Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can't sleep...clown will eat me
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
LoLo
I realize that 11:40 at night and being wide awake is normal for a lot of people, but right now it means that I will not be getting a good nights sleep and therefore may very well be cranky or crazy or some combination of the two for work tomorrow.

Now my question is.....how does lack of sleep affect you people out there?

When I used to live my life on the very rare occasion of sleep, I thrived the first couple of weeks, getting stuff done that I needed to do...then I got loopy and then than I just went freaking crazy.

Do you run around your house half naked swearing that Luke Perry wants you to lick his side burns? What do you do when you can't sleep?
Phyllis
QUOTE (LoLo @ Dec 5 2008, 07:44 AM) *
Do you run around your house half naked swearing that Luke Perry wants you to lick his side burns?

Well, I do that anyway. Because he does.

I always feel kind of crazy when I can't sleep. Fortunately it hasn't happened in a long time, but when it does I usually pick up the most boring book on my bookcase and start reading. Moop's computery books work really well! biggrin.gif
Daria
I go loopy, and then if it lasts for a long time, I get ill. I think it's my body's mechanism for getting me to just stop and relax. Of course, then I stress out that I don't have time to do everything that I need to, end up trying to ignore the fact that I am ill and just get on with things.

Usually ends up with me sleeping for a couple of days and having a cold that lasts a month >_<
leopold
I used to be able to get by on 4 hours a night and still function like a good'un the next day, but now I can't really cope if I do that for more than 3 nights on the bounce.

Whenever I get too little sleep, I start off trying my utmost to be serene, but it takes very little for my patience to crack. I struggle through the day with these bizarre wobbly headaches (by that, I mean it feels like my brain is actually a big pile of jelly - it's not that pleasant, as it happens), a penchant for coffee and a strong desire to sleep. Then I get the burning eyeballs. Then I turn all cranky and shout at everything that ticks me off even slightly. Then I feel bad for being an Oscar and have cravings for junk food. And after that, I try and have an early night and then can't sleep because I'm thinking about what I need to do instead of sleep! So I get up again and do whatever until I pass out.
Industrial Kybosh
I just wind up staring a lot and making no sense when I've had no sleep. No noticable difference, then.

I used to go completely without sleep (and sometimes food) fairly often whilst at uni - though, I will be honest, drugs of varying legality would often be involved in these stints. I just enjoyed the faintly surreal tinge that the world would take on when I'd reached about 30 or 40 hours of wakefulness. I doubt I could do it now, and nor do I plan to - something best confined to the follies of my youth.

Nice thread title, by the way, Lo. Nice to know I'm not the only person who can't resist a good Simpsons quote.
Cath Sparrow
I come up with some of my best and usually most random idea's when I'm lacking sleep but I can also be a bit snappy.... I've never been one to go for day's without sleep it's just not something I can even if I wanted to do.
Yannick
Well, if I can't sleep I usually try and do something somewhat productive. Like reading or exercising. If those don't tire me out, I'll just lay down and close my eyes, which sucks, because I have to do that for like 2 hours before I actually fall asleep.

If I haven't slept for a day or two, I'll have a headache and be really cranky. My mom's pretty good at noticing when I need to catch up on my sleep, and if it's during a week day, I almost always get an excused absence the next day. Like right now. biggrin.gif
Aislinn Faye
If I don't have much to do the next day I'll clean or something, but if it's a busy day I'll take a sleeping pill.
Eli
QUOTE (Yannick @ Dec 5 2008, 10:38 AM) *
Well, if I can't sleep I usually try and do something somewhat productive. Like reading or exercising. If those don't tire me out, I'll just lay down and close my eyes, which sucks, because I have to do that for like 2 hours before I actually fall asleep.

If I haven't slept for a day or two, I'll have a headache and be really cranky. My mom's pretty good at noticing when I need to catch up on my sleep, and if it's during a week day, I almost always get an excused absence the next day. Like right now. biggrin.gif

So thats what happened today, everybody at school thought you just skipped.
Eli
I usually can never go to sleep unless I've been awake since like since 5 in the morning (or if I nap during the day). For the most part I do the same as Yannick when I can't go to sleep, except add a "listening to music in the dark" to the list.
Yannick
QUOTE (Eli @ Dec 5 2008, 09:23 PM) *
So thats what happened today, everybody at school thought you just skipped.

Pssh, I don't skip. I get genuinely ill. On Fridays.
I_am_the_best
I panic and have to cough or rustle the sheets or something every minute or so because I don't like the silence because it sounds like it's waiting for something. I try to just lie and daydream, or maybe look at picture books (because real words are too much effort and too intelligent for me). Maybe I'll put on loads of make up, then take it off again. I hate not sleeping. I'm averaging 5 hours a night at the moment, but it's ok, because it means that I'm always able to sleep so can catch up huuuge amounts on Sunday. smile.gif
voices_in_my_head
I'll stay on the computer or go through this entire routine of turning the fan on and off to see if the noise/no noise help. Listening to music, then not listening to music, ect. If that doesn't help I usually just read until I can't anymore.

Oddly, I'm more productive without sleep, in my definition of productive. I draw and paint more, and with more skill than I do when I'm fully awake. For school work and things that are considered traditionally productive, though, I've got to have at least six hours of sleep to be able to do much.
froggle-rock
If I'm not like, lethargic but restless and know I need to sleep, then I go for a cycle or trampoline or summit. I only really jog late a night. Very late at night. No one can see my boobs bouncing all over the place late at night. Just like, exhaust myself.
TigerLily013
QUOTE (funked)out_frog @ Dec 6 2008, 02:09 PM) *
If I'm not like, lethargic but restless and know I need to sleep, then I go for a cycle or trampoline or summit. I only really jog late a night. Very late at night. No one can see my boobs bouncing all over the place late at night. Just like, exhaust myself.

Well unless someone from the boob bouncing thread in the daft section is hiding in the bushes ;D

If I learned anything with my sleep, I need it. Otherwise I just can't function right or at all. At the very least I can run on 5-6 hours if I have to, but 7-9 is my preferred choice.

If I'm having trouble sleeping I usually try to lay there with eyes closed, and if that fails, going on the computer to listen to soft music tends to help. Worse case scenario I just drink some pop or coffee more during the day and crash earlier if at all possible.
Pikasyuu
I'm supposed to be awake in five hours, and the usual just isn't doing it. No amount of music, reading, or (other) makes me feel even vaguely tired. I blame my brain's resistance to STFUing.
LoLo
I have to be up in a couple of hours for work, but due to a recent surprise inspection of a floor at work that has left me bruised and scraped, rolling over is making it hard to sleep. Well that and my mind won't shut up. I'm hoping my sleeping pill kicks in here pretty soon because there are only so many infomercials or reruns of games shows I can watch this evening err morning.
Hobbes
When I was in my mid-teens, there would be many nights when I simply could not get to sleep - whether I had been out of bed early the previous morning or not. I would usually spend such nights reading, and there are many books on my shelf now (well, actually in a massive pile on the floor as I currently don't actually HAVE shelves at present) that I can recall having read in one sitting during a night of insomnia.

From my late teens onwards, however, I pretty much became able to fall asleep anywhere, at any time. Not quite narcoleptic, you understand, but I seem quite capable at lying down on the sofa and dozing off, whether I've had 5, 8, or 12 hours sleep the night before.

When I was living alone about three years ago, I would frequently come home from work at about 6pm and fall asleep on the sofa. Upon waking a couple of hours later, I wouldn't feel even remotely tired, and I would sit up watching television or, more often than not, tinkering about on the computer. Once the very early hours of the morning hit (i.e. midnight, 1am, 2am), I would nip out for a drive in my car. At the time, I was still a relatively inexperienced driver and so I thrived on a.) roads with barely any cards on them, b.) a chance to drive and learn from any stupid mistakes, and not be seen by, or involve, other people, and c.) listen to whatever music I like at a reasonable volume without worrying about annoying the neighbours.

A few times my life pattern became thus:

~ Day 1
7am wake up and go to work
6pm return from work, and go to sleep
8pm wake up, and do various "stuff"

~ Day 2
2am go out for a drive
5am get back home, get ready for work
7am go to work
6pm get back from work, but don't go to sleep

~ Day 3
2am go out for a drive
7am go to work...
6pm get back from work, but don't go to sleep

~ Day 4
2am go out for a drive
7am go to work...

And so there would be times when I'd be at work, having not slept for well over 36 hours. Ultimately, I would find myself "buzzing" through sheer adrenaline pumping through me in an effort to keep me going. Usually by the fourth day, I would return home, fall asleep, and not wake up until mid-morning the following day: my body desperately trying to catch up on sleep.

When my ex-fianceť and I were first getting together, we'd spend several evenings in a row talking to each other until the early hours of the morning, then I would drive the 10-minute journey home, and sleep for about an hour before having to get up for work. By the end of a week of these, I didn't find myself drifting off to sleep whilst driving (I could easily stay alert and awake for such a short journey), but I did start hallucinating whilst on the road. At which point, we both thought it best to be a bit more sensible in ending our get-togethers.
Vicarious
I'm used to getting just a few hours a night now sad.gif

Stupid Uni.
Industrial Kybosh
I won't even ask what you're doing instead of sleeping. Remembering my Uni days, most likely something you wouldn't like mother to know about...
Rubium
Basically what Happens is rather interesting for me. by the 17-18 hour mark for being awake I start feeling "A bit tired" then by the 24 hour mark Im Very Very sleepy, heres the strange thing, at around 27/28/29 hours of being awake I get a rush of energy and start immediately performing all the chores I needed to do throughout the house but was to lazy to do before. this burst of energy lasts for about 2-3 hours. then I slump over and pretty much spend the next 5-6 hours "zoning out" If im still awake after 62 hours I start seeing swirling colours And I lose track of time passing (eg: 1 minuet to me can really be an hour in reality) sounds become distorted as well. the longest Ive ever stayed up for was about 4 Days and by the 3rd day I was, according to my house-mates sitting bolt upright on my bed with my legs crossed with my bedding wrapped around my body and head,
listening to a Beatles/Daniel Johnston/ The Beach Boys Playlist I constructed a while ago on my laptop, giggling uncontrollably and every so often telling people "there climbing the walls" I have no recollection of this, but apparently Its what happens. which is rather nice to know smile.gif .
Vicarious
QUOTE (Industrial Kybosh @ Feb 6 2009, 02:44 PM) *
I won't even ask what you're doing instead of sleeping. Remembering my Uni days, most likely something you wouldn't like mother to know about...

*grins*

I don't actually go out very often..(lack of money and all that fun stuff.)

Just have serious insomnia and dont sleep well without my double bed!
LoLo
I was designing forms that I needed for a meeting this morning right before bed last night (would have had them done with ample time to clear my mind if I hadn't gotten called into work), so when I was about to sleep last night my mind could only stress about the forms and meeting, so not much sleep was acquired. Because of the lack of sleep, I was in a daze all day, and now that I should be sleeping because I have to work in the morning, I'm wide awake. Sometimes I really hate my mind.
LoLo
Had a crappy day at work...now I can't sleep. I hate that my boss can get under my skin enough to create insomnia.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.