Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Secret Santa
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Izzy
Just a thought I thought I'd throw out there.

Any one interested possibly doing a Superly-Duperly-Hardcore-Matazone-Secret-Santa-Thing for the December holidays?

People on here tend to send each other things anyway. From condoms to panties... I figured a Secret Santa could be fun. smile.gif

Addresses I Have
Izzy
I_am_the_best
Snoo
Syuu
{Gothic_Angel}
Smiler
Faeireryn
Trunks_girl26
CheeseMoose
Mata
Candice
Moop
Ashbless
SPEAKERfortheLOST
Elphaba2
Daria

Addresses I Need
voice_in_my_head
Cath
Mata
I'm interested in that... Although I suspect that anything I send will be fairly obviously from me.
SPEAKERfortheLOST
Im game....

though I think that there needs to be someone to organize such an event, you know to make sure Mata doesn't receive thirty pairs of syuu's undergarments....... or something....
Daria
I would love to join in with this! I am, however, notoriously awful at sending things within a timeframe. (Which reminds me, I need to send a friend's suitcase he left here in August. And letters. And panties. Damn)
But, things do get sent and I think it would be a cool idea.
Moosh
Becky, you still have Robin's suitcase? You've moved house since he left that, haven't you?

And yeah, I'd totally be up for it. And Speaker, who wouldn't want to receive thirty pairs of syuu's undergarments?
Daria
Robert, and yes >_<
Ashbless
I'd be interested.

How would it work? Who would pick the names out of the hat? How would the Matazonian who got our name be secret when we'd have to PM them our address?* Not that that's a problem. It's just a weird spin on the game.

Let me know who's name I pull from the hat.

*tricky but possible as I'm changing residences again. Yay new apartment!
Mata
One person would co-ordinate, getting all the addresses, then send out addresses randomly to the other people. You know who you're buying/making for, but they don't know who it has come from.
Phyllis
QUOTE (Mata @ Nov 28 2007, 04:46 PM) *
You know who you're buying/making for, but they don't know who it has come from.

Question. Do you usually reveal who the Secret Santa is upon giving the gift here? I ask because earlier Ste was mentioning something about a Secret Santa at work, and how the person he is getting the gift for won't know it has come from him.

Whenever I've done this in the US we usually included a card saying who had given the gift. If you aren't supposed to reveal the gift-giver here, that could get tricky when it comes to customs forms for forumites in the US or Canada. You have to sign your name and all.... tongue.gif

Anyway, I will join in!
Faerieryn
Us too!!!!!!!!!
Mata
QUOTE (candice @ Nov 28 2007, 05:30 PM) *
that could get tricky when it comes to customs forms for forumites in the US or Canada. You have to sign your name and all.... tongue.gif

With my signature I doubt that would be much of a problem wink.gif You could always have someone else sign it for you, I guess.

I don't think you usually tell people who sent it, but I think often people either find out or work it out anyway - I suspect that's part of the fun.

So, who's going to be the central hub? We'll need to get organised quickly. Izzy, do you want to distribute the names or would you like someone else to do it? I don't mind being the hub if you would prefer.
Cath Sparrow
Aye sign me up to.
elphaba2
Uh, word. I would also like giving/getting!
Pikasyuu
I'd like to do this also, it sounds like a lot of fun.

..and no, no one will be getting thirty pairs of undergarments from me. those are expensive.
I_am_the_best
May I join too? I don't know very many people here, but it sounds so fun!
Izzy
QUOTE (Mata @ Nov 28 2007, 01:52 PM) *
So, who's going to be the central hub? We'll need to get organised quickly. Izzy, do you want to distribute the names or would you like someone else to do it? I don't mind being the hub if you would prefer.

Uh, if you're really up to doing it you can, otherwise no pressure. I could do it, but I dunno about how every one would feel about sending me their addresses and stuff, since I haven't really been on here that long.
Mata
Nearly two years counts as a while!

I've got a lot going on at the moment with looking for a new job, and I'm happy for you to have my address. Is everyone else okay with that?
Izzy
QUOTE (elphaba2 @ Nov 28 2007, 03:59 PM) *
Uh, word. I would also like giving/getting!

I like getting. biggrin.gif Just so everyone knows. Yeah.

Should there be a price limit on gifts?

*edit* It doesn't seem like two years. Time flies when your having fun?
Phyllis
I'd say around 5ish dollars or pounds.

I'm fine with you having my address. Two years is quite a long time -- that's half as long as me! If you misuse it I will just break out my old Trunchbull icon and swing you around by the pigtails. wink.gif

moop also wants to join in separately from me. Hopefully we won't draw one another's names! That would be no fun.
Izzy
Alright. So here's a list of everyone so far. Tell me if you want to be added/removed (which you shouldn't want to be removed, as I will totally take it personally. tongue.gif )

Santa List Thingy
Me (Izzy)
Mata
SPEAKER
Becky
Moosh
Emma
Ashbless
Candice
Moop
Syuu
Cath
Faerieryn (psst, who's 'Us'?)

If I missed you, please let me know! You can start PMing address now. Inbox all cleared out for
Mata
Okay:

Partners can pick not to be buying for their partner (Ryn/Smiler, Cand/Moop)
Absolute maximum spend 5 ($10), average spend 2-3 ($4-6)
Don't get anything too heavy or you'll blow a fortune on shipping
Presents can be something you've made
You're not allowed to be offended if you don't like something
Try not to buy something people are unlikely to like!
You shouldn't tell people that you're buying/making for them before you send it, but you can once they've got it if you want
Photos of cool presents will be expected!

Any other guidelines?
Izzy
Hmm. Anybody want to take about 1/4 of the list maybe? I don't want to know who's getting me something.
Phyllis
QUOTE (Izzy @ Nov 28 2007, 11:36 PM) *
Hmm. Anybody want to take about 1/4 of the list maybe? I don't want to know who's getting me something.

Sure, I will. Just forward me a list.
elphaba2
QUOTE (Izzy @ Nov 28 2007, 06:26 PM) *
Alright. So here's a list of everyone so far. Tell me if you want to be added/removed (which you shouldn't want to be removed, as I will totally take it personally. tongue.gif )

Santa List Thingy
Me (Izzy)
Mata
SPEAKER
Becky
Moosh
Emma
Ashbless
Candice
Moop
Syuu
Cath
Faerieryn (psst, who's 'Us'?)

If I missed you, please let me know! You can start PMing address now. Inbox all cleared out for

You definitely missed me. You missed me like that 90's song about the desert missing the rain.

/wants to send someone something!
Pikasyuu
Yayyy, this sounds fun - I understand the price limit, but it still makes me a little sad since I like to buy personal things for people and sort of ignore the budget. Is it at all possible to raise it to $15?

and yes, I'm happy for you to have my address. This'll be fun.
Daria
How about "people shouldn't expect a gift over 5/$10, but if yours is over that then it's obviously from Syuu"? tongue.gif

Fyi, Izzy, "Us" is Ryn (Faerieryn) and Matt (Smiler).
I'm happy for you to have my address, Izzy. I have yours! biggrin.gif
Pikasyuu
sounds perfect! i'll probably be signing it 'syuuclaus' anyway. tongue.gif
Daria
And on that note (no pun intended)- do you pronounce "Syuu" as the 'sue' in persue, as "sigh-oo", or just as "sue"? Or a comedy fourth option?
Mata
Santa List Thingy
Me (Izzy)
Mata
SPEAKER
Becky
Moosh
Emma
Ashbless
Candice
Moop
Syuu
Cath
Faerieryn
Smiler

Anyone else?

My address has been PM'd. I forgot to put that it's in the UK, but I'm sure people can work that out.
Moosh
Mata missed Amy (elphaba2) off his list as well, I think they just don't like you Amy tongue.gif

I've sent in my address.
trunks_girl26
Oooo, ooo, I wanna join!

Address sent =)
Mata
Santa List Thingy
Me (Izzy)
Mata
SPEAKER
Becky
Moosh
Emma
Ashbless
Candice
Moop
Syuu
Cath
Faerieryn
Smiler
Amy (elphaba2)
trunks_girl26

Any more?

Closing date for joining is December 2nd. That gives people the weekend to see this. The last posting date for USA is 10th December, so we'll have one week to buy and send things.
Phyllis
QUOTE (Daria @ Nov 29 2007, 11:31 AM) *
And on that note (no pun intended)- do you pronounce "Syuu" as the 'sue' in persue, as "sigh-oo", or just as "sue"? Or a comedy fourth option?

see-you, I think? Hell if I know, and I have know her for four years. tongue.gif

I sent our address this morning. I think it might have spazzed out and sent you two PMs, Izzy. If so, sorry!
Moosh
QUOTE (candice @ Nov 29 2007, 06:55 PM) *
QUOTE (Daria @ Nov 29 2007, 11:31 AM) *

see-you, I think? Hell if I know, and I have know her for four years. tongue.gif

I always hear it in my head as "suh-you". But I tend to get pronunciations wrong
Mata
How weird, I pronounce it 'Syuu'.
{Gothic Angel}
Me, me! I want to do it! And James is making kitten faces until I do anyway.
Izzy
QUOTE (candice @ Nov 28 2007, 07:16 PM) *
QUOTE (Izzy @ Nov 28 2007, 11:36 PM) *

Sure, I will. Just forward me a list.

Nevermind, actually. I couldn't sleep last night, and came up with this:

I'm going to make an account called 'Secret Santa' and give everyone that signed up the password. In the Save Box will be a certain amount of saved messages (depending on how many people are doing this). ONE AT A TIME log in(so if you see Secret Santa online, don't go in), an go to the Save Message Box Thingy, and click one of the messages. Who you click is who you get. Unless you get yourself or your partner. Once you've got the address you're using, delete that message so no one else will click on it.

Make sense?
Pikasyuu
there are actually two ways of pronouncing it - if you go by the Japanese way (it's supposed to mean something along the lines of clever in raw form, or something like that), it sounds a little like 'shyew'. the way i usually pronounce it is as though you've put an 's' before the word 'you' and just say it all in one syllable.

and yes, that makes sense - good idea! i'll PM you my address now.
Phyllis
Okay, that works! Maybe you should also post as Secret Santa in this thread when you pick your person, just to make sure that no one gets duplicates (ie: I log in, get elphaba's address when I go into the saved messages, and then post "Santa has a gift-giver for elphaba" in the thread before logging back into my regular account).

I just got off the phone with snoo, and she also wants to join in. She won't have regular Internet access until after Christmas, though, so I will be texting her to let her know the address and name of the person she gets.

I will PM you with her address details, Izzy.
Mata
Santa List Thingy
Izzy
Mata
SPEAKER
Becky
Moosh
Emma
Ashbless
Candice
Moop
Syuu
Cath
Faerieryn
Smiler
Amy (elphaba2)
trunks_girl26
{Gothic Angel}
Snoo
elphaba2
I'm really offended, you guys. Just to let you know.
Izzy
^ We're sorry!!! I promise I won't miss you off of the list I'm about to make.

Addresses I Have
Izzy
I_am_the_best
Snoo
Syuu
{Gothic_Angel}
Smiler
Faeireryn
Trunks_girl26
CheeseMoose
Mata
Candice
Moop
Ashbless
SPEAKERfortheLOST
Elphaba2

You're all nice and organized in Microsoft word. smile.gif

Addresses I Need
Cath
voice_in_my_head

Is that everyone?

(I'm gonna put this in the first post)
voices_in_my_head
I very much like this idea, there's something I need to know before I join, though:

If I were to send my gift to a person in the UK, how much would shipping cost, what would that require, etc?

Also I do hope that no one here would have an issue with some sort of random and silly gift, as I'm in highschool and it's all I can afford.
And my parent's can't know tongue.gif I don't think they'd be paticuarly happy about me giving my address to some random person on the internet.
Phyllis
QUOTE (voices_in_my_head @ Nov 30 2007, 12:55 AM) *
If I were to send my gift to a person in the UK, how much would shipping cost, what would that require, etc?

Roughly $9 for the first pound, I think. They have a list somewhere on the USPS website. I usually sent gifts that weighed just around a pound, and I paid $9-$10ish each time. All you need to do is fill out a customs form (they're pretty self-explanatory) at the post office. I am pretty sure that the US stopped offering surface mail to the UK (which is SO UNBELIEVABLY LAME as I still have about 100ish books to ship over, grrrr), so you won't have to choose between surface or air mail. You would want air anyway, just in case my information is wrong. Surface would take 4-6 weeks.

It's a lot cheaper (if your gift is non-breakable, of course) to send it in a padded envelope, if memory serves. And if you don't want your parents to find out, it might give the secret away if they get to the mail before you do. If your present-giver is in England, it will have a big customs form right on the package telling them where it came from and what is inside.
voices_in_my_head
Well it won't much matter once it's done. tongue.gif

I suppose I'm in, though. Whoever it is should expect a light gift, though. biggrin.gif
Izzy
QUOTE (voices_in_my_head @ Nov 29 2007, 07:55 PM) *
And my parent's can't know tongue.gif I don't think they'd be paticuarly happy about me giving my address to some random person on the internet.

Yeah, I'm dittoing that. I told my mom last night that some friends and I were thinking of doing a Secret Santa thing, but instead of giving them to each other, we would mail them to wherever twe are around Christmas. She definitely took it to mean real life friends, but hey.

QUOTE (Daria @ Nov 29 2007, 04:30 AM) *
Fyi, Izzy, "Us" is Ryn (Faerieryn) and Matt (Smiler).

Oh... I get that now. I thought Matt and Smiler were two different people.
Secret Santa
Santa needs two more addresses! Other than that, we're ready. smile.gif

The PMs have been saved as different colors, so choose wisely! Just not yet.
michael1384
Interesting. Not sure my mum would aprove...
Izzy
QUOTE (michael1384 @ Nov 30 2007, 12:54 PM) *
Interesting. Not sure my mum would aprove...

You could join the 'let's not tell our parents, get superfulerific gifts, and hope we don't get in trouble' club? Current members: 2.
Moosh
Okay, so how does the logging on to the secret santa account go? Does Izzy Pm each of us in turn, we log on, pick a person, delete the saved PM and then post in here as santa saying "Santa has a gift giver for <person>" ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.