Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hypnosis
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Personal concerns
I_am_the_best
I'm aware that there is already a thread here about this, but I want to start a new one, so there we go.

For all life that I can remember, I've suffered from an anxiety-related disorder (which I would rather not state) that is severely limiting to me and also potentially harmful to my body - a sort of phobia if you will. Unfortunately, because of this, I am having to cancel going on a tour with my bands (which I've already paid for). I would like to go, but it's only in a week.

I haven't tried therapy about it before because only after a recent event have my parents fully understood the potential dangers to me or have I told them completely about it.

I would really love to go on this tour but due to the nature of it, by the end of it I will (with no exaggeration - honestly!) be in hospital or dead. I have three (or a mixture of) options: visiting a psychologist, drugs and hypnotherapy.

I don't think the problem will disappear so quickly by seeing a psychologist within the next week (although I intend to with or without the tour), and I'm unwilling to take drugs because beta-blockers are said to remove the passion in your playing (for music) and I'm scared they won't work and I'll be stuck.

Hypnosis seems to me to be quite magical. It just cures you, just like that. Is this true? What are peoples' experiences with it? Does it take more than one session?

Awesome, thank you!
Mata
Hypnosis can sometimes work just like that, but with something that has such a large effect on you it would probably take longer. What it could do quite quickly is introduce you to lots of effective ways of distracting yourself from whatever the cause of the phobia is.

Phobias, by their nature, are irrational (otherwise they would be rational fears, and those are built into us for good reasons), so a good hypnotist can help your mind get past some of the irrationality.

I've dabbled with hypnotherapy for friends in the past, and helped a friend get over a fear of travelling in cars. Essentially my technique was to reassure her that there are rational times to be afraid in cars, such as when they are speeding or being driven dangerously, but to be aware that at other times she is safe. Helping her see the line between what was a rational fear and an irrational one got her past it in one session! Then again, I don't think her fear was as bad as yours sounds.

Hypnosis for phobias usually helps you find a way of calming you in critical moments, to help you control your feelings. How quickly these could be made to work for you really depends on what the fear is.

Hypnosis isn't cheap, but it can produce some very good results. Like anything it requires some willpower from you. There are various administrative councils for hypnotists in the UK, so make sure you can one with decent accreditation and experience because there is a big difference between someone who can talk soothingly and someone who can produce therapeutic results.
I_am_the_best
(Although it's not very ineteresting) I've just had my first hypnosis session! I was taught self-hypnosis to reach a trance state, although at the moment I can't quite see where it can come in with helping me! I think hopefully we'll move on to 'rehearsal' where you take a scenario where you might have difficulty then when in a trance like state, re-live it how you would like to. I'm quite excited about this, it can help you in all areas!
Mata
Self-hypnosis can be used to help relax you in situations where you feel you will be encountering the problem. Without knowing what the issue is, I can't say whether that's practically applicable for you, but I think that's probably the idea.

Yes, hypnosis can work on many areas of your life, increasing everything from your ability to concentrate through sleep patterns to self-confidence. As always, make sure you've got someone good helping you. Check the credentials if you haven't already.

I'm very pleased to hear that it's going well for you smile.gif
-TheKasbah-
I actually learnt some self hypnosis and how to hypnotise others a while back, just over a year or so. I wasn't sure whether it would work or not but surprisingly it did. The self hypnosis helps me to get through some things, so I really think that if you can master that effectively it could help you a lot and not lighten your wallet too much as hiring someone else to do it for you does cost quite a lot. Good luck.
Jack Ocean
Hypnosis is natural relax state of mind. Hypnosis is physically, mentally, and emotionally relaxing state of body. Hypnosis doesn't mean sleep, but a state where body is almost at sleep state and mind is completely active

Our brain operates on four different states. These four states of mind determined by the frequency of the electricity (Brain waves) generated by the exchange of chemicals in the neural pathways.

Hypnosis helps everyday people overcome everyday problems and can help you succeed when nothing else has worked. Hypnosis is one of the fastest growing fields of human achievement. As hypnotherapies, we are working with people who are frustrated because nothing else has helped them achieve their goals. They have tried every other avenue that they can think of without success. We use hypnosis, hypnotherapy and teach self-hypnosis so that people like you can succeed in making important changes.

With hypnosis, you are able to unlock the power of the mind to create lasting positive changes in your life. Hypnosis has been approved by the American Medical Association since 1958 and is the key to unlocking your potential and coping with life's challenges.

[Hypnosis-links related spammer - I'm not sure what they're getting from it, but I've removed the links from their post anyway - Mata]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.