Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Only Who?
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > The Issues Forum
Secretkeeper
Why is it? Everything looks ok "after all it involves 2 people who are of age". OR--- It is none of my bussiness... OR--- Its their life... OR--- What difference does it make? Etc. Etc. Etc. To me these all seem to be an avoidance to see what lies at the edge of the pond or what lies ahead. There are dozens of ways to say it. We could be talking about the Atom bomb or sex between two consenting individuals... Or so many other subjects where lack of resposibility for the consequeses that were not taken into consideration could come into play.

Is it just an unwillingness to look or a lack of "darn" the consequences?

OR... What are your toughts?
pgrmdave
My thoughts? I think that I don't understand what you are trying to say.
Secretkeeper
OK... lets try some examples...

Did those who created the atom Bomb really think through the concequences of their actions.???

Did those who ignored the brutal attack on the child next door care?

If you want to do something others may consider "bad" have you really considered why they may think that and that there is solid basis for their opinion?

Actions have consequences...How good are we at defining and judging if the concequences to ourself or others is good/bad?

And don't feel bad about not understanding it is a very broad question.
CrazyFooIAintGettinOnNoPlane
I don't feel bad, just confused.

Are you are saying people should be more responsible in these situations rather than regarding things as someone else's problem?

What do your examples have in common with each other?

QUOTE (Secretkeeper @ Mar 10 2007, 09:10 PM) *
Did those who created the atom Bomb really think through the concequences of their actions.???

I imagine they did, how could you just ignore them? But they were probably afraid that bombs would be used against them and felt they needed to build it. It was probably a difficult decision to make.

If you want to do something others may consider "bad" have you really considered why they may think that and that there is solid basis for their opinion?

No. There are people who think reading harry potter is bad, why should I waste time trying to understand their beliefs?
Secretkeeper
QUOTE (crazymat @ Mar 11 2007, 04:00 PM) *
I don't feel bad, just confused.

Are you are saying people should be more responsible in these situations rather than regarding things as someone else's problem?

What do your examples have in common with each other?

QUOTE (Secretkeeper @ Mar 10 2007, 09:10 PM) *

I imagine they did, how could you just ignore them? But they were probably afraid that bombs would be used against them and felt they needed to build it. It was probably a difficult decision to make.

No. There are people who think reading harry potter is bad, why should I waste time trying to understand their beliefs?

I am a Christian I have read and enjoyed Harry Potter and I'm very aware of some of the stigma "groups and individuals" attach to the books. You asked why should you wast time trying to understand their beliefs? Many reasons; Know your enemy, you want understanding you must give it, an informed opinion is an armed opinon, knowledge is power, you can usually prove their ignorance or learn something.

Regarding the Atom bomb you are correct. I know from history that there was considerable debate and consideration regarding the Atom bomb. You are correct some like Einstein were supporters in the beginning changed positions later.

What do my examples have in common with each other... They each consist of people deciding to take or not take action that has consequenses for others even if they don't believe it to be so...

Thanks for the questions, Your a great help in my "getting it together".
pgrmdave
I think your examples are flawed, then. I doubt that those who decided to drop the atomic bomb didn't think it would have consequences.
PsychWardMike
I think your pretentious, psuedo-intellectual and mock-mysterious ramblings are a waste of my time and I'd like the three minutes of my life I spent trying to analyze it back.

You're not as deep as you think you are, champ.
Secretkeeper
QUOTE (pgrmdave @ Mar 11 2007, 05:00 PM) *
I think your examples are flawed, then. I doubt that those who decided to drop the atomic bomb didn't think it would have consequences.

I'm sorry I don't know what you missed... because I stated that...
Regarding the Atom bomb you are correct. I know from history that there was considerable debate and consideration regarding the Atom bomb. You are correct some like Einstein were supporters in the beginning changed positions later

QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Mar 12 2007, 02:03 AM) *
I think your pretentious, psuedo-intellectual and mock-mysterious ramblings are a waste of my time and I'd like the three minutes of my life I spent trying to analyze it back.

You're not as deep as you think you are, champ.

I was not trying to be intelectual... and you certainly don't know me well enough to judge my intentions. I wanted others interpretations on a broad subject.

deep... no I'm not deep ... I am trying to dredge out the channel which is more than I can say for someone who considers others attempts at growth a waste of their time... even if it is only three minutes.
Matthew
Okay... Not trying to tick you off secretkeeper, but I too am confused.

Are you asking board members how they interpret action/reaction?
If they look at an idea or action, and then base their own reaction on respect/fear of others opinions?
Or do you want to know if people generally charge ahead and to hell with the consequences?

Are we talking about broader ideas such as the idea of 'social contract'?

Or am I getting the wrong end of the stick?
Secretkeeper
QUOTE (Matthew @ Mar 12 2007, 11:53 AM) *
Okay... Not trying to tick you off secretkeeper, but I too am confused.

If they look at an idea or action, and then base their own reaction on respect/fear of others opinions?
Or do you want to know if people generally charge ahead and to hell with the consequences?

Are we talking about broader ideas such as the idea of 'social contract'?

Or am I getting the wrong end of the stick?

As you can tell I'm having difficulty verbalizing the concept that is spinning in my head... I think you put it MUCH better...
Yes and do they fully consider what the reaction may be...
Daria
So you are asking whether, when people make a decision, do they really think of the consequences or do they rush on blindly head-first?

If you are, I am not sure of two things.
One- why the hell you are asking that question as it seems pointless to ask as the answer will invariably be "it depends".
Two- What events are you talking about? When I went to the fridge this morning, did I think about where the cows might end up who produced the milk and am I then to blame for global warming as cows fart a lot? Or was it all the fault of the British pulling out of the Middle East when we were meant to be looking after it, that created terrorism?

With regards to the A-Bomb and Robert Oppenheimer, he at the time was said to have quoted (in his head) a verse from the Hindu holy book, the Bhagavad Gita: "Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."

Apparently (according to his brother) he only said "It worked!"
Secretkeeper
QUOTE (Daria @ Mar 12 2007, 12:38 PM) *
So you are asking whether, when people make a decision, do they really think of the consequences or do they rush on blindly head-first?

If you are, I am not sure of two things.
One- why the hell you are asking that question as it seems pointless to ask as the answer will invariably be "it depends".
Two- What events are you talking about? When I went to the fridge this morning, did I think about where the cows might end up who produced the milk and am I then to blame for global warming as cows fart a lot? Or was it all the fault of the British pulling out of the Middle East when we were meant to be looking after it, that created terrorism?

With regards to the A-Bomb and Robert Oppenheimer, he at the time was said to have quoted (in his head) a verse from the Hindu holy book, the Bhagavad Gita: "Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."

Apparently (according to his brother) he only said "It worked!"

Why... a concensis of opinion... on what makes a person consider consequenses and when... sorry to all participants on the vaguenes of the verbalization of my topic ... but it is what it is...
Daria
Please stop using ellipses. They get exceedingly annoying after one post. They also devoid your post of any conceivable meaning.
Forever Unknown
Obviously ellipses negate the need for any other grammar. If only I knew sooner! Sorry I mean ...
Secretkeeper
QUOTE (Daria @ Mar 12 2007, 04:08 PM) *
Please stop using ellipses. They get exceedingly annoying after one post. They also devoid your post of any conceivable meaning.

I apologize if my use of ellipses annoys you so badly it outweighs your ability to extrapolate the meaning of my postings but then I am not very good at verbalizing and have admitted it. Sorry.
Izzy
So, if this is a discussion of cause and effect (which is what I got from it), IT DEPENDS.

Are you going to think about what happens to you before jumping out of your friend's second story window? Totally.

Are you gonna think about what happens to you if you jump out of a boat that's on fire and about to sink into the ocean? Probably not.

It depends on the person and the situation.

That being said, I didn't get half the stuff written above.
Stardust_Smile
Couldn't agree more with you Izzy. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.