Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mata Meet July 28th 2007 - London confirmations
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Daria
I know it is more than a month away, but I'm all excited about it and the sooner it is organised, the better.

Offline I'm usually called
: Becky/ Beccles/ Daria
Number of people coming so far: 1
I'll be arriving: Saturday, 13:00 under the big clock in Waterloo station
I'll be leaving: I lives in London
I'm up for meeting during the afternoon: Hells yeah
Picnic?: Most definitely
I'm up for going to a pub in the evening: Yes
I'm up for going to a club in the evening: Yes
Staying the night?: Yes
Accommodation has been arranged?: Yes
Can offer accommodation to others?: Yes! Although all bed space has been taken up by Moop, Cand, Moosh, Snoo, Pixie, (and Samorine?), there is still floorspace. Although you may want to bring bedrolls/ sleeping bags as all duvets will be taken up.
Going to the Ben and Jerry's Ice-cream and Music day on the 29th?: Just you try and stop me biggrin.gif
Moosh
Offline I'm usually called: James/Moosh
Number of people coming so far: 2
I'll be arriving: Saturday morning, will be going to waterloo for 13:00 with Beccles
I'll be leaving: Sunday night/monday morning depending on trains
I'm up for meeting during the afternoon: yeah
Picnic?: yeah
I'm up for going to a pub in the evening: Yes, but I am still 17
I'm up for going to a club in the evening: Yes, but again, am 17, may have a problem getting in to places
Accommodation has been arranged?: Yes, staying at Beccles' Haus
Can offer accommodation to others?: Nopes
Going to the Ben and Jerry's Ice-cream and Music day on the 29th?: Yeps
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
Offline I'm usually called: Snoo/Esther
Number of people coming so far: 3
I'll be arriving: By 1pm at Waterloo
I'll be leaving: Probably Sunday evening
I'm up for meeting during the afternoon: Yup
Picnic?: Definately!
I'm up for going to a pub in the evening: Indeed
I'm up for going to a club in the evening: Not really
Accommodation has been arranged?: At Becky and Monty's!
Can offer accommodation to others?: Nopes
Going to the Ben and Jerry's Ice-cream and Music day on the 29th?: Ordered my ticket!
Calantyr
Offline I'm usually called: Dave.
Number of people coming so far: 4.
I'll be arriving: If it's 1 pm by Waterloo I can definitely make that.
I'll be leaving: NEVER!
I'm up for meeting during the afternoon: Indeed.
Picnic?: I shall bring cookie goodness!
I'm up for going to a pub in the evening: Try and stop me.
I'm up for going to a club in the evening: I'll bring me dancing shoes.
Staying the night?: Yes, around my place.
Accommodation has been arranged?: Yup!
Can offer accommodation to others?: Yeah, I can offer some floorspace to a couple. I have a couple of sleeping bags and blankets if needed.
Going to the Ben and Jerry's Ice-cream and Music day on the 29th?: Unsure... hopefully.
Pixelgoth
Offline I'm usually called: Sam/Pixie.
Number of people coming so far: 5
I'll be arriving: If it's 1 pm by Waterloo I can definitely make that - might be coming down night before but haven't decided yet.
I'll be leaving: Sunday afternoon
I'm up for meeting during the afternoon: Yep.
Picnic?: OK but don't expect me to cook/prepare as I'm crap in the kitchen/food dept!
I'm up for going to a pub in the evening: Definitely
I'm up for going to a club in the evening: Why the hell not!
Accommodation has been arranged?: Yes
Can offer accommodation to others?: Nope
Going to the Ben and Jerry's Ice-cream and Music day on the 29th?: No, need to drive/train back up North on Sunday
froggle-rock
Offline I'm usually called: Frogg/ Froggie
Number of people coming so far: 6
I'll be arriving: Not too sure, might catch you all up (I have a mobile phone this time, well hopefuly I'll still have it in a month) or might have to leave for a few hours during the meet.
I'll be leaving: on the the night bus home (or when the meet done finished)
Picnic?: Potatoe salad! Or, yes totally and with alcohol.
I'm up for going to a pub in the evening: For sure! A place that does do cyder other than Strongbow gets my vote
I'm up for going to a club in the evening: Oh won't you take me to funky town! *nods*
Staying the night?: Yeppers.
Accommodation has been arranged?: Yessums.
Can offer accommodation to others?: Nope
Going to the Ben and Jerry's Ice-cream and Music day on the 29th?: No, but will post otherwise should I swing tickets.

Although I can't offer sleeping space in London, I've got one of them military type fold out camping beds, a roll mat and a couple of sleeping bags for anyone who is camping out in London and doesn't want to lug around such things all day. -Just let me know and I'm sure I can drop it/ them off Chez Daria or House of Calantyr beforehand.
Witless

: Dave or Bigdave
Number of people coming so far: 7
I'll be arriving: Saturday, at 12:47 and 13.2 seconds at waterloo, just to different.
I'll be leaving: I am a Londoner. I will leave when I am good and ready and not a moment before.
I'm up for meeting during the afternoon: yup
Picnic?: Indeed
I'm up for going to a pub in the evening: Aye
I'm up for going to a club in the evening: yes'm
Staying the night?: yup yup
Accommodation has been arranged?: Making arrangements to travel to my own flat seems excessive.
Can offer accommodation to others?: 'fraid not.
Going to the Ben and Jerry's Ice-cream and Music day on the 29th?: nope
Phyllis

: I'm Cand, moop is Ste, Steve, or moop
Number of people coming so far: 9
I'll be arriving: Saturday, sometime before 13:00 at Waterloo.
I'll be leaving: Sunday afternoon
I'm up for meeting during the afternoon: Yep
Picnic?: Definitely
I'm up for going to a pub in the evening: Of course
I'm up for going to a club in the evening: Meh.
Staying the night?: Yep
Accommodation has been arranged?: Staying at Esteban and Umamicheek's.
Can offer accommodation to others?: Nope.
Going to the Ben and Jerry's Ice-cream and Music day on the 29th?: Sadly no. sad.gif
spiffilicious05
Offline I'm usually called: Trina
Number of people coming so far: 2 (me and hopefully my friend Tom)
I'll be arriving: Probably the 27th, if all goes well....
I'll be leaving: I should have a flatt in London until the 30th
I'm up for meeting during the afternoon: Yesm
Picnic?: Sounds like fun!
I'm up for going to a pub in the evening: As long as my friend is game (and money permits)
I'm up for going to a club in the evening: See answer above
Staying the night?: Yep
Accommodation has been arranged?: Still pending...
Can offer accommodation to others?: Possibly - but I don't want to promise anything until I am sure!
Going to the Ben and Jerry's Ice-cream and Music day on the 29th?: Not sure....

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Phyllis
psst, Spiffy...if you and your friend Tom are both coming, that'd put the total at 11 people, not 2. wink.gif
spiffilicious05
spam/
Oh right, sorry - I thought you meant total within each party...

That makes more sense now that I think about it....I blame my blondness for that one...
That or my recent switch to the night shift

/end spam
I_am_the_best
Offline I'm usually called: Emma and any variations.
Number of people coming so far: 12
I'll be arriving: either 12:46 or 13:02 depending on whether I run to the train station fast enough.
I'll be leaving: Saturday evening.
Picnic?: Yep.
I'm up for going to a pub in the evening: We'll see... I'm up for it, but am quite young.
I'm up for going to a club in the evening: Nah.
Staying the night?: Nope.
Accommodation has been arranged?: I'm going home.
Can offer accommodation to others?: Nah.
Going to the Ben and Jerry's Ice-cream and Music day on the 29th?: Hopef'ly. Still need to buy a ticket...
Snugglebum the Destroyer
I missed a whole thread about a London Meet?

*wonders if there is a conspiracy* smile.gif
Calantyr
QUOTE (Snugglebum the Destroyer @ Jun 17 2007, 10:45 PM) *
I missed a whole thread about a London Meet?

*wonders if there is a conspiracy* smile.gif

*Pokes* Come! Dave orders it!
Daria
rolleyes.gif Jeez, guys, get a room.

(lolpun! on so many levels tongue.gif )
Wytukaze
Offline I'm usually called: Mr. Ernst
Number of people coming so far: 13
I'll be arriving: I assume I'll be dragged out of the comfort of sleep for somewhere around one in Waterloo
I'll be leaving: As soon as I'm able! Ha! Ha! Seriously though, whenever. I am of London.
I'm up for meeting during the afternoon: WELL OBVS
Picnic?: I do so like to eat.
I'm up for going to a pub in the evening: Of course.
I'm up for going to a club in the evening: Well, I suppose. If I remember to bring ID.
Staying the night?: Indeed.
Accommodation has been arranged?: Assuming Becky doesn't assign my spot in the bed to someone, yes.
Can offer accommodation to others?: Becky's space is my space. MINE. So, arrange it with her, you grubby things. Just to make a point clear, we do demand MILK CHOC CHIP cookies in payment. We being me. I mean, honestly we do. Not in any way a joke. I will bar you entry if you do not have cookies. We have a basement full of sharp things.
Going to the Ben and Jerry's Ice-cream and Music day on the 29th?: Apparently I have a ticket, so it would be a waste if I didn't, wouldn't it?
spiffilicious05
So it looks as if I've run into a little speed bump! It appears that the flat that my aunt was supposed to have booked for me for that entire week is not going to be available. While that's not for certain yet, I'm now looking for another place to stay with my friend for the second half of the week (from the 27th until the 30th). Does anyone know of any relatively inexpensive hotels? unsure.gif
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (spiffilicious05 @ Jun 21 2007, 07:53 PM) *
So it looks as if I've run into a little speed bump! It appears that the flat that my aunt was supposed to have booked for me for that entire week is not going to be available. While that's not for certain yet, I'm now looking for another place to stay with my friend for the second half of the week (from the 27th until the 30th).

Typical rolleyes.gif I've booked my train ticket now and I won't be able to get a refund so I don't wanna hear no excuses madam tongue.gif

QUOTE (spiffilicious05 @ Jun 21 2007, 07:53 PM) *
Does anyone know of any relatively inexpensive hotels? unsure.gif

In London?!? laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Seriously though try www.smoothhound.com
Mata
Offline I'm usually called: Mata.
Number of people coming so far: 14
I'll be arriving: One PM -ish?
I'll be leaving: To get the last train, probably a bit before chucking out time on Saturday, unless clubbing happens (see below)
Picnic?: Yep.
I'm up for going to a pub in the evening: Hmm... Let me think...
I'm up for going to a club in the evening: Probably not, but possibly - depends if people want to come back to mine.
Staying the night?: Not in London.
Accommodation has been arranged?: Home sweet home.
Can offer accommodation to others?: Yes, but we have to be on a train around 11:30, I think.

I can offer a futon to the most deserving case, and a bit of floor space to a couple of others who need it, assuming we can all agree if we want to go to a club or not (transport becomes tricky after midnight).
Phyllis
Spiffy, if you aren't opposed to staying in youth hostels, try www.yha.org.uk
spiffilicious05
Typical rolleyes.gif I've booked my train ticket now and I won't be able to get a refund so I don't wanna hear no excuses madam tongue.gif

Oh don't you worry - I'll be there with bells on tongue.gif

...well...not literally...

And personally, I'm not against staying in a hostel, it was my original plan. My friend however is a different story but I'm sure I'll be able to convince him if we can't get the flat.

So I have yet another question (sorry!) -- how should I contact someone if I find myself completely lost? lol tongue.gif rolleyes.gif
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (spiffilicious05 @ Jun 23 2007, 04:21 AM) *

Oh don't you worry - I'll be there with bells on tongue.gif

...well...not literally...

And personally, I'm not against staying in a hostel, it was my original plan. My friend however is a different story but I'm sure I'll be able to convince him if we can't get the flat.

So I have yet another question (sorry!) -- how should I contact someone if I find myself completely lost? lol tongue.gif rolleyes.gif

You can take a selection of mobile numbers and then find a pay phone and ring us if you like. Probably best to take a number of someone who lives locally so they can direct you etc. smile.gif

*imagines bells on things* wink.gif
spiffilicious05
sounds good to me -- who shall I call?

laugh.gif
Faerieryn
Offline I'm usually called: Ryn and Matt
Number of people coming so far: 16
I'll be arriving: Don't know yet, probably the same time as every one else
I'll be leaving: Fairly late
I'm up for meeting during the afternoon: Yuppitty
Picnic?: Yuppitty
I'm up for going to a pub in the evening: Drink Drink Drink Drink Drink!!!
I'm up for going to a club in the evening: I don't think so, all depends on people coming back to ours or not and money
Accommodation has been arranged?: We have pretty little house with a squishy bed! but in Woking
Can offer accommodation to others?: We have a floor that will sleep about two plus two sofas, but we are in Woking so what Mata said about 11:30 applies to us also
Daria
QUOTE (spiffilicious05 @ Jun 24 2007, 05:52 PM) *
sounds good to me -- who shall I call?

laugh.gif

GHOST BUSTERS!
(alternatively, check your PM inbox smile.gif )
Cath Sparrow
I'm a looking into to it. Coach tickets are cheap enough, I have floor space with Ryn so somehow it might actually be comming together ohmy.gif
Daria
Yay! biggrin.gif
spiffilicious05
haha ghost busters... laugh.gif I used to love that movie...I still have a stuffed version of the marshmallow man who took over nyc
Faerieryn
Yay Cathykins!!!! Can't wait to see you!!!!!
Cath Sparrow
Damn I seem to have run out of excuses to escape you guy's so it looks as if I'm comming just need to buy my tickets.

Offline I'm usually called: Cath, Cath or Cath take your pick tongue.gif
Number of people coming so far: 17 I think :s
I'll be arriving: Tagging along with Mat and Ryn
I'll be leaving: see previous answer
I'm up for meeting during the afternoon: Yus
Picnic?: Yus
I'm up for going to a pub in the evening: Cath's would never consider frequenting pubs honest! tongue.gif
I'm up for going to a club in the evening: I'm sort of doubting it cash flow and all
Accommodation has been arranged?: I'm going to annoy Ryn and Mat
Can offer accommodation to others?: Not mine
Mata
17? Huzzah! If we all turn up then this will be the biggest meet we've had so far smile.gif
Daria
A probable eight of us will be staying at our house. Tee hee.
spiffilicious05
spam/ So I'm about to get on my flight for Africa and England!! I'll see all of you guys there!!

smile.gif

/spam
Mata
Happy travels! See you in a few weeks.
Cath Sparrow
I invited a couple of friends who I play WoW with who live in the london area. I thought it's be a good way to meet up with them. They're not completely definate as yet.
Faerieryn
I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone!!!!
froggle-rock
I invited a couple of friends who I don't play WoW with who live in the london area. I thought it's be a good way to meet up with them. They're not completely definate as yet.
Mata
I don't play WoW and I've invited myself. Does it count if I have split personalities, because they don't play WoW either (I think)?
froggle-rock
Mata, will your others be occupying pub seats? Coz if they are, then depending on how many Other Matas there are... Hrmm. Maybe you all could sit on each other's laps? Maybe also your other Matas could sit on each others shoulders on top of your shoulders. Maybe a combination of both. You could prolly get quite a few on your shoulders and laps, coz like they wont have bodies, just kinda parts of your brain, I'm guessing. But if you have gazillions then I'm totally willing to share the load. I think the people I've invited will be willing to too- as a small price to pay for being around so many Matas at once.

I reckon it will be okay that Matas don't play WoW because lots of other people who are coming along (although I can't vouch for their split personalities that I'm not familiar with) (as far as I know) arn't Wowers either. But there is a chance will so may split personalities (I'm guessing your not the only one, one as in body, not mind coz like WOAH) floating around that they could get influenced by the WoWers and you could find that after the meet you black out alot, spend no time with Real People, have 8.99 disappearing from your bank account every month and start seeing your actions, and the actions of those around you in the Real World in terms of D&D values. Could be interesting.

Should be fine, they'll mingle, we'll all mingle. And drink, drinking helps with the mingling. They do drink, right, Mata?
Daria
So, WoW aside, what will the meet be? We're looking for a picnic inna park type thing, ja? And we're all meeting at Waterloo, ja?

As Mhari said to me last night, I think St James's is closest to Waterloo. I would suggest Hyde Park if we need even more space but it will be taken up with Ben and Jerry's festival goodness. As for pub afterwards, we'd have to find somewhere that can accomodate all of us. At the moment, the only place I know of is a Hobgoblin in Brixton but I'm not too sure that everyone will want to trek down there for a pint.

If we felt like hopping on the tube, we could go to Regent's Park. People will be swinging through the air on a trapeze type thing from Primrose Hill.
Calantyr
I think we're still going for a picnic (if the rain and lightning stops for more than five minutes). I don't care which park is used as long as there's room to sprawl out. smile.gif

Marlborough Head and World's End are good for space if we get there early enough, music's not bad either.
Cath Sparrow
I'm afraid we proved last time I was at a London Meet that the Malbrough Head is a bit tight for space and the group wasn't as many as we have signed up this time, admittedly we weren't there early but if by some fluke of fate we do get really good weather I dont expect we'd want to rush indoors just cause we wanted to get the space.
Mata
Picnic: likely assuming that Noah hasn't starting building an ark yet, and given recent weeks I do wonder about that.

Pub: The Marlb. Head and World's End are both cool pubs, but they have the big disadvantage that they're bloody noisy on the weekends and I'm really there to talk with everyone. I really liked the Samuel Smiths pub we went to last time. It had cheap, good beer and no music. Given that music choices in London seem to be 'so loud you go deaf' or 'none at all' then I'd rather go the evening with good conversation and no music than vice versa.

I have no preference for the choice of park, but somewhere without a festival going on seems like a good idea!

I'd prefer choice of pub to be guided on the principle of being able to speak, not shout. Being near to the park is a bonus. Obviously it needs to be near a tube. My preference would be somewhere that makes it relatively easy to get back to Waterloo afterwards because the shorter that trip, the longer I (and several others) can stay out in the pub with everyone else.

There's a list of Samuel Smith's pubs here:
http://www.beerintheevening.com/chains/chain.shtml/chain/12
Perhaps someone with a better idea about London geography could chose one, or something similar?
Faerieryn
There's a big Samuel Smiths pub just the other side of Trafalgar square from st Jame's park called "chandlers" or something similar. Its about 3 floors
Mata
That works for me unless anyone else has a burning desire to go elsewhere?
Witless
QUOTE (Faerieryn @ Jul 16 2007, 11:18 PM) *
There's a big Samuel Smiths pub just the other side of Trafalgar square from st Jame's park called "chandlers" or something similar. Its about 3 floors

You mean the 'Chandos' pud right? smile.gif

I have filmed one of my student films in that pub and so know it very well. Yes is a good place and I still haven't tryed all their beers.
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
QUOTE (Witless @ Jul 17 2007, 01:52 AM) *
QUOTE (Faerieryn @ Jul 16 2007, 11:18 PM) *

You mean the 'Chandos' pud right? smile.gif

I have filmed one of my student films in that pub and so know it very well. Yes is a good place and I still haven't tryed all their beers.

I like the sound of that plan!

Also one of my friends who has just moved to London is probably going to come and join the funs... should be plenty of peoples!!
Mata
Damn, am I going to have to remember more names? I think I've already learnt one this year, and all these other people are going to make things very tricky! *head explodes*
Cath Sparrow
/pat dont worry dear. I gave up on trying to do that a long time ago, just call everyone dear and they dont notice. tongue.gif
Phyllis
I think Ste invited Rob and Claire again, but I'm not sure if they're actually coming. Aren't I thoughtful? I found photos from the previous meet instead of just saying names. tongue.gif I am, of course, assuming you all know who the non-Rob/Claire people in those photos are, though...

I've given up trying to count how many people are coming to this one!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.