Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NaNoWriMo 2008
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Creations
Pages: 1, 2
vicrawr
I have failed. But that's okay. I think after last year's and this year's failure combined, I probably should step away from trying to write about zombies. But this month has gone to show me that I should write every day, just to stay in practice and to create a habit of it. So I think I'm going to start doing daily word prompt journal things.

Anyone want to bet on how long it'll last?
voices_in_my_head
Irish, It'll last a long time if you employ people from the forums to send you annoying messages reminding you to write every day. tongue.gif

So today, I started to write. Then I stopped writing and forgot that i was supposed to be writing.

but.

I remembered. and just barely, with 50,102 words, managed to make it. smile.gif Go me?
Phyllis
QUOTE (Mata @ Nov 30 2008, 06:22 PM) *
Hooray! Go Cand! What is your novel about?

Thanks! biggrin.gif

I kind of don't like to tell people what my stories are about before they are finished (and this one is FAR from finished). unsure.gif I promise I will tell you when I have edited it, though!

And go Voices! Yay!

Vic, you will win next year!
EvilSpork
QUOTE (IrishGuy @ Nov 30 2008, 06:21 PM) *
I have failed. But that's okay. I think after last year's and this year's failure combined, I probably should step away from trying to write about zombies. But this month has gone to show me that I should write every day, just to stay in practice and to create a habit of it. So I think I'm going to start doing daily word prompt journal things.

Anyone want to bet on how long it'll last?

Well Vic I think it's a really good idea to write all year. It makes a very noticeable difference, which I was surprised by. I'm talking lyrics for myself, but I'm completely convinced it applies to novel writing as well. I think a blog could be a could choice potentially. I know you have a LJ, but maybe start another one specifically for writing practice and make a story out of your days or something.

I know I am going to start writing more in general. I don't read enough so I feel like writing is a good choice because it keeps my mind active in similar but more creative ways.

Anyhow, maybe an outline is in order and I'll participate next year!
Mata
I highly suggest getting Ywriter: it's a stripped down word processing package that gives you a nice and easy daily target and other stats. I find tracking stats makes it much easier to reach my goals. I love percentages!

Well done Voices! What as your one about?
voices_in_my_head
Okay. I'll admit. I'm a NaNo outlaw this year - I wrote short stories that were only loosely connected.
There's about 8 of them, I think, and they vary from a story about a man who accidentally proposes to one about a girl who, when she goes to sleep every night, visits an alternate version of herself.

I had more fun this way. smile.gif
Mata
NaNo outlaws! I guess that really is rebelling without a cause... smile.gif

The plots sound interesting. Are you thinking about expanding any of them?

In my news, I've started slowly going through my novel. 4 pages down, about 180 to go. It'll be a bit easier when I stop getting distracted by my new laptop being set up really badly.
Usurper MrTeapot
QUOTE (voices_in_my_head @ Dec 3 2008, 02:33 AM) *
Okay. I'll admit. I'm a NaNo outlaw this year - I wrote short stories that were only loosely connected.
There's about 8 of them, I think, and they vary from a story about a man who accidentally proposes to one about a girl who, when she goes to sleep every night, visits an alternate version of herself.

I had more fun this way. smile.gif

Yo voices. What are the word counts of the short stories? There are loads of writing magazines where you can just find a competition to suit your word count and enter them. If it's not picked, then it's not picked and you lose nothing else. If it is picked then you can say you've been published and might win a bit of money for it.
voices_in_my_head
Like most things produced from nano, they'd need some editing first, and in the case of the second story I mentioned, I'm still writing it. So far the stories range from about 5,000 words long to about 13,000 words long. It just depended on how much I liked the story.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.