Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why is Mata so good at Scrabulous?
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
Pikasyuu
Some of you may or may not play Scrabulous with Mata on Facebook. If you don't yet, I WARN YOU! The first game we played was innocent seeming, I was even within a hundred points..

But all of a sudden, on game something, I trail by about a hundred and twenty! So fearsome, the scrabble powers..

(This was a very easy choice of which forum to post in)
SPEAKERfortheLOST
Thats easy!

Mata's name was found during the epic Universe Scrabble Championship match between Mata's parents during the 1967 Universe Scrabble Tour. It is actually the cross section that was unexplained between these four words: ROCK, MOVIE, TEA, and ZEBRA. Mind you this was played throughout the Universe and as such was played in Galactic Common #3, which as we all know can allow such words to be spelled out using a standard Scrabble set.

So after the Championship, which ended in a sudden death Boggle match finding Mata's mother to be the winner, they separated and went their separate ways. Until approximately 12 months before Mata was born, where they got together once more and decided to settle down and train the next great Scrabble player. The trouble was that there was no one worthy or young enough to train as such. So they decided to have a child and train said child from an early age.

Hence, Mata was born of two extremely good Scrabble players and has the genetic structure to support his Scrabble genius. All through his early years, he was only given the Scrabble blocks to play with and after entering Primary School was finally given the board to play on. This has led him to a yet unmeasured Scrabble prowess that will never be fully realized as the Universe Scrabble Tour no longer exists due to some rather inexplicable reasons.

So, all who face him in Scrabulous will receive such a lashing that they may never recover. Unless of course you happen to be a librarian or English major with at least a Masters Degree.
Novander
Mata: Facebook may call it a friend request, but I call it a gauntlet being thrown. May the widest vocabulary win.
Mata
I'm not as good as she says, honestly! I'm just occasionally lucky with the letters that turn up at the right times.

Either that or it's aliens beaming words into my head, trying to communicate through random *seeming* phrases.
Izzy
I beat him. biggrin.gif
Smiler
QUOTE (Mata @ Jan 30 2008, 11:44 PM) *
I'm not as good as she says

LIES!!! That or the 'luck' must just be more abundent on your connection.

BTW Jonman is just as bad. I got seriosly troused!
Mata
Nov has just started a game with a seven letter word, so that's going to take a bit of catching up from!

There is definitely skill involved in Scrabble, but there is also a lot of luck too. A bad player can do pretty well if they get good letters, but sometimes you could be on your best form ever and if you never get a good hand there's very little you can do: skill might make you do okay, but you're never going to win.
Daria
Oddly enough, I do better when playing with a real scrabble set. And it's NOT because I cheat. Promise! biggrin.gif
Moosh
QUOTE (Daria @ Jan 31 2008, 05:23 PM) *
Oddly enough, I do better when playing with a real scrabble set. And it's NOT because I cheat. Promise! biggrin.gif

I beat you on an RL scrabble set biggrin.gif

I tend to vary enormously on scrabulous, sometimes I get big scores, sometimes I lose terribly.
Smiler
I'm pretty much the same. Sometimes I play really well and sometimes the tiles just don't fall right. Such as in life you just have to make the best of yourr chosen tiles.

A message to us all??? Or babling gibberish??? Hmmm...
Daria
QUOTE (CheeseMoose @ Jan 31 2008, 05:34 PM) *
QUOTE (Daria @ Jan 31 2008, 05:23 PM) *

I beat you on an RL scrabble set biggrin.gif

I tend to vary enormously on scrabulous, sometimes I get big scores, sometimes I lose terribly.

It was French Scrabble- no one can REALLY say it is a "real" set. C'mon rolleyes.gif
gothictheysay
Nov is also ridiculously good. I read that first post and thought "hey, that sounds like Nov!" I didn't think Nov would have a bigger vocabulary than me, but maybe he does. You know what also helps? Playing off triples and doubles and such. I think that's where most of the points-trouncing comes him. So I will admit that he's better at that than me...
Novander
Make use of the two-letter words list as much as possible and always take the triples and the double word scores; even if you can't do much with them it stops your opponent using them. I don't cheat, but I wouldn't call what I do playing with honour.

It's not vocabulary at all; I'm sure you could all kick my arse at real scrabble. A lot of the time I have no idea what the word I just played means. I'm just all "Oh man, if ZURFS was a real word I'd get like 50 points for this. I'm gonna try it."

Also, a lot of luck.

(In case you're wondering, ZURFS is a legal word and I got 70 points for it)
Pikasyuu
Nov, I think Mata read this right before he took his turn on our game - a fifteen point 'Yo'? Hahaha. Oh man.
Mata
I do some of the mutliplier stealing tactics, but I do also make plays to open up the board as much as I can too. Sometimes there's nothing that can be done though; Nov is completely trouncing me at the moment and I don't think I've had a single decent word in the whole game yet!
I_am_the_best
Ah, the best game of Scrabulous was when the dictionary stopped working a couple of words in for some reason or other. We began to figure when words such as 'azoned' were accepted. So instead we played Kadagol Scrabble - where you can only use a word that a) isn't real and b ) you can find a meaning for it. We had 'itmagicqueenix' down the left hand side going through 3 triples, it was great. (Itmagicqueenix is a campaign for the jam 'Queenix - made from the brain of a lynx which has been stewed for several hours with gooseberries'. It's telling the children to eat queenix. There were scares that the production of it was unethical so the company made adverts depicting a lynx being put in a blender and then a jar of Queenix coming out and being all 'it magic!')

Yeps.
Mata
I reread my last post and that sounded like I was saying that Nov is only winning because I've got crap letters: just to clarify, he also appears to be bloomin' good at Scrabulous. (I do also have crap letters!)
gothictheysay
Yeah, I don't ask Nov to play scrabble with me, I ask him if he feels like destroying me. The best I've done is to get the scores somewhat close.

I was playing Scrabble New Year's morning and from the beginning we played without points. Later on, we started to edit our words a little bit, resulting in inventions such as "jivetoad" and "chawq".
Novander
QUOTE (gothictheysay @ Feb 2 2008, 10:03 PM) *
Yeah, I don't ask Nov to play scrabble with me, I ask him if he feels like destroying me. The best I've done is to get the scores somewhat close.

I just looked at your stats and I think you're exaggerating a bit here. You've beaten me twice just in your last 20 games. (That's the last 20 you've played with anyone. I'm not implying it's 18-2 to me)
Ashbless
As I've been sucked into the evil morass that is facebook - mayhap I'll have to seek out Mata and confirm that he is as you say.
Novander
QUOTE (Ashbless @ Feb 10 2008, 04:56 AM) *
mayhap I'll have to seek out Mata and confirm that he is as you say.

He's not. :p
Mata
I used to sometimes play backgammon with an old friend of mine. He would say to the dice what he needed to role, then he would get it about half the time. The odds against him rolling double sixes so many times when he asked for them were astronomical.

Nov's skill at Scrabble feels a bit like that, he is playing very well, using the board excellently and making (what I assume to be) very good use of his letters, but on the other hand I seem to consistently have six vowels in my hand when I'm playing against him. Although I don't doubt he would usually beat me anyway, the odds also seem in his favour. I suspect he made a rather unusual deal with Satan.
Novander
The tiles are not favouring me at the moment... I'm playing against Izzy and two moves into the game she's already played a Q and a Z both on multipliers. I'm two points ahead at the moment, but she has a move in hand; I have a bad feeling about the direction this game is headed in. Curse Satan and his ever-so-specific legal contracts.
Izzy
QUOTE (Novander @ Feb 11 2008, 08:50 PM) *
The tiles are not favouring me at the moment... I'm playing against Izzy and two moves into the game she's already played a Q and a Z both on multipliers. I'm two points ahead at the moment, but she has a move in hand; I have a bad feeling about the direction this game is headed in. Curse Satan and his ever-so-specific legal contracts.

If you hadn't done 'Sworn' I'd be so far ahead. I hoped you didn't have an S, R, D or blank.
Quaker + Razored on a double word score would have been so sweet.
Moosh
QUOTE (Novander @ Feb 12 2008, 01:50 AM) *

Ah that's just Izzy, she's a Scrabulous Hustler. She kicks my ass totally every time we play, and she's never lost to anyone else either.

(Hah Izzy, now (hopefully) you'll get challenged by everyone, and finally lose a game)
Izzy
QUOTE (CheeseMoose @ Feb 12 2008, 10:05 AM) *
QUOTE (Novander @ Feb 12 2008, 01:50 AM) *

Ah that's just Izzy, she's a Scrabulous Hustler. She kicks my ass totally every time we play, and she's never lost to anyone else either.

(Hah Izzy, now (hopefully) you'll get challenged by everyone, and finally lose a game)

Ha. You wish. I've been nerd-anized by Mr. C and now pwn at Scrabble. biggrin.gif
Izzy
I'm playing against one of my friends from school right now, and I think it's my best game ever. Challengers of Izzy beware. 240 to 76... Oh my god.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g98/girl...Ninaisdying.jpg

*edit* Wow, Safira's dying too. 328 to 144. I think I'm getting good at this. tongue.gif

*edit again* Now I'm playing with Eli. He takes forever, and it's kind of funny. Because he really doesn't want to lose.
Eli
Just you watch Izzy, I'll take you down just like I did with that little girl in the lunchline.
Izzy
Course you will. Still your move. And quit asking me if words are words.
Mata
Words are usually words. If they weren't then they'd be chairs, or something else.
PsychWardMike
Turns out he just beat me.

Damn you Mata. Damn you.
Moosh
Nooo, I was winning, but Mata's just taken the lead and my current letters are pitiful. I'm starting to think he might beat me as well.
michael1384
Might have to try this 'scrabulous'...
Izzy
You've never played?! Try it! It's strangely addictive for your first few games, but gets stressful once you've got 4 or 5 going at a time.
Especially if you're losing one. *glares at Nov*
Novander
QUOTE (Izzy @ Feb 16 2008, 12:07 AM) *
Especially if you're losing one. *glares at Nov*

*Innocents*
Eli
Now you know how I feel Izzy. I'm losing to you by like a hundread points because of your 7-letter words!
Izzy
Eli, you should be happy. I beat Nina by like 200 points. She pretty much sucks, and I think I pulled off two 7-letter words on her. smile.gif

You, me, Nina, and Safira should definitely all play together. That would be insane.
Novander
I am about to lose to Izzy by a single point. She's done the math. She knows exactly what letters I have and where I have to play them. I don't think I'd mind so much if she totally kicked my ass, but a single point?

/me sadfaces.
Izzy
I am so freaking happy right now. That was a great game, man. Great game. You had me mad and swearing at Scrabulous for most of the time in the middle, but wow.

And I counted something wrong. 320 - 318.

Awesome game dude. biggrin.gif

*edit* Playing another game with Nov right now. This'll be interesting.
Novander
QUOTE (Izzy @ Feb 22 2008, 12:41 AM) *
And I counted something wrong. 320 - 318.

That actually makes me feel a whole lot better.

I've started a re-match but I'm going to bed now; 'tis quarter to one here and I have work tomorrow (admittedly work starts at 2pm, but still).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.