Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Saturday, Feb 3rd 2007 - Guildford - my 30th!
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2
Mata
Hi all,

I decided to leave it until London was out of the way before posting about this:

It's my 30th birthday on February 4th 2007, and so I am having a party in Guildford on Saturday 3rd Feb and everyone is invited.

The exact location isn't set yet, I'm moving to Guildford on 15th January, but it will be some establishment that serves alcohol. Hurrah!

Guildford is half an hour on the train from central London, and as such is immensely easy to get to. I will be living a few minutes from the station, and the meet will be in a suitably local venue.

There will be a bit of floor space, but it will be going to the most needy and those that have known me longest, so I can't promise that a lot will be left over.

More details will follow, but the essence of this post is that I would love to have loads of friends (old and new) out to party on the 3rd Feb, so please come along and bring anyone who likes to have fun!
froggle-rock
Oh-er, how the great do age tongue.gif

I'm up for it, though I'm a definaite at the moment, will let you know closer to the time.
blackbeltduck
Boo hiss, you should have been born two months later.
Witless
I can be fairly sure I'll be free that saturday as my semester ends the weekend before, and I have that week off, so I'll have no homework that needs doing. Yay me!
Sir Psycho Sexy
That'd require a whole weekend off! *gasp* Do I qualify for floor space?
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (Mata @ Jan 7 2007, 01:01 AM) *
It's my 30th birthday on February 4th 2007, and so I am having a party in Guildford on Saturday 3rd Feb and everyone is invited.

Ed and me are in Essex that weekend sorting out stuff in my Mum's flat. We are staying with an old friend and I don't really want to be cheeky and role in at the wee hours. I'll see what we can do as it'd be a shame not to pop in as we're only an hour or so away instead of the usual 5! laugh.gif
Mata
It would be lovely if you could come along Pixie: it's been ages since I've seen you!

I think my floor is getting quite full very quickly: Jonman and Mrs Jonman will hopefully be along, Matthew (from these forums) and his lady Anna hopefully, and a few other friends may also be staying... It could be very cosy indeed. I'll be able to work out better next week exactly how many people can be crammed in. It is worth bearing in mind that Guildford is only 35 minutes on the train from London, so any Londoners would be able to get home pretty easily - although late-nights are fun!
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (Mata @ Jan 8 2007, 11:13 PM) *
It would be lovely if you could come along Pixie: it's been ages since I've seen you!

I'll try but I can't promise anything as I've already said I'll see Cilla and my brother. I'm sure you'll have fun without me....it'll be difficult I know but do try wink.gif
markslut
I'm off from work that weekend (finally I'm free for a meet) - but would need somewhere to crash

(though I will be in London the weekend after for Torture Garden
Mata
Depending on how many of my ten-year+ friends decide to come along, I may have a very full flat indeed, so I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to fit forumitey people in. Like I say, it is very close to London, and the last train runs at 23:52, so just after pub chucking out time if people want to head back to London for a bed.
Sir Psycho Sexy
Thought as much...damn you for dangling the bogus carrot of possible floor space when no one here qualifies, you bad man you. tongue.gif
I'd be up for making a late night of it, I shall look into cheap hotel type thingies and would be willing to share with someone I...well, know...well...enough. Yeah...will think about this later...

...oh look, it's a squirrel.
Cath Sparrow
I'd love to come but I unfortunatly dont have any where near the funds for it. sad.gif
Wytukaze
I can come! I don't even need floorspace! (I could possibly even offer floorspace depending on the machinations of nonforumites.)

Daria, my favourite tagalong, will also be coming.
Faerieryn
Matt and I are up for it. We might even have a teeny floor board or two.
Cath Sparrow
There maybe scheme's in the plotting. I'll get back to you.
Pixelgoth
Still not sure but am trying smile.gif
Mata
Hi everyone. I don't have broadband at home yet, so I'm writing this from the library. There's no confirmed location yet, but I'm working on it. It will definitely be going ahead and it would be great to see as many of you as possible.
Cath Sparrow
And that post has all the sounds of an 'I'm in the Libary' post if ever I saw one! hehe tongue.gif
Mata
It does indeed smile.gif

I'm still in the library, and I start my new job in one hour. Eek!

However, I do have news, which is good and bad:

Good news:

The venue has been decided and it's... My flat! This makes it nice and cheap (bring along whaever you want to drink and some sort of snack/easily edible cake (preferably that won't spread crumbs/get trodden into the carpet!). I live about a road away from the train station, so it's very easy to get to/from and there's enough space for quite a few people in there (although it will probably be a bit cosy). There will be friends there from outside the forums, but I suspect you all may be in the majority, so be nice and mingle biggrin.gif

Bad news:
This does mean that I'm only inviting people I've met before. I hope you all understand that this is my home and the home of my girlfriend, so, while I'm sure everyone on here is lovely, it'll be better if we restrict this to being only people that have been to a previous meet. Sorry if this disappoints anyone!
Witless
Ok, yes I can 100% confirm I can come. I won't be needing floor space, though I don't think I will drink too much since long train journey's home with too much alcohol in the blood stream can be a wee bit of an unclever idea.

But yay Mata's house!
froggle-rock
Okays. So after spengin the last couple of hours becoming vexated by the nationalrail site, I have finaly found out train times and fares. All I need to do now if find someone who can book me the ticket, as they don't accept my bank card. So, I should be able to make it. Will update soon.
Calantyr
Me is a no-no as I'm moving house soon and funds are tight. sad.gif
bryden42
*pouts* would love to have come, but am not eligible and its my wifes birthday the same weekend sad.gif That And I am mega skint.

Say hello to Matthew for me smile.gif I really must email him.
Witless
poop, can't come. Complicated reasons. *crosses self off the list*
Tarantio
I'd love to come, if I'm welcome, it'd be an experience (as usual), and I still have a few spare pennies in my account from my loan (its also the weekend I get payed too, which helps a lot).

I'd need to travel to London and then on from there, so if someone wanted to meet me that was going from central London (Froggie and SPS, I'm looking at you two here), and also if someone was up for sharing a hotel/b+b room or something (SPS again, from what you've said) locally, then pm me and we'll make arrangements. Yarr!
Smiler
Yay! the FaerieRyn and I are free and will be there with bells on (or not as may be appropriate on the day - I dont own any bells but could sort something out wink.gif )

Anyway... Frog, you'll be fine without needing to book tickets there's no reserved seating as it such a local trip, there's about 10 or so trains an hour I think to and from Guildford so I wouldn't worry too much about pre-booking. I don't get a seat 5 days a week... wink.gif
froggle-rock
QUOTE (Tarantio @ Jan 23 2007, 08:15 PM) *
I'd need to travel to London and then on from there, so if someone wanted to meet me that was going from central London (Froggie and SPS, I'm looking at you two here)

Okie dokey, pig in a pokie. Let me know what time you will be geting in.
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (Tarantio @ Jan 23 2007, 08:15 PM) *
I'd need to travel to London and then on from there, so if someone wanted to meet me that was going from central London (Froggie and SPS, I'm looking at you two here), and also if someone was up for sharing a hotel/b+b room or something (SPS again, from what you've said) locally, then pm me and we'll make arrangements. Yarr!

As with all things, I'll need to know if I'm working, I did mention it to my boss and she IS fairly ok about this sorta thing, but I'm not gonna hold my breath, I've had a few weekends off of late which is pretty rare seeing as it's invaribly the busiest time of the week... Will know when I get home from work this evening either way.
Cath Sparrow
Afraid me a Wyvern will definatly not be comming. I kind of couldn't afford it without Wyvern comming but something came up and now I definatly cant afford it. Sorry and enjoy youselves. Hope it's a good one.
Faerieryn
QUOTE (Smiler @ Jan 25 2007, 01:52 PM) *
Yay! the FaerieRyn and I are free and will be there with bells on (or not as may be appropriate on the day - I dont own any bells but could sort something out wink.gif )

Anyway... Frog, you'll be fine without needing to book tickets there's no reserved seating as it such a local trip, there's about 10 or so trains an hour I think to and from Guildford so I wouldn't worry too much about pre-booking. I don't get a seat 5 days a week... wink.gif

I'm sure I can find bells... *Goes off looking for bells* We will indeed be there. Also I think we may have mentioned it before but we live one stop from guildford so if peeps need a crash spot let us know. House is v. small with a large cat but aside from that we don't bite too hard!
Mata
Could someone set up a confirmations thread please? I've not got enough time online to do it!

I'm looking forward to seeing whoever can make it smile.gif
Sir Psycho Sexy
Work strikes again!

...well, unreliable employees do at least...ho-hum
Mata
I work very hard! Mostly.
Mata
I won't be online again until Monday, so I'll see whoever makes it tomorrow. Any meet-up regulars who can make it are welcome to get the details off of those who are coming!

Woooo! Birthday party!
Cath Sparrow
Hope you have soopa doopa fabby fun really sorry I cant make would have loved to come. Welcome to my world! tongue.gif
Smiler
'Twas a grand soirée with many a giggle had.
Rykan
It were grand!
Is there going to be a photo thread, or just stick 'em up here? biggrin.gif
Mata
Stick 'em on here. I'll add mine when the internet at home finally gets turned on smile.gif Thanks for coming!
Rykan
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v633/Ryk...n/Matas%20Bday/

Only 7 photos I'm afraid tongue.gif
Mata
Crikey, we were all bloomin' loud! Thanks to those who came, and to texters, and well-wishers generally. I had a great time. At the peak we fitted 17 people in my living room, which is damn good going!

Nice photos, I've not formatted mine for the web yet.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v633/Ryk...=MataBday08.jpg
I look really sinister in that one!

Although perhaps I look even more scary here:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v633/Ryk...=MataBday02.jpg

Spooky!
Izzy
Mata, you and the guy with the tattoos on his arms look really alike. I was all "Woah, his tattoos disappeared!" tongue.gif
Stardust_Smile
Great photos!!! hope you had a fun day Mata smile.gif
Moosh
QUOTE (Izzy @ Feb 7 2007, 12:26 AM) *
Mata, you and the guy with the tattoos on his arms look really alike. I was all "Woah, his tattoos disappeared!" tongue.gif

*Points Izzy to picture containing both Mata and guy-with-tattoos-on-his-arms-that-apparently-looks-like-Mata-(although-I-can't-see-it-myself)*

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v633/Ryk...=MataBday05.jpg
Stardust_Smile
Actually I do see her point...they look kinda similar.
elphaba2
QUOTE (Mata @ Feb 6 2007, 04:47 PM) *
Although perhaps I look even more scary here:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v633/Ryk...=MataBday02.jpg

Spooky!

I like your little hair protuberance, Mata! It reminds me of a small bird. Most people have difficulty with that sort of hair, so go you for wearing it nicely.

My one question is: was everyone else part of a team of secret black-coat-wearing private eyes? The photo of people walking in what looks like a train station is very convincing to that effect.
I_am_the_best
The second picture, at first, looked like Mata was wearing a dress.
Izzy
QUOTE (CheeseMoose @ Feb 7 2007, 11:07 AM) *
QUOTE (Izzy @ Feb 7 2007, 12:26 AM) *

*Points Izzy to picture containing both Mata and guy-with-tattoos-on-his-arms-that-apparently-looks-like-Mata-(although-I-can't-see-it-myself)*

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v633/Ryk...=MataBday05.jpg

That's kinda how I figured out they were different people. biggrin.gif
Rykan
QUOTE (I_am_the_best @ Feb 7 2007, 10:48 PM) *
The second picture, at first, looked like Mata was wearing a dress.

*SNIGGER* omg, it so does! Ah see now, I'm gonna have to photomanip a photo of Mata into a dress :b
LadyMcDeath
*ta-daa* I've finally found my way to the other side!

We had a lovely weekend Mata, thanks for having us smile.gif
We want to see more pictures!
blackbeltduck
Whoa, time flies!

Happy birthday! It looks very cozyish.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.