Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Guilty Pleasures!
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2
all_da_haywire_n_havok
So, as you probably got from the title, this is for postings where you bare your soul and tell us...what is your guilty pleasure?!?

We all have them! Those secret little things we watch, listen to, secretly love, whatever! This is fun, so don't worry. So, what can you not get enough of, even if you wish you didn't? LOL...

P.S. My guilty pleasure...the New Kids on the Block, and reruns of Beverly Hills, 90210! LOL! laugh.gif
(And don't even get me started on Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch!...)
Daria
My guilty pleasures are cheesy 80's teen flicks, Maddona (from the same era, NO LATER) and shaving my legs.

The latter not so guilty, but I really do enjoy the smooth feeling afterwards.
all_da_haywire_n_havok
'80s flicks eh...

A couple months ago, you would not believe how much I watched the Breakfast Club!!! laugh.gif LOL!
Mata
Taking long baths. I love soaking in a bath for as long as possible. This is made easier now I've moved to a flat where the toilet isn't in the same room as the bath, so Sues doesn't tell me to get out just when I'm getting a good soak going biggrin.gif I feel guilty about this because it uses so much water compared to a shower, but I really appreciate the water in a way that I don't so much when I'm showering. Baths are a luxury, showers are for clensing.
Daria
A bath isn't a proper bath without something to eat, drink, and ending up being pruney at the end.

How I miss my Saturday mornings of waking up at ten and being in the bath until about 1.

Le sigh.
monkey_called_narth
bubble baths
smoking
mudding
trunks_girl26
Drinking chai at 6am while watching the sunrise, and having it be a weekend so that you don't have to be anywhere or do anything.
Righteous
I listen to Jewel...Shut up.

I also like to hardcore dance. My friends make fun of me for it, but it's fun going to hardcore and metalcore shows and two-stepping and breaking down.

I don't know if you'd call this a guilty pleasure, but I have to hide from my brother the fact that I listen to Dragonforce. He hates Dragonforce and won't hesitate to bitch and complain about how he doesn't want to hear it.
Daria
Another guilty pleasure of mine is watching people. And following them if needs be. Not in a perverse way, I am just curious.
Izzy
I love to go to the playground and swing. It just feels nice to go back and forth with all the wind getting in your face and going through your hair. I usually daydream a lot when I swing, so I'll just be there for a good (at least) 2 hours. Absolutely hate the whole 'Get up! You've been there forever!' thing. dry.gif
Mata
Daydreaming is what baths are for. I swear that my creativity has been massively stunted by having to get out of the bath before even the first couple of hours have passed.

I'm not sure if it counts, but drinking tea at work seems like a luxury. Maybe it's because I worked by myself for so long; I was always too busy to get up and make myself tea, but if someone else offers then I get tea... For free!
Daria
I have found that I quite perversely enjoy the grinding sound that you get if you roll your elbow over a hard surface. MmMm.. grindey.
Mata
That sounds like it's straying towards either a fetish, or surrealist performance art. I can't decide which.

A new one: Chupa Chups lollipops. They're great! About every eight months I buy 50 of them and so they're there whenever I want them biggrin.gif
Faerieryn
My guilty pleasures are of the tacky kind. I love watching daytime made for TV movies starring people like Catherine Janeway in a Catherine Cookson adaptation etc. I love the cheese!!!
Daria
QUOTE (Mata @ Apr 13 2007, 01:56 PM) *
That sounds like it's straying towards either a fetish, or surrealist performance art. I can't decide which.

It just means that I enjoy grinding my elbows on the side of the desk after a hard day's work...

Heh, you're right. biggrin.gif
oobunnie
hmm I having a hard time deciding if mine are guilty pleasures or simply things I dont admit to other people... Either way here goes.

Taking a hot shower before I head to sleep (utterly pointless because I always end up showering in morning). Something I save for a really stressful day though because its such a waste of water just for that nice muscle relaxed sleep.

Those muffin mix things that you only have to add water to. I love fresh baked muffins, and only having to make 4 or 6 at a time is genius.

Watching a hockey or soccer (umm football?) game. This is the one I just dont admit to other people. They have a hard enough time accepting that I went to space camp without dealing with the fact that I turn out to not only be a geeky girl. But a geeky girl that likes to watch sports. I'm still working out just how the rules of soccer work though, its seems more pretending to be hurt to get a ball tossed in by your side. Cant see the total point of it, but it rates entertaining enough for me to get into.

Oh and I almost forgot the perfect calf hugging high black boot discovery. So hard to find but they make me so happy laugh.gif
bryden42
The goth 2 step
oobunnie
whats the goth two step? huh.gif
SPEAKERfortheLOST
QUOTE (Righteous @ Mar 29 2007, 07:23 PM) *
I don't know if you'd call this a guilty pleasure, but I have to hide from my brother the fact that I listen to Dragonforce. He hates Dragonforce and won't hesitate to bitch and complain about how he doesn't want to hear it.

I suddenly and utterly have to admit...

I do that too...

but not the hiding part (no brother to hide it from)...

That and Symphony X...
Izzy
Taking long walks to no where when it's not blazing hot. Especially when it's nice and windy, and the sun is hidden by a few clouds. That's like the perfect day for me right there. Throw in a guitar and a good spot to sit and I'll be outside until night forces me to come in.
SPEAKERfortheLOST
QUOTE (Izzy @ Apr 20 2007, 09:42 AM) *
Taking long walks to no where when it's not blazing hot. Especially when it's nice and windy, and the sun is hidden by a few clouds. That's like the perfect day for me right there. Throw in a guitar and a good spot to sit and I'll be outside until night forces me to come in.

I prefer the night over day...

but the principle is the same...
Kitty
I spent $3.50 on a scoop of ice cream.

TWICE

I'm horribly addicted to Baileys Irish Cream ice cream by Hagen Daz (non alcoholic) And I had to go search out which grocery stores carry pints of them (incidentally I bought a whole PINT (which is atleast 5 scoops) for $3.00 )
Izzy
QUOTE (SPEAKERfortheLOST @ Apr 20 2007, 09:07 AM) *
I prefer the night over day...

Well, yeah. But you're older than I am and probably don't have an overprotective mom that wants you inside around 7.
SPEAKERfortheLOST
oh i still have that mother...

I just have learned to ignore her...
bryden42
QUOTE (oobunnie @ Apr 17 2007, 10:38 PM) *
whats the goth two step? huh.gif

The goth 2 step is a dance manouver, formulated specifically for those who find themselves mobility impaired (from hoble skirts, stupid heels or platforms or alcohol) it involves shuffling forward 2 steps then shuffling backwards 2 steps, in the case of the goth 2 step it involves looking at the (limited) lighting in a meaningful manner and waving your arms in an equaly meaningful manner, alll in time to either the music or the voices in your head, whichever is louder smile.gif

It truly is a sight to behold when done correctly and en masse
Witless
QUOTE (bryden42 @ Apr 21 2007, 10:31 AM) *
The goth 2 step is a dance manouver, formulated specifically for those who find themselves mobility impaired (from hoble skirts, stupid heels or platforms or alcohol) it involves shuffling forward 2 steps then shuffling backwards 2 steps, in the case of the goth 2 step it involves looking at the (limited) lighting in a meaningful manner and waving your arms in an equaly meaningful manner, alll in time to either the music or the voices in your head, whichever is louder smile.gif

It truly is a sight to behold when done correctly and en masse

Haha, I am all too familiar with witnessing that dance. I wasn't however aware that it had a name.

Cheers for that new nugget of knowledge!
elphaba2
^ same here. I watched a very cheerful drag queen do that all last night. Gorgeous legs but a terrible dancer.

For me, the guilty-pleasure dance is a sort of hippy-pogo-mosh-salsa electron dance. Lots of wiggling arms and overall looking as though I'm out of my mind on some substance (embarassingly, this is not usually the case). I do it in my kitchen when washing pots! To the Decemberists!

Have I mentioned that I'm not very cool?
Mata
The Goth Two-Step, when performed en masse becomes known as 'The Goth Hokey Cokey'. smile.gif
Daria
I seem to have lots of guilty pleasures...
Another of mine is shredding things, and setting things on fire.
saucy_tara
My guilty pleasure?? Kylie biggrin.gif
Pikasyuu
Oooh, i love this thread already.

- taking long swims at five thirty in the morning, nevermind that i've got work in three hours and haven't slept.
- watching bridget jones' diary while bawling shamelessly, rooting her on, and painting my toenails at the same time. with some kind of extraordinarily fattening food.
- secret obsessions for extremely intelligent, philisophical people that make life look like a cakewalk and manage to coral others like a herd of cattle due to their natural leadership capabilities.
- reading augustin burroughs in the bath and feeling bad, sordid sympathy for neil bookman.
- VH1.

;)
sirdudly
Making ice cream sundaes in my mouth. The ensuing brainfreeze is totally worth it.
Pixelgoth
Watching 80's movies is also a fav of mine but it's the era I remember most vividly. I have a thing for Andrew McCarthy also.

Buying too many shoes/necklaces/accessories that I don't need. Is that a guilty pleasure? It makes me feel both at the same time so I guess so.

Smoking, ditto, a guilty pleasure of mine.

I'm also quite fond of singing loudly to Shania Twain in my car......am I bad?
voices_in_my_head
I second the buying shoes and accesories thing...If I had enough money, I think I'd buy out the mall.

Reading teen magazines like Seventeen and Cosmogirl.

Watching America's Next Top Model. It's the only reality TV show that I can stand. Why? I have no idea.

Also, dressing up really nicely (not like high-heels and formal dresses or anything) and then going somewhere unspectacular or no where at all. Looking good = feeling good, I guess.
PsychWardMike
Chinese food and pot. The two usually aren't mutually exclusive.
Snugglebum the Destroyer

That's not a guily pleasure! I berate people if they dislike Dragonforce! Battle Metal is my new fixation!

*is aware that she is not a style icon*

*owns Billy Joel, good enough?*
vicrawr
I like Dragonforce! It's nearly the only metal I can say I listen to. It's like...perky metal. I can't help but rock out when I hear it.
Wyvern
Oh so many to choose from

Topping up the bath water so that it stays lovely and snug for hours, nothing beats a long hot, bubbly soak equipped with notepad/skketchbook or sci fi/fantasy novel of choice. A long drink and selection of munchables usually adventure rations cheese, dried meats, olives, bread and a bar of luxury chocolate broken into small pieces so I can go wherever the story leads. Some of my best ideas have hit me whilst languishing in this way...not that they're always legible until I've dried the sketchpad after. tongue.gif

Beachcombing on a warm, windy day rummaging for interesting bits of stuff, getting covered in sea spray and walking for miles with no other responsibilities intruding, also the same but around dawn and twilight when no one else is about its like your alone in the world.

Ice cream! One of those big chocolate coated sugar cones with 3 or 4 scoops of homemade ice cream, each one a different flavour. You know the ones where eating it without knocking the top scoop off is a feat in itself, then trying to sculpt it into really tight little spirals without getting it all over my nose!

Dropping ice cubes down the backs of unsuspecting friends.

Feeding people, I adore cooking for my friends, feeding them up even if they don't need it...had a couple of friends over last night for a three course meal and I can't wait to do it aain there are so many recipes I need willing guinea pigs for!

Cake mix...when I'm baking I can't resist licking the bowl out after.
voices_in_my_head
Hmm cooking is one of mine too. There's nothing better than making a cake or cupcakes and having them praised over and over again by your friends and family. It's like the ultimate ego booster.

Also, new clothes. Instead of buyer's guilt I get really happy when I get new clothes or assecories. Maybe it's because I don't get to do it often, but I love it when I can go into a store and actually have enough money to get what I really want.

Sun bathing, but not for the usual reason of getting a tan - the sun just feels good, it makes me happy. That goes along with taking really long walks around town, usually with my friends but it's pretty good even if I'm on my own.

Berries and Cream Dr.Pepper and milk chocolate together, peanut butter and banana sandwiches, and fried oreos.... and rejoicing in the fact that I can eat them with little to no side-effects. (I plan on enjoying my skinny as a rail self while I can)
Daria
Putting my finger in other peoples' belly buttons.
Calantyr
Far too many to count!

Goth two-step. Man, I have to learn how to dance one of these days... Witless will clue you in on the horror that is me strutting my stuff. wink.gif

Olives! I'm hooked on the little buggers now. Especially the Pimiento stuffed ones. It's taken the place of chocolate as my snack food. Now that must be a sin.

Daydreaming. It's a bad habit, I can drift off for hours at a time. I love doing it, but it nearly caused me to fail my GCSE exams years back. Half way through my French exam I realised I'd been day-dreaming about Xena of all things.

COOKING! I love experimenting in the kitchen. Half my meals by be inedible, but the other half are divine! Sucks be the person who has to clean up the aftermath!

Having softer hair than every girl I meet. More of a vanity thing then anything. I pity your haircare products!
-TheKasbah-
I like to destroy things. Mostly by fire or cutting them up with stanly knives(emo blades)

The only thing is that I always seem to cut my fingers and stuff by accident, I cut myself 6 times this week alone, 5 on the same finger and once on the thumb. When you cut yourself with an emo blade it bleeds for hours. Infact once I cut so deep you could see half way up my finger and it didn't stop bleeding for 3 days. dry.gif
dreamsx
i say get rid of them stanley knives.
they do no good, not even cutting paper let alone yourself.

reading through diaries from long ago, ripping up pages full of shit that i don't like being reminded off.
i always end up throwing sorta meaningful stuff in the bin because at the same time i hate it with a passion.
-TheKasbah-
Is this diary kept in the box that my artwork is then?

Kasbah.
Daria
QUOTE (-TheKasbah- @ Sep 16 2007, 08:09 PM) *
I like to destroy things. Mostly by fire or cutting them up with stanly knives(emo blades)

The only thing is that I always seem to cut my fingers and stuff by accident, I cut myself 6 times this week alone, 5 on the same finger and once on the thumb. When you cut yourself with an emo blade it bleeds for hours. Infact once I cut so deep you could see half way up my finger and it didn't stop bleeding for 3 days. dry.gif

Two things. Firstly, Emos use butter knives and everyone knows that.
Secondly, if you manage to cut yourself with a Stanley, then you are obviously not doing it right. A marmoset would be able to cut something up and still have all blood and skin intact.
Rubix
Dressing up emo- I'm not even nearly emo, but I like the way it looks

Singing along to old backstreet boys songs

Pretending to be writing essays, while actually doing... just about anything else
-TheKasbah-
In reply to Daria, I don't actually have the little thing to put them in, so therefore I have to leave them in my pocket, then I forget they are there and put my hand in my pocket and stab myself. =[

I know, not the smartest person in the world.

Kasabh.
Izzy
Tricking my mom into buying me stuff.
Annoying my neighbors.
Putting my amp on 3 (trust me, loud enough) at random times during the night (waking up to go to the bathroom, etc.) and playing two or three notes, and pretending to be asleep. I love the 'Oh my god, wake up, I heard something!' It's like, mom, go away, you're paranoid.
Jim
i like being realy muddy for some reason lol

Any time im playing football in someones garden when its raining, i make sure i get as muddy as possible and i have no idea why smile.gif I feel cleansed when im dirty.

P.S. I do shower/bath regularly, the dirtyness is one of those things i do a few times a year
-TheKasbah-
Jim likes getting all dirty, as do I. tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.