Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: You learn something new every day...
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Mata
Today I learnt that as well as the semi-expected revelation that there are chav farmers, today I also discovered that there are also emo and punky-goth farmers. Very peculiar, but it was a happy thing to discover.

So... What have you learnt today?
bug0112
I've learnt that my friend's shoulder tastes quite nice, but I prefer to eat apples laugh.gif
Izzy
I've learned not to ask teachers stupid questions. I've also learned that teachers will always say no if you ask them to go get water, but will say yes if you say you need to go to the bathroom. They also always correct you if you say 'can I' instead of 'may I'.

Today was a very teacher-filled day.
Faerieryn
I don't !!!!!

I have discovered that students (or at least the ones I teach) think that I make them do coursework because I WANT to mark it!
Ashbless
I recently learned from an old mythbusters episode that it's possible to start a fire with ice. Excuse the pun but how cool is that?
Apparently you shape a lump of clear ice into a lens and focus the sun's rays.
Mata
I learned that, when you're looking at properties to rent, the word 'spacious' has different meanings depending on how close you are to the city centre. Not a very interesting thing to learn, I admit, but you'd like the language to maintain some sense of consistency, wouldn't you?
Izzy
I've learned that you apparently DO NOT get better at the Chuck E. Cheese's games with age. Winning is set on pure luck. I've also learned that my arm is now long enough to just reach in and grab the tickets. My prize : Tootsie Roll pillow, 2000 tickets.
Kitty
I've learned that you cant be good at your job if the rest of your team does everything the wrong way. ARGH
Mata
I learned that fishnet takes ages to draw!
Sir Psycho Sexy
I learnt that I do in fact have a breaking point, I can get stressed...but only if someone steals my M&M's.
Stardust_Smile
I've learnt that just because there are road signs on the motorway leading you to a particular city/area, it doesn't neccessarily mean that you are anywhere near it.

I really should have worked that one out before now tongue.gif
Daria
I learnt that two singles are NOT cheaper than one return, thank you very much Mr Train man. Screw you and your money making schemes.
alstan
I learnt today that I`m to blame for everything that goes wrong at work, even if it`s not my fault.
Izzy
I learned my friends don't know when to stop joking around.
Hobbes
I can't think of anything I have learnt today, but the topic reminds me of something that my girlfriend's daughter said the other day:

"You know how they say, 'You learn something new every day'? Well, I know exactly what I learnt today: that if you put an egg in a metal cup in the microwave, it doesn't cook, but it does cook in plastic one."

And this lesson was learnt through action, not theory... so we had to check that the microwave was still working smile.gif

Still, the young girl learnt a new lesson: don't put metal things in the microwave!
Mata
Eek! Metal in mircowaves...

In the last 24 hours I have learnt two things:

I relearnt just how damn expensive it is to move house, ohmigod it costs a fortune.

I learnt that those things that you hear about happening to strangers sometimes happen to people that you know - my girlfriend's father was stabbed with a hypodermic needle by a stranger. I won't go into details, but the chances are very good that there won't be any long-term damage, but there is obviously a slim chance that it could be very serious indeed. This is a very strange world.
Witless
Two days ago I have learnt that life drawing a model for extended periods of time, over multiple sessions screws with my head.

(Being that intimately familiar with a strangers body, is just weird.)
Matthew
Not so much learnt as re-discovered, just what a bunch of goddamn ar**holes letting agents are...
I'm actually so angry I've just bitten through my own lip!
elphaba2
QUOTE (Witless @ Dec 6 2006, 06:12 AM) *
Two days ago I have learnt that life drawing a model for extended periods of time, over multiple sessions screws with my head.

(Being that intimately familiar with a strangers body, is just weird.)

My very modest mother took her first life drawing class in a few decades the other day and came home looking like a fire hydrant. She was full of stories about the model's nipple rings, etc. But I think to her, it's just so alien that she has to talk about it if only to keep from thinking about it. I suppose you are the same way.

Today I learned that my goldfish is the best fish in the world, because any other pet would have died from the utter lack of attention I give him.
Witless
QUOTE (elphaba2 @ Dec 6 2006, 11:59 AM) *
My very modest mother took her first life drawing class in a few decades the other day and came home looking like a fire hydrant. She was full of stories about the model's nipple rings, etc. But I think to her, it's just so alien that she has to talk about it if only to keep from thinking about it. I suppose you are the same way.

Possibly.

I have seen people I wasn't involved with naked before. But never so regularly and I haven't been invited to stare quite so intently before either. Part of my brain was like,

"ack, don't stare!!"

then a second later I'd be like.

"duh.. that's why your here moron!"
Izzy
I learned two things today. One, how babies are made. Not sex, but all the weird fact stuff. Thank you biology for creeping everyone out! Two, if you stick a bag of popcorn into a microwave, the popcorn that was already popped and sold like that, you can see electricity. It's scary!

*edit* ((It's taken me 6 hours and 38 minutes to realize this...but..this is my 1000th post! w00t!))
Pikasyuu
I've learned what a marrow is, and that google has no obscene pictures featuring marrows.
Kitty
I've learned that I can fail all tests in my classes, but if I do all the other work I would pass.

I dont know if this is a good system. But it saves me from failing! Hopefully.
elphaba2
APs? I love the weighting.

[Yesterday] I learned that, despite how immensely comfortable I am with training around the county, I am not particularly good with buses.
Izzy
I learned that "No one said I couldn't" isn't an appropiate response for "Who said you could do that!?".
pgrmdave
I learned that before attempting to program something, I should see if there is already a free program that will do it better than I will.
Kitty
Like last years christmas present! I think.... a sudoku program?

Today I learned that everything is easier if you take it with a light heart and see the funny side in it all.
Righteous
I learned that sometimes I should just get off my ass and ask a girl on a date without thinking of rejection.

I also learned that when I actually prepare for something I'm writing, I'm pretty much amazing.
Mata
You amaze me constantly Ri smile.gif

I learnt that boiling water for noodles while cleaning a draining board using bleach results in the fumes from the bleach becoming massively more potent and nearly knocking me out. Whoops! I won't be doing that one again!
LoLo
I learned that after a year and 3/4 of not smoking, smelling of cigarette smoke really gets to me. No I didn't smoke, but some customer felt the need to blow his smoke on me while I loaded a dresser into his car, and then he went in our backroom still smoking his cig and stunk that up too.
trunks_girl26
I learned that sometimes, no matter how kind you are to a person, she will never appreciate it.
Izzy
I learned that no matter how horribly you decorate a Christmas tree, the fact that you did it with your friends makes it that much prettier.
voices_in_my_head
I learned that teachers will wait for the worst possible moment, and pile a crapload of work on you. (I was gone for three days for a funeral, and first period for catching up on sleep)
I had to color eight seprate maps for history, paint and decorate plus patch the missing spots on a mask for theatre , five math sheets, checking account worksheet, study Just for tonight.

I learned that there is not enough time to do even half of that even when I've been working since I got home.

Moral: ...Don't attend funerals?
Pikasyuu
I learned that no matter how perfectly composed and upstanding you are, there will always be at least a couple of people that can pull your little jenga block and turn you right back into a perfectly flawed human being.

People - insanity!
Izzy
I've learnt why schools provide buses. ...But I found out the hard, long, sweaty way. Note to self: Don't walk home.
michael1384
I learned today that braces hurt. And that when your bored, the answer is staring you in the face!
Mata
TWOC is an accepted legal acronym for Taken WithOut Consent.

-Also-

A person can know and use correcty the word 'facillitate' without know what the word 'immoral' means.
michael1384
Yesterday I learnt that Jeremy Clarkson thinks wasps are aliens.
CommieBastard
I learned that if I stay out at a friend's place until half past three in the morning, then leave and realise I have absolutely no idea where I am or how to get back to my home, a taxi will materialise and take me there. So no worries, then.
voices_in_my_head
I learned that children only scream when you have a headache.

And that the most obnoxious thing that a school administration could do to you is play christmas carols over the intercoms during passing periods... all day long.
Izzy
QUOTE (voices_in_my_head @ Dec 15 2006, 05:38 PM) *
And that the most obnoxious thing that a school administration could do to you is play christmas carols over the intercoms during passing periods... all day long.

I learned that just because bus drivers and teachers don't say anything about you singing carols all day long, it annoys them very much. 'Specially when you sing the 12 Day of Christmas 5 times in a row.

Also, that the best way to get free candycanes from 8th graders is to go, "Hey, in scrabble we just left a tripple word score wide open for you guys. Use it before Mr. C does.." This was good for two things, one, free candycane, two, the score was as followed.
Mr.C- 110points
1st Period (7th grade) - something below 50
2nd Period (7th Grade) - something below 50
3rd Period (6th Grade, aka, my class) - 99
4th Period (8th Grade)- Something below 50
5th Period (Dunno what Grade)- something below 50

We still have a shot at winning... For the first time this year!
Stardust_Smile
I've learnt that teachers wait until the last two weeks before christmas, then give you all your coursework back and tell you that they want it all re-done before we break up for christmas. Which gives me about nine days to re-do eight bits of coursework with the corrections and stuff. Eeeep no sleep for me then.
Izzy
I learned this a few days ago.. When someone says "We're going to have to scrube the launch" they don't litterly mean 'scrub the launch'. I was a bit curious as to how we were going to 'scrub' a football/soccer feild..Soap and water?
elphaba2
Today I learned about how much painting a room sucks when you have a strict code of guidelines and only a depressed existentialist brother for assistance.

"Pass the primer?"

"What's the use? We're all going to die."
Mata
Oddly enough, I was painting a room yesterday, and discovered that even if you are painting over a very light colour with white paint you still need to use primer - if you don't you'll only end up having to do five coats. Five bloomin' coats of paint! Ack!
alstan
I learned, when I moved to this house, which used to be owned by a smoker, that scrubbing the ceiling with sugar soap, primer and gawd knows how many coats of paint and still the stains show through.
Really ugh!
Phyllis
I learned the other day that if moop had immigrated to the US rather than me coming here to the UK, he would have had to undergo a complete mental and physical evaluation. Why? To prove he wouldn't take advantage of the health care system there.

It gave me a good chuckle, anyway.
Spacehappy
I learned that no matter how much you pay for a survey, they will still miss something and your insurance company says "tough it's an existing problem" and say your not covered. Then i learned you have to sue the survey company to put it right.
Kitty
I learned today that if I wear my glasses I dont sleep NEARLY as much in class. I suppose astigmatisms really do make you tired quicker.
blackbeltduck
Today I learned that if I post twice on this site, I can start my own thread.

Just kidding. wink.gif

Today I learned that you can spend an entire day answering 20 emails.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.