Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: And on to the next meet!
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2
Witless
Right, I couldn't find anywhere that suggested there needed to be a minimum cool off period between a meet and planning the next meet. So how's about we get the ball rolling on another.

Might I suggest an early september meet so we can meet before people scatter to Uni and the like? It will be harder after that. I have no ideas for location suggetions to be honest.

Plan! Discuss! Obey!
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
Oooh I like the way you think!
I'll be living in Norwich by then so may I suggest somewhere not too far West/North.
mooooooooooopo
Can I suggest Derby, since the last meet here was rather small?

Cand and I have plenty of space to put people up and we have many fun activities, possibly including MINIGOLF!!
Phyllis
QUOTE (moop @ Aug 4 2007, 09:08 PM) *
Can I suggest Derby, since the last meet here was rather small?

Yeah, only 5 people came to it, including us! Come on, you all know you want to. tongue.gif There are cheap train fares (if you book in advance), and uh...it'd make us happy? biggrin.gif

Also, we know a lot more about the area now than we did then. And haven't you always wanted to see a garlic nan the size of a Ryn?

Hmm, need a hypno-eyes smilie... wacko.gif
elphaba2
Hmm, what we need is a US meet. I'm leaving the NYC area next June, and it is the Biggest and Finest City in All the Land, so Americans! Let's rally and meet before then.

(why have we got such a f*cking huge country it is not even like we need all that room for anything ahh.)
gothictheysay
w00t w00t! I'm about three hours from NYC *nod* I would totally go if it were just you and I, elphaba. biggrin.gif
Moosh
If we can organise one in Derby and I'm free then I can totally come. Derby's pretty near to me so it should be easy enough.
Faerieryn
Garlic Naan the size of me!!!!!???!!!! Derby sounds good so long as I have money and the start of term isn't too crappy!!!
Ashbless
Meet in Canada?
Western Canada?

Um, Please?

laugh.gif

Hey Mata, William Gibson lives in Vancouver. *casual suggestion to try to entice interest in my part of the world*
Mata
He does, but he'll be in London in less than four weeks and I'll going to a talk he's doing smile.gif
elphaba2
QUOTE (gothictheysay @ Aug 5 2007, 12:41 PM) *
w00t w00t! I'm about three hours from NYC *nod* I would totally go if it were just you and I, elphaba. biggrin.gif

That might well be what winds up happening--I dunno if there's anyone else in the area who'd be willing to come! Stupid huge country.
Cath Sparrow
Derby's good I can drive to Derby and have something that pretends to be cash flow again.
Phyllis
And, as a bonus, there is a very easy to find pub with plenty of seating (not the one we went to at the last Derby meet) directly across from the train station where we can meet up. That way we can sit and have drinks while waiting for everyone to arrive.

It beats standing around in a station, anyway, especially with as late as many of us tend to run. tongue.gif
Calantyr
Would anyone be interested in grabbing a sushi meal at the next meet?

I say this because I love sushi, and so should you!
Mata
As long as it's going cheap. Oh wait, that's birds, not fish.
Faerieryn
Sushi is not good for Ryns I'm afraid. Me and fish are bad enough. Me and RAW fish? Yo have to be kidding!!!
Radaga
A meeting here in brazil, rio de janeiro, preferably, would be nice wink.gif

by the end of next year, perhaps, I can afford a trip to england.. I guess ... or hope.. whatever. sad.gif
{Gothic Angel}
I will do my best to be at ANY meet, but realistically, I'm going to have cash flow issues until around January. I might be able to come to a meet in October or afterwards, but definitely not before sad.gif
Sir Psycho Sexy
Was the reason that only 5 people went to the Derby meet because it quite far out of the way?

There was a US-Meet, it was a few years ago, I was there, much fun was had...we went to Sacramento.

September's not that good for me, my sister's expecting her sprog half way through the month, I'm going to Germany at the start and I'm sorta between jobs at the moment, which, thinking about it, is the worst time to do it, but I'm hating the job more than wanting tons o' cash.
Daria
As long as I'm not JUST moving house, or am poor, I should be able to come to Derby this time biggrin.gif

Also, Cand. I think you wanted this
@_@
vicrawr
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Aug 11 2007, 07:27 PM) *
Was the reason that only 5 people went to the Derby meet because it quite far out of the way?

There was a US-Meet, it was a few years ago, I was there, much fun was had...we went to Sacramento.

September's not that good for me, my sister's expecting her sprog half way through the month, I'm going to Germany at the start and I'm sorta between jobs at the moment, which, thinking about it, is the worst time to do it, but I'm hating the job more than wanting tons o' cash.

Four years ago, to be exact. There was indeed much fun to be had. I still have that Snapple sticker on the bill of my hat.
spiffilicious05
QUOTE (elphaba2 @ Aug 5 2007, 12:52 AM) *
Hmm, what we need is a US meet. I'm leaving the NYC area next June, and it is the Biggest and Finest City in All the Land, so Americans! Let's rally and meet before then.

(why have we got such a f*cking huge country it is not even like we need all that room for anything ahh.)

I completely second that --- the meet and the fact that our country is too big. =) If I'm not in London by then I would definitely be up for a New York Mata meet. I live in upstate New York, so if there's anyone from the Eastern Canada area that doesn't live too far from NY, they are more than welcome to car pool with me =). I know I'm less than 3 hours from St. Catherine's....

laugh.gif
Phyllis
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Aug 12 2007, 12:27 AM) *

Nope. A bunch of people had to cancel at the last minute for other reasons. It's not any more out of the way than Nottingham, which had two meets with a bunch of people.

Ah, yes, thank you Daria. biggrin.gif @_@ Deeerrrbyyyy @_@

Actually, I'd be fairly happy as long as it's not in London again. tongue.gif Derby is just kind of an obvious suggestion, since we have plenty of free floor space and it's cheap to get here (usually about 5.95 from London if you book online in advance with a railcard...7 if you don't have a railcard). Nottingham or Birmingham would also be good, but the last trains from there to here on a Saturday are all around 10PM (unless we want to spend 2+ hours on a bus), so floorspace would be a bit trickier.
Daria
Cand, can we go pony trekking?
Or or or! Go pony trekking the day after the meet?

*likes ponies*
Phyllis
Pony trekking? Cands do not mix with ponies. And I don't know of anywhere nearby where we could do such things, I'm afraid.
Daria
But Derby has hills! There must be ponies >_<
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
QUOTE (Daria @ Aug 13 2007, 05:09 PM) *
But Derby has hills! There must be ponies >_<

Correction; Derbyshire has hills. Derby itself is pretty flat, especially compared to Nottingham and Sheffield.

Ponies aren't big fans of city centres, even if they have hills tongue.gif
Phyllis
What snoo said. biggrin.gif Derby is flaaaaaat, and lacking in ponies.

We can possibly offer go-karting, mini-golf, and/or boats of some sort (though I would be decidedly less interested in the last one). Not entirely sure. Apparently we have lived a short walk from all of this stuff for quite some time and not realized it. Going to go and check it out this weekend and see if it's all kid stuff or if grownups are allowed too!
Daria
ohmy.gif
DARIAS LOVE BOATS!
Heh... Daria's love boats.
Eeenyways, I think something like Go-Karting or boating or something just as awesome would be fun for a meet. I mean, like, I enjoy sitting in a pub for most of the day, but I also love crashing into people at high speed. And driving Go-Karts.
Faerieryn
Does Derby have bowling? Matazonians ike bowling!!!!!
Calantyr
Go-Karts! Go-Karts! Go-Karts!

If I haven't gotten the point across yet...

GO-KARTS!
Phyllis
QUOTE (Faerieryn @ Aug 13 2007, 10:23 PM) *
Does Derby have bowling? Matazonians ike bowling!!!!!

I thought about that, but the nearest one I could find is in Sinfin...which is quite a hike. sad.gif

Nottingham has bowling, though, as you well know! We would need a backup plan for all the go-kart/minigolf/boat stuff if the weather doesn't cooperate. I'm not really sure what indoor stuff Derby has to do, aside from the market (supposedly the biggest indoor market in Britain, but I have my doubts!), which gets boring pretty quickly. I will investigate.
Sir Psycho Sexy
There's always...y'know... the pub? tongue.gif
Phyllis
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Aug 14 2007, 03:31 PM) *

QUOTE (Daria @ Aug 13 2007, 07:59 PM) *
I think something like Go-Karting or boating or something just as awesome would be fun for a meet. I mean, like, I enjoy sitting in a pub for most of the day, but I also love crashing into people at high speed. And driving Go-Karts.

What she said. tongue.gif

Pubs are great, but it'd be nice to do something different for a change.
Daria

You just want to fall on me and dry hump me goodbye again
>_<
Faerieryn
Again...???...

Hmm indoor things to do... Ice skating? Lazer quest? Pool tournament? Bring cards/ board games to the pub???
Daria
ohmy.gif Lazer quest! biggrin.gif
blackbeltduck
Yey, this might actually work out for me.

*fingers crossed*
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (Daria @ Aug 14 2007, 09:13 PM) *

You just want to fall on me and dry hump me goodbye again
>_<

Surely I'd remember something like that?
Daria
It was pretty fast and painless.
I do remember that I wasn't wearing shoes, though.
Cath Sparrow
Oooo! Go Karts!!!!!!!! Cath's looooove Go Karts they go fast and stuff.
Phyllis
QUOTE (blackbeltduck @ Aug 15 2007, 01:44 AM) *
Yey, this might actually work out for me.

*fingers crossed*

Hey, it's bbd. ohmy.gif I'd forgotten you were in England now.

Anyway, this thread kinda died. I decided to revive it, cause Witless mentioned it the other day in IRC. Anyone still thinking of doing this? If so, what dates are good for people?
Mata
Make me an offer of a date and I'll see what I can do.

Personally I'd vote 'no' to go-karting. Principally because I'm abysmally bad at it - if they handled like the ones in Super Mario Kart I would rock. I have discovered that they do not. Secondly, and more importantly, it costs a fair bit of dosh for something that you only do for half an hour.

There was mention in another thread of a meet in Croydon. It's my old stomping ground and there is a selection of decent pubs and late night musically stuff. Admittedly though, it is rather slim on alternatives to drinking.
mooooooooooopo
Okay, no go karts but if people stay with Cand and I then Mario Kart on the SNES (or N64 if someone has a copy) is a possibility. biggrin.gif
Izzy
Nooo, go go-karting! I dunno if you guys have it in England, but here you can get a bracelet for like $15 ish and ride all day. Go karts are awesome. biggrin.gif
Phyllis
QUOTE (Mata @ Sep 5 2007, 08:25 PM) *
There was mention in another thread of a meet in Croydon.

Well...I'm open to suggestions other than here, but will likely give any more Londonish meets a pass for awhile. Especially since the last one was down there. tongue.gif I'm just kind of burned out on it at the moment, which admittedly has little to do with the London area itself, but the issues will arise nontheless (ooh, cryptic). So if you'd all rather go to Croydon, feel free, but I'll still try to pester a few people (likely in IRC) to come visit us/meet up somewhere that isn't London at some point. tongue.gif

As far as dates go...someone else suggest one! I'm usually pretty good at picking the exact date when the most people are busy. rolleyes.gif
Calantyr
Heh, a mini-meet in Croydon might be fun. It's only a quick tram journey away from me.

Trams are fun.*

*I take my giggles where I can get them.
Faerieryn
Croydon isn't too far away from me, but I don't know much about the area
Phyllis
We were just discussing the potential Derby meet in IRC (me, Monty, Daria, and CheeseMoose). We are thinking of the 3rd and 4th of November as a possible date.

Since it'll be November, that'll likely mean none of the outdoor activities that were previously discussed, but the alcohol will be cheaper. And there will be Snid and Apples to Apples (both of those are awesome, really, trust me).

Also: as of the 1st I will have been in the UK for a year (woooo). Though it's just now occured to us that people might be busy since it's so close to bonfire night. Hmmm. Consarnit. Well, what does everyone else think? Maybe a different weekend in November if too many people are busy?
Daria
You forgot to add that there will be yummy yummy food. Made by US! biggrin.gif

YUM-MYYY *shakes fist*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.