Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cats from hell
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Personal concerns
spiffilicious05
So I was walking up our front steps into my house, and I just got back from the gym, to find my laptop on the floor of my living room...in pieces...
The worst part? My father was walking around the room acting like nothing had happened asking me where the remote was. mad.gif When I asked him what the heck happened to my laptop he looked at it and said "oh, the cats got to it, where's the remote?"

Somehow, my cats managed to get a hold my laptop and broke not the actual screen but whatever is behind it...looks quite odd actually. The CD rom was knocked out of the laptop and had a few pieces hanging off of it, it won't start up or shut down it's just in this constant weird looking state.... and I know absolutely nothing about computers!!

I could go have it repaired, but after paying for my trip I'm completely broke! sad.gif Sorry, just needed to vent a little...

stupid kitties...

it's too bad they're so damn adorable
Mata
All cats are from hell, they just pretend to be otherwise until they can operate tin-openers by themselves. 'Sorry to hear about your laptop (and the distinct lack of parental support in the feline war).
SPEAKERfortheLOST
frankly I know of no cat (short of a lion, tiger, panther, et cetera) that could possibly knock any laptop off of whatever it was on. No cat would have the sheer mass to do it...

besides most cats are too nimble to have done that...

Now, don't get me wrong I'm not trying to blame anyone, but I would take a look at how your father was 'walking' when you returned...

Oh, just to back my claim I am a Network Administrator. I do know what it takes to cause that damage. There is something greatly wrong there...
Forever Unknown
Cats can too knock laptops off stuff. They can knock anything off anything. I have two kittens and they happily create carnage of all sizes. All it'd need is for the laptop to be on something even slightly unstable, or the smallest bit of corner over an edge, and they could flip it.

You may know what it takes to cause that damage, but I know how mental cats are.
Calantyr
Cats are evil incarnate.

FEAR!
Radaga
Well, Iīve seen a laptop destroyed, and the HD was still firmly in place, as well as the CD-ROM. And the cause of damage was

1) fall from a table
2) violent kick by the owner.

he had earphones on, plugged on his laptop, when he suddenly forgot the fact, stood up fast to get the door, and the computer flew to the ground, seeing the damage, out of frustration, the 160 pounds man kicked and stepped on the poor electronic device.

Thats the damage level needed to destroy a laptop.
Pixelgoth
However your laptop got destroyed I'm sorry to hear that. It sucks sad.gif Do you have accidental damage insurance on home contents? You could claim on that?
spiffilicious05
For those of you who disagree with the idea that my cats are the culprits I would normally agree with you - but I'd hate to think that my father would do something like that to me.

Although I wouldn't be so unsure of my cats' ability to destroy my laptop. They may not be strong enough but they're quite clever. (I've watched them do things like open our doors and open our bread box) The two of them also run around very fast jumping and pouncing and such....

I don't know, I guess it could have been my father but I can't imagine what I could have done to make him so angry... sad.gif
Izzy
Oh, I totally believe cats can screw up laptops. Cocoa is always sitting in my computer chair, and I doubt she's never been on my desk. Meh laptop has scratches on it...
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (Izzy @ Jun 29 2007, 12:21 AM) *
Cocoa is always sitting in my computer chair, and I doubt she's never been on my desk.

Of course she's been on your desk! How else would she turn the monitor on and off?!
Izzy
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Jun 28 2007, 06:34 PM) *
QUOTE (Izzy @ Jun 29 2007, 12:21 AM) *

Cocoa is always sitting in my computer chair, and I doubt she's never been on my desk.

Of course she's been on your desk! How else would she turn the monitor on and off?!

Makes me wonder which sites she's been on. 'Hope I'm not gonna have to set blocks. Naughty kitties...
Daria
If kittens masturbate, does God kill babies?
Izzy
QUOTE (Daria @ Jun 29 2007, 05:39 AM) *
If kittens masturbate, does God kill babies?

Naw, because than the mortality rate of babies would be way higher. Unless he/she/it/nonexistentthing only kills babies and Africa and stuff.
Daria

LaptopbreakingCat is sorry. Can he has hugs?
spiffilicious05
hahaha thanks guys

As far as insurance goes I couldn't purchase any because I bought the display model and the store I was at refused to let me buy any sort of insurance whatsoever (weird I know but the model was infinitely cheaper so...)

The good news is that my mother took it into her work and her boss absolutely loves to work with computers - it's his pass time. He believes that it's salvage able although I have to buy a bunch of parts...he said if I purchase the parts off of ebay it would be cheaper than purchasing a new computer. However, if I choose to buy the parts first hand (i.e. a new screen and some other random things) it would probably be better to buy a new laptop.

But thank you for letting me vent and cheering me up! smile.gif

ps this will be my last post until I'm back from my trip smile.gif yay!
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (Daria @ Jun 29 2007, 03:04 PM) *

LaptopbreakingCat is sorry. Can he has hugs?

*runs screaming from freaky stretched-arms-sharp-paws cat* ohmy.gif
Izzy
"But it's not my fault you forgot to de-claw me! ^^"
_____________________________________ sad.gif
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (Izzy @ Jul 1 2007, 12:47 AM) *
"But it's not my fault you forgot to de-claw me! ^^"
_____________________________________ sad.gif

Hey it's not my cat...I refuse to take responsibility for it's upkeep tongue.gif
Sir Psycho Sexy
Does de-clawing come under upkeep? Or mutilation?
Phyllis
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Jul 3 2007, 07:30 PM) *

Definitely the latter.
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (candice @ Jul 3 2007, 07:35 PM) *
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Jul 3 2007, 07:30 PM) *

Definitely the latter.

Justified if they insist on sticking the bleeders in my legs dry.gif
Mattskimo
You should pull it apart and try to salvage as many parts as you can. I'm gonna guess you can salvage most of it except the screen.
Ashbless
The Cat?!? blink.gif

very, very wrong. Bad Mattskimo!
porcelainwarrior
I'd have to say in my experience it doesn't take much to kill a laptop. Half the reason I've been away for so long was my ongoing battle to get my insurance to replace a laptop which they deemed unsalvagable but not covered by the insurance but disposed of without my permission (the screen was wrecked but I could still hook it up to an external monitor and that's what I was prepared to do). The incident that destroyed my screen so utterly? I put the laptop from the bed to the floor while I changed the bedclothes, a pillow accidentally got dropped and covered the laptop - I stepped onto the pillow, felt the laptop underneath and stepped back before even putting half my weight on it. The whole incident took less than a second and the screen looked like someone had bombed it.

On the other hand I may just have a ridiculously heavy stride. The same thing happened with a chinchilla once and it died - 'twas horrible sad.gif
Jim
QUOTE (SPEAKERfortheLOST @ Jun 28 2007, 03:32 AM) *
frankly I know of no cat (short of a lion, tiger, panther, et cetera) that could possibly knock any laptop off of whatever it was on. No cat would have the sheer mass to do it...

besides most cats are too nimble to have done that...

Now, don't get me wrong I'm not trying to blame anyone, but I would take a look at how your father was 'walking' when you returned...

Oh, just to back my claim I am a Network Administrator. I do know what it takes to cause that damage. There is something greatly wrong there...

i agree with this lmao

I reckon it was your dad, unless you have some realy realy realy realy (you get the point) fat cat biggrin.gif
-TheKasbah-
Yes Jim, we all get the point...that you can't spell "really." tongue.gif
Radaga
To kill a laptop is one thing, to destroy itīs casing, is a completely different matter.

http://www.buscabox.com.br/videos/vervideo...deo=31704jyVd1s

This is a video where they try to destroy videogame consoles by dropping heavy weights on it, from the top of ladders, hit them with baseball bats and such.. and they still function after the ordeal.

The gamecube survives falling from 15 feet. And even if the Xbox died, the casing was nearly intact.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.