Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Secret Santa
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Witless
QUOTE (CheeseMoose @ Nov 30 2007, 06:40 PM) *
Okay, so how does the logging on to the secret santa account go?

It's only an account.. I thought the real Santa had come to the forums.. sad.gif
Phyllis
QUOTE (Witless @ Nov 30 2007, 08:40 PM) *
It's only an account.. I thought the real Santa had come to the forums.. sad.gif

Awwww. CM didn't mean it. He was just trying to fool you into being naughty so Santa wouldn't give you any goodies. He is a tricky little moose. I think he's just jealous because Santa wouldn't let him be one of the reindeer...
Izzy
If I PM each of you in turn, wait for you to come on, wait for you to tell me that you've picked someone so I can PM someone else, it would take longer than it should for everyone to get someone. So you should just do it on your own time. You can probably start logging in and picking by the 3rd, latest the 5th. I'm still waiting for some people's addresses.
michael1384
Sorry guys. Can't do it. sad.gif

Wish I could. sad.gif
I_am_the_best
I was thinking, would be ok if with everyone's address, people said what kind of things they liked so that people have some sort of idea of what to look for?
Moosh
QUOTE (I_am_the_best @ Dec 1 2007, 03:52 PM) *
I was thinking, would be ok if with everyone's address, people said what kind of things they liked so that people have some sort of idea of what to look for?

Or maybe everyone nominates one person who the person buying for them can ask for advice on what to get?
Phyllis
How about if you get a person you don't know well, you post something in this thread, as Santa?

ie: "Santa wants to know if soandso has any food allergies or hates chocolate for some insane reason"
Kitty
I want to join! Do I PM my address to secretsanta or izzy?
Ashbless
Send your real address to Izzy.
You will then receive Santa's account password.
When Izzy says go, log on as Santa and go to his messages to be sent file.
Pick a colour, any colour, unless it's yours or your sweethearts.
Send the letter (after noting the real mail address) to let Izzy know that Santa has another helper lined up.

Am I missing anything? unsure.gif
Faerieryn
So are we a go then?

And another thought. If we end up giving to people across the pond as it were can we use amazon or something- I don't want to give out someone's address to a company without their permission but it may make postage cheaper.
Phyllis
QUOTE (Ashbless @ Dec 2 2007, 06:56 AM) *
Send your real address to Izzy.
You will then receive Santa's account password.
When Izzy says go, log on as Santa and go to his messages to be sent file.
Pick a colour, any colour, unless it's yours or your sweethearts.
Send the letter (after noting the real mail address) to let Izzy know that Santa has another helper lined up.

Am I missing anything? unsure.gif

I don't think we're waiting for Izzy to tell people to log in as Secret Santa. It'd take forever.

I thought it was like this:

1. When Izzy says all the addresses are in the account and people can begin logging in as Secret Santa, check the list of online users to make sure that no one is already logged in as him. If no one is, log in as him.
2. Go into the saved messages, pick a color. Pick a different one if you get yourself or your partner. Delete the message after you have written the address down.
3. Post as Secret Santa in this thread, and say "Santa has someone to get a gift for [whoever you chose]." Make sure no one has posted before you saying they chose that address.
4. If you are not sure what to get for that person, you can post as Santa in this thread and ask what kind of things they're interested in.
5. If you're buying for someone in another country, it'd be a good idea to get it sent before the 10th.

Whew. This is getting complicated. Are you sure you just don't want to mix this list up ourselves, Izzy? tongue.gif People could still use the Santa account to ask for hints on what to get people. I think it might be easier. And if you sent me 1/2 the list (including your own name) and we each only mix up the half that we have, there wouldn't be any duplicates. Just a thought!

Ryn, I think it'd be a good idea to buy stuff from Amazon (or Amazon.co.uk). It'd definitely save on shipping!
Izzy
I didn't think this would be so confusing.

Ok, here's what we'll do.

First, I need to know if Cath is still doing this or not, as I haven't received her address yet, and it's the 2nd.

After that gets figured out, this will be totally easy. I'll give the okay, and everyone goes in and picks someone.

Which means no one right now should be picking!!! If you already have, okay. But please, no one else.

If by... Wednesday (the 5th) this isn't working, Candice and I will just do some drawing names out of a hat or something. Actually, I'll PM her a back-up of the list right now so I won't have to worry about it later.

Oh yeah, and don't PM me as Santa. Post in the thread. Otherwise I'll get about 15 PMs that I have no clue what to do with.
Cath Sparrow
Sorry been busy not been able to get to the forum. sad.gif
I sent Cand my Address last night by text do you still need it pm'd?
Phyllis
QUOTE (Cath @ Dec 3 2007, 05:45 PM) *
Sorry been busy not been able to get to the forum. sad.gif
I sent Cand my Address last night by text do you still need it pm'd?

It's okay smile.gif

And nah, I PMed it to Izzy after I got the text. If I would have looked through my addressbook I would have realized I have it already, but oh well!

Edit: Okay, I just got a PM from Izzy and we're going to go ahead with mixing the list up ourselves since it seems the least confusing option. You should all (except Ashbless, cause she jumped the gun tongue.gif ) be receiving a PM from either Izzy or me soon which lets you know who you need to buy a gift for.
Phyllis
Okay, I have done my half!

The following people should have received PMs from me telling them who they need to buy for: Izzy, BAIT, snoo (err, via text), Katii, GA, Smiler, Ryn, Cath, and Ange.

If you're on that list and you didn't get a PM, let me know. Izzy is handling everyone else.

You should only be logging into the Secret Santa account to ask for gift suggestions for your person in this thread. (Izzy, do you think you should delete the Secret Santa saved PMs, so it doesn't confuse anyone? I thought about doing so, but then I wasn't sure if you needed them for your half of the list for some reason.)

*waits not-so-patiently for Izzy to get online* I wanna know who I got!
gothictheysay
Aw, bum. Too late for me, I guess.
Kitty
I wanna know who I got too! Hurry up Izzy! I've been hitting 'refresh' too much!
Cath Sparrow
EEeee! I got my vict....erm....I mean gift reciever. biggrin.gif

Hmmmm must think random.........
Izzy
QUOTE (candice @ Dec 3 2007, 05:15 PM) *
*waits not-so-patiently for Izzy to get online* I wanna know who I got!

I'm online! I'm online! Well, in school so I'm doing the whole 'look at the teacher, try to click on the right thing' thing...

I'll do delete them. Everyone else will get their person in about 8 hours.

School is boring.
Kitty
No Izzy?
Mata
Any progress on this?

Gothictheysay, PM Izzy with your address if you want to join in. You might not be too late yet!
elphaba2
If Izzy's still alive, that is.

What if she got eaten by a lion, you guys?
SPEAKERfortheLOST
*Gasp!*

Then the lion has my address...

*cowers in corner*
Secret Santa
*Coughs loudly*
Ho Ho Ho. Santa wants to know what that good little girl Snoo wants this year! Besides a Ferrari. Santa can't afford a Ferrari. Maybe next year. ..Ho Ho Ho!
Mata
*laughs @ Speaker*

Could I have someone's address please?
Secret Santa
Yo-Ho-Ho!

(Santa decided to be more piratey today)

Arrr, pirate Santa wants to know what Smiler would like for Christmas.

That'd be anything but me ship.

And the rum- 'cause that's gone.

Yo-Ho-Ho!
Phyllis
QUOTE (Mata @ Dec 5 2007, 03:19 PM) *
Could I have someone's address please?

I'm sure Izzy will mix up her half of the list as soon as she can. Unless the lion theory is true. unsure.gif

If she hasn't gotten back to us by the 6th, then I guess I'll mix them up somehow.
{Gothic Angel}
*bounces*

It's all so exciting happy.gif Or mebbe that's just Christmas in general.
Izzy
Sorry guys, had a guitar lesson yesterday that I forgot about, and I didn't want my mom to see what I was doing on the computer, so I didn't risk it.

It's 1:45 right now, school ends at 2 on Wednesdays, then I have a mandatory band rehearsal I have to go to... I'll be home around 4:10. Then you'll all get your PMs,

Pfft, and a lion could never take me down. I'm the king of the jungle. Well, queen.
Phyllis
Yay! That works out well, because I wanted to go shopping tomorrow.

Hmm, a lion could never take you down, eh? I think I sense the potential for profit. Have you ever thought about lion wrestling? You would, of course, need a manager... biggrin.gif
SPEAKERfortheLOST
Same here...

I want my address sooner rather than later, so that I can find something appropriate before the prices rise...
elphaba2
Ayo Izzy...?
Phyllis
I think she's sending the PMs right now. Well, CheeseMoose knows who he's buying for now, anyway.

Edit: And I just got mine! Yay!

Thanks for putting this whole thing together, Izzy. smile.gif

Oh, edit again: SANTA. snoo told me that she just wants to see what kind of random stuff you will get her. She is curious about what other people think she likes. I will add, because I am nice, that she is sporkpenguin on LJ if you want to read her interests list to get some ideas.
Mata
I know too. Hmm... Tricky.

Thanks Izzy!
Izzy
Done! I think. Is there anyone who hasn't received a PM?

Please say no.
Secret Santa
HO HO HO!

Santa is feeling a bit less piratey now. He got it out of his system.

He would also like to know what a certain Miss Elphaba would enjoy receiving from the magical land of England. Santa has to go there on business, you see, and he thought it would be handy to get some shopping done while he's there. The elves are a bit too worn out to make anything at the moment -- too much grog during the pirateyness. You know how it is.
elphaba2
Unfortunately, Miss Elphaba is as utterly unhelpful as Commodore Snoo. She suggests that Santa put to use the 1500 + posts she's made here for assistance if necessary, and mentions also that chocolate of England is a decent last-ditch effort should Santa become stranded, as in a naufrage on the Ocean of Christmas and unable to think of anything. But she encourages Santa to use his own imagination or else she will be only kind of grateful, and will only kind of enjoy her boring gift.

(man I hate writing in third person. The things I do for somebody who pretends to be Santa!)
Secret Santa
Santa is traveling, yet again, around the NE United States and Florida in the next little while and was wondering if Candice would find something local enjoyable? or was were a special something that Candice would like, hmm?
Mata
Santa really needs to work on his random shopping skills. I did have plans of what to send, but I'm going to have a wander around the shops tomorrow to see if anything takes my fancy. Surprise the people - that's the fun of secret Santa! If you're really, really stuck then ask, but otherwise just pick something fun, cool, or that everyone can appreciate.
Phyllis
The only things I can think of that I really miss from the US are probably too heavy to send, Santa.

I am quite easy to please, though, so don't worry. Whatever Santa chooses will be fine! In high school on my birthday my friends filled my locker with easter grass, random drawings they'd done, toy bunnies, candy, and various trinkets. I'm not suggesting that you get any of these things, just saying...be random and creative like that! Get something that you think is Candice-ish. It can be difficult if you don't know me very well, so I understand why you ask, Santa. I don't know my own person much at all.

Okay, I will be a little helpful. Definitely do not get toy bunnies. My birthday falls near Easter. I have enough toy bunnies to choke a lion. And I don't like most US chocolate. Aaaand go!
Daria
QUOTE (elphaba2 @ Dec 5 2007, 10:03 PM) *
Ayo Izzy...?

Jeme (Wytu isn't about for me to poke for the right spelling >_<)

Becky has her Secret Santee and knows that they are awesome to buy for. Yeah *jazzhands*
Cath Sparrow
One quick question. Do we reveal who the Sercret Santa is in the gift when we send it or do we leave them guessing?
Mata
Leave 'em guessing, and maybe reveal it once they've had a couple of days to try and work it out.
Cath Sparrow
Cool sounds good to me.
Secret Santa
Santa would like to know a little bit about Daria. Don't forget to talk about your sense of humor!
Daria
Daria would find it funny if someone sent her a mackerel through the post.
She isn't sure how expensive mackerel is, though.

Daria loves the colour green (not really emerald but a leafy grassy green, or olive green), hates shell being used on ANYTHING and doesn't consume Coca Cola or Starbucks products (or anything from SA) because of her personal politics.
Her favourite kind of chocolate is dark.
She likes cute fuzzies happy.gif and edible things. She is a strict vegetarian, so no gelatine or beef jerky for her, and her favourite band is Chihiro. Daria dressed up as a rainbow to go to Cand and Moop's wedding, but never managed to find a pair of gold underwears. Daria is a cancerian and as such is split between studying marine biology and forestry (although will probably end up doing the former). She LOVES cephalopods (octopus, squid, cuttlefish) because they are weird squishey freaks with beaks and tentacles. She has two kittens and one cat living with her, and two more cats at her parents' house. She likes cats. She collects everything, especially photos she has taken (always in 35mm or polaroid) and has a tendancy to pick up something off the street and take it home if it looks "cool" or weird. (www.foundmagazine.com is a bit like Daria's tendancy of picking up things)
She tries to be as "ethical" as possible, and may be described as a 'bit of a hippy'- she refutes this, as she does a 9-5 PA job and is more down to earth. Perhaps.
Her favourite MZ character is Mr Snaffleburger.
Her shoesize is 8 and has yet to find a pair of awesome shoes in her size that haven't come from an army surplus shop.
She doesn't wear bracelets, but does have her lobes pierced and wears necklaces.
She very much appreciates things people have made themselves.
She likes languages: she can speak French, a bit of BSL and is trying to learn Russian.
She seems to find talking about herself in the third person easy.
Daria hopes she has given enough away about her character biggrin.gif
Phyllis
QUOTE (Daria @ Dec 6 2007, 04:07 PM) *
She is a strict vegetarian, so no gelatine or beef jerky for her

Oho, I probably should have mentioned that, Santa. The same is true for me, moop, and snoo.

Also, I think I already know who my Santa is. unsure.gif It will be interesting to find out if I'm correct! I'm going to give a sliiiight hint with the gift that I give. I'm not sure if the person will be able to guess who I am based on that, though. It all depends on how well s/he pays attention! biggrin.gif
Secret Santa
Santa would like to know what Izzy would like for a pressie and whether she would mind Santa sending her something via the magic of Amazon?

Santa has a lot of people to deliver to and may find the pond a little to deep!
Secret Santa
Moosh has a present which will be on its way in either tomorrow or early next week. Ho ho ho!
Izzy
QUOTE (Secret Santa @ Dec 7 2007, 03:25 PM) *
Santa would like to know what Izzy would like for a pressie and whether she would mind Santa sending her something via the magic of Amazon?

Santa has a lot of people to deliver to and may find the pond a little to deep!

I don't really know. Maybe like a cool CD or something random and funny. No books though.
Try these for help:
Myspace
Facebook

*edit* And I don't care whether or not it's from Amazon or anything like that, as long as they don't send me monthly catalogs or anything. (I've never bought anything off of Amazon so I have no clue whether they do or not.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.