Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yummy Healthy Recipes
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Tips and tricks
Pages: 1, 2
mintyfish
QUOTE (leopold @ Dec 12 2008, 02:02 PM) *
Erm, I suspect "significant improvement" is a bit of a stretch. Yep, they may be better, but it depends on where they get them from. If they make them themselves or get them from a farmers market, then yes, you're probably right. Odds are, though, they're bought in from some mass producer and are just as full of crap.

Actually, Mickey D's are so far from actual food that they need to have chemical beef flavouring added after they've been shipped, giving them that distinctive fakey fake McD's taste, or so I dimly recall from reading Fast Food Nation. Most places don't serve food quite that underhanded and vile, but you're right pub burgers probably aren't muuuuch better.

Then again, I've come to the ecstatic realisation that the Flying Spaghetti Monster sent down battered Mars Bars as proof of Its deep and abiding love for humankind (in this instance 'humankind' meaning 'drunk people in Scotland'), so I'm not one to judge! tongue.gif
Eli
QUOTE (Mata @ Dec 12 2008, 08:39 AM) *
If I have burgers I usually get them in a pub. I suspect that they're a significant improvement on McD's ones, but I'd be kidding myself if I could think that they were actually healthy!

I never eat my burgers from McD's anyways(I don't know if it's the same scam over there, but)...they're so..flabby. It just screams false advertisement between two buns. I usually have them from BurgerKing if I really want one. (which I sadly still rarely get. *tear*)
Eli
QUOTE (mintyfish @ Dec 16 2008, 02:24 PM) *
QUOTE (leopold @ Dec 12 2008, 02:02 PM) *
Erm, I suspect "significant improvement" is a bit of a stretch. Yep, they may be better, but it depends on where they get them from. If they make them themselves or get them from a farmers market, then yes, you're probably right. Odds are, though, they're bought in from some mass producer and are just as full of crap.

Actually, Mickey D's are so far from actual food that they need to have chemical beef flavouring added after they've been shipped, giving them that distinctive fakey fake McD's taste, or so I dimly recall from reading Fast Food Nation. Most places don't serve food quite that underhanded and vile, but you're right pub burgers probably aren't muuuuch better.

(^ Didn't read the above before I posted above)
That's another reason why I don't eat there...and several others; I think they also add chemicals into the fries and the process for making chicken nuggets (plus a rather bad experience with a red hair ball in my nugget).
Mata
Don't forget the non-vegetarian milkshakes!
Yannick
Speaking of burgers, Wendy's has some pretty kick ass chicken burgers for 99c. They have to be somewhat healthy, because essentially it's only a piece of chicken with some bread.
Eli
QUOTE (Yannick @ Dec 17 2008, 02:37 PM) *
Speaking of burgers, Wendy's has some pretty kick ass chicken burgers for 99c. They have to be somewhat healthy, because essentially it's only a piece of chicken with some bread.

Yeah, but most fast food places add lots of flavoring and perservatives to their meats. And the whole, "we never freeze our meats" is a little skeptical. Unless they use like salt or something. Can you imagine if all their meat is..just mold?
Phyllis
The meat isn't "just mold." You'd be able to tell if it was. Mold has a very distinctive smell and taste.

The chicken burger is probably healthier than the other fast food burgers offered there, but I still wouldn't really call it healthy. The bun is probably white flour, which has no nutritional value. Any salad on it is probably 99% iceberg lettuce, which is mostly water. It's a decent choice if you happen to be eating at Wendy's, but I wouldn't really make it a regular thing. "Healthy" is more than just the absence of bad stuff -- there should ideally be some good stuff in there as well!
mintyfish
Yeah, but most fast food places add lots of flavoring and perservatives to their meats. And the whole, "we never freeze our meats" is a little skeptical. Unless they use like salt or something. Can you imagine if all their meat is..just mold?

McDonald's is your kind of place...
Hamburgers in your face!
French fries up your nose;
Pickles between your toes.
Have you heard about their chocolate shakes?
They come from polluted lakes!
McDonald's is your kind of plaaace!

*bows*

Since it's both my parents that taught me that cautionary jingle as a wee child and my parents who paid for all the meals I've ever had there, one wonders if they didn't foresee that the cost of enough toxic Happy Meals to do me was cheaper than uni fees would be...

We've gone totally off-topic but I think you can glean that burgers are probably not a wise addition to your healthy meal plan. tongue.gif
I_am_the_best
Got some butternut squash roasting in the oven.

It's so easy, just chop some up and season it and in it goes. So excited about when it comes out...
Faerieryn
Ok I am not the best cook in the world but you really can't beat something simple like a pasta bake. A can of tomatoes, some dried pasta, some veg (any will do- I once made a bake with mange tout!) some meat can be added- I like chopped up hot dogs, herbs and garlci are optional as is an onion, but they all add to it. Make up the sauce (everything except the pasta) add some tomato puree to thicken it or even some cheese and then mix in the ready cooked pasta. 10 minutes with cheese on top = pasta bake. I used to make enough to last me a whole weekend when I was at uni! Reheats really easily and if you don't use meat there is even less of a chance of getting a dodgy stomach if you keep it in the firdge instead of a freezer.

Have you thought of eating a small bowl of porridge in the morning? Tis very good and can easliy be made for one person. My breakfast of choice is currently crumpets!!!! But I have no clue as to how to make them aside from going to Sainsburys and then toasting them!

Peanut butter and nutella for the win!
Faerieryn
Ok I'm cooking one of my favourite meals for Matt and me at the minute and it is so easy and awesome that I just had to give it to you. It is called Normandy Chicken.
You will need

1 large onion
2 cloves of garlic (optional)
bit of butter for frying
2- 4 chicken breasts depending on size and how many you're cooking for
Carton of apple juice
Salt
Pepper
Cream/ creme fraiche

A flat skillet with a lid

Sice onions and garlic, and fry in butter
Add chicken and brown off
Pour over enough apple juice to cover the chicken
Add salt and pepper
Cover and simmer for about 5- 10 mins until the apple juice has reduced
Add more apple juice and reduce again- you can do this three or four times depending on how rich you want the sauce- I tend to go for 2-3 times
When sauce is at desired strength add a little bit of cream to it to thicken

Serve with green beans and potato of your choice- I'm currently making mini jacket potatoes

It is REALLY nice- my mum used to make it when I was a kid and me and mys siters now all make it
Mata
Oo, that sounds yum. I might have to try that out at home. smile.gif
leopold
QUOTE (I_am_the_best @ Dec 19 2008, 09:29 PM) *
Got some butternut squash roasting in the oven.

Ah, now there's a versatile vegetable. I love the butternut squash, it roasts really nicely, it works well in casseroles (replacing swede or turnip) and even makes a nice soup. The recipe for which, alas, I seem to have misplaced. Sometimes I'll do a mass of roasted vegetables - carrots, parsnips, leek, red onions and butternut squash, and possibly some baby potatoes as well. Drizzle of olive oil and some seasoning, and then a herb or spice of choice - I prefer to use rosemary or thyme, but I find caraway seeds work beautifully and give a nice warm aroma. Cumin seeds work too, but be more sparing with them or you just end up with a lot of cumin flavoured stuff.
Faerieryn
Boil your assorted veg in vegetable or chicken stock (I'm not sure about boilngi butter nut squash though. You could roast it and then blend with stock). Add a bay leaf and some salt and pepper. I like to fry some onions and garlic in butter first- don't think this does too much except make it smell REEEEALLy nice. Once veg and fully cooked blend in a blender. Add bits and pieces of flavoursome suff (I particularly favour Lea and Perrins) and then if you want a really creamy soup add cremem fraiche/ natural yoghurt or even cream- not too much mind or you'll just get saly cream. Eat with crusty bread
I_am_the_best
I'm practically salivating at the last two vegetabley suggestions.

My sister tried making a pomegranate and feta salad which she saw Jamie Oliver do. Don't do it, it doesn't work tastily.

ALTHOUGH, pomegranate. What a snack. It lasts ages because it's so much effort trying to get all the seeds out, but is totally delicious! Best to cut it into quarters because then you can bend the back which helps the seeds to pop out.
Smiler
I can vouch that the soup is a winner, I bring tubs of it in to work with Ryn's homemade bread. mmmmMMMMMMmmmmm
elphaba2
Nom nom. Today was full of delicious healthy (ish) recipes, born out of me waking up and realizing we had nothing in our fridge but condiments, cheese and spinach. Brie and jam on a piece of toast for breakfast (delightful, not particularly healthy.) and then I poked around in the cabinets for lunch and came upon a can of lentils and a can of tomato paste (as well as about seven cans of chickpeas--not a clue as to what I'll do with those). Mixed about a half-cup of the paste with water and seasoning in a saucepan, then added the can of lentils, indian spices (turmeric-cumin-nutmeg-coriander), salt, bit of chopped-up spinach. Simmered it for a few minutes and just had a little food-gasm on the nom. Soo nice. Ohh dal is so nice.
Daria
QUOTE (elphaba2 @ Jan 11 2009, 09:34 PM) *
Nom nom. Today was full of delicious healthy (ish) recipes, born out of me waking up and realizing we had nothing in our fridge but condiments, cheese and spinach. Brie and jam on a piece of toast for breakfast (delightful, not particularly healthy.) and then I poked around in the cabinets for lunch and came upon a can of lentils and a can of tomato paste (as well as about seven cans of chickpeas--not a clue as to what I'll do with those). Mixed about a half-cup of the paste with water and seasoning in a saucepan, then added the can of lentils, indian spices (turmeric-cumin-nutmeg-coriander), salt, bit of chopped-up spinach. Simmered it for a few minutes and just had a little food-gasm on the nom. Soo nice. Ohh dal is so nice.

Houmus biggrin.gif Chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, salt and pepper, lemon juice and you're done!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.