Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Friday the 13th
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
leopold
Some of you will be looking at this and thinking, "What the heck is that Leo playing at? It's not Friday yet!", and in theory you'd be right. Except it is, and you're wrong. In that mythical place of the future, also known as the South Pacific, it's Friday right now, so technically it's relevant.

Anyway, enough of the wittering. As we all may or may not know, Friday the 13th isn't just a series of progressively dreadful horror films, but an amalgamation of two separate fears.

The number 13 is, as most people know, considered unlucky because there were 13 people at the last supper, the 13th guest being Judas. The extent of this superstition is so that there is an official term, triskaidekaphobia, which is certainly unlucky for any poor sod who has this phobia and has to spell it!

Friday is considered an unlucky day to do many things, including getting married, having a haircut, moving house or giving birth. This comes from the notion that many bad things happened on Fridays:
  • Adam and Eve ate the apple
  • Jesus was crucified
  • In Muslim cultures, it was the day Adam was created
  • In Britain, it was the day all hangings used to take place

So, the two together are quite a potent combination for bad things to occur. So much so that some people have a phobia of the day itself - paraskevidekatriaphobia. Phew!

So why am I telling you all this? Basically, because I want to conduct an experiment, to ultimately prove or disprove whether this superstition has any grounds.

I want everyone who has something unlucky happen to them today to tell us about it. Maybe you lost some money, or got fired, or got hit by a passing light aircraft. Whatever bad luck you had, big or small, I want to hear about it.

Conversely, and somewhat perversely, I'd also like to hear about any good luck you had. Perhaps you found some money, got hired, or escaped being hit by a light aircraft due to some freak weather condition. Again, whether it's finding a penny or winning the lottery, I want to hear about it.

It doesn't even have to be this Friday. Any tales, good or bad, of any Friday 13th, it's all good.

But the condition is, it has to happen on Friday 13th.
Mata
My mother was born on Friday 13th, and she has me as a son... Which is either lucky or unlucky. I'm not sure.

So far today has gone fine. Sues, my gf, had a job interview this morning and that went okay. So far so good.

Oh, except for craving for human flesh. Is anyone else getting that?
Izzy
Okay, I'm going to do this Roses and Thorn style. The day's only just begun, so I'll add a bit later.

Rose: Woke up at 7.
Roseish: Had a weird dream about school.
Rose: My mom's working a 12 hour shift.

Thorn: Spongebob is playing in the other room.
Thorn: Period started.
elphaba2
QUOTE (Mata @ Jun 13 2008, 08:22 AM) *
My mother was born on Friday 13th

Mine too! Que weird.

As of yet, it's been a highly lucky day. I have one class in a bit, got to sleep in three hours later than usual, and I think the chances are pretty low that I will have an insult-war in Spanish with some prostituta friend of mine in front of a bunch of conservative Ecuadorians.

Because that was yesterday.
voices_in_my_head
ooh, it's off to a bad start.

I'm sick and have a horrible migrane, and a painful sunburn (again...)

however
Today is also one of my best friend's birthdays so...it could take a turn for the better.
bug0112
I went out for the first time today in my new car...and stalled four times in a row WITH another car waiting behind me.

Can't really think of anything paticularly lucky...
leopold
QUOTE (Mata @ Jun 13 2008, 01:22 PM) *
Oh, except for craving for human flesh. Is anyone else getting that?

No, but then I live near a cemetry and I could see all the dead folk walking, so I locked the door and hid under the bed so they couldn't get me.
Izzy
And the day has only gotten worse.

I lost all my money in both Facebook Poker and Black Jack, and I just accidentally poked myself in the eye whilst trying to move my hair.
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
I got out of work 37 and a half minutes early!
LoLo
My day has just started....I've slept in..am still in PJs so it's good so far. The only bad thing is I couldn't spell "hanging" correctly or my name correctly when responding to an email about hanging out some time with one of my friends. Hmmmm social life? maybe.
Industrial Kybosh
Today was a clusterf@cking trainwreck on the phones. Every system went wrong one at a time, and then all at once. I could barely tell the sweat from the tears after an hour or so. Bloody 13th.

Quiet now, though. Just in time for me to go home... dry.gif
I_am_the_best
It's not particularly unlucky, but I was hit with a super-tiredness when I returned home and have been asleep for the past 3 hours.

I also had a long discussion about devil-children with some friends (The Omen, Rosemary's Baby, a particular child in our school), before recognising that it was Friday the 13th.

So essentially, nothing has happened which is either lucky or unlucky.
gothictheysay
it's not over yet, obviously...
the first five hours I was awake, and I won a $20 gas card at the school-hosted afterprom thing. The only bad luck was being habitually annoyed by some strange kid. Went home, crashed, woke up and opened up a card from my grandma containing $500 for graduation this Sunday.

So I'd say I've had some good luck so far wink.gif I'm afraid to go out driving again, though... my bad luck would probably kick in there.
EvilSpork
Work has been busy today, but that's not really unlucky. Orientation is going on for the next five weeks (starting last week) so this is pretty regular.

I'll give any luck or lack thereof updates.

Edit: Oh poop I made the 13th post.
Pab
I've had a really good day. I have been teaching "senior citizens" how to defend themselves against computers, and today was the last day until september, so they took me out for lunch. I then went home, had a Grade_A 90 minute bath with Top gear reruns, went out with me mates, and got minorly chatted up by the local fauna which is good for the waning ego, and finally got home pissed, satisfied and by taxi, just in time to peck my better half on the cheek before she woke up wondering if I got back safely, to at last post on here to say , once and for all, that Friday the 13th is no worse than what one makes of it.

I've always thought, simplisticly, that Friday the 13th _must_ cast a bad light on Thursday the 12th, and they've never really been a problem either ...
Pikasyuu
I've had a fairly lucky day: I've already gotten $20 for no good reason, and I'm being taken shopping in a few.

That, and E!'s The Soup is on at ten. That's always good luck in syuu-world..
voices_in_my_head
That's it. Worst day ever. Sick and tired...and then all of this:

1. friend (who I should mention..is a girl) admits to having a huge crush on me and ask me out. (Should also mention that I'm not interested in her in that way. was awkward.)
2. Parents got rid of ALL of my pets for no reason - they were well taken care of and I loved them. They did not tell me about this change and I only recently found out from my sister while looking for my cat...who I needed to cuddle with due to above bad news.
3. Great friend ditched me in favour of drinking. Thanks. Not such a great friend.

this day has been deemed officially unlucky.
(For comparison here is the good about today: Friend's b-day, watched a good movie, got to talk to a friend I haven't seen in awhile.)
LoLo
QUOTE (syuu @ Jun 13 2008, 07:03 PM) *
That, and E!'s The Soup is on at ten. That's always good luck in syuu-world..

Mmmmmmmmmm Joel Mchale...

My Friday the 13th was uneventful but my Saturday the 14th sucked. 2:30 in the morning cops were ringing the doorbell to tell us that they thought a suspect in a gang shooting was hiding in our back yard so they were back there searching. One of the girls at work called in sick so I was short staffed on a relatively busy day. My boss is trying to fix me up with a 23 year old guy who is supposedly a former pothead, though most potheads don't move to California to clean up they move here to get better pot. So now she's going to be mad at me for not coming to a party where her teenage daughter and her teenage friends will be hanging out playing ping pong.
leopold
You know, after making this thread, you'd think I'd have made more effort to catch up with it!

QUOTE (Mata @ Jun 13 2008, 01:22 PM) *
So far today has gone fine. Sues, my gf, had a job interview this morning and that went okay. So far so good.

Nice one. Did Sues get the job in the end or are you still waiting?

QUOTE (Izzy @ Jun 13 2008, 05:35 PM) *
I lost all my money in both Facebook Poker and Black Jack, and I just accidentally poked myself in the eye whilst trying to move my hair. [/color]

My advice is to stop gambling. Seriously. And keep an eye on your fingers, but not literally wink.gif

QUOTE (Industrial Kybosh @ Jun 13 2008, 06:44 PM) *
Today was a clusterf@cking trainwreck on the phones. Every system went wrong one at a time, and then all at once. I could barely tell the sweat from the tears after an hour or so. Bloody 13th.

Meh, that's a typical Friday thing. When I worked in support it was common for systems to just wantomly break down on a Friday. Unfortunately my systems never came back up before hometime, so in a way you were lucky.

QUOTE (syuu @ Jun 14 2008, 03:03 AM) *
I've already gotten $20 for no good reason

Nothing better than getting money for nothing. Except getting chicks for free laugh.gif

QUOTE (voices_in_my_head @ Jun 14 2008, 05:18 AM) *
That's it. Worst day ever. Sick and tired...and then all of this:

Yes, you had a bad day. I'll give you that one, it sounded pretty damn horrible

QUOTE (LoLo @ Jun 15 2008, 03:35 AM) *
My Friday the 13th was uneventful but my Saturday the 14th sucked

Yeah, mine too. I had an operation.

On the whole, I think there was a good mix of good and bad. So anyone with parast... paress... pariska... that fear of Friday 13th can now officially relax, as it's all bunkum!
Industrial Kybosh
QUOTE (leopold @ Jul 3 2008, 04:21 PM) *
QUOTE (Industrial Kybosh @ Jun 13 2008, 06:44 PM) *

Meh, that's a typical Friday thing. When I worked in support it was common for systems to just wantomly break down on a Friday. Unfortunately my systems never came back up before hometime, so in a way you were lucky.

We have a day like that. We call it Monday. The systems generally go nipples-skyward as the stores I support have all their weekend staff performing delicate operations. Seeing as the weekenders are generally coaxed into store from the zoo using peanuts and bananas, this means that these delicate systems suffer a full two days of battering from furry simian hands, and unsurprisingly decide to take the next day off to recuperate.

I try to avoid the Monday morning shift at all costs.
Izzy
QUOTE (leopold @ Jul 3 2008, 11:21 AM) *
QUOTE (Izzy @ Jun 13 2008, 05:35 PM) *
I lost all my money in both Facebook Poker and Black Jack, and I just accidentally poked myself in the eye whilst trying to move my hair.

My advice is to stop gambling. Seriously. And keep an eye on your fingers, but not literally wink.gif

And I might listen. If I hadn't already made back my money and more. smile.gif
Industrial Kybosh
I presume the money was recouped via gambling, unless you found someone to pay you to poke yourself in the eye. Not a wise career move, I can tell you. I still have the bruises...
leopold
Yeah, but I enjoyed it. Best fiver I ever spent! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.