Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Icky Smelling Air
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > The Issues Forum
Izzy
Not that pollution is new or anything, but has any one else noticed that the air is starting to smell dirty? It could totally just be because of all the fires we've been having here lately (thank you arsonist druggie...), but it's been smelling gross for a while now. I remember being like "I'm gonna go outside and get some fresh air", but now taking deep breaths is just disgusting. dry.gif /rantish

Cars and cigarettes to blame? Forest fires? Something else?

Thoughts?
MisterJ
I really do believe this sort of matter is very serious. Not only is it unpleasant, but it could actually leave the health of numerous people in danger.
And as much as I am a lover of cool cars I do hope that in the future hydrogen cars will become more accessible and readily used.
You probably get them now, but only if your willing to shovel out a hundred grand or so for a small town car with mediocre looks and performance. wink.gif
EvilSpork
We're having war over oil now... If we produce hydrogen cars, wars over water will begin eventually. We're already on short supply with water, if you think about it.
Izzy
I'm hoping gas prices go up enough that people just bike places unless they have to go really long distances. It's better for them and the environment. I bike like, everywhere. That has nothing to do with me not being old enough to drive.
I_am_the_best
Belgium, for over here.
elphaba2
Where I live there are trees everywhere and it doesn't smell strongly of anything until you get down towards the river, and sometimes that is a good thing (faint brine scent! smell of dirt & progress!) or a bad thing (wheeeeff what died in the river today?). But last summer there was that nasty smell throughout NYC, and I swear I got a couple whiffs.

Capt. Izz--you live in Orlando, right? I can't really think of a more highly trafficked area, so I'm not surprised that you guys get some stank every now and then. More cars = more exhaust = more stank. But do you really want tourists biking into buses when their Mickey hats get in their eyes? Much more effective would be more widespread use of transit (and more transit--Florida's got one of the worst public-t systems in the country) I think.
Izzy
QUOTE (elphaba2 @ May 17 2008, 06:44 PM) *
But do you really want tourists biking into buses when their Mickey hats get in their eyes? Much more effective would be more widespread use of transit (and more transit--Florida's got one of the worst public-t systems in the country) I think.

Only the lame ones that actually buy those Disney hats*. And... Transit? Tourists should just fact. In fact, they do. Orlando's like insanely flat so it's not like it's hard..

*This does not include any Matazonian that has ever or will ever purchase a Disney hat. You guys are cool no matter what fashion mistakes you make.
EvilSpork
QUOTE (Izzy @ May 16 2008, 09:56 PM) *
I'm hoping gas prices go up enough that people just bike places unless they have to go really long distances. It's better for them and the environment. I bike like, everywhere. That has nothing to do with me not being old enough to drive.

I'm currently riding my bike around 80 miles or more per week.

/spam
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.