesome. There's a place a little farther down the street that used to have a sign in it's window that said, "Custom pet grills sold here" which always made me wonder about what in the world a custom pet grill is. Like say is it a custom made bbq grill that can fit a poodle? Anyway that sign is gone, so the gold teeth on just makes my mornings now.
Cath Sparrow
Every time I see Shop Fitters on a sign I always read it as Shop Lifter. There used to be a sign on the way to college with it on but I've seen other signs with Shop Fitters on it since and I still read them as Shop Lifters.
Daria
The signs in the Doctors Surgery reading "Children Cook Easily" amuse me, as do the "SLOW CHILDREN PLAYING" signs we get alot of 'round here.
LoLo
This is silly, but sometimes when I take my shower I like to push my front up against the wall of the shower to see what kind of weird monster looking face the imprint of my breasts and tummy make in the water droplets on the shower wall.
elphaba2
I did that once on the door of my shower, but pushed it open and fell on the mat. Ouch.

One of my teachers always puts the emphasis for the word "gentleman" on the last syllable, so the word becomes gentleMAN. I notice it every day and it makes me giggle.
Cath Sparrow
QUOTE (Daria @ Oct 25 2006, 08:06 PM) *
The signs in the Doctors Surgery reading "Children Cook Easily" amuse me, as do the "SLOW CHILDREN PLAYING" signs we get alot of 'round here.

Another one of those is 'Caution Children' smile.gif
JimiJimi
QUOTE (Cath @ Oct 27 2006, 02:05 PM) *
QUOTE (Daria @ Oct 25 2006, 08:06 PM) *

Another one of those is 'Caution Children' smile.gif

One I see a lot is 'DEAD SLOW CHILDREN'. Of course, someone has always crossed out the 'SLOW' in marker pen.
gothictheysay
Apparently the "L" fell off the sign... you know those areas with a bunch of hotels, and they all have little signs up? this one said "heated poo". biggrin.gif
Greeneyes
There was a point when one of the churches in the town where I live lost enough letters to be described as "That Church"
I_am_the_best
It is fun to jump sideways off curbs really fast. It makes me feel like I am super. If I had a cape, other people would think I was super too.
Izzy
The way people always slap a "g" sticker over then 'N' in the No Skateboarding signs always ammuses me.
voices_in_my_head
I find the fact that my friends are able to carry on a converstaion about grills (For your teeth - not the hamburger cooking thingys) made of tinfoil ammusing.

Also, there is a stop sign somewhere downtown that has been completly covered in wal-mart style smiley stickers, pole and all.
Daria
I love watching people's reactions to Tube/ Metro buskers. I find myself giggling quietly, MP3 player in my ears (well, the earphones at least) just watching people try to ignore the most bizarre of musicians.
I_am_the_best
^ You just reminded me of one of Serre's sketches of a busker trying to collect money whilst everyone around has earphones.

It is also fun to look out of high windows on main streets and make up stories about the people you see below and how they're all connected in some way or another.
JimiJimi

The Public Hair Salon in Scunthorpe. Every time I see it, someone's nicked off with the first 'L'. I think they've given up on replacing it now. I wonder if it's good for business?
LoLo
When kids sing. It's always god awfully high pitched and they think they are the greatest. (I just got to hear some of this from a neighbor kid singing outside.)
Izzy
The way if you say "University of Florida" as "Florida University" and then take the initals from that. FU.
voices_in_my_head
This is how easily ammused I am - I love it when you get a new tube of lip gloss, and when you unscrew the top for the first time, you only have to twist twice before it pushes itself up the rest of the way.
(I'm hoping that that sentence makes sense, because I'm not sure if it does.)
elphaba2
The way that speaking in a Judy Garland voice with my brother has amused me as much as it has in the past evening.

"Oh-- dear, where did I put the peppers?"
That_Guy
I can pull off some impressive impersonations of "creepy" pop culture icons, Salad Fingers and Herbert of Family Guy to name a few.
{Gothic Angel}
You know what's awesome? You know those flannels which come as little pellets and you put them in water and they expand into flannels? My Taiwanese friend has a bunch of cotton face masks like that happy.gif
Righteous
I think it's hilarious hearing my little sister yell at the TV and the characters she plays as in the video games she likes. She's gonna grow up to be a major dork. It's awesome.

I also like find funny that every year at UNF, someone pledges to get a football team going. I've been a UNF student for four years and there's no more progress than when I began.

Oh, and on my wall my brother has a sign that reads, "SLOW CHILDREN AT PLAY" (yes, a real one). There also used to be a sign in my town that read "SLOW DANGEROUS HILL."

EDIT: My friends and I get a kick out of the impressions I like to do. I do great impressions of some of my friends as well as horrible (yet hilarious) cultural stereotypes.
Cath Sparrow
I discovered a skate park in the town I live in today. It's a pretty small town so it was a bit diconcerting especially seeing as it use to be a playground when I was a kid.
Greeneyes
Some of the signs on the front of one of the buildings of my university are now rather informative about what one can't smoke whilst in the building, thanks to letters being removed.

NO SMOKING | NO SMOKING
__ BICYCLES | __ _ICYCLES
LoLo
We sell this christmas ornament at work...

It's overalls with snowman heads as the buckels.

When I saw this I went to my boss and said, "Look it's me without a bra on."
Righteous
That is officially the biggest boner killer ever. If for some reason I need a good BK, I'll remember this thread.
Daria
The sound of your vertebrae "popping" when you are relaxed and laying on the floor is so satisfying.
LoLo
They've changed the gold teeth sign i mentioned earlier in the thread to just be a glowing neon sign with a big smiling mouth with two front teeth that are gold and the words "Gold Teeth" glowing around it. No more mention of the watch repair...shucks...but it's fun to see an odd smiling neon mouth on my way to school in the mornings.
Izzy
All the acronyms out there for UCF. I think the most common one is "Under Construction Forever".
Righteous
We at UNF have "U Never Finish."

As bad as it sounds, I laugh a little on the inside when I see one hardcore kid accidentally punch/kick/etc. another hardcore kid at shows. Face shots are even funnier.

Hearing my mother and little sister argue brings a tear to my eye. My little angel's growing up. *sniff*
LoLo
QUOTE (Righteous @ Nov 14 2006, 10:38 PM) *

UNF looks like the way you would try and describe in text the sounds of either humping, or masturbating. Example....he got a bottle of lotion, a dirty mag and went into the bathroom to go "unf unf unf." I may have seen it used in that way on a web comic or something so I don't really think I'm being original here, but it made me giggle.
Moosh
QUOTE (LoLo @ Nov 15 2006, 02:55 PM) *
QUOTE (Righteous @ Nov 14 2006, 10:38 PM) *

UNF looks like the way you would try and describe in text the sounds of either humping, or masturbating. Example....he got a bottle of lotion, a dirty mag and went into the bathroom to go "unf unf unf." I may have seen it used in that way on a web comic or something so I don't really think I'm being original here, but it made me giggle.

Universal Noise of F*cking
Daria
I am, for some reason, on the PETA mailing list. I believe in animal rights and all that malarky, but not when it is extremists like PETA organising things. ANYway.
In the mailer I got today, I came across this sentence:
Not only do elephants not naturally play polo, but in order to force them to participate in such events, elephants are typically trained with extremely cruel methods that inflict pain and fear.

The image of elephants naturally playing polo in the African Savanna amused me biggrin.gif
That_Guy
I, for the longest time, thought "FTW" was a typo of the acronym BTW.

Still don't know what i t means, mind you, but I know it doesn't mean THAT.
Izzy
QUOTE (That_Guy @ Nov 16 2006, 11:38 PM) *
I, for the longest time, thought "FTW" was a typo of the acronym BTW.

Still don't know what i t means, mind you, but I know it doesn't mean THAT.

I've an idea what it means, though I don't think it's right..
FTW = F**k the world?
elphaba2
For the win, no? Some sort of soccer/video-game reference is what I'm assuming. I'm definitely not able to use it without fear of being contradicted, but I always related it to horse-racing in my head.

"Blackie for the win! 35 to one! Come on, baby!"

*chomps cigar*
Daria
For The (or Teh) Win.

The fact that The Vines's last song from their Winning Days allbum, called FTW which is short for Izzy's suggestion, is aside the point.
{Gothic Angel}
I also know FTW as 4tehwin/for the win/for teh win, but I'm prepared to believe people use it to mean other things. (Ok this was just an excuse to say ftw a lot. FTW ftw! biggrin.gif)

edit: Ok, I'm so convinced it's for the win, that that sentence initially read "I also know FTW, but I'm prepared to believe..."

Fun strange thing - when you have a bag of m&ms or a packet of smarties and you make a rainbow triangle and you have exactly the right number of smarties of each colour to make a perfect 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11 triangle with a different colour in each row.
Moosh
I always understood it to be "for teh win" as well.

Fun strange thing: if I see someone I like in a crowd, even if they don't see me, and we don't communicate in any way, it makes me happy.
Righteous
I made a post on a Christian message board regarding non-lame Christian bands that were more-or-less up my alley and this chick made some ill-placed comments about "heavy metal." Soon, she recieved several responses to her post regarding her narrowmindedness and I felt really good.
torn love notes
Denmark consumes the most sugar in the world, but the U.S is the fattest
thank you Ronald McDonald
{Gothic Angel}
When you look at the main page of the forums, and someone has posted in the "Start Your Own Rumour About Mata" Thread, you see this:

Last post in:
Start Your Own Rumour About...
By: Daria

biggrin.gif
Daria
Hehehe biggrin.gif
When you have a favourite teaspoon of which there is only one in the drawer, and you find out that it is everyone elses favourite as well. But what a stupid thing to favour?!
Faerieryn
There was a film released once called FTW and it was an acronym for F*ck the world.

Another note.

I love borrowing people's fag packets and changing the messages on the front

"SMOKING KILLS...kittens!"
"SMOKING CAUSES ERECTILE DISFUNCTION... being able to write your name with your penis is NOT normal!"
and so on...

Tee Hee Hee!
Righteous
I walked down the street singing She Wants Revenge and Cold songs.
LoLo
At the beginning of this thread I talked about the gold teeth and watch repair sign that made me giggle....well yesterday I was driving around trying to find the place where I was supposed to meet up with my mom for lunch, and it was really close to the gold teeth place. Within a 5 block radius, there were 3 gold teeth and watch/jewelry repair shops all with equally funny and hideous signs as the first one. I guess gold teeth are big in that area. One sign was a giant yellow happy face, with gold teeth painted in the mouth and glitter glued on top of that to make them sparkle.
Izzy
10 minutes ago it was raining and seemed like it would never stop, and it's bright and sunny now.
Yannick
...Am I allowed to revive this thread on the account that it is awesome and I have something relevant to say? ;D?

Has any one else seen the news story about Target selling the Illegal Alien Costume and being seriously slammed because of it? I think it's funny that people have such a negative reaction to that (come on, it's funny), but it's perfectly fine for a kid to walk into Spencers and buy a penis costume.
Cath Sparrow
Yup reviving is fine but just expect some teasing along the lines of 'Geee's necro posting or what!!!' tongue.gif
SPEAKERfortheLOST
Geee's necro posting much???
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.