Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Naming pets...
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
For those of you who don't know I've just moved into a flat on my own in Kidderminster, where I don't really know anyone, and I'm going to be getting a pet hamster for company.

So I've been thinking about names for the little bundle of fluff and was wondering if anyone had any methods for choosing a name for their pets? I'm sure some of you must have amusing stories about pet names, if nothing else!

So c'mon, spill it... wink.gif
Phyllis
Adding a title (Dr, Mr, Ms, Colonel, etc.) in front of a random object or name almost always makes a good pet name. Random initials can also be good. Most of the time I have a mental list of names before I get a pet and I just decide which one suits it the best when I get it home. I haven't named a pet since I had my cat Matilda, though. I can't remember what other names I was thinking of for her.

There have been a few exceptions over the years with my pets (Matilda obviously being one), but most of the time I choose something that makes me laugh. I find really boring human names on pets strangely funny. There is nothing about a cat named Carl that isn't hilarious to me. Larry is also good. Hahaha. Larry the hamster.

Just don't let Paul talk you into naming it something in Japanese or calling it Pikachu or Squall. tongue.gif
Moosh
Oooh. Call it Musharraf! or Amin or al-Gaddafi or Batista or MenÚndez or Jong-il. Or something similar. In fact the best one would probably be al-Gaddafi. Go with that.
elphaba2
Ahmadinejad! Ahmadinejad! Doo itt!
Moosh
QUOTE (elphaba2 @ Dec 9 2008, 07:28 PM) *
Ahmadinejad! Ahmadinejad! Doo itt!

YES.

In the words of (I think) Marcus Brigstocke, "Crazy name, worryingly crazy guy."
Yannick
Name is after another animal! "This is my pet hamster, Turtle."
Daria
Special Patrol Group.

What? Someone had to suggest it.
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
Paul really wants to give it a Pokemon name now!
Phyllis
Every time you name a hamster after Pokemon, God kills a penguin.
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
Don't worry, there will be no pokemon naming... we just looked through the pokedex and they pretty much all suck for a hamster!
Pikasyuu
i always name my animals after other animals, because i personally find it endearing - for instance, my cat's name is mouse. smile.gif
EvilSpork
I had a rat which I named Potat (see signature). For a while I was calling him Reese (I like Reese's peanut butter cups way too much), but it didn't fit. My brother reminded me of this poster we saw at our old grammar school. It was drawn by a 5 year old and it was a story about potatoes, but every time they wrote potato it was 'potat'. So I named him Potat.

So, sometimes removing a letter from a common word can be fun.
Aislinn Faye
I love mythology, so I get out my book that has a list of 'em by name and close my eyes open a page and point. I keep doing that until I get the respective gender I'm needing. This also works with baby name books, too.
leopold
QUOTE (Daria @ Dec 9 2008, 09:33 PM) *
Special Patrol Group.

What? Someone had to suggest it.

No, they didn't. Special Patrol Group is a stupid name for a hamster.

Call it Cliff Richard.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (candice @ Dec 9 2008, 10:05 PM) *
Every time you name a hamster after Pokemon, God kills a penguin.
God shouldn't restrict that to furry domestic rodents whose genus starts with the letter "H". He really ought to smite anyone who even considers using a Pokemon name for anything. Even if it's in a bad way.

QUOTE (snoo @ Dec 9 2008, 10:21 PM) *
we just looked through the pokedex

huh.gif

Snoo, please tell me you were joking. Please. For the sake of the sanity of the world, please tell me there's no such thing as a pokedex...

QUOTE (EvilSpoon @ Dec 10 2008, 02:50 AM) *
So, sometimes removing a letter from a common word can be fun.

Which leads nicely to my pet name stories. I've always been a fan of using seemingly boring names for pets. One of my cats in the past was called Herbert. It suited him, in an odd way. I had another cat named after a person who we actually knew - for reasons I won't go into I'm not going to name him, but his surname was "Green". He was dyslexic, and spelt his name "Rgeen". So our second cat was called that. People used to think we were being wanky arty types. If only they knew.

I think, for a hamster, you need a name like Derek. I'd call a hamster Derek. If I had my way, our rabbit would be called Keith. Unfortunately, that would also necessitate our rabbit having a sex change mellow.gif
Phyllis
QUOTE (leopold @ Dec 11 2008, 03:24 PM) *
Snoo, please tell me you were joking. Please. For the sake of the sanity of the world, please tell me there's no such thing as a pokedex...

Oh, I am afraid she is quite serious.

If I had my way, our rabbit would be called Keith. Unfortunately, that would also necessitate our rabbit having a sex change mellow.gif

Pft, nonsense! I once had a female cat named Jason. biggrin.gif She was great. This was way before the whole Jason vs. Kiefer battle between Lo, Debs, and me, by the way. I was about 4 and I had a crush on my friend's older brother, Jason. The logical thing to do at that age was name a pet after him, regardless of gender.
leopold
I take the point. But as I've never had a crush on anyone called Keith (not even Penelope Keith) I couldn't use that as an excuse. And I can't think of any good female names for a rabbit. Although if I had a female hamster, it'd be called Janice.
Daria
My next pet will be called either Action Jackson, or 2020 Optical Sue which would have been a very good name for Parsnip but we decided it was a bit long to say- and Sue for a cat is stupid.
Names I have used in the past:
Tiger (cat)
Lizzie (cat)
Howard (budgie)
Molly (budgie)
Batman (rabbit)
Podge (guineapig)
Pharoah (cat)
Mork (aka Miff The Whiff) and Mindy (cats)
Fuzz, Dizzy, Marmaduke and Humbug (kittens)
Taz (rabbit)
Henrietta, Charlie, Ethel, Amelia-Jane, Bob (hens)
Phoenix (bantam)
Peppermint Patty, Woodstock, Hendrix, Marcy (chicks)
Oscar (cat)
Ella Fitzgerald (ex-broiler hen)
Billie Holiday, Emily, Regina, Madeleine (hens)
Smoot (cat)
Parsnip (cat)

It's a bit depressing to realise how many animals I have "gone through" growing up o_0 To be fair, Howard, Molly and Batman were all inherited from some friends of ours who moved to Sweden in the early 90s, and Lizzie only died this year (aged 19).
Aww, I miss all my cats now sad.gif
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
QUOTE (snoo @ Dec 9 2008, 10:21 PM) *
we just looked through the pokedex

huh.gif

I'm sorry but it's true! There is also a pokemon wiki...

*watches the sanity of the world spiral down the plug hole*

I'm going to see if I can find my perfect hamster this weekend at the "Pet Deli" in Kidderminster, if not I shall be contacting a breeder near Hereford who has some babies for sale who look adorable!!
EvilSpork
QUOTE (leopold @ Dec 11 2008, 10:42 AM) *
I take the point. But as I've never had a crush on anyone called Keith (not even Penelope Keith) I couldn't use that as an excuse. And I can't think of any good female names for a rabbit. Although if I had a female hamster, it'd be called Janice.

My mum's name is Janice...

huh.gif

Daddy?
leopold
Daria, I've got to congratulate you on some of those names. Charlie and Ethel for hens, like the touch there. And Howard for a budgie is inspired, I'd never have thought it'd work for winged pets.

QUOTE (snoo @ Dec 11 2008, 06:05 PM) *
I'm sorry but it's true! There is also a pokemon wiki...

Oh, good jesus blink.gif It's happened, hasn't it? The world has finally gone stark, staring bonkers.

QUOTE (EvilSpoon @ Dec 12 2008, 02:25 AM) *
My mum's name is Janice...

huh.gif

Daddy?

Spoon, I can't even begin to tell you how wrong that conclusion is...
Daria
QUOTE (leopold @ Dec 12 2008, 09:49 AM) *
Daria, I've got to congratulate you on some of those names. Charlie and Ethel for hens, like the touch there. And Howard for a budgie is inspired, I'd never have thought it'd work for winged pets.

Ethel took a long while before she laid anything (they were all bought as point-of-lay) so it was a pun more than anything.

C'mon, Howard the helicopter from Thomas the Tank Engine. Perfect fly-y name biggrin.gif
leopold
Fair point, but who has a helicopter as a pet?
Cath Sparrow
moop had a hovercraft that got named...... it could kinda count....... rolleyes.gif
Usurper MrTeapot
I am going to get a Hedgehog called Pickles. Under no circumstances will it be called Hedgie or Sonic or Spike.

I say name it Terry. Or go the mythology route and call it Thor.
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
I've chosen her now, going to collect her tomorrow.

Right now we're thinking we'll call her Luna but we've got until tomorrow to change our minds...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.