Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: You learn something new every day...
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Izzy
I learned that my friend Steph is INSANE. It's nearly 4 o clock in the morning. 10 minutes ago she was knocking on my front door. I thought I was hearing things because whenever I look through the little peek hole, I didn't see anything.. So I stand at the door for a few minutes..and then I see her knock. I open the door (which I learned opens rather loudly...) and ask why the hell she's here. "I was wondering if you wanted to walk and get some sushi with me" ...No, thanks. "Wuss!"

I need new friends...

*edit* Yay, we're gonna go get some sushi later around 11:00. Bring on the wasabi!
Mata
I learnt another new acronym: O.D.D. = Oppositional Defiant Disorder. Basically it's a condition where a person defies any authority figure just on principle of their position. I know I shouldn't, but it really just makes me think 'stroppy little wotsit who now has a posh name for being a pain in the butt'.
Daria
Things I learnt over the weekend
-Sleeping during the day, going out at night, sleeping from 4am to 7am then working 12-5 makes you tired
-The phrase "make sexy" is the most disturbing yet awesomest thing ever
-Pasta is the most versatile foodstuff in the world (subject to status, see back of pack for details)
FeralPolyglot
Segue-ing from Daria's Pasta Post, but in an unrelated event: I was reading up on Pasta Sauce, I read (and learned) that you shouldn't rinse the pasta after you cook it b/c it removes the layer of cornstarch that helps the sauce stick to the pasta. smile.gif Good to know.

Last week during Final Exam week, I rediscovered Caffeinated Beverages. I now more fully appreciate the power of Caffeine to help do Papers that have been victimized by my rampant Procrastination. happy.gif
Daria
Today I learnt people ^^^^ rinse pasta...
Izzy
I learned sushi places are closed at 4AM. Go figure. Also, that sushi is expensive..
michael1384
Today I learnt that if mankind were to paint all roofs in the world white, all climate change since the industrial revolution will be cancelled out.
Mata
Oo, that's a good one! Although if it's true, why aren't we doing it?

Today I've learnt that it can be bitterly cold inside a house even if you keep all the curtains closed!
Daria
Today I learnt that my little brother can be selfless- it was incredible, and it made me cry.
FeralPolyglot
While reading the "Cheese Gorge" thread, the word "Plasticine" came up a few times.

Today I looked it up on Wikipedia and found out what it was. It's modelling clay. :-p
voices_in_my_head
Today I realised that the plaque inside our school that says "Alma Mater" with the dates and poem below it is not a tribute to a person named Alma Mater. That is our school song.

Also, I feel like an idot for that.
Mata
'Alma Mater' means 'fostering/nurturing mother' in Latin. It's commonly used to describe a person's school, and in particular refers to universities.
michael1384
QUOTE (Mata @ Dec 21 2006, 01:48 PM) *
Oo, that's a good one! Although if it's true, why aren't we doing it?

Because we're all idiots!

Today I learnt that if you trace evolution back really far, we evolved from starfish.
Izzy
Yesterday I learned from my cousin that pictures are rectangular... ...Also, that I am "as dense as he is" according to my aunt, after I started rolling on the floor laughing when he said this. (We were in a store shopping for picture frames, but my aunt needed to know what kinda of picture frame to get so she calls him on her cell phone. It was just really funny when she stood there and said into the phone 'Yes..I know that they're all rectangular... Are they fat or tall?' 'I told you, they're rectangular!' 'Gah, nevermind. Tell Daddy to call me when he gets home. This is important'.)
Daria
Today, whilst having a play with my sister's 18" ones she has for her uni course, I learnt that I can walk in stilts biggrin.gif

I will master them before she goes back down to London on the 30th. They are so much fun.
Izzy
I learned the more you annoy your parents about opening presents on Christmas Eve, the soon they'll give in. I've unwrapped one present so far..At 11:30ish..30 minutes 'til Christmas!!!
Mata
James Brown is dead! Damn, I really wanted to see him live...

He was a complete git in life, but his music was superb. I doubt he will rest in peace, but I hope that he resolved issues before he left.
Moosh
QUOTE (Mata @ Dec 25 2006, 11:23 AM) *
James Brown is dead! Damn, I really wanted to see him live...

He was a complete git in life, but his music was superb. I doubt he will rest in peace, but I hope that he resolved issues before he left.

What!?!?

That's terrible, I really wanted to see him sing at some point. Ah well. RIP Soulman.
Daria
*got to see him*
He was incredible. It is a very sad loss for the music world, but the impact he made was immense.

I salute you!
FeralPolyglot
I learned that ICQ and AIM 6.0 are compatible! Whodathunk it? :-D
Izzy
I learned not only that people don't like you filming them in malls, but that you're not aloud to film inside stores...I learned that three times.
Mata
I was taking photos of button jars in a large shop once and was told to stop by the staff 'in case I was a terrorist'. A terrorist fixated on buttons. Buttons of doom. Death buttons. I probably should have asked permission, but I still thought that their reason was a bit weird.
I_am_the_best
I learnt about Gottfried Selbermann today. I probably spelt his name wrong. I also learnt that the egg came first which is cool I guess.
alstan
Today I learned that my teenage son, who will do anything to avoid going shopping with his parents, will happily go into town with his girlfriend and spend every last penny of his Chrissy-money on clothes.
My son helps me to learn just how out of touch I`m getting.
voices_in_my_head
QUOTE (Mata @ Dec 26 2006, 08:49 PM) *
I was taking photos of button jars in a large shop once and was told to stop by the staff 'in case I was a terrorist'. A terrorist fixated on buttons. Buttons of doom. Death buttons. I probably should have asked permission, but I still thought that their reason was a bit weird.

What, did you think that the famous Hollywood action movie phrase "Don't push the red button!" was nonsense?

Today I learned that there are towns pround of the fact that their name to fame is the Slaughter house/ Farming business. And they have no problem with making statues to prove it. (Possibly one of the oddest statues I've ever seen...)

I also learned (And believe me, I wasn't exactly suprised.) that the world's largest cross is located in the Panhandle of Texas. They advertise it as being "A religious experience that you will never forget!" laugh.gif
Greeneyes
There is, and will always be, a simpler solution to the one I thought of. And someone else will tell it to me after I've started doing it the hard way.
Izzy
I learned that without carbon dioxide Earth would freeze. I learned that with too much carbon dioxide the average temperature on Earth would be around 900F. Carbon dioxide = the blame for global warming?
michael1384
Well that's pretty much what global warming is.

I learnt that long ago, we used to call a snake "A nadder"

Now we call this snake an adder.
Izzy
I learnt that my name spelt backwards is dumbass. They must've changed the letters around or something.

PurpleMadness623 (06:51 PM) :
Stupid Izzy spelt backwards is Dumbass.

Spam, sorry, it was funny at the time. >.<
froggle-rock
I learnt this week that when I wear wellies the puddles I look forward to walking in do get puddley enough.
Novander
QUOTE (michael1384 @ Jan 1 2007, 03:37 AM) *

Along a similar theme, Newts used to be called Ewts.
michael1384
Earth has two moons. One in "the moon" and the other is 3 miles in diameter, was discovered in 1997 and is called "cleothnee" or "cleothnea" or something beginning with cloth.
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (Mata @ Dec 2 2006, 04:04 PM) *
I learned that, when you're looking at properties to rent, the word 'spacious' has different meanings depending on how close you are to the city centre. Not a very interesting thing to learn, I admit, but you'd like the language to maintain some sense of consistency, wouldn't you?

That day of consistency will only come when clothing manufacturers decide on a single size 10, 12, 14, etc. I am currently a size 8 (top) in M&S and size 14 in New Look. Go figure!

Today I learnt that my placement boss at Liverpool Museum was so chuffed with my work that he's been bigging me up and I even got a thank you card. Hurrah for thanks smile.gif
voices_in_my_head
Today I re-learned how to dilate a shape.

Also, when you have a ton of makeup work, get off the computer.
Sir Psycho Sexy
People are w@nkers, drunk people more so...this is hardly new, I just wanted to point it out...

Drivers are also ba$tards...well the ones that decide to indicate and break for a turning a few meters from their turning, completely ignoring the cyclist on their rear quarter...
all_da_haywire_n_havok
Today I learned that ducks have like gayness to them or something. Ok, I don't really know what they were talking about, but whatever...

I also learned it is almost impossible to write a post/email/msn message etc without spelling a bunch of words horribly weird!
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Feb 22 2007, 01:33 AM) *
Drivers are also ba$tards...well the ones that decide to indicate and break for a turning a few meters from their turning, completely ignoring the cyclist on their rear quarter...

I agree with that one! dry.gif I encounter morons on the road (mainly M62) on a daily basis. I had one today who thought it would be funny to storm down the outside lane despite there being massive queues and flashing signs say 40 and then have the cheek to abuse me when I pulled out to slow him down. He was miles back and he just didn't like the fact that I was stopping him speeding. Well excuse me for stopping you kill yourself you moron!!! dry.gif He continued to abuse me but I gave as good as I got!!! wink.gif

Learnt lots of new stuff today as I was in Uni so hurrah for full time education and being a mature student biggrin.gif
Crazy
Today, I learned that Aloha is like Hola, but with an extra A!
Mata
Isn't it weird that so many languages around the world have basically similar sounding ways of saying 'hello'?

Today I learnt about how to combine polygon meshes using Maya. Really, my lesson for the day was quite dull, but handy for my job... but still dull.
Izzy
I learnt that they're banning Heeley's in most malls because of people running into each other. *giggle* My cousin's face.. when they said that.. shall never forget.

Also, Bush told a student in East Londen "It is white" when asked what the White house was like.
Pringles light potato chips may not be labeled either “Light” or “Potato Chips” per US FDA regulations.
You can start a fire with ice.
Real diamonds can be made from peanut butter! (though I'm not sure how accurate that is..)

And on a side note, I have the same birthday as Queen Elizabeth I.
Mata
You can make diamonds from humans if you want - they come out as fairly impure yellow diamonds, because of the contaminents in the body, but you can make them from anything that's mainly carbon.
Izzy
Tahaha, cool. I learnt what I want done with my body once I die. Turn me into diamonds people!
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
There is actually a website somewhere that will do that for you. I can't remember where it was now though.
Daria
Today I learn just how awesome the internets are. I am getting a free bicycle from Freecycle.org and Russian lessons from someone on Gumtree.com.
elphaba2
QUOTE (Daria @ Feb 23 2007, 09:32 AM) *
Today I learn just how awesome the internets are. I am getting a free bicycle from Freecycle.org and Russian lessons from someone on Gumtree.com.

Freecycle ftw! I have gotten rid of ice skates and received a pile of books in French thanks to them.
Greeneyes
QUOTE (snoo @ Feb 23 2007, 02:06 PM) *
There is actually a website somewhere that will do that for you. I can't remember where it was now though.

You'd be thinking of LifeGem, then.
Apollyon
I learned that if you click a pen too many times in a row quickly, not only will everyone around you get annoyed, but the pen might explode and get horrible blue ink everywhere.
Izzy
Cat liter glows in the dark.

The most common name in the world is Mohamid.
Phyllis
QUOTE (Izzy @ Mar 7 2007, 06:03 PM) *

You sure about that one? I am fairly certain I have seen cat litter in the dark, because the room it was in had no windows, was always open, and I passed by it in the dark hall many times. I don't remember ever seeing it glow!

Today I learned that some girls were given in-school suspension for saying the word "vagina." The mind boggles.
Wytukaze
QUOTE (Novander @ Jan 26 2007, 06:04 PM) *
QUOTE (michael1384 @ Jan 1 2007, 03:37 AM) *

Along a similar theme, Newts used to be called Ewts.

Happened a lot in the history of the language. You can see some handy examples here and here. There are examples from other languages too, for example 'jade'.

QUOTE (michael1384 @ Feb 14 2007, 12:36 PM) *
Earth has two moons. One in "the moon" and the other is 3 miles in diameter, was discovered in 1997 and is called "cleothnee" or "cleothnea" or something beginning with cloth.

"Cruithne", and the English approximation of the pronunciation would be "creenya". It's technically not a moon, either, regardless of what QI says. Here, Wikipedia to the rescue: Cruithne.

QUOTE (candice @ Mar 7 2007, 07:00 PM) *
QUOTE (Izzy @ Mar 7 2007, 06:03 PM) *

You sure about that one? I am fairly certain I have seen cat litter in the dark, because the room it was in had no windows, was always open, and I passed by it in the dark hall many times. I don't remember ever seeing it glow!

I think that has something to do with the oft-quoted idea that cat urine glows in the dark. I can't comment on its veracity, though.

Today I learnt that I can sleep through any number of alarms. I'm only a step away from turning this power into something I can use to my advantage.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.