Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boycotting Oprah
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > The Issues Forum
EvilSpork
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/...-boycott-oprah/

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/09/10/go...-to-book-palin/

So, there's a group of republicans boycotting Oprah. I thought it was pretty funny considering Oprah has the power to sway the American economy ("I will never eat another burger" - McDonald's sales drop dramatically overnight). Anyway, I did some searching and I found a few comments which I'll quote.

"Oprah leads Barack Obama raid on women voters. Hillary supporters, we need to boycott Oprah!...–women are upset with her…..she betrayed us for race."

"Oprah is a racist and she betrays the female voice."

"Oprah is hiding behind a technicality to avoid giving equal time to Sarah Palin, as she gave to Barack Obama. She can back whoever she wants, but equal air time is only fair."

"The only thing noteworthy about the vitriol being spewed against Oprah is the amount of typos in her hate mail which speaks to the intelligence of the supporters of Sarah Palin. Do yourselves a favor and stop living in denial that Sarah Palin is qualified to be president. Being an 18 month term governor and a hockey mom does not a vice president make. For every one of you who tunes Oprah out, another will tune in. Good luck with your inevitable failure of a boycott. If you think you can beat Oprah, I have a few cowboys in the meat industry in Texas who will tell you otherwise." (Heh, burger reference)

Anyway, I don't much care for Oprah, but the fact that people think they can boycott her? I find it amusing. It seems petty that people are upset that she will not have Palin on the air. It's her show, it doesn't have to be fair because it isn't a news show. I also find it amusing that it's being made into a race issue (again bringing up Obama's "inexperience" versus Hillary).

Anyway, have at it.
pgrmdave
QUOTE (EvilSpoon @ Sep 15 2008, 03:28 PM) *
Anyway, I don't much care for Oprah, but the fact that people think they can boycott her?

Why wouldn't people be able to boycott her? I think that it is reasonable for people on one side to decide to not watch shows which cater to the other side, and in fact I think that it's good for everybody involved. The more people who stop watching a show, the more likely it will be that it is changed, or even canceled. Now, this might not necessarily happen to Oprah, I highly doubt it, but it's a form of democracy, and a very simple one at that.
EvilSpork
QUOTE (pgrmdave @ Sep 15 2008, 04:22 PM) *
QUOTE (EvilSpoon @ Sep 15 2008, 03:28 PM) *
Anyway, I don't much care for Oprah, but the fact that people think they can boycott her?

Why wouldn't people be able to boycott her? I think that it is reasonable for people on one side to decide to not watch shows which cater to the other side, and in fact I think that it's good for everybody involved. The more people who stop watching a show, the more likely it will be that it is changed, or even canceled. Now, this might not necessarily happen to Oprah, I highly doubt it, but it's a form of democracy, and a very simple one at that.

Well, like you say, it's unlikely. That's my point. Oprah can sway the US economy (if only for a few days) so that says something for how many viewers she has and how unlikely it is they will all follow any one boycott. She's too popular, it just won't happen.
voices_in_my_head
I've always found it funny that one person (A day-time tv show host, no less) could affect things so severely - living in the area of Texas where the sueing over the meat industry took place, I know just how much it changed. People, to this day, will tell you about the day Oprah almost messed up their income royally. Which, I know, sounds silly - a few days of not enough meat consumption and we all freak out. But it was a big problem.

As for boycotting her? I think it's pointless, yes. Why? Because she is a *person*. Boycotting her will solve...what, exactly? Equal airtime for political canidates? Just saying you dont' agree with someone (even if it's in masses) does not make them change their opinions - and I imagine that is the only thing they're after. (Since, after all, this is the woman who made people stop eating burgers...she could get them to vote, too...right?)
Yannick
I wasn't originally going to post in this topic. I don't watch Oprah, and don't really care if they boycott/cancel her or not. I don't know how that would affect (effect? Gah I hate these) things, but really, not my problem. If things go /really/ wrong because they boycott her (which I doubt, even if people do pull it off) it may potentially become my problem, but I still wouldn't really care. Just like I don't care about gas prices, it just has nothing to do with me.

But I did decide to post because I was flipping through all good TV channels, and some show on Comedy Central was doing a parody Oprah where she had a Rolex hidden on her body, and this body builder dude in underpants had to find it. And then Oprah shot money out of her ass, did some other stuff, and yeah. Related at all?
patback87
Well I don't support a boycott mostly because she tapes in Chicago and I'm in the media bussiness living in Chicago and her show is good for our economy, just like Springer, Wilkos, Judge Karen, Judge Mathis, even though I don't watch any of those shows, two of those shows my pay my bills someday if I get hired where I interned at, so long story short it would be bad for me to boycott her, lol.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.