Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Disease
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
MisterJ
Hey, I was just curious, is there a real disease called (not sure how to spell it but it is pronounced see-pah). It's supposed to refer to a condition where the person cannot feel any pain/warnings, like coldness, or when they need to go to the toilet, etc.
I saw it on House, and was just wandering if anybody knows anything about, as you can imagine, it's hard to google it if i dont know the spelling... Thanks. smile.gif
Pikasyuu
there is a condition where a person can't feel any pain. it has something to do with numb nerve endings or something similar, so when they're babies, they need constant monitoring to make sure they don't chew and/or burn/cut/etc themselves. if it's pronounced see-pah, it's either short for something or an acronym, like CEPA.

if this actually turns into a discussion ABOUT the disease (which hopefully it will, since I find this stuff really interesting), i'll move it to issues.
Kitty
I remember that episode of House. See if you can find the name of the episode, and then look it up on wikipedia, they'll have a full summary.
Moosh
CIPA - Congenital Insensitivity to Pain with Anhidrosis

Wikipedia article
MisterJ
Thanks for that, I just was a but curious about it and wanted to read about it. smile.gif
Ashbless
There was a minor character in Spider Robinson's Callahan books that had that disorder. I wonder if he was part of the group that became bulletproof?

/trivia
Mata
How odd, I was being told about that series of books last night.

(I thought I'd share my surprise at this coincidence with you all.)
EvilSpork
Well, I know it's not the same at all, but have you heard of Wim Hof? He's done some crazy stuff with cold. Like sitting in an ice bath for over an hour and his body temperature doesn't drop. It's related to meditation more than anything, but rather than not feeling cold he doesn't get cold. I imagine he feels it though blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.