Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Let's be honest here people...
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > The Issues Forum
all_da_haywire_n_havok
Alright, honestly people. Wat are your thoughts on, well, it all?

Do you accept gays and lesbians?
When do you feel people are ready to go all the way?

You know, stuff like that...

Well, start talking...
bryden42
SEXUALITY! as you can tell from the capitals its a fairly big subject, care to narrow it down a little?
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (bryden42 @ Feb 12 2007, 08:49 PM) *
SEXUALITY! as you can tell from the capitals its a fairly big subject, care to narrow it down a little?

I think it's a little bigger than that, hold on a sec....

SEXUALITY!

There we go...

Edit:

Edit 2:
In all seriousness, you'll be hard pushed to find someone who has a view anymore right wing than "live and let live" on the whole subject of "deviant" sexualities, we're all rather deviant here, in our own little ways. wink.gif
Mata
Little ways? There has been a long-standing thread on these forums about bisexuality that gets resurrected every once in a while. Weirdly, I seem to have attracted an unusually high number of bisexuals to this site. I'm bi, but there's still no reason why the people who join the forums are more likely to be bi than anywhere else... So:

Is there a relationship between sexuality and education, class, or personality?
Izzy
QUOTE (Mata @ Feb 12 2007, 07:58 PM) *
Weirdly, I seem to have attracted an unusually high number of bisexuals to this site. I'm bi, but there's still no reason why the people who join the forums are more likely to be bi than anywhere else...

Maybe it's not that you have more bi people than other places, but just more people that are open about it? *bi*
PsychWardMike
Actually, I think that bisexuality does have some class connotations. Artists, I've found, often identify as bisexuals, if only to gain the new experiences. I've found it in all forms of the arts in my studies here at college (I'm a music composition major, in case ye were wondering.) I've friends in music, art, and theatre who all identify as bisexuals (meself included!) Take into account that, when not working, smoking pot/drinking, or being weird, artists nowadays spend all their time on the internets and the added bonus that the 'Zone is a quirky, artistic, and accepting place, we have a high quantity of bisexuals.

It's a good place to be.
Daria
I am straight- I have never done anything sexual with another girl and I don't find myself attracted to women. Having said that, I could kiss/ lick/ poke (in the boobies) someone but it would mean nothing to me. I have no hang-ups or prejudices (sp?) about homosexuality (guy on guy things are a turn-on, even) and I am very proud of all my friends who have accepted their sexual orientation.

I am middle-class, would consider myself arty and extroverted, and had never met anyone who is gay and of my own age until I went to 6th form. I think my parents are slightly homophobic, but only in the way that they are also racist- they just have slightly outdated views on some things- but I was brought up to accept everyone for who they are. I think the more you are educated with facts as opposed to your parents' views/ those of your church/ common conceptions, the more likely you will be "ok" with homosexuality.

Or you're just GAY!
all_da_haywire_n_havok
Alright, I'm gonna tell a story about sexuality. Actually, about things that are still going on today in highschools, even after everything.

In grade nine, me and my best friend entered the big highschool world. It was pretty awesome for us. But, about half way through the year, my friend discovered she had feelings for another girlfriend of ours, and she came out as bisexual. The two started going out (our other friend was already out as a bi), but almost instantly they were picked on. Whenever they walked down the hall together, someone would always yell something, like "D*ke!" at them. I was also called that often, even though I am 100% straight, just because I was always with them. It got to be pretty bad, that even after they broke up, and they both stuck to guys, they were still made fun of. My bff stopped coming to school, and transferred that summer to a new highschool.

That is my story. I just think it is ultra lame that people can still be so diragatory (cant spell) to this day. We were all negatively affected, and for the stupidest reason. My two friends may have actually been in love, but everything tore them apart...

So, if anyone else has some sort of story, feel free to share.
PsychWardMike
One might wonder why your avatar states that you're "Gay as a goose" yet you identify as "100% straight." Just saying.

But yeah, there are always stories. It happens. Admittedly, I'm surprised that it happened that two bisexual girls were maliciously ridiculed (it's been my experience that they often are the brunt of a different kind of teasing - one more sexual in nature by the male population) but whatever.

And on a completely non related note, please do try to clean up some of your spelling. It's "school" with a "ch" and "because" with a "cause." It makes your posts much more legible and more compelling to read.

Tchusse!
Izzy
Yeah, well that's high school for ya...
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Feb 14 2007, 08:34 PM) *
One might wonder why your avatar states that you're "Gay as a goose" yet you identify as "100% straight." Just saying.

How many gay geese do you know? I can't think of many... Or is that some American thing I don't get?

QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Feb 14 2007, 08:34 PM) *
And on a completely non related note, please do try to clean up some of your spelling. It's "school" with a "ch" and "because" with a "cause." It makes your posts much more legible and more compelling to read.

That, and, y'know, it's in the rules...
Greeneyes
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Feb 15 2007, 02:41 PM) *
How many gay geese do you know? I can't think of many... Or is that some American thing I don't get?

It's well known that ducks engage in homosexual (amongst other things) encounters. It wouldn't surprise me if geese did too.

</spam>
Sir Psycho Sexy
True, if Mata's comic has taught us anything, it's that geese are allied with demons....also that Da Vinci beat Hitler-bot...
PsychWardMike
True. And once you have an alliance with demons, queers are just a stone's throw away.
Mata
Demon worship drove me to bisexuality, for sure. (I'd love to see that turn up in a fundamentalist Christian's search results!)

If it weren't for social pressures, I would certainly have had more male relationships, but I don't feel like I've massively missed out because I'm just into cool people - the gender thing is someone else's issue. There have been enough cool people around to date that I don't feel like that social stigma of dating a man has had a massive influence on my love life. I guess being monogamous helps too!
PsychWardMike
Don't worry, Mata. A healthy dose of good Christian shame and prayer will cure that right up.
trunks_girl26
And of course, by "cure that up" you mean make it worse, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight? wink.gif

[/worst spam ever]
Pikasyuu
QUOTE (Mata @ Feb 13 2007, 12:58 PM) *
Little ways? There has been a long-standing thread on these forums about bisexuality that gets resurrected every once in a while. Weirdly, I seem to have attracted an unusually high number of bisexuals to this site. I'm bi, but there's still no reason why the people who join the forums are more likely to be bi than anywhere else... So:

I'd like to hope not, but there more than likely is. Sexuality will always be something of a mystery since humans have so many different, well, minds, to put it very broadly. What could have triggered an attraction towards bisexuality in one person may not have triggered it in someone else. I realized that I was bisexual around the age of nine or ten, somewhere along there, a little before it became a trend in schools - yet a lot of the people I know that claimed to be bisexual around that point in time have stayed bisexual. Maybe they just felt it was a more acceptable time to come out?

Personality, definitely. Well, not sexuality itself, but how it's dealt with. I only have a few examples of that, one being the fact that my father was homosexual but never actually came out besides to a couple of people, none of which were my mother. tongue.gif I think that since it's still unacceptable in several cultures, people simply don't acknowledge the thought of homosexuality or bisexuality at all and never give themselves a chance to explore what they may or may not like. The same goes for class, and education as well, since education is where people develop the most, and just the same as personality, if you're around an educational system that doesn't research or accept any sexuality besides heterosexuality, it's possible that you wouldn't even entertain the idea.

I think a lot of the reason I was so comfortable being who I am is because I was never in an environment where any orientation was taboo. My mother made very sure that I never thought of homosexuality or bisexuality as anything disgusting or bad, and growing up knowing that it was something completely natural that I had become comfortable with at a young age, I had no problem with it.
Mata
So we could say that those raving right-wing nut jobs are right: liberal values do make kids gay! Hurrah!
PsychWardMike
Godô help us all.
Pikasyuu
QUOTE (Mata @ Feb 20 2007, 12:23 PM) *
So we could say that those raving right-wing nut jobs are right: liberal values do make kids gay! Hurrah!

Yayyyy. /spam
I still would like to see homosexuality more accepted, but who wouldn't. After all those celebrity slurs, it isn't looking great.
Wytukaze
QUOTE (Mata @ Feb 13 2007, 12:58 AM) *

No.

To put it in more concrete terms than everyone else has been so far, the only link is that those with more education are more likely to be accepting of nonheterosexuals. Good word. Anyway, this may well mean you get more people identifying as gay or bi, but that does not mean that more well-educated people are gay or bi; they're just more (able to be) open about it.

Class is basically a null factor nowadays. You can be from a working-class background and not be a raging homophobe. Trouble is, once you get more education, you basically move up into the middle class anyway. That's how those two classes are defined from each other. Let's not bother talking about the upper class.

As for personality, isn't that a composite of your experiences, outlook, etc etc? Wouldn't sexuality naturally contribute to this anyway? I mean, that's not saying you can't find both gay bastards and straight bastards, but your sexuality does compose part of who you are, even if it's as minor as how you react to different, ahem, stimuli.

Fin de rant.
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (all_da_haywire_n_havok @ Feb 14 2007, 05:39 PM) *
Alright, I'm gonna tell a story about sexuality. Actually, about things that are still going on today in highskools, even after everything.

In grade nine, me and my best friend entered the big highskool world. It was pretty awesome for us. But, about half way through the year, my friend discovered she had feelings for another girlfriend of ours, and she came out as bisexual. The two started going out (our other friend was already out as a bi), but almost instantly they were picked on. Whenever they walked down the hall together, someone would always yell something, like "D*ke!" at them. I was also called that often, even though I am 100% straight, just becuz I was alwayz with them. It got to be pretty bad, that even after they broke up, and they both stuck to guys, they were still made fun of. My bff stopped coming to skool, and transferred that summer to a new highskool.

That is my story. I just think it is ultra lame that people can still be so diragatory (cant spell) to this day. We were all negatively affected, and for the stupidest reason. My two friends may have actually been in love, but everything tore them apart...

So, if anyone else has some sort of story, feel free to share.

Perhaps it's just an age thing. I remember at school that if you did anything remotely unusual (like wear the wrong shoes) you could have your head kicked in. I wouldn't take it personally as the people who act like bullies are usually the ones who end up with nothing in life. Your friend should be happy that's she's found someone she's into. Personally it takes a while to get to a stage where you don't care what other people think. I'm still trying to find that place at 30! I know it's easier said than done but really they aren't worth the hassle. Rise above it smile.gif

I'm not sure how I'd put myself sexually. I am currently not interested in sex at all. I put it down to mild depression with the death of my mother and that fact that I have never had a high sex drive sad.gif It sucks but to be blunt about it sex isn't the be all and end all. As long as you're affectionate that's OK. I'd love to be bouncing off the walls more regularly but I don't think I'll ever get to that stage. Thankfully Ed is very understanding!!

When I AM interested in nookie I don't really have a preference. I've tried both men and women and both float my boat....so to speak....so I'm not ruling anything out at all. Basically, if it turns you on and it doesn't hurt anyone (unless they like that!) I say try it! wink.gif
all_da_haywire_n_havok
Well, I am happy to say that after a little looking around, my friend has found a new school she is really into, and I am happy for her. And although the two of them didn't get back together (one moved across Canada with her family), they are both ok. My friend still considers herself bi, and openly talks about both males and females (in that way). smile.gif

On another note, I am sorry for my spelling in my original story. sad.gif If it confused anyone I am very sorry. I have gone through and edited it.

And about the gay as a goose thing, well that's just a joke. It's a Jared Leto thing, if you aren't a fan then you probably won't understand...
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (all_da_haywire_n_havok @ Feb 22 2007, 04:42 PM) *
On another note, I am sorry for my spelling in my original story. sad.gif If it confused anyone I am very sorry. I have gone through and edited it.

And about the gay as a goose thing, well that's just a joke. It's a Jared Leto thing, if you aren't a fan then you probably won't understand...

I think it was only Mike you outraged on both counts there...but he just likes to complain.
PsychWardMike
I wasn't "outraged" per se. I just thought that I needed to point out that the rules of the forum ask for proper English... sorry if I offended you. And I wasn't pissed about the avatar, either. Just curious that someone who is straight would have an icon like that. No biggie.
Crazy
Umm I'm kinda young to be dealing with those gay/bi situations at my school... But what do I really think about gay/bi people? I would accept them, unless a girl tries hitting on me. But yeah, that's just me. What I mean is, that I don't judge people or reject them or accept them for their orientation, I do it from their personality... as everyone should.
Mata
Well, when it becomes not-too-freaky for a girl to be hitting on you (in about nine or ten years perhaps) then I hope you'll accept it as a compliment and assert firmly and sensitively how you feel.
PsychWardMike
What's with the yung'uns being so concerned aboot sex? They're yung'uns.

Anyway, keep an open mind. Always good to broaden your horizons.
Daria
QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Feb 23 2007, 12:12 AM) *
What's with the yung'uns being so concerned aboot sex? They're yung'uns.

Anyway, keep an open mind. Always good to broaden your horizons.

With the thought of sex, attractiveness and seduction being brought to kids ever earlier- example Bratz dolls, in particular the Bratz babies (as seen below)

kids have to deal with their self image and place in society sooner than they once used to. I remember being at primary school, and my female friends having boyfriends. The most they would do would be to hold hands or see each other at lunchtime- sex wasn't even thought about. Those who didn't want to have a boyfriend or who thought boys were icky, stayed well away from boyfriends and instead played in the mud. (Guess which one I was? biggrin.gif)

But I guess that is a whole different tangent.
(One which I would be happy to share my views on, though. Heh)
PsychWardMike
The whole line of toys and paraphanalia having anything to do with Bratz - as well as those who designed, marketed and green lighted it should be incinerated. I hate them. So much.
Daria
QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Feb 23 2007, 06:25 PM) *
The whole line of toys and paraphanalia having anything to do with Bratz - as well as those who designed, marketed and green lighted it should be incinerated. I hate them. So much.

Ditto.
I was once in a Woolworths shop, demanding to see the manager because there was a notebook on the shelf which had a picture of a "pretty" girl on it with a caption. The caption read something like "If you don't have anything good to say, look pretty".

I was furious. Sitting next to it was a Playboy notepad.
Moosh
QUOTE (Daria @ Feb 23 2007, 07:13 PM) *
QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Feb 23 2007, 06:25 PM) *

Ditto.
I was once in a Woolworths shop, demanding to see the manager because there was a notebook on the shelf which had a picture of a "pretty" girl on it with a caption. The caption read something like "If you don't have anything good to say, look pretty".

I was furious. Sitting next to it was a Playboy notepad.

I know someone with a folder which has "Golddigga (sic) - Thank God I'm Not Ugly" on it. It's just like, why are people walking around with this stuff, as if they're somehow proud of what it's saying about them?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.