Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TV programmes of way back when
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
Pages: 1, 2
-The Duchess-
This topic has given my friends and i at least an hour of conversation... So we'll see how it pans out

*Realises this should be in Media, Beats self mercilessly with yesterdays newspaper*
SPEAKERfortheLOST
i dont know this very well might belong in both places...

in any case...

I spent it watching M*A*S*H

I feel strange already...
Daria
Quantum Leap, Mork And Mindy and most definitely my video of "family favourites" The Family Ness, Bertha, Pigeon Street, and Bagpuss.
Also Postman Pat, Garfield and Friends, Thunderbirds, Sesame Street, The Crystal Maze, Star Trek, Transformers, and as many Steve Martin films as you could shake a stick at.
-The Duchess-
QUOTE (Daria @ Jun 2 2007, 01:42 AM) *
Quantum Leap, Mork And Mindy and most definitely my video of "family favourites" The Family Ness, Bertha, Pigeon Street, and Bagpuss.
Also Postman Pat, Garfield and Friends, Thunderbirds, Sesame Street, The Crystal Maze, Star Trek, Transformers, and as many Steve Martin films as you could shake a stick at.

I used to love Crystal Maze and Star trek, they were amazing, especially crystal maze...
Calantyr
Crystal Maze, Moomins, Bagpuss, Around the Bend, Grange Hill, Ulysses 31, Pirates of Dark Water, Quantum Leap, Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet (oh man he ruled. Like a very lame terminator biggrin.gif), Star Trek, X-Men, Transformers, The Man from U.N.C.L.E, The Avengers, Ren and Stimpy, Spitting Image, and Red Dwarf are the ones that spring to mind. smile.gif

I need to get Captain Scarlet on DVD somewhere. Is it just me or did he fail about half the time? I remember one episode where he had to stop a nuclear power plant from blowing up. He couldn't, so got vaporised. Then came back. It must really suck, because his powers didn't stop the pain. He'd die the most painful deaths, then his bosses would throw him back out to die again. Poor bugger!

" They crash him, and his body may burn,
They smash him. But they know he'll return,
To live again."
Daria
CAPTAIN SCARLET, INDESTRUCTABLE.

Also, I now have "Have you ever, ever felt like this? When strange things are happening, and you're going round the twist?" song in my head.

Also, Noel's House Party and other such delights of mid-nineties weekend programming.
Industrial Kybosh
It was all about Knightmare - the program I'd actually run home for, making it one of the very few things to make me adjust my speed to above a saunter.

Sidestep left... left... pick up the apple... PUT IT IN YOUR KNAPSACK! KNAPSACK! FASTER! FASTER!

...aaaand, death.
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (Industrial Kybosh @ Jun 7 2007, 01:19 PM) *
It was all about Knightmare - the program I'd actually run home for, making it one of the very few things to make me adjust my speed to above a saunter.

Sidestep left... left... pick up the apple... PUT IT IN YOUR KNAPSACK! KNAPSACK! FASTER! FASTER!

...aaaand, death.

Ed auditioned to be on that but unfortunately they were picked as understudies and the main team were OK to go on. Booo sad.gif

I saw a Transformer's poster in my local cinema the other day and thought that was a blast from the past.

Also, does anyone remember The Children of Green Knowe?!? unsure.gif
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (Pixiegoth @ Jun 7 2007, 07:04 PM) *
QUOTE (Industrial Kybosh @ Jun 7 2007, 01:19 PM) *

...aaaand, death.

Ed auditioned to be on that but unfortunately they were picked as understudies and the main team were OK to go on. Booo sad.gif

I saw a Transformer's poster in my local cinema the other day and thought that was a blast from the past.

Also, does anyone remember The Children of Green Knowe?!? unsure.gif

Zorro was another of my childhood favourites and Black Beauty smile.gif Scooby Doo (without the annoying Scrappy), Grange Hill (back when it was based in Laarrnddon where it should be!), Blue Peter, The Clangers, Ulysses, Jason and the Argonauts, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, She-Ra, Moomins.

What was that programme called Moon something and it had a spooky lighthouse keeper ghost in it?!? unsure.gif
Daria
Wait wait wait- are you telling me that Grange Hill is now not based in Grange Hill- as in the Grange Hill on the Central line, in London? W T F ?
Industrial Kybosh
QUOTE (Pixiegoth @ Jun 8 2007, 12:28 AM) *
Grange Hill (back when it was based in Laarrnddon where it should be!)

Bets thing about Grange Hill was the original intro (and the music for it). It wasn't the same after they got rid of that comic-style opener. The series was the poorer for the loss of 'the presentation of the sausage'.

And i echo the disbelief that it has been shifted away from Laaaaaaaaahhndaaaaaahhhnn. Wasn't it originally pitched as EastEnders for kids? There were some crossovers, weren't there?
elphaba2
Sigh...this is going to be one of those British Only threads, isn't it? The minute I mention Power Rangers you'll all throw bricks and the queen at me.

(It was a lot of fun, though--back before it would have been a problem to make the black ranger a black dude and the yellow ranger an Asian girl named 'Trini'. Ah, subversive racial stereotypes of the mid-90's.)
Greeneyes
POWER RANGERS! ...but not those schmancy new ones. Only the originals.

...and Mr. Motivator >_>

Edit: *throws the Queen at elphaba anyway*
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (elphaba2 @ Jun 8 2007, 08:56 PM) *
Sigh...this is going to be one of those British Only threads, isn't it? The minute I mention Power Rangers you'll all throw bricks and the queen at me.

(It was a lot of fun, though--back before it would have been a problem to make the black ranger a black dude and the yellow ranger an Asian girl named 'Trini'. Ah, subversive racial stereotypes of the mid-90's.)

I don't hate Power Rangers because I'm British I hate them because they're awful laugh.gif

*refrains from throwing bricks*

Grange Hill is now based oop North either near Liverpool or Newcastle, can't remember which, darn Northerners *grumble* dry.gif

Bring it back and we want the sausage tongue.gif
elphaba2
Hey, that's my childhood you're stepping on!

Can I get an American ally up in here?
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (elphaba2 @ Jun 9 2007, 12:42 AM) *

Aw *hugs* I just don't like the programme. I'm sure you'd say the same about my taste in childhood programmes too biggrin.gif
Industrial Kybosh
Power Rangers was just a little after our time, wasn't it, Pixie? Children's progs are only good at two stages in your life - when you're a kid, and when you're a stoned student chuckling at Tellytubbies.

That said, I do have the Dungeons & Dragons box set, and I love it.

They never got home! Wah!
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (Industrial Kybosh @ Jun 9 2007, 10:12 AM) *
Power Rangers was just a little after our time, wasn't it, Pixie? Children's progs are only good at two stages in your life - when you're a kid, and when you're a stoned student chuckling at Tellytubbies.

They never got home! Wah!

Shhhh! *tries to hide laughter lines*

It was Saturday morning viewing at some point in my life. I was just pointing out I didn't enjoy it tongue.gif Sorry, elphaba wink.gif

What's happened to Saturday morning kids TV sad.gif Bring back Live & Kicking and MOM sad.gif It's all poncy cooking shows now. I don't wanna know how to cook sweet and sour pork on a Saturday morning, I wanna watch Scooby Doo with my hangover! dry.gif
Calantyr
Snarf, snarf!
Forever Unknown
How exciting is the Thundercats film? Very. That's how exciting. Like Transformers, even if just for the effects.

Everyone's talking about Quantum Leap like it's in the past, but Sam Beckett can live on in you, y'know. We have the boxsets and it's still as fantastic as it always was. Oh, Scott Bakula. How we love you.

Really? I was always worried I'd watch it and it'd p*ss all over my childhood love of it. Sometimes it happens.
Calantyr
The Dungeons and Dragons drinking game is fun.

Every time they do something monumentally stupid, have a drink! You'll be wasted within the hour!

Seriously, they could have gotten home in the very first episode, but they didn't want to leave poor Uni behind. Not like it'd be dissected for medical science if they brought it back to the real world, oh no...

*Ahem*

Thundercats Ho!
Industrial Kybosh
FU - it's not great, true enough, but you do begin to notice other levels. Such as just how sarcastic Uni is. And the wonderful fact that the whole of the exposition is summed up in just the opening sequence.

"Hey look! A Dungeons & Dragons ride!"

Twonk...
Phyllis
QUOTE (elphaba2 @ Jun 9 2007, 12:42 AM) *

Sorry, but I was a bit too old for the Power Rangers! I was forced to watch them when I babysat my cousins, though. They adored them and I'm sure they'd be on your side. tongue.gif

I liked He-Man, She-Ra, Pee Wee's Playhouse, The Muppet Show, Smurfs, Captain Kangaroo..and oh god. JEM. I was Jem for at least 3 Halloweens. And to think I almost left her off the list! Oh! And Punky Brewster. I went through a huge phase of wearing sideways ponytails, mismatched shoes/socks, and obnoxious sweaters because I wanted to be just like Punky.

Yeah. I grew up in the 80's. It doesn't show at all. rolleyes.gif
elphaba2
It's cool. I have my entire generation to back me up. And we're huge (can I hear it for the 89-90 miniboom, thank you crack cocaine).

It was a pretty good time, though. Power Rangers, the little Jack Russell terrier who dressed up in ridiculous outfits to play out historical literature, Captain Simian and the Space Monkeys, Transformers--when we were a little older there was Freaks and Geeks. Making massive generalizations, but I think we (15-19 or so) were the last group to watch TV before everyone got cable and some idiot invented whatever they're watching now.
Faerieryn
Ok deep breath everyone, I'm about to recite the list of programmes...

Thundercats
She Ra
He Man
M*A*S*K
Transformers
Bucky O' Hare
Moon Dial
Dark Season
Hangar 17
Bagpuss (Of course)
Pirates of DarkWater
Visionaries
Power Rangers
Knightmare
Activ8
The Lowdown
Byker Grove
Teenage Mutant HERO turtles
Mighty Max
Henry's Cat
Alphonso Bonzo
The Girl form Tomorrow/ Tomorrow's End
The Tomorrow People (90's version)
Count Duckula
Dangermouse
Round the Bend
Trapdoor
The Wombles
Fingermouse

To name but a few. I had a REALLY misspent youth!!!
Phyllis
QUOTE (Faerieryn @ Jun 12 2007, 09:37 PM) *
Teenage Mutant HERO turtles

That reminds me: Teenage Mutant NINJA Turtles. Obviously the superior name. tongue.gif I watched it all the time. I also watched the animated series of Super Mario Bros..I can't remember if it was just called Super Mario Bros, though, or if it was something else because they didn't only show Mario stuff. I do remember that there were two men dressed as Mario and Luigi who talked and such before the cartoons, and on Fridays they showed a Zelda cartoon.
voices_in_my_head
QUOTE (elphaba2 @ Jun 12 2007, 03:11 PM) *
the little Jack Russell terrier who dressed up in ridiculous outfits to play out historical literature,

Wishbone! Man, good times.

Blues clues and barney from when I was a little kid and Are you Afraid of the Dark?, All That, Keenen and Kel, Alex Mac, Pete and Pete and Clarissa Explains it All. I was also addicted to Sabrina the Teenage Witch and Recess. Oh, the days when it was WORTH waking up to catch cartoons.
Daria
I am officially adding Byker Grove (yes I remember when one of PJ and Duncan got blinded, and that girl with the jiggly scar on her neck), The Biz!, Wizadora, Greenclaws, finally the wonderful Stopit and Tidyup, narrated by none other than Terry 'Nil points' Wogan.
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (Daria @ Jun 13 2007, 09:39 AM) *
I am officially adding Byker Grove

*adopts Jordie accent* Spuggey and Jeff man!! biggrin.gif
Industrial Kybosh
Byker Grove (or, to give it its full name, Oooh Byker Byker Byker Byker Grooooove) was great, but only during the Spuggie days. Not that I particularly liked her character - it's just that her departure seemed to signal a jumping of the shark.

PJ getting shot in the face with a paintball was one of the finest moments in telly history. Top agony. And remember that weird cult?
-The Duchess-
QUOTE (Industrial Kybosh @ Jun 14 2007, 11:42 AM) *
Byker Grove (or, to give it its full name, Oooh Byker Byker Byker Byker Grooooove) was great, but only during the Spuggie days. Not that I particularly liked her character - it's just that her departure seemed to signal a jumping of the shark.

PJ getting shot in the face with a paintball was one of the finest moments in telly history. Top agony. And remember that weird cult?

Byker grove was genius, that paintball scene was epic, and i do remember the cult, that was weird... Anyone remember Jeff's funeral aka the brief return of PJ and Duncan?

Other shows i used to watch: Grange hill, Ivor the engine
Aquilla, X-men
the moomins, Teenage mutant ninja turtles
the snorks The magic roundabout
Crystal maze madeliene
Tin Tin The clangers
The flumps The Big Brekfast
The muppets Daria
and i have to mention the film Flash Gordon - that was great
Industrial Kybosh
QUOTE (-The Duchess- @ Jun 14 2007, 02:22 PM) *
the moomins

Proper Moomins, I hope. Not the bobbins cartoon, but the original stop motion series that terrified a generation.

Thank God someone brought back Doctor Who, otherwise there'd be nothing to scare impressionable minds the way Moomins scared me. Weird, weird stuff.
Calantyr
Thank God someone brought back Doctor Who, otherwise there'd be nothing to scare impressionable minds the way Moomins scared me. Weird, weird stuff.

Best episode of Moomins is where it is revealed that Moomin Papa keeps a bottle of whisky under his top hat, possesses a blunderbuss, and likes going out at night to hunt down witches.

Classic. biggrin.gif
Pixelgoth
Anyone remember Jeff's funeral aka the brief return of PJ and Duncan?

Didn't the guy that play him die in real life which made it even sadder sad.gif

QUOTE (Industrial Kybosh @ Jun 14 2007, 05:27 PM) *

the moomins

Proper Moomins, I hope. Not the bobbins cartoon, but the original stop motion series that terrified a generation.

Boobins, ha ha ha laugh.gif I love that phrase!

Not ANOTHER Dr Who geek rolleyes.gif *walks off to drool over David Tennant* ;)
Industrial Kybosh
That episode with the weeping angels that was on the other day scared the shiznit out of me. Top entertainment. And Tennant in right up there with the best Doctors, in my opinion. Tom Baker still rules, though.
Snugglebum the Destroyer
So many of my favourites have already been mentioned so I won't even get into them.

Classic kids television beats the crap out of the new fare being dished out. However, the classics still appeal to even modern kids. My 4 year old was subjected to the entire series of Ulysses and he LOVED it. He is officially the 'space man with magic sword'.

Also - Rent A Ghost anyone? Or am I really showing my age and Britishness?
Faerieryn
Oh My God I loved Ulysees!!!! That and many more. does anyone remember Oakie Doke?
Moosh
In no particular order, asterisks by the ones that I can still sing the theme tunes to:

Loony Tunes
Fresh Prince of Bel Air*
Scooby Doo
Tom and Jerry
Magic Roundabout*
Postman Pat*
Thunderbirds
Captain Scarlet (DUH duh duh duh-duh, In-dee-struct-able, DUH duh duh duh-duh)*
Noel's House Party
Blue Peter
Power Rangers
Live & Kicking
The Mask
Button Moon*
Count Duckula*
Dangermouse*
The Wombles*
Keenan and Kel

NOT Grange Hill or Byker Grove. They were terrible and I stand by that.

That's about it I think. Oh and Neighbours and Countdon. When I was at home during the day and my mum was watching day-time tv.
elphaba2
QUOTE (CheeseMoose @ Jun 19 2007, 04:50 PM) *
Noel's House Party

^That

reminded me of this and had me laughing for about ten minutes.

(perhaps I am disturbed?)
Forever Unknown
There's an Achewood for every occasion.
Industrial Kybosh
QUOTE (Snugglebum the Destroyer @ Jun 17 2007, 10:40 PM) *
Also - Rent A Ghost anyone? Or am I really showing my age and Britishness?

Oh aye. There's always room for Rent-A-Ghost. A children's classic, boy howdy.
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (Industrial Kybosh @ Jun 16 2007, 01:07 PM) *
That episode with the weeping angels that was on the other day scared the shiznit out of me. Top entertainment. And Tennant in right up there with the best Doctors, in my opinion. Tom Baker still rules, though.

rolleyes.gif Not another one tongue.gif

Yeah it was pretty creepy. Not the creepiest thing I've ever seen but then I watched the dodgy 70/80s stuff with Tom Baker in it and it made this session of Dr Who look like a version of Hostel or something ohmy.gif Bad sets, bad acting and bad companions....except K9....won't here anything bad said about K9..... dry.gif
Industrial Kybosh
Whilst I appreciate your argument, I must point out that Hostel was about as disturbing as Countdown (except the Richard Whiteley years, which could get pretty disturbing...). In fact, it knocked Honest off my personal Worst Film Ever pedestal. Can't believe they made a sequel...

Ontopic, regardless of acting skill, Baker (Tom) is still the image I see in my head when I think of Doctor Who.

And K9 rox0rs. No argument.
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (Industrial Kybosh @ Jun 21 2007, 10:23 AM) *
Whilst I appreciate your argument, I must point out that Hostel was about as disturbing as Countdown

Countdown is disturbing: the fact that Carol Vorderman appears to be getting younger disturbs me!! blink.gif
Daria
The Treacle People was on yesterday morning, and although Wytu and I both haven't seen it for years and years, we managed to sing the feem toon simultaneously, without saying anything to one another about it. It freaked out the American guy we were watching it with and we had to explain what an awesome programme it was.
Faerieryn
Puddle Lane!!!! So cool and I loved Toby the dragon!
-The Duchess-
QUOTE (Faerieryn @ Jun 19 2007, 08:44 PM) *
That and many more. does anyone remember Oakie Doke?

I do, I used to love it tongue.gif
Phyllis
I was just reminded of a show I hadn't thought about in at least 15 years. Under the Umbrella Tree!

My sister named her iguana after the lizard...I think the name was Iggy? I know that the gopher's name was Gloria. Was the bird called Jay? Does anyone else even remember that show? laugh.gif
Faerieryn
Must be some weird form of American TV I'm afraid Cand! No Umbrella Trees here!

Do any of you remember The Lowdown? Or Activ8?
Phyllis
Sad. sad.gif

Did you at least have Eureeka's Castle here?!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.