Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SNOW!
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2
Faerieryn
OK you get the picture from the title and description. It's snowing here!!!! For those of you who don't understand the sheer miraculous nature of this occurrence let me break it down. IT IS SNOWING IN SURREY!!!!! We don't get snow!!! Well we do occasionally but I'm on a snow day at home preparing to make soup. Yes I'm off work with little do to except post!!!! SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
P.S There are photos on my myspace www.myspace.com/faerieryn
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
Yay for you!

We've not really got any snow here but my morning lecture has been cancelled because the lecturer can't get in... still have to go in for a lecture this afternoon though sad.gif

*edit*
It has just started snowing really heavily!!
froggle-rock
My siblings and I are putting on some warm clothes so we can go throw snowballs at eachother!

/me bounces
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
It's snowing again... big fluffy flakes.

The view from my window
bug0112
It snowed here too! In the West Midlands. Snow. In the West Midlands. I still can't believe it!!!! I look out the window, expecting to see rain and I see SNOW!!!!!!!! biggrin.gif
Smiler
Pain in the backside is that while schools in Surrey were closed (Hence FaerieRyn being at home) I had to go to work and boy if there's one thing that seems to stop a train its a little cold H2O
Pixelgoth
Bah to you all! I'm off but I'm too poorly to enjoy the snow. *gets down on knees and raises fists* why god why?!? sad.gif
I_am_the_best
^^ Make that almost all schools in Surrey. >.> We still had school but it was more fun 'cos it meant we could play with friends in the snow, even if it also meant math and English would be spent staring unhappily out the window. And cold toes. smile.gif
Faerieryn
Where abouts are you in Surrey?
gothictheysay
It didn't really snow here until January - we were all scared, it's New England for crying out loud! But glad you are enjoying your snow. biggrin.gif
I_am_the_best
QUOTE (Faerieryn @ Feb 8 2007, 06:19 PM) *
Where abouts are you in Surrey?

Kingston. Although technically Ic ross county borders on the way to school (from Middlesex), which I think is quite exciting in a dull kinda way.
froggle-rock
I ended up having a snow fight with my siblings and it was great fun! We only had one pair of gloves to share between us, so it was a case of when one's hands started to hurt you go and get them from who's hands were hurting before.

Played in teams against each other, played gang up on one person- I'm sure they were the most relentless with me. I got hit by a snow ball so hard on the side of the face that my glasses went flying off and one of the nose pads came off! Also, we played a game called Snow Donkey whereby one person stands in an area (we used the door step) and has to avoid being hit by the snowballs thrown at them by others (but has to stay in the area). One point for a body hit, two for a face hit.

There are a couple of pics, and if I remember (as I have to download them from a phone) I'll post them.

bug0112, I'd more expect it to snow in the Midlands than Lond, what with you being that bit further north than me wink.gif
Mata
I still had to go to work... But I do only live 60 seconds from my door. That's the door of my flat, not the block of flats!

Those are really nice pictures Snoo smile.gif
Cath Sparrow
I think the senility's setting in as I would hope you would live a bit closer to your door really. tongue.gif

We have more snowfall today but it's been melt but now is starting to stick a bit again.
Stardust_Smile
I didn't get any snow at all sad.gif I was very dissapointed. I'm from right at the south of Hampshire so I guess it wasn't cold enough.

Glad you all had fun in the snow though! smile.gif
Daria
Wytu and I came back from his lecture to find most of the snow melted- or slushy- but our garden was full of untouched snow. Incredible, thinking that there are 6 people in our house and I'm guessing the same amount in the house next door with which we share the garden. So we got a couple of friends to come round (one being 37) and we had a snowball fight. It was awesome happy.gif
Mata
Since when has being in your thirties prevented having snowball fights? I chucked a snowball at a wall on the way to work because there was no-one else around to play with (at least, no-one who would give me an ASBO for throwing snowballs!).
Daria
It only surprised me because my brother and sister both stopped wanting to play in the snow when they were about 13 or 14. The fact that a group of 18, 13 and 37 year olds wanted to play in the snow delighted me, to say the least biggrin.gif
Izzy
I want to play in the snow... sad.gif Anyone up for a sandball fight?
Daria
QUOTE (Izzy @ Feb 14 2007, 02:02 PM) *
I want to play in the snow... sad.gif Anyone up for a sandball fight?

OMFG I have SUCH a good idea. Izzy, you come here to East London and do my job for me. All it entails is answering the phone with our business name (5 words long) and very simple alphabetical filing. AND you'd get paid the equivalent of about $15 an hour for it. While you're doing that, I can come to Florida and sunbathe- perhaps my toes may even thaw out.

That's a point, you will need two pairs of socks as your feet get frozen.

Whaddya think?

NB- There is no promise of snow, but I would be able to be warm.
Izzy
^ Totally up for that! All you'd have to do is simple simple 6th grade work, and possibly take the FCAT for me! Tellya what, if we swap now, I'll make Donny drive you to the beach. You can even use my beach towel!!! *hands you sun lotion*
Daria
sad.gif I want to be at the beee-eeach

I'd be so up for a beach party right now. Food, beer (damn you Americans and your crazy drinking laws) and BEACH.

BEACHBEACHBEACHBEACHBEACHBEACHBEACH!
(That makes a nice rhythm when you type it)
Izzy
Hmm, 75 degress (F) right now. Water's not too freezing.
gothictheysay
It is just pouring buckets of snow right now. We have a snow day, and boy, I think we're lookin' at at least 2 feet here.
Kitty
It iced here. Meaning.... we have lots of tiny almost-snow-like-particles of ICE.... it still gets us out of school, atleast :\
elphaba2
We got around 2 inches but then piles of freezing rain. Meaning it's no fun to play in. Harrumph.
trunks_girl26
We're currently getting a mix of the three posts previous to this.......

I, personally, hate snow, but when it closes down all of campus and you get to stay inside and watch it, it's rather beautiful =)
Pixelgoth
I should be careful what I wish for as I got my wish for snow on the Friday while driving over the Pennines and into Sheffield almost killing myself when I lost control of my car and slide sideways down a road. OOoop! Luckily I was only going about 5 miles an hour so I just bumped off the kerb and not the Audi on the other side of the road. The b****** in the Audi watched me slide to a halt and didn't even come over to see if I was alright sitting at right angles to the kerb. I got my own back though as I then watched him trying to drive back up the road backwards and just wheelspinning all over the place. HA! dry.gif
elphaba2
I feel bad for all the driving people... sad.gif

Right now, where I am the roads are pretty clear. But--we got about four inches of nice lovely wet snow and it's been continuing all day. And, and, I got to run out and make snow angels and snow people and snow...creatures and a few sad snow sculpture things and I threw a snowball at my normally dreary AP English teacher and she caught it (with a lit cigarette in her hand, of all the wonders), laughing. I love it when snow puts everyone in a really good mood.

And now it's the sort of almost-rain-but-still-snow falling under the streetlight very subtly, which is the sort of thing that is just beautiful to look at.
Daria
Umm.. ok, so it's March and I am in London.
And there are large lumps of snow (about 1cm in diameter) simply falling from the sky- coming straight down. It snowed lots last night in London (and Milton Keynes where I was) apparently, but it had all melted by the morning.
This is getting silly. There was thunder a few minutes ago, too.

Last week, it was so sunny and warm that I had the front door open and the back door so there was a breeze blowing through.
I_am_the_best
It's snowing right now. It was sunny this morning. The boiler has also taken this oppurtunity to break down and so there is no heating or hot water in my house. Woohoo.
trunks_girl26
Last Friday we got 10+ inches of snow, effectively burying the entire town....and last week was supposed to be my spring break sleep.gif
elphaba2
SNOW!!! We got the first snow of the year!! I'm going for a big fat lovely walk in it and--and yay. I love snow.
Mata
Does anyone else feel really happy when they see their first robin of the winter? (You know, the birds with the red chest, rather than just a bloke called Robin.) I saw mine about a month ago, and promptly had to tell everyone nearby. I don't think they all shared my glee.
Daria
QUOTE (Mata @ Dec 2 2007, 07:35 PM) *
Does anyone else feel really happy when they see their first robin of the winter? (You know, the birds with the red chest, rather than just a bloke called Robin.) I saw mine about a month ago, and promptly had to tell everyone nearby. I don't think they all shared my glee.

Number Four on the list of Things Wot I Miss About Living In The Coun'ry:
Birds that aren't pigeons. In our garden, it seems that we only have magpies and pigeons. And a big fluffy cat that tries to headbutt our cats through the glass in the windows.
I'm going to stay with my parents from about the... 21st or 22nd of December and I think I will spend lots of time just looking out my window at all the pretty animals and robins and fields. And eat chocolate >_>
Phyllis
We seem to get mostly pigeons here as well. I can't remember the last time I saw a robin. I have to admit that I have a strange soft spot for pigeons, even though they are like flying rats. My sister has called me Pigeon since I was...err...10? If she ever has kids, they will almost certainly call me Auntie Pigeon.

We had a little bit of snow awhile ago. It didn't last very long, though. I noticed it around 8 PM, and it was raining by the time we went to bed. Still...snow! I get a lot more excited about it now that I don't live somewhere that has snow on the ground from October/November through March/April.
patback87
Yea we got snow in Chicago on yesterday I will have to post the pictures, but by 3PM it had changed to sleet and was a real mess, then as I walked out the door today it started to down pour so all our snow is gone now.
sirdudly
We don't get snow in this part of California. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure if it's winter yet. Things kinda just stop being summer around Thanksgiving until it returns in February.
Mata
You know it's not summer anyone in California when the whole state stops burning... Let's hope you get some more rain next year!
gothictheysay
Snow day! Now if only I actually felt like playing in it...
Izzy
*SOTOTALLYJEALOUS! AGAIN*

I'm wearing shorts and a t-shirt right now., and am still really hot. I HATE Florida. I wish it would atleast hit 50...
Hyperion
sad.gif It doesn't snow in Mississippi, either, you know, but I'm jealous both of the snow, and the shorts & tshirt. it's freezing cold here, and not in the fun snowy way. Poo on that.
Izzy
Yeah, but I don't really think of 82 degrees in December as fun. At least it's not 'hot hot' just 'not cold'.
Mata
It's currently 12C in my study. That's 53.6F. My fingers are cold.
Pikasyuu
The last time I remember us having snow was November/December of 2003, and then yesterday, it snows! Loved it. Snow should, however, look as cold as it is..
Daria
The other day, I noticed it was 7C in our lounge. I had wondered why I was a little cold...
I loathe turning on the heating- I really do wish that the fireplace in our lounge was unblocked, as I like fire and it is a lovely way of being sociable: you know, being the only warm room in the house!
Having said that, it is quite nice to have your house warmer inside than the air is outside.
Hyperion
BAH! We have a wall heater in our house and it is not a sociable occassion. It's mostly an occassion to complain about the first person home not turning it on, and that we have to leave our bedroom doors open to not freeze at night (in which case my roommate's dogs come in and get hair all over my carpet!!) and ooooh I absolutely dispise winter.

smile.gif Rant.

edit:

Someone obviously needs to shove a Christmas tree up my grinchy bottom. XD
Pikasyuu
/me snaps on a pair of rubber gloves and quirks an eyebrow at Miss Hyperion

Does someone? wink.gif

and in less spammerific news, it seems like we're back to being around the sixties and nearly seventies farenheit. That's a huge bummer, since winter, while it limits the number of cigarettes I can have, is my favorite.
Hyperion
Oh baby. *bends over*

Yeah, it was relatively warm around noon when I left my house today, and of course, by four it was absolutely frigid and I didn't bring my jacket. Probably why I'm so grumpy.
patback87
Yea it's freezing here and snowing, ugh I know it's going to be a season full of snow, just because this year I don't live in a large building and I'm going to have to shovel my deck and stairs so I don't fall and crack my head, I'll post the pictures I took about an hour ago. For those who wish to see snow right now, lol.
Edit: here you go for you snow lovers.
My Deck

The stairs I mentioned falling and breaking my head on.

I tried to get a picture of it snowing, but night snow pictures are hard to get, that's why I shot right into the light.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.