Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nomic
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft > Games
Pages: 1, 2
CrazyFooIAintGettinOnNoPlane
Anyone wanna play?

For those that haven't heard of it, a nomic is a game where the very boring initial set of rules is changed by the players as the game progresses.

I've tried to keep the starting rules as simple as possible, but it might not stay that way for long...

Current players:
Me
Yannick
michael1384
voices_in_my_head
Eli

Current rules:
  • Anyone can join at any time by announcing they are playing.
  • Players must always follow the rules currently in effect.
  • A player can take their turn at any time, providing at least one other player has played since their last turn.
  • On each turn a player makes a new post in which they propose a new rule for the game or change an existing one. They should select the "?" post icon (below the bit where you type on the post reply page) for this, to distinguish it from off-topic ramblings.
  • Every time a rule change is proposed, all other players have 24 hours to vote yes or no. The player who suggested the rule change cannot edit their post and any votes after this period do not count. If the majority vote yes, then the rule is accepted and added to the list of rules, otherwise it is rejected.
  • If two rules conflict, use the newer one.
  • New players start with 0 awesome-points and a roll of duct tape.
  • The winner is the last person remaining in the game.
  • There needs to be >2 players to play.
  • At the end of each post the poster must include a description of at least one thing that they're wearing.
  • Posts made on tuesdays cannot contain the letter 'e'
  • Every post has to have at least 1 letter q,x, or z in an actual word.
nobody? sad.gif
Yannick
Umm.. I'll play, but I don't really know what to do.. I read the Wiki page, something about changing rules and stuff?
yep thats pretty much it!

I just made up the above set of rules so we have something to start with. You can either change them in some way, or make up a new one.
Yannick
Oh, alright then. How many people do we need?
well... just two, with the current rules...
Yannick
..Okay..

I erm, propose a rule change saying that we need more players to play?
lol.. so thats 3 players to play?

ok I'll vote yes then, and hope we find a 3rd player!
Yannick
*pokes Eli*

*pokes other people*
michael1384
I'll play. I think I get it.
voices_in_my_head
Hmm. The only thing I don't get is, exactly what type of rules are the right kind to put into order?

For example, do they have to directly effect that game (ex: A player must wait *two* post before going again) or, can they simply effect what happens during the game (ex: Each post must include whatever song you're listening to at the time.)?
Eli
I'll play, it sounds pretty simple. (But I want to know the answer to that question ^ too)
The rules can be anything not explicitly forbidden by the rules biggrin.gif

So both those examples would be fine.
voices_in_my_head
Alright, I'm down to play. smile.gif

As a new rule, I propose that at the end of each post the poster must include a description of at least one thing that they're wearing.
I vote yes, but what if you're not wearing any clothing!?

My suggestion for a new rule:
Posts made on tuesdays cannot contain the letter 'e'
michael1384
I vote yes on both of those.
voices_in_my_head
hah, Epidermis counts if you're otherwise nude! biggrin.gif

And I vote yes to the tuesday rule.
Yannick
I vote yes to the clothing rule, no to the letter E rule.

Also, what's the duct tape for?
Ok looks like both of those rules have been accepted.

I'm wearing a Samurai Lapin t-shirt smile.gif
Yannick
So on Tuesdays, do we just type like, "hllo my nam is Izzy" or can we just not use words containing the letter e whatsoever?

Oh man, just got home from soccer. A very sweaty Ramones t-shirt with a hole under the left arm-pit and green/white Under Armour shorts.
michael1384
I suppos that is th cas ys. What can w do with our awsom points?

I am waring a t-shirt with a koala on it and jeans.
Yannick
Heh, I got bored in the shower and came up with "Look at my cool post for the third day of the 7 day thing. Oh man. Yuh. Pwnd losa."

Black long sleeve shirt that I sleep in.
Eli
Every post has to have at least 1 letter q,x, or z in an actual word.

Sweats pants with a plain white t-shirt.
I was thinking of avoiding words with that symbol in, but nothing stops you from simply dropping it from all your words smile.gif

I think various occasions of violating laws occurred prior to this post, but right now no ramifications follow from this.

I say yay for that proposition about including q,x and z.

I had a notion: following activation of your law, you must post all laws which now apply

I am now inhabiting an xkcd shirt.
Yannick
How brilliant of you.

I say yay for both thoughts in the posts prior to this post.

What violations did us playing folk do so far? (Oh god that sounds horrid)

My right foot has on two black soxs.
actually you didn't, I forgot it was still monday with your clock configuration unsure.gif

my foot has a mostly gray sock on it
michael1384
So is the entire game just making up rules?

I vote yes to the x, q, or whatever rule.

I am wearing a rather embarrassing microsoft shirt that my mum bought back from work thinking I would like. And jeans.
Yannick
..It's T-Day, and Michal said... umm... you know. The 5th thing in the thing that has 26 things. The thing that is.. Damn what's that word.. post-something to D. You know, A, B, C, D, _...

Hmm... You undoubtfully know what I'm trying to say..

..Is Michal out?

I just put on a coat with a zip-up front part.
Eli
Yah today is that day you can't play with that thing...what Izzy said or was trying to say. So if you go agaisnt the things that you cant go against, do you not play again?

Part of my body that usually has a shirt on it has a blank t-shirt with word zoo on it.
Heh... as I said, we don't have a rule for what to do with rule-breakers, so you're ok for now Michael... and yes, the whole game is just making rules (unless you change the making up rules rule)

This is getting quite complicated...

I'm wearing my only pair of jeans that still fit sad.gif
Yannick
I suggest that if a person breaks a rule twice, they lose.

Wearing totally sexy jeans.
sirdudly
I'm in. I vote nay on the rule breaker rule. It seems like a sleazy way of weeding out the inattentive on these forums.
and I'm wearing red shorts.
My rule got 1 yes vote so heres the current list of rules:
  • Anyone can join at any time by announcing they are playing.
  • Players must always follow the rules currently in effect.
  • A player can take their turn at any time, providing at least one other player has played since their last turn.
  • On each turn a player makes a new post in which they propose a new rule for the game or change an existing one. They should select the "?" post icon (below the bit where you type on the post reply page) for this, to distinguish it from off-topic ramblings.
  • Every time a rule change is proposed, all other players have 24 hours to vote yes or no. The player who suggested the rule change cannot edit their post and any votes after this period do not count. If the majority vote yes, then the rule is accepted and added to the list of rules, otherwise it is rejected.
  • If two rules conflict, use the newer one.
  • New players start with 0 awesome-points and a roll of duct tape.
  • The winner is the last person remaining in the game.
  • There needs to be >2 players to play.
  • At the end of each post the poster must include a description of at least one thing that they're wearing.
  • Posts made on tuesdays cannot contain the letter 'e'
  • Every post has to have at least 1 letter q,x, or z in an actual word.
  • following activation of your law, you must post all laws which now apply
I think Izzy's rule is too mean, but I think there should eventually be a way to lose. It could be based on points, except noone actually has any yet, so here's my new rule:

Any time someone points out when another person is breaking the rules, they get 2 points and the rule breaker loses 5 points. They should write both players new score somewhere in their post when they do this.

If the rule breaker objects to this, then there is a vote on whether they should lose the points. (The two people involved cannot vote) Players can change their vote at any point. After 24 hours if it's a tie or the majority have voted no, then the accused player gets their points back.

Wearing another xkcd t shirt cool.gif
Yannick
I vote yes to that.

Okay, how about at the end of your post, you have to include what you've eaten so far that day?

Wearing a Quicksilver hat. Sort of, it's on my knee.
I vote no on that one... the clothes one is bad enough, its getting a bit too big-brother-is-watching-you-ish for my liking tongue.gif

wearing: the same pair of jeans I always wear...uh.. zany jeans ph34r.gif
michael1384
I vote no as well. Too much in a post. I agree with crazymats suggestion.

I am wearing a space invaders t-shirt and jeans.

Xylophones are cool.
voices_in_my_head
I vote yes on both proposed laws. smile.gif

I am wearing a Kurt Cobain t-shirt, and am feeling slightly quixotic.
Yannick
Yay a yes.

And this totally counts as clothing, my right arm has a bunch of math formulas written on it. I still have to take the quiz.
sirdudly
I vote no for the food idea. But, since it's been more than 24 hours since it was proposed, it prolly wont count. Therefore, I propose a rule that people may still continue to vote on any item past the normal 24 hour period until someone declares the rule change to be official or not official in a post with a vote tally as well as an updated list of rules.
I was eating an english muffin which made quite the mess on my green t-shirt.
I am voting yay for that.

Oops I forgot to post our laws again...
  • Anyon[bad symbol] can join at any time by announcing th[bad symbol]y ar[bad symbol] playing.
  • Play[bad symbol]rs must always follow th[bad symbol] rul[bad symbol]s curr[bad symbol]ntly in [bad symbol]ff[bad symbol]ct.
  • A play[bad symbol]r can tak[bad symbol] th[bad symbol]ir turn at any tim[bad symbol], providing at l[bad symbol]ast on[bad symbol] oth[bad symbol]r play[bad symbol]r has play[bad symbol]d sinc[bad symbol] th[bad symbol]ir last turn.
  • On [bad symbol]ach turn a play[bad symbol]r mak[bad symbol]s a n[bad symbol]w post in which th[bad symbol]y propos[bad symbol] a n[bad symbol]w rul[bad symbol] for th[bad symbol] gam[bad symbol] or chang[bad symbol] an [bad symbol]xisting on[bad symbol]. Th[bad symbol]y should s[bad symbol]l[bad symbol]ct th[bad symbol] "?" post icon (b[bad symbol]low th[bad symbol] bit wh[bad symbol]r[bad symbol] you typ[bad symbol] on th[bad symbol] post r[bad symbol]ply pag[bad symbol]) for this, to distinguish it from off-topic ramblings.
  • [BAD SYMBOL]v[bad symbol]ry tim[bad symbol] a rul[bad symbol] chang[bad symbol] is propos[bad symbol]d, all oth[bad symbol]r play[bad symbol]rs hav[bad symbol] 24 hours to vot[bad symbol] y[bad symbol]s or no. Th[bad symbol] play[bad symbol]r who sugg[bad symbol]st[bad symbol]d th[bad symbol] rul[bad symbol] chang[bad symbol] cannot [bad symbol]dit th[bad symbol]ir post and any vot[bad symbol]s aft[bad symbol]r this p[bad symbol]riod do not count. If th[bad symbol] majority vot[bad symbol] y[bad symbol]s, th[bad symbol]n th[bad symbol] rul[bad symbol] is acc[bad symbol]pt[bad symbol]d and add[bad symbol]d to th[bad symbol] list of rul[bad symbol]s, oth[bad symbol]rwis[bad symbol] it is r[bad symbol]j[bad symbol]ct[bad symbol]d.
  • If two rul[bad symbol]s conflict, us[bad symbol] th[bad symbol] n[bad symbol]w[bad symbol]r on[bad symbol].
  • N[bad symbol]w play[bad symbol]rs start with 0 aw[bad symbol]som[bad symbol]-points and a roll of duct tap[bad symbol].
  • Th[bad symbol] winn[bad symbol]r is th[bad symbol] last p[bad symbol]rson r[bad symbol]maining in th[bad symbol] gam[bad symbol].
  • Th[bad symbol]r[bad symbol] n[bad symbol][bad symbol]ds to b[bad symbol] >2 play[bad symbol]rs to play.
  • At th[bad symbol] [bad symbol]nd of [bad symbol]ach post th[bad symbol] post[bad symbol]r must includ[bad symbol] a d[bad symbol]scription of at l[bad symbol]ast on[bad symbol] thing that th[bad symbol]y'r[bad symbol] w[bad symbol]aring.
  • Posts mad[bad symbol] on tu[bad symbol]sdays cannot contain th[bad symbol] l[bad symbol]tt[bad symbol]r '[bad symbol]'
  • [BAD SYMBOL]v[bad symbol]ry post has to hav[bad symbol] at l[bad symbol]ast 1 l[bad symbol]tt[bad symbol]r q,x, or z in an actual word.
  • following activation of your law, you must post all laws which now apply
  • Any tim[bad symbol] som[bad symbol]on[bad symbol] points out wh[bad symbol]n anoth[bad symbol]r p[bad symbol]rson is br[bad symbol]aking th[bad symbol] rul[bad symbol]s, th[bad symbol]y g[bad symbol]t 2 points and th[bad symbol] rul[bad symbol] br[bad symbol]ak[bad symbol]r los[bad symbol]s 5 points. Th[bad symbol]y should writ[bad symbol] both play[bad symbol]rs n[bad symbol]w scor[bad symbol] som[bad symbol]wh[bad symbol]r[bad symbol] in th[bad symbol]ir post wh[bad symbol]n th[bad symbol]y do this.

If th[bad symbol] rul[bad symbol] br[bad symbol]ak[bad symbol]r obj[bad symbol]cts to this, th[bad symbol]n th[bad symbol]r[bad symbol] is a vot[bad symbol] on wh[bad symbol]th[bad symbol]r th[bad symbol]y should los[bad symbol] th[bad symbol] points. (Th[bad symbol] two p[bad symbol]opl[bad symbol] involv[bad symbol]d cannot vot[bad symbol]) Play[bad symbol]rs can chang[bad symbol] th[bad symbol]ir vot[bad symbol] at any point. Aft[bad symbol]r 24 hours if it's a ti[bad symbol] or th[bad symbol] majority hav[bad symbol] vot[bad symbol]d no, th[bad symbol]n th[bad symbol] accus[bad symbol]d play[bad symbol]r g[bad symbol]ts th[bad symbol]ir points back.

Now for a law which I am just writing now!
Grammar-nazis gain 1 point for pointing out wrongdoings in our writing (but can only make a maximum of 1 point from any individual post)

An xkcd anti-raptor shirt is obscuring my body today.
Yannick
Ahh, grammar Nazi time. Mat, I'm afraid that you us[...]d an [...] in your first bull[...]t, sixth word. tongue.gif

I'm w[..]aring a football (Not Am[..]rican) t-shirt, for th[...] third day in a row.
Eli
How about every thursday, each word in your post cannot consist of more then 5 letters and no less then 3.
Yannick
Eli, you broke both the clothing rule and the letter rule.

I vote no to that. I mean, it's not exactly very hard, but it'd be a pain counting all my letters.

I'm quite tired, and am therefore wearing PJs.
darkness
I am playing!

This seems like a good game.

I agree with Eli.

I am wearing my work clothes.

Hopefully this post broke Zero rules.
michael1384
So... what now?

I like xylophones.

I am wearing school uniform.
Yannick
..No idea. *pokes Mat*

I hate xylophones, partly because I suck and can't do anything with them.

Wearing a Quicksilver sweater that I slept in.
Hello!

Um I don't know... make up some new rules I guess!

How about every time someone goes a week without suggesting something they lose 10 points?

I'm wearing socks with holes in them and my toes are quite cold.
Yannick
Hi there!

Sounds good! And I say yes to that.

I also suggest that.. hmm... when you type your post, your hands must be crossed, as in, your right hand is on the left side, and your left on the right.

I'm wearing a blue/yellow Bam t-shirt, boardshorts, and Etnie flip-flops. I'm about to quickly run out through the door.
Eli
*is ignoring the fact that I broke the rules as I refuse to quit the game because I have nothing better to do at the moment*

I agree, yes to that as well and Izzy how would we now if they are really typing criss-crossed? (It isn't really all that hard either, it just takes some time to think about where your fingers are supposed to go.)

Wearing a zebra striped shirt for bed.
Yannick
Zomg, my name has a Z in it. I can just end every post with "-Izzy" and I'm good to go!

Eli - honor system.

Colorful Fox t-shirt.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.