Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone fancy doing Secret Santa again?
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Cath Sparrow
Was wondering if anyone fancied doing Secret Santa again this year? It was fun last year and I think we managed to get everyone they're presents eventually. tongue.gif
I was just thinking it we wanted to do it we'd need to sort it out quite soon, so that if we've got any going intercontanental there's still plenty of time to do so.
LoLo
I'd be up for it this year...looks like you guys had fun with it last year.
Moosh
Aye was a good laugh last year, I'd do it again.
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
Me!

I'm also pretty sure Ste and Cand would be up for it too...
Phyllis
We would indeed!

I'd be willing to help organize it again. The method that we used in the end (after much panic!) last year seemed to work rather well.
EvilSpork
Sure, I wasn't involved last year! sad.gif
Daria
I'll join in!
Yannick
Dunno if I can this year. sad.gif

We're moving and I'll be in Germany during Christmas, so I'm not sure how stuff would work with me address wise/making sure my mom doesn't see the gift.

I'll try to get the moving date sorted out though.

*edit* Oh, and I'm totally up for drawing names out of a hat again! biggrin.gif
voices_in_my_head
I'm down to do it again this year. After seeing my parent's expressions when I recieved a purple feather boa marked as being from england via mail, there is no way I could turn down the chance. biggrin.gif
elphaba2
I'm down. There's an amazing dollar store and a post office within a five-block radius of my bed--I'd have to be unimaginably lazy not to send something out.
Mata
Yep, definitely count me in.

My beaver from last year, named Pascal, sits happily most evenings on the sofa with Mr Floppity. Weirdly for a Canadian beaver, his French is mostly awful!
Sir Psycho Sexy
This reminds me, I've got to get my secret santa gift sorted for work too.

Also count me in!
Industrial Kybosh
Ahh, why the hell not. Count me in on this whole crazy endeavour.

What's the buy limit?
Moosh
QUOTE (Industrial Kybosh @ Nov 11 2008, 05:16 PM) *
What's the buy limit?

It was 5 last year if I remember correctly, so I'm guessing we'll go with that again.
Cath Sparrow
So I'm going by the number of responces we've had so far that it's a good idea. tongue.gif

Yeh it was 5 and I cant see a reason to change that. I will point out my organisational skill can be pretty scatty so if Cand doesn't mind it would be great if you could help.
Phyllis
QUOTE (Cath @ Nov 11 2008, 05:50 PM) *
I will point out my organisational skill can be pretty scatty so if Cand doesn't mind it would be great if you could help.

Yup, will do! What Izzy and I ended up doing last year was having everyone PM their addresses to her, then she sent me half the list. She made sure that my half had her name and her half had my name (and moop's name) so we didn't know who got us. Then we picked names out of hats to assign to people.

Izzy, since things are so hectic for you right now, maybe it'd be better if Cath and I do it this year? It was your idea in the first place last year, but with moving and all you might not have guaranteed Internet access. smile.gif

My titanium spork from last year still lives in the pen holder in our computer room, and I just recently used the last of my caffeinated soap! I have yet to really spork someone, though. No one has annoyed me enough when I had it nearby. Its time will come. evil.gif
voices_in_my_head
Ha, for anyone wondering Five pounds translates to about $7.82.
so watch those pennies. tongue.gif
mooooooooooopo
Cand pretty much already said it but I'm in. biggrin.gif
Yannick
QUOTE (candice @ Nov 11 2008, 03:28 PM) *
Izzy, since things are so hectic for you right now, maybe it'd be better if Cath and I do it this year? It was your idea in the first place last year, but with moving and all you might not have guaranteed Internet access. smile.gif

Go for it. smile.gif

What's the deadline for saying whether or in or not?
Pikasyuu
I'll join. smile.gif
Ashbless
QUOTE (Mata @ Nov 11 2008, 06:51 AM) *
My beaver from last year, named Pascal, sits happily most evenings on the sofa with Mr Floppity. Weirdly for a Canadian beaver, his French is mostly awful!

I'd suspect Pascal is from western Canada. He'd still be up on the hockey and curling but not so fluent in French. : ) He may know a few swear words in Chinese if he happens to be from Vancouver.

Anyway, I'm keen to join in again this year. Last year was loads of fun.
Phyllis
QUOTE (Yannick @ Nov 11 2008, 08:59 PM) *

I'd say probably the 1st of December? I think that was our deadline last year.

Okay, I've already started receiving addresses via PM, so I guess I'll be the one collecting those! Everyone who wants to take part: PM me your address. I'll split the list up and send half of it to Cath.

It's also probably a good idea to include in the PM who you drew in last year's Secret Santa to avoid repeats.

I already have a few peoples' addresses, but it's probably best to PM me your address even if you know I should already have it, just in case I can't find my address book (it likes to get lost). moop can ignore this request. tongue.gif
Yannick
QUOTE (candice @ Nov 12 2008, 06:27 AM) *
QUOTE (Yannick @ Nov 11 2008, 08:59 PM) *

I'd say probably the 1st of December? I think that was our deadline last year.

Oh, awesome. I should have a definite answer by then.
MistressAlti
*raises hand and cackles with evil glee* Ooh, let me play. It will be ever so much fun.
Mata
Off the top of my head, the last posting date for a promised delivery by Christmas is 8th December, so start getting your thinking caps on with some general ideas, so when you get allocated a name you can decide if you've got an appropriate idea for that person then go straight out. It would be nice to make sure everyone gets things on time smile.gif
Phyllis
QUOTE (Mata @ Nov 12 2008, 01:14 PM) *
It would be nice to make sure everyone gets things on time smile.gif

It would, indeed! Those who fail to send their gifts will face the combined Candish and Cathish wrath! evil.gif

Or a reminder PM, whichever.

I updated the list in my other post with Missy's name. I am going to go back and bold the names as I receive addresses.

Don't forget to let me know who you drew in last year's Secret Santa if you participated! It'd be nice to avoid repeats. smile.gif
Cath Sparrow
Erm.... seeing as I was one of the people who didn't manage to get mine sorted before xmas last year being subjected to my own Wrath could be pretty scary.......
Pixelgoth
I'd like to be included but I apologise in advance to whomever I have to buy for as I may not know you that well and buy something completely useless.

I've got a serious lack of people to buy for and buying for me so it'd be nice to feel wanted unsure.gif
Phyllis
QUOTE (Pixiegoth @ Nov 13 2008, 02:14 PM) *
I'd like to be included but I apologise in advance to whomever I have to buy for as I may not know you that well and buy something completely useless.

I've got a serious lack of people to buy for and buying for me so it'd be nice to feel wanted unsure.gif

I found last year that looking through the person's recent posts and/or talking to people who knew them better was a lot of help for ideas. I'm sure whatever you choose for the person will be great. smile.gif

Editing my other post to include Pixie!
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
I seriously can't remember who I bought for last year! :S
I remember my awesome presents from Syuu though!!
Phyllis
snoo: You bought a vibrator for Ange, you goof. tongue.gif
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
QUOTE (candice @ Nov 13 2008, 08:48 PM) *
snoo: You bought a vibrator for Ange, you goof. tongue.gif

That would be why I can't remember, you did all the work 'cos I was internet less! tongue.gif
Faerieryn
Me and Matt are up for it!
Phyllis
Bringing the list forward to this page.

List of people so far who are participating (I've already received addresses from the bolded names):
Cath
Candice
moop
LoLo
elphaba
snoo
syuu
Ashbless
Mata
CheeseMoose
InKy
Spoony
Daria
Missy
SPS
Pixie
voices
Ryn
Smiler

Maybe:
Izzy
Froggy

Don't forget to let me know who you had in last year's Secret Santa (if you participated, obviously) when you PM me your addresses.
Industrial Kybosh
I'll get this out of the way now - apologies to whoever I buy for, as the present may be late. Between the proposed announcement date and the last day for guaranteed Christmas post, I have very little time off. I'm off on the 9th, though, so a quick buzz round the shops of N-u-L should bear swiftly-posted fruit. Just don't cry if it takes until the New Year to arrive. I will, however, make sure that it is worth the wait. wink.gif
Phyllis
Being slightly late is totally forgivable. If someone hasn't gotten their present by Christmas the giver will just be prodded by PM to ask if they've sent it yet. It's when it gets near to Valentine's Day that the bottom-kicking boots will come out. evil.gif

(I'm using the evil smiley an awful lot for a thread about giving gifts, hmmm)
Mata
Okay, I've checked:

Inside the UK, we've got until Saturday 20th for first class post (22nd for Parcel Force).

From the UK to the US/Canada it looks like the 8th is the best bet, although the guidelines are a bit more squiffy on that one.

If InKy isn't likely to get a chance to post things on time for the 8th, maybe he could be ensured a UK name?
Industrial Kybosh
...or just someone in the US who doesn't mind the possiblity of lateness. I'll be sending it on the 9th, so it probably stands a decent chance of being on time anyway, or at least as near as damnit. There again, if I was put on a UK only list, I wouldn't be any the wiser, would I? Oh, the sinister machinations of secret santa...

Meh. It's all up to Cath 'n' Cand. I'm just happy to be taking part.
Phyllis
I'd be very surprised if a gift sent on the 9th didn't reach the US in time for Christmas, even with all of the holiday mail. Really, the combined wrath is just reserved for those who are extremely tardy in sending their gift without good reason. I did not mean to strike fear into the hearts of Dragonslayers everywhere. tongue.gif
Industrial Kybosh
No fear be here. I just like to cover my arse in case of any unexpected eventualities. It was nothing to do with any potential wrath.

Look, I'll come out from under the bed when I'm good and ready, OK?
froggle-rock
Count me in.
Daria
Remembered the thing from last year about loves, hates and vegetarianism! So to keep it short and sweet:

I love anything to do with the ocean
I hate dolphins
I am a vegetarian (no gelatine!)
No one else has to do this if they don't want to, but I figured it might be useful smile.gif
Industrial Kybosh
Hmm...

I love cats, Japan, surrealism and music music music
I hate rice pudding and Robbie Williams
I have no known dietary quirks (other than rice pudding hate)
Pikasyuu
I like octopuses, the smiths, vegetarian food, panties, bath stuffs, music, lemon flavored things, and anything cosmetic related.
I hate.. ABBA, pink, most sweets, and nipple tassels.
hope that helps!
Yannick
I like pretty much anything,
I hate girly things, rap/hip-hop/country music, and spiders.
LoLo
I have an unnatural obsession with Nine Inch Nails, Harley Quinn, eyeballs, strange socks and anything funny and weird.

I don't like fungi, tomatoes, or onions though why anyone would ship produce is beyond me.
voices_in_my_head
Uhm, I love reading, music, and most of all fashion and art <3
I've got a weird thing for stripes, polka dots, and plaid prints.

I don't like spicy or sour things (I know, I'm weird.) as far as food goes.
General shopping guidlines for me (as I've told my mother over and over again) are: If it's on clothes, no glitter or sequins.
Otherwise, shiney is alright.

Uh I think that's it?
Industrial Kybosh
QUOTE (syuu @ Nov 16 2008, 02:21 AM) *
I hate.. ABBA

Denying your love doesn't make it less real, syuu...
froggle-rock
Luff Frogs. Hate Peas. Luff those fantastic frogs some more and hating on those putrid peas some more.

*is omnivore but not into offle*

happy.gif
Phyllis
moop, snoo, and I are also vegetarians, so no gelatin for us either.

I like fun Secret Santa gifts that make me laugh. SpeakerfortheLost did quite well last year (he gave me a titanium spork and caffeinated soap). If you get me and really can't think of anything, try PMing someone who knows me a bit better.

I hate moths, but I don't know why anyone would try to send one of those.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.