Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Well this is a bit harsh, but does any of it have a point?
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > The Issues Forum
Witless
I am nicking this fairly long quote from a friends blog, I don't agree with the overall theme of the quote, but there are certain points that gave me pause for thought.

Anyways here it is:

BLACK PEOPLE, PLEASE READ AND HEED.

For those of you who heard it, this is the article Dee Lee was
reading this morning on a New York radio station. For those of you
who didn't hear it, this is very deep. This is a heavy piece and a Caucasian
wrote it.

THEY ARE STILL OUR SLAVES we can continue to reap profits from the
Blacks without the effort of physical slavery. Look at the current
methods of containment that they use on themselves: IGNORANCE,
GREED, and SELFISHNESS.
Their IGNORANCE is the primary weapon of containment. A great man
once said, "The best way to hide something from Black people is to
put it in a book."
We now live in the Information Age. They have gained the
opportunity to read any book on any subject through the efforts of
their fight for freedom, yet they refuse to read. There are
numerous books readily available at Borders, Barnes & Noble, and
Amazon.com
, not to mention their own Black Bookstores that
provide solid blueprints to reach economic equality (which should
have been their fight all along), but few read consistently, if at
all.
GREED is another powerful weapon of containment. Blacks, since the
abolition of slavery, have had large amounts of money at their
disposal.
Last year they spent 10 billion dollars during Christmas, out of
their 450 billion dollars in total yearly income ( 2.22%).Any of us
can use them as our target market, for any business venture we
care to dream up, no matter how outlandish, they will buy into it.
Being primarily a consumer people, they function totally by
greed.
They continually want more, with little thought for saving or investing.
They would rather buy some new sneaker than invest in starting a
business. Some even neglect their children to have the latest Tommy
or FUBU, and they still think that having a Mercedes, and a big
house gives them "Status" or that they have achieved their Dream.
They are fools!
The vast majority of their people are still in poverty because their greed holds them back from collectively making better
communities.
With the help of BET, and the rest of their black media that often
broadcasts destructive images into their own homes, we will
continue to see huge profits like those of Tommy and Nike. (Tommy
Hilfiger has even jeered
them, saying he doesn't want their money, and look at how the fools spend more
with him than ever before!). They'll continue to show off to each
other while we build solid communities with the profits
from our businesses that we market to them.
SELFISHNESS, ingrained in their minds through slavery, is one of
the major ways we can continue to contain them. One of their own,
Dubois said that there was an innate division in their culture. A
"Talented Tenth" he called it. He was correct in his deduction that
there are segments of their culture
that has achieved some "form" of success.
However, that segment missed the fullness of his work. They didn't
read that the "Talented Tenth" was then responsible to aid The

Non-Talented Ninety Percent in achieving a better life. Instead,
that segment has created another class, a Buppie class that looks
down on their people or aids them in
a condescending manner. They will never achieve what we have. Their
selfishness does not allow them to be able to work together on any
project or endeavor of substance. When they do get together, their
selfishness lets their egos get in the way of their goal their
so-called help organizations seem
to only want to promote their name without making any real change
in their community.
They are content to sit in conferences and conventions in our
hotels,and talk about what they will do, while they award plaques
to the
best speakers, not to the best doers. Is there no end to
their selfishness?
They steadfastly refuse to see that TOGETHER EACH ACHIEVES MORE
(TEAM)
They do not understand that they are no better than each other
because of what they own, as a matter of fact, most of those
Buppies are but one or two pay checks away from poverty. All of
which is under the control of our pens in our offices and our
rooms. Yes, we will continue to contain them as
long as they refuse to read, continue to buy anything they want,
and keep thinking they are "helping" their communities by paying
dues to organizations which do little other than hold lavish
conventions in our hotels. By the way, don't worry about any of
them reading
this letter, remember, 'THEY
DON'T READ!!!!

Anyways the writer of the main body was obviously racist and the like blah blah blah.
Also obviously there are untold numbers of generalisations made too (lookit me I am reading!).

But, that doesn't mean that he's said nothing that I cannot recognise, so what do you guys think?
Forever Unknown
I do think it's mostly utter bull, actually. A lot of that could apply to any race - Christ, just look at the teenagers we've got running around at the moment - I feel we can recognise it, not necessarily as a trait in black people, but in a trait of the little bastards we've got running around with ASBOs, drinking cider outside KFC.

Labelling it all as a by-product of black slavery is just him trying to hide behind an excuse to be a giant racist.
Radaga
yes, itīs a synthom of society, not of a particular ethiny.

By the way, ignorance is cumulative, if your parents dont read, your granparents didīt even knew how to read, and your grand grand parents were slaves and couldnt even try to learn how to read, you will not be inclined to read yourself, because of your very upbringing (save exceptions - counscious analphabet fathers wishing better for their children, for example)

So, if negro people dont read, itīs because the privilege have been denied by those with the power, long ago.

As for the spending, that only proves they are subject to media as anyone else. Score to equality,

I dont know what I hate most. Irrational racists, or the "scientific" ones, with their bs analisys. :/ (I am white, all family white, mother a veiled racist, live on brazil, with 60% population being colored)

By the way, "negro" here (Brazil) is the right way to refer to black people, please dont be offended. It is common to see people with t-shirts depiciing: "100% Negro" on them, itīs even a proud issue. Depreciative would be calling them "Black"
Forever Unknown
Heh. Scientific racists. In little lab coats and KKK hoods, with little test tubes using bunsen burners to burn crosses.

I am being silly...

Anyway! Yeah, the scientific ones are probably the worst, 'cause it just seems to be saying "O HAI! I'm using logic to justify my racism!" which is just rubbish, because it's completely beyond logic.
Daria
I can't believe that there are still people in the world who believe things like that, and believe them to the extent that they would broadcast their views.
pgrmdave
This article describes a culture, not a race. While currently that culture has more blacks than whites (I think, but I'm not certain of this) I think that is because culture is passed down through parents, and this goes back just a few generations to overt legal racism that kept blacks from acheiving equality. The problems described, if proven to be true, would succeed in preventing equality, and the popular culture, I think, would show them to be true. I am not saying that all blacks are this way, but that there is a certain sub-culture that is this way, and it tends to occur due to poverty and poor education. Since blacks are more likely to be poor and poorly educated, they are more likely to fall into this trap.

Assuming it is true, what could be done about it? Part of the problem, as I see it, would be that the simplest way to break the cycle would be to educate, however the culture does not seem to take pride in formal education, so it is difficult to break that cycle.
Mata
There's always the possibility, if you're feeling very generous, that it's reverse psychology: by saying 'black people won't read this' the author can pretty much be assured that his article will be posted all over the web. By criticising values which are completely endemic in modern culture (not just the culture of 'black people' - as if people with a united skin colour are sufficiently homogenous to be labelled as having one set of traits) he could be inciting people to argue against the stereotypes and to defy the accusations.

Or it could be a load of racist twaddle.

I think the proposed link to slavery can be easily disproved by looking at families who have no history of slavery in them and seeing if the same cultural problems are evident. I doubt that the average white family in the UK has slave history, but we have the same cultural problems described in the article. I suspect that the author would propose that this is due to the spread of black culture in the media, but that's a tenuous argument at best and paranoid at worst.
pgrmdave
I think there is a link to slavery, at least in the US. While it is not a direct link, a substantial portion of the black population descends from people who were on the lowest rung economically. This does not necessarily mean that the families which did are going to fare worse, but it creates cultural problems. People like to help people who are like them (in general). This can mean family, countrymen, gender, race, religion. People are simply more likely to help those with whom they can identify both. Because there were substantially more white people with power 150 years ago, they tended to help people like them, and the trend continues. It's not unlike what Dubois said with the talented tenth. The black's talented tenth had to work hard, and then help "pull up" those behind them. The white's talent already had the ability to help pull people up, and so it was easier for whites to keep power than for blacks to gain it.
gothictheysay
By the way, ignorance is cumulative, if your parents dont read, your granparents didīt even knew how to read, and your grand grand parents were slaves and couldnt even try to learn how to read, you will not be inclined to read yourself, because of your very upbringing (save exceptions - counscious analphabet fathers wishing better for their children, for example)

But what about education? In times of slavery, you weren't supposed to teach a slave to read; nowadays compulsory education teaches most people to read at the very least.
Mata
Ignorance, greed, and selfishness are pretty much everywhere in society. In America the black population perhaps had a worse start than in other nations of the world because they were almost entirely slaves, and I do think that this has had a knock-on effect into the current economic situation, but the three things identified as being the 'cause' of this situation in the article are not linked to slavery. The author has taken two things that are undeniably true (slavery and the skewed poverty of black people in the US and some other areas of the world) that may be related, and used them to legitimise a racist polemic.
Witless
I think it wasn't the slavery as such that was the worst thing about how black people were treated. A lot of the worst slavery conditions were actually bestowed upon white people. Black people were made to work out in the sun. White slaves were sent down into dangerous mines and had a far high fatality rate. I think it was that for quite so long black people were just generally considered not just low in status, but actually inferior. Even Darwin himself believed white people evolved from the 'lesser' black people and was concerned at his own inability to explain why if you sent a white person to an island of black people to mix with the people's at no point would his superior genes eventually lead to later generations eventually all being white.

Poorly pure conditions weren't what the only thing holding black people back. It was the commonly held views of them being an 'inferior species' that accompanied them that did the damage. A lot of black people still grow up feeling fairly low self esteem today as a result. If anything would account for a disproportionate number of black crimes then that for me would be the main one. Growing up with no self esteem and then trying to get it with rather unhelpfully illegal methods later. I mean it does follow that the reason black rappers and black r&b singers always talk about endless material things and having to 'prove' themselves to the world is the sign of people trying to show everyone that they are 'worth' a lot.

By the way none of this is based on research or fact.. just based on growing up in a black family, and opinion.. and having spare time to ramble at university because I have nearly 2 hours to burn (1 left now) on my own until my next lesson.
hinsley
i think its a BS.

thats like saying all austrailians are criminals, which isnt true, just because alot decend from criminals that the british empire put there.
Righteous
My friend Viewer (short for Negro Elite Viewer) and I often have discussions about race in America. Though I do not consider myself a racist (though there are those who do), I will say this guy has a few points.

First off, I will say that the media has a negative effect on the younger black generation. It's called institutionalized racism, meaning that young black men are being conditioned to behave a certain way and have certain values because they are black. Ignorance is a truth, unfortunately, with many black folks, as is frivolous consumerism. It's not a biological thing; it's a socioeconomic thing. We learned about this in one of my education classes. People of lower socioeconomic classes often spend money in such a manner.

(BTW, I don't like the term "African-American because most aren't from Africa and no one says "African-Canadian" or "African-Brazillian"; I've met one African-American in my life and he was from South Africa)

Going back to said friend Viewer and our mutual friend Melvin, the three of us agree that there are black folks who perpetuate stereotypes as well as those who defy stereotypes; there's no doubt about this. I like to do impressions and I have three "black" ones: One is a black supremecist, one is an arguing black couple, and one is a wealthy, successful black lawyer. The three of us have encountered at least one of the three types (Melvin having encountered the most black supremecists out of all of us). Also, we joke about stereotypes because, unfortunately, many are based in fact. That's often how stereotypes come about. When I speak ebonics for fun, said friends will admit they grew up with or have family members who talk like that. We joke about "precious white women" because there really are black guys out there who prefer white women. The list goes on.

Slavery may be a link to the race as a whole because Viewer's family is Carribean in origin and he's been subject to all of this. However, my friend Lauren's family's also from the Carribbean, but she seems unaffected by stereotypes or institutionalized racism.

I could go on and on, but I think I made my point. Again, I don't consider myself a racist (though I've come off as such before), but neither do I fail to realize that this loon may have a point or two.
-The Duchess-
Call me crazy, but as terrible as slavery was i think the aftermath was the worse bit that did most damage. After it was 'abolished', that gave the black community hope, and then with wars like the civil war and the world wars they were more accepted than ever, because they were needed; but as soon as all that was over very few people wanted to know.

No one really wanted to educate black people, or employ them and pay a decent wage, they were still viewed as inferior and some people still feel that way today. I think a lot of people forgot that you can't just abolish something like that and be done with it. You have to change people's attitudes, which is near impossible.

I suppose to some extent the bit about consumerism is true - but not just of the black community. When you get removed from your home and culture you have to try and fit in to survive, and that wasn't made easy. Society is all about what people have, it's based on consumerism and material things and that's not due to one race, the whole world is like that and splashing the cash is how you fit in.

And the bit about working as a team... Black people can do it just as well as any other race, the problem is there isn't a good strong leader, every team needs a leader and role models. Most black role models are sports personalities and musicians - there's nothing wrong with that, but there aren't very many Black academics who reach the mainstream and can become role models. Whenever there is a strong black leader they get killed e.g. Martin Luther King, Steve Biko and Malcolm X

It's all nice and well to criticise a group of people for their behaviour saying that they're selfish, ignorant and greedy but if that's what you think and that's all you ever expect, that's all you're likely to get. The fact is alot of people think this about the black community and people are judged on race; a lot of the black community set out to dispell these myths, but a large percentage were discouraged; the sad truth is that it's easier to be accepted within a predominantly white society if you fit the stereotype.

if you're in an ethnic minority then you have to be more competent than everyone else to succeed - it was definitely true of past decades and to some extent is still true now. It's not fair and that's what discourages people. In the end all people want regardless of ethnicity is to be accepted and some will do whatever they have to even if it supports a negative stereotype.
Secretkeeper
Culture is a very local thing IMHO in the US...I worked for Marriott Hotels and depending on the local differences in the employed ethnic groups was enormous. Also in the Male female ratio. The head honcho at one Marriott was a definate chauvanist who said..."as long as I am in charge here there will never be a woman head of the front office or any job of that rank or higher... I heard this when I was working as his assistant. You could walk into a Marriott and never find a black person up front or the other way around. One of the places had well over 1000 employees only 2 of which were black...they were covered under the laws because they had many from foreign countires... ie... Latvia, Cambodia, Germany, Mexico, etc.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.