Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Draft for Women
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > The Issues Forum
Apollyon
Today in history there was some discussion about a draft being extended so that both women and men have to register, and I honestly wasn't sure about my opinions concerning the matter. I know that I probably should feel that women should be included in selective service, because women (including myself) have been clamoring for completely equal rights for years.

Yet, somehow... I don't want to be drafted, and I'm pretty sure that if it does happen, many of the same women who wanted equal rights will protest it.

Does anyone else have an opinion on the subject?
pgrmdave
Equal rights means equal opportunity - if women can fight as well as men can, they should be drafted just like men cain. Keep in mind though that the average woman may not be able to keep up physically with the average man, so even if they are draftable, they may never be drafted in the same numbers as men can be.
Phyllis
I would absolutely be against women in the US being forced to register for selective service.

But I'm also against men having to register, so I don't think it's hypocritical on my part at all.
pgrmdave
Cand, would you agree though that it is unfair, and potentially illegal, to require men to register but exempt women based soley on gender?
Phyllis
QUOTE (pgrmdave @ Feb 24 2007, 05:12 AM) *
Cand, would you agree though that it is unfair, and potentially illegal, to require men to register but exempt women based soley on gender?

Of course. I disagree with whatever Supreme Court decision it was (cannot remember the name and can't be bothered to look it up) that decided it didn't violate the equal protection clause.

In a way I find it somewhat insulting. Like the US government is saying "It's okay, little lady. If we need to draft people for a war, you can just stay home and bake cookies while the men go off to take care of it. Wouldn't want you to ruin your manicure." Not that I would go off and take care of it if drafted (which would be a pretty odd scenario -- it'd have to happen in the next year because soon I'll be too old anyway, and I don't know how the fact that I live overseas would affect it). I'd conscientiously object until I was blue in the face. But I still kind of resent the implication, anyway, and I definitely find it to be unfair toward men.
Apollyon
Actually, after thinking about it more, even if they did implement the draft for women as well, many would get out of it, because they'd have to have some sort of clause to protect families, so that both adult members of the family aren't drafted.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.