Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Skinny? Curvy? In Between?
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
Pages: 1, 2, 3
craziness
Sorry this is not really relevant to matazone, just something I have been thinking about a lot lately, so I'm posting it in the daft section. I can't post the images in the thread because it's a poll so I will post the URL's and put them up in the next post.

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2008/04/...__470x393,0.jpg
Vote on the poll and say which of these girl's you prefer.

Lately I've been thinking about this a lot, because I keep hearing about Megan Fox everywhere. She has been voted the sexiest woman in the world by FHM and she's on the cover of tons of magazines. I hear of many my straight male and lesbian female friends raving about her constantly.
http://www.meganfoxy.com/gallery/gq-outtak..._outtakes01.jpg

However, I find Megan Fox's popularity extremely disturbing. I think she looks anorexic!!! It disgusts me that she is being named the sexiest woman alive when in fact.... she looks extremely unhealthy! I don't know why, because I have been exposed to the media and tiny thin women all of my life, but for some reason her extreme popularity has really upset me. It frightens me!
Please share your thoughts/opinions about the most attractive body types for women in your eyes and what you think about Megan Fox.
Yannick
Okay, so she's definitely skinny. I had to google to figure out who she was, but pretty hot, I wouldn't say no. Appearance wise anyway, she could be a total b*tch.

And the chick in the middle. But I'd go for the one on the right before the one all to way to the left.
SPEAKERfortheLOST
Ok, so I have to ask for someone else to verify that what I'm seeing is true...

I look at the girl on the left and the first thing that I see is that she has been Photoshopped and then I see that the other two have been as well... I don't know if its the low grade monitor that I'm looking through right now, but with the (assumed) knowledge that the picture of the girls has been altered I really can't judge how thin Megan Fox really is...

I'll look at it later from my home computer, which has a much better monitor, but does anyone else see that too?
Mata
The one in the middle definitely is the sexiest, though I probably wouldn't object to any of them as long as they had a healthy body image about themselves. There's nothing less sexy than a person who is constantly thinking that they should look some other way - people put a lot of effort into worrying about that kind of thing, and (to be a bit brutal about this) they could spend that same energy a lot more productively changing their shape or learning to accept themselves the way they are. You're only in your body once, either accept it or do something about it, and if what you're doing doesn't work then try something else, but make sure you feel good about yourself for making the effort. Being down on yourself constantly doesn't help you or anyone around you.

Regarding Megan Fox - she looks quite toned in the first Transformers movie, but in that photo (and I suspect generally since that film) she has lost further weight. I voted on the back of the first film because I've not seen her in anything else. That seems to happen to major female actors in Hollywood over a period of time. Angelina Jolie used to be incredibly sexy but now looks disturbingly wiry - she was great in Hackers, and even the Tomb Raider films showed her as buff and fit, but she seems to lose that muscle when it's not required and it looks unhealthily slim.

Is Fox hot? Yes, I guess so, but she's too young for my tastes these days, so that's more of an academic 'yes, I can see that she's hot' rather than a 'phwoar!'.
Mata
And Speaker: yes, the photoshopping is a bit distracting isn't it? The girl in the middle's boobs look too large for her frame, and the girl on the right's head shape doesn't match her body (it would be rounder, and possibly with a thicker neck). The one on the left is probably the actual natural figure. I've seen a lot slimmer, and her level of slimness doesn't bother me because she looks reasonably healthy on it.
Sir Psycho Sexy
To look at, I prefer the curvier (is that a word) one. It could have something to do with her expression/hair and so on, but she's much nicer to look at. It's fair to assume that there's a significant amount of air brushing gone on there, but I'm not here to analyse the picture.
elphaba2
Dear everybody,

Can 'curvy' go back to being what it used to be and not an uncomfortable synonym for 'plus-size' or 'fat'? Thanks!

Love Amy

I'd tap any of em. Why? Because they are pretty models. I do not know who Megan Fox is and don't particularly care to know! I wish actresses didn't feel pressure to be unhealthily thin and treated themselves better, thus teaching other girls to treat themselves well. I wish the country that I live in behaved itself more around food and eating and didn't designate them as things to be guilty about! I wish it was easier for poor people to eat good food! I wish I wish I wish man I totally wish that people didn't hang onto unhealthy views about their bodies and instead loved healthy delicious food and exercise and being kind to others.

I also wish I could fly. Next year, maybe.
Phyllis
What elphaba said, almost word for word.

Except I don't wish I could fly. Heights are scary.
craziness
I don't really notice the photoshopping in those pictures, to me they look real, but I would easily believe that any picture on the internet has been photoshopped. However, SPS makes a good point: photoshopped or not, the pics are just kind of a reference point and I put them up to start a conversation. To me, all 3 women look healthy and happy. They all seem like they are within the range of a healthy weight for their frames. I know people with bodies like all 3 of the girls, I even know girls as thin as the one in the middle with boobs that large. I definitely look most like the girl on the right, and I eat healthily and exercise 5 times a week. What terrifies me is that in hollywood, that girl is considered 'fat' and would be viewed as someone who needs to go on a serious diet and lose 30 lb. It's really frightening that in order to be voted 'sexiest woman alive' you have to be anorexic and have breast implants (no woman with that many ribs sticking out that far would have enough extra fat to equate to breasts that large.)

Angelina Jolie used to be incredibly sexy but now looks disturbingly wiry - she was great in Hackers, and even the Tomb Raider films showed her as buff and fit, but she seems to lose that muscle when it's not required and it looks unhealthily slim.

I agree with you completely, Mata.

look at angelina in the first 2 pictures

compared to the way she looks now.

She was way sexier back when she was in shape and not starving herself.

although i think kim kardashian's a total idiot, i'd much rather see her named sexiest woman alive than that twig megan fox.
you can see she has some meat on her but looks very toned and in shape.
leopold
Christ, is that Megan Fox getting out of the pool? If that's her, then I want to know who's voting. Seriously, did they choose a panel of people who all prefer their women to look like her? She's not even attractive! She's waaaaay too thin, her face is too pointy, her eyes look cold, and I don't even know where to start with those breasts - they don't appear to be on speaking terms, do they?! laugh.gif No, if I saw her out on the street, she'd not get a second glance off me.

In my opinion, women should be gloriously soft, cushiony bundles of loveliness. Which requires curves and such. On the 3 girl picture, I'd definitely prefer the woman on the right. I'd consider the one in the middle. The one on the left would have to have some other startling attribute before I'd consider her. Heh, even when I'm being Shallow Leo, I still think about personality traits...

Crazi, embrace your curves!
CrazyFooIAintGettinOnNoPlane
I prefer 2 followed by 3. 3 has a prettier smile in the photo but she has a huge left arm.

1 looks pretty bad due to her disturbingly thin arms and legs.

Megan Fox is not the sexiest woman alive and men's/women's magazines are full of crap.</statingtheobvious>
Pikasyuu
iiii..am curvy. not fat, not thin, in the middle. due to very lucky genetics, i seem to have a basic hourglass figure - obvious waist, obvious breasts, obvious butt. i've found that, even for my height, if i get down to the low 120s-110s-100s, i look terrible. gaunt, sick, pale, twiggy, just awful. some people just really aren't meant to be terribly thin - nadine cole of girls aloud is a wonderful example.

here she is, looking normal:

here she is in LA:

my personal preference for a woman's body is around the first image. likewise, spoon informed me that at one point during a woman's ovulation cycle, she prefers masculine men, whereas the rest of the month, more feminine men. food for thought!
Tarantio
Hooray old threads! (that I haven't seen before)

My answer would be all three, should I be so lucky. Not at once or anything, I'm not quite that chauvinistic, but none of them are anywhere near unattractive, and comparing three very different women doesn't really compute in my head; they're all very sexy indeed.

As for the (un)aptly named Fox, personally I don't see it. The photo above is unfortunate, to be fair, but she's a bad example of the worst of hollywood hypersexualisation. It might not be so bad if she were a talented actress, but her looks aren't anything special. Give me Salma Hayek, Rachael Weiss or Felicia Day any, er, day...

And yay! for curvy ladies in general, means there's more to love smile.gif

P.S. @ Mata: Watched Hackers recently? A.J. is a total cheeseboard in that movie, so not like her sexy self. And she actually had to be "enhanced" for Tomb Raider since she's not a natural DD. Don't ask me how I know this. I do, however, agree, she lacks something when she's lost weight. Possibly it doesn't go with her massive lips?
voices_in_my_head
So i lied on the poll because I thought we were saying our size - and I'm certainly thin. However, from the picture, I definently prefer the lady on the furtherest right. Curvy = sexy.

However, Megan Fox is very, very attractive to me. But she could defienently use a few more pounds on her. Overall, I think her facial features are what's the most attractive. Her skinny-ness lowers her overall attractiveness.
Yannick
I was looking back at the pictures, and my answer is almost the same. I'd prefer someone between the one in the middle and the far right.

Also, I was watching Friends earlier, and Monica was looking pretty hot. It was the episode when Rachel was saying her goodbyes before leaving for Paris. She's definitely not one of my favorite characters...but cute (in the later episodes).

Daria
They each have terrifying cheekbones ph34r.gif
Pikasyuu
Rachel was so much cuter in the beginning..
I_am_the_best
Someone inbetween the middle and the left one. Actually, if the one on the left wasn't so bizarrely photoshopped, in a crazy pose and didn't have such an ugly face then I'd probably go for her. It's all very well being glad to have curves to be a healthy weight but... there's something very pretty about being small and delicate. I think that the one on the right is really quite overweight, to the detriment of her looks.

And yes, Megan fox is a hottie. Mmhm.
Pikasyuu
whatever hot m-fox ever had has been ruined by her entitled personality.
i'm about to get significantly more curvy after the eight ounces of beef i just consumed. seeing as i rarely eat meat after going non-veggie again, i feel sick. very..very sick.
michael1384
Visible rib-bones are not sexy. Megan Fox is overrated. As for the picture, somewhere between 2 and 3.
Yannick
A friend and I have been savagely debating this. This seemed like a good thread to get some input. Who's hotter, Nancy or Lauren? (Personally, Lauren by far.)

gothictheysay
I like 'em both! I like the first girl's face better but she needs some sandwiches.
voices_in_my_head
Eugh, the second one wins on body but I am not digging the face. Which sounds horribly stuck up, I realise. It's something about her cheekbones.

I honestly don't understand why so many people assume guys want skinny-skinny girls. My best friend is a very curvy woman - not fat by any means, just in general a "big" girl. Big hips, Big breast, and a wide figure. But not fat.

And she thinks the guys are always looking at me. Pffft.
Daria
Neither of them are curvy, one just has bigger breasts.
leopold
QUOTE (syuu @ Mar 13 2010, 12:22 AM) *
iiii..am curvy. not fat, not thin, in the middle. due to very lucky genetics, i seem to have a basic hourglass figure - obvious waist, obvious breasts, obvious butt.

Aahh... every time you say something like this, a piece of me wants to see you even more!

But getting back on track, Daria is right. The second one (Lauren or Nancy? I don't know) is just a bit better endowed, but still skinny. And she has a hard face. The first one is cuter, in an Anne Hathaway sort of way. But I'd not choose either, both are too thin.
Cath Sparrow
I'm not even sure there's much of a difference in their breast size. The way the second one is sat she's pushing her bust forward and I'm reasonable sure she's wearing a push up bra and the top she's wear enthisizes the bust line that creates. Where as the first girl has on a top which in theory can make her look bigger busted but is actually just disguising it and I'm not even sure she's wearing a bra if she is there's no support. This is obviously al speculation going on the two picture as I dont actually know who they are so have no other images to go on.
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
I am a huge fan of Lauren Graham (2nd pic) but that is not a good picture of her.

Mary-Louise Parker (Nancy in Weeds) is really skinny and has pretty small boobs as anybody who has watched Weeds will be well aware of as she spends quite a bit of time in some of the later series at least half naked.

Lauren is definitely curvier than Mary-Louise in general and totally wins my vote.
Daria
Tarantio
QUOTE (Daria @ Jun 29 2010, 09:19 PM) *

Number 3, definitely. In both cases wink.gif
elphaba2
QUOTE (Daria @ Jun 29 2010, 04:19 PM) *

Brilliant lady.
CrazyFooIAintGettinOnNoPlane
QUOTE (Daria @ Jun 29 2010, 09:19 PM) *

It seems that bringing a pogo stick to beauty pageants really hurts your chances...
Faerieryn
Now you see I have a problem with this. I am skinny. I am naturally so and yet since the age of 12 people have assumed that I am anorexic or bulimic. I am skinny because my father is skinny. I am short therefore I am petite and yet I still have people telling me that I am thin. I'm not saying that these women are naturally thin or haven't undergone some major diet and exercise regime, but why is it ok to tell a skinny woman that she is skinny but not ok to tell a larger woman that she is large? I'm not saying I would tell someone they are large, quite the opposite in fact, but why then is it acceptable to tell a woman she is thin? I am also very pale. I don't tan, my father is ginger (I blame him for a lot of things) and yet I am often told that I look ill because I am pale!!! Just because I don't slaver myself in ronseal to make myself look like an oompah loompah doesn't make me sick!!!!!! You would never tell a woman who is over tanned that she is so, so why are we alright mentioning skin tone from the other direction?
Witless
My little opinion time.

If I was forced to say what I prefer, I'd say curvy. But to say I've never found a skinny woman physically attractive would be simplifying things too much.

It's not like everytime I see a pretty, skinny girl I am thinking to myself "meh needs more weight before I'd call her attractive".

Attractiveness is so very subjective and even within one persons own opinions it's very complex. I can often see two very similar looking people, and yet for reasons I can't quite put my finger on, will find one more attractive than the other.

So yes, I prefer curvy, BUT not always.
Pixelgoth
I suffer from body dismorphia...is that spelt riight. Basically what I see in the mirror and photos isn't what everyone else sees. Having said that I'm guessing that means we all suffer from that! I have spent years on and off diets and I doubt I will ever be able to accept my body the way it is. Mata, saying that someone should take steps to put their body 'right' doesn't really work in some cases. It can cause people to turn anorexic, do too much sport and basically get fanatical about it. I think people should try and look at WHY they feel like that. In my case I know why and I'm trying to deal with it. At the moment it doesn't help that I'm single as that just serves to underline that I feel fat, unattractive and blurgh! Sadly I know that isn't always the case but sometimes I can be really down on myself. I am getting help to learn to appreciate me for ME and not what others see or want.

Anyhoo, just to say Meghan Fox is very pretty but too thin now. She was HOT in Transformers.

I personally don't like extremes of body types in men. Why are we only discussing women's figures here!?! Have I missed something in an earlier post?!? smile.gif I don't usually fancy really skinny or really fat men and I do seem to go for guys who are rugby build. If that makes sense. Having said that, and I'm sure someone will tell me it's a bleedin cliche, but I LOVE a man with a wicked sense of humour. Someone who can make me laugh until my ribs hurt and 'banter' with me will always get a tick in my box wink.gif I persoanlly would jump on Jack Black if I saw him in the street just as much as I would Ryan Reynolds! You don't HAVE to have a six pack to be sexy/gorgeous/attractive.

I just wish I could take my own words of wisdom and apply them laugh.gif
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (Faerieryn @ Jul 2 2010, 07:23 PM) *
Now you see I have a problem with this. I am skinny. I am naturally so and yet since the age of 12 people have assumed that I am anorexic or bulimic. I am skinny because my father is skinny. I am short therefore I am petite and yet I still have people telling me that I am thin. I'm not saying that these women are naturally thin or haven't undergone some major diet and exercise regime, but why is it ok to tell a skinny woman that she is skinny but not ok to tell a larger woman that she is large? I'm not saying I would tell someone they are large, quite the opposite in fact, but why then is it acceptable to tell a woman she is thin? I am also very pale. I don't tan, my father is ginger (I blame him for a lot of things) and yet I am often told that I look ill because I am pale!!! Just because I don't slaver myself in ronseal to make myself look like an oompah loompah doesn't make me sick!!!!!! You would never tell a woman who is over tanned that she is so, so why are we alright mentioning skin tone from the other direction?

I didn't see this before I posted my post smile.gif I agree Ryn. I would say that fake tan does wonders tho smile.gif I don't tan at all. AT ALL! I go white (I am naturally a blue colour!) but I have found that some liberal application of fake tan does give me a healthy glow (with the occasional 'patch' wink.gif) however even then I still have to create a watchstrap mark as otherwise people still don't believe I'm tanned!! laugh.gif I, for some reason, feel sexier with a bit of a tan smile.gif
gothictheysay
I get the pale thing too, but usually not in a negative way, just in a "whoa, you're pale" way. I don't know if I would tell someone if they were over-tanned, but that is definitely something I notice. Now that I think about it, I have told people they're pale, but I usually try to lump myself in with them. Still interesting though. And I don't think it's usually ok to tell someone they are too skinny/large, but I can more easily see "You're skinny" being said in a *slightly* different context than you could ever say "You're kinda chubby". I'm sure you can say someone is skinny in a negative way - I know you can - but I feel like it gets used more as a compliment in the situations I've been in, and it's harder to be like "you have a nice full figure" or something to someone who is larger. It's probably unfair to say that overweight people struggle a bit more in feeling comfortable in a society that promotes skinniness so much, but I think it might be true. However I do realize that the too-skinny comments often go under the radar. It's true; we're much more likely to say "So-and-so needs to eat a sandwich" instead of "so-and-so should eat less sandwiches". Or one is seen as okay while the other isn't. That's not really fair, but I can't help but think that because so many people seem to think and the media and advertising tell us that skinny is more acceptable is why we think it's ok to say that stuff.
Pikasyuu
QUOTE (Faerieryn @ Jul 2 2010, 11:23 AM) *

I agree with this 100%. there's a huge problem in our society - American society, at least, where a significant portion of the overweight problem considers nothing worse than anyone pointing out how much they weigh or daring to suggest that your BMI correlates to your health. absolutely, larger men and women are just as capable of being healthy as thinner men and women. however, it seems so okay and socially normal to bully a thin person and make fun of their weight while it's beyond politically incorrect to so much as mention someone of a higher BMI's weight issues. as a point of reference, i've been made fun of for both. fat when i was younger, and terribly thin during my late teens while i was sick.

for instance: there's an overweight star here called Nikki Blonsky. she isn't chubby, she's fat. period. end of story. she's a large girl by a large margin. i don't have any personal problem with her weight - if she's happy being who she is, that's awesome and more than a lot of people, weight aside, can say. however. Kate Moss was under fire a few months ago for famously saying 'Nothing tastes as good as thin feels.' we see how this is irresponsible, correct? it promotes a message encouraging people to be thin and implies that thin is superior, et cetera. considering Kate's mix ups with anorexia propaganda and her position as an often used thinsporation model, that was pretty irresponsible.

now enter Nikki, who is starring in a new show about girls at fitness camp trying to lose weight and promote a healthier lifestyle. she does an interview on her character, who ignores all the fitness camp rules and does whatever she wants! because rebelling against an exercise program to stay fat and love who you are is awesome, right? part of this is awesome: self confidence is awesome. so, Nikki does this interview about her character and goes on and on about how cool it is that her character doesn't want to lose weight and rebels against fitness camp in order to stay herself.

when this hit the media site i frequent, there was an absolute explosion about how great Nikki was for saying this. my issue is that it isn't very much different from what Kate Moss did. you're condoning a lifestyle that may potentially lead to health risks. being very overweight and very underweight are not things that should be advocated to the media on a large scale, regardless of which extreme we feel is more politically correct to champion as the underdog today. if Nikki were at home and 800lbs on her couch spooning ice cream into her mouth, i couldn't care less. but she and this show have a large audience and are promoting the message to children that they can eat whatever they want and be as sedentary as they like as long as they love their bodies, because picking on fat people is wrong. what if they had a show about a severely underweight girl at a camp to help get her healthier through a better diet and exercise, and she rebelled because she loved herself the way she was? network executives would sh*t their pants over what a horrible message that promoted.

rant over. wink.gif
Yannick
^ I get what you're saying about the TV show, but I disagree. The show has the potential to make a difference. The Biggest Loser and various MTV shows seems to be covering the weight loss angle, but what we don't have is a show telling fat people it's okay to be fat. I think that people that want to lose weight will try, and if they fail, at least they have this show to fall back on and tell them it's okay to be them. If it makes someone incapable of losing weight feel better about their body image, that isn't a bad thing. I really don't think it'll have such an enormous impact that little chubby kids will start wholeheartedly embracing their weight. It's more of a "Hey, I get sh*t for this all the time, but I'm learning to feel okay with myself."

That said, I haven't seen/heard of the show in question.
Pikasyuu
The thing is, though, out of both extremes who each get picked on for their weight, only one is sheltered under the umbrella of the media saying 'How dare you pick on anyone for being fat!' - anyone who cares what someone does to or with their own body if they don't personally know them is laboring under their own phobia, but to publicize someone refusing to lose weight and celebrating it? You can teach people to be happy with who they are without doing it through such a mixed message. If they did a show on a girl who compulsively under-ate, aka, was anorexic or struggled with anorexia issues and praised her for refusing to put on weight to get closer to a healthy BMI, people would be protesting and having fits left, right, and center. What people don't see is that this is no different. Both extremes are unhealthy. Both extremes can lead to death. One is several pounds closer to death than the other, of course, but the two aren't far off from each other - and sadly, obesity is a much larger problem than anorexia and bulimia are these days. But god forbid anyone point that out.

Like I said, there are other ways to teach kids to feel okay with themselves. It's ironic to picture an overweight child sitting on the couch inside and watching something that relays the message, it's cool not to listen to people who try to help you get fit.
gothictheysay
when this hit the media site i frequent, there was an absolute explosion about how great Nikki was for saying this. my issue is that it isn't very much different from what Kate Moss did. you're condoning a lifestyle that may potentially lead to health risks. being very overweight and very underweight are not things that should be advocated to the media on a large scale, regardless of which extreme we feel is more politically correct to champion as the underdog today. if Nikki were at home and 800lbs on her couch spooning ice cream into her mouth, i couldn't care less. but she and this show have a large audience and are promoting the message to children that they can eat whatever they want and be as sedentary as they like as long as they love their bodies, because picking on fat people is wrong. what if they had a show about a severely underweight girl at a camp to help get her healthier through a better diet and exercise, and she rebelled because she loved herself the way she was? network executives would sh*t their pants over what a horrible message that promoted.

I think this highlights the problem that we actually have with weight differences - that is, the difference between tolerance and what to recommend. To say "you can be whatever weight you want" is okay, as long as people realize that certain weights on their body are unhealthier than others. But I think we have a problem with "you shouldn't tease fat/skinny people" as opposed to "it's healthy to be any shape at all". Not helping this is the fact that *everyone*'s body is different. Some people are built bigger, some people are built smaller, some people's bodies seem to hold certain amounts of weight better. By judging people for being a certain weight we are being unfair, but by saying you shouldn't make fun of others ergo all weights are healthy is being unreasonable.

It's great Nikki is happy with her weight, and it's great she wants it to stay that way, as long as she realizes any health implications. I would hate others making weight decisions for me. But it is slightly misleading to think of weight as a trait that has no other implications other than body image.
Faerieryn
Comments

Why is it considered a "Healthy tan"? Surely tanning is considered by most people to be unhealthy, with the cancer risks etc

When was the last time you saw a TV programme that said it was OK to be very skinny? I'm not saying that I think people who are large should told they MUST slim down but, how many times have you seen TV programmes, or read articles where a skinny woman is told to "eat a burger!"

My "type" of bloke is probably in the Johnny Depp category. I have always fancied tall and skinny. However my husband is short and has been quoted as saying "why do I need a six pack when I have a beer barrel", and I think he is the sexiest thing alive.

Playing devil's advocate here BTW- I think it is great that people are encouraged to be comfortable in their own skin!
LoLo
QUOTE (Pikasyuu @ Jul 2 2010, 08:30 PM) *
The thing is, though, out of both extremes who each get picked on for their weight, only one is sheltered under the umbrella of the media saying 'How dare you pick on anyone for being fat!'

Just wanted to say, that even though there is an "umbrella" saying it's not ok, doesn't stop a lot of people. I get comments made to me if I order a dessert in a restaurant or someone sees me eating something sweet in public. I even have friends suggesting that I "order the salad." I like salads, quite a bit actually, but I'm only going to order them if I want one.

I think people just like to ridicule people either way. I think somehow it makes some people feel better about themselves if they are letting someone else know what is wrong with them.

On point of the actual subject, I think the look totally depends on the person. I think women look a bit more womanly if they have some curve to them, but that doesn't mean that skinny girls can't be hot too.

As for guys, I think the same applies that it depends on the person but, I seem to have a tendency to go for guys who are super duper skinny. Guess I just like my beanpoles. laugh.gif
Pikasyuu
I even have friends suggesting that I "order the salad."

Um, wtf? Who says that kind of thing to their friends, bigger or smaller?
I_am_the_best
^ Surely, if you're overweight, it's really the kindest thing for your friends to suggest to you to order a healthier option. They evidently care enough about you to be honest, rather than awkwardly trying to overlook the fact that you're overweight. It's like the difference between a friend who will tell you your new dress looks nice when really it looks ugly, and the friend who'll be honest.

But obviously if you're not overweight and your friend is telling you to order a salad then that's a bit weird and judgemental.

I really don't think being overweight is attractive. Overweight people can look pretty, but they'll never be as pretty as if they were to be a normal weight. I think that being underweight is more accepted is because you can be a lot less underweight before dying than you can be overweight. Let's say the optimum BMI (I know it's a flawed system but whatever) is about 21. People die at about below 16. However some peoples' BMIs can reach well into the 30s, even 40s (unsure how high they can go..). So clearly, you can be more overweight than you can be underweight, so there's more potential to get uglier and uglier. Ok this is more than a bit tenuous.... whatever
Pikasyuu
I think the dress comparison is a little different. It isn't as though someone who might struggle with their weight just has no idea what the difference is between a cheeseburger and a stalk of celery. If you ask for a friend to help remind you to make better choices, that's one thing. Otherwise, it just looks like you're being a tw*t and shaming your fat friend for eating what they'd like to eat while they're out with you.
Yannick
^ But.. I think if you are overweight, you're aware of it, whereas you might not be with an ugly dress. You're also probably aware of the health risks associated with a larger body mass, and know you could lose a few. However, that doesn't mean your friends (and especially strangers!) need to point it out. It's like, ultimately it's the person's choice anyway*, they chose whatever they're eating for a reason. I think with the way our media is set up, it's almost impossible to not know being obese is unhealthy/unattractive to a fair portion of society.

* This is different for children. If your five year old is 500 pounds, she doesn't know what's going on, and you need to be punished for child neglect.

QUOTE ("syuu")
The thing is, though, out of both extremes who each get picked on for their weight, only one is sheltered under the umbrella of the media saying 'How dare you pick on anyone for being fat!' - anyone who cares what someone does to or with their own body if they don't personally know them is laboring under their own phobia, but to publicize someone refusing to lose weight and celebrating it? You can teach people to be happy with who they are without doing it through such a mixed message. If they did a show on a girl who compulsively under-ate, aka, was anorexic or struggled with anorexia issues and praised her for refusing to put on weight to get closer to a healthy BMI, people would be protesting and having fits left, right, and center. What people don't see is that this is no different. Both extremes are unhealthy. Both extremes can lead to death. One is several pounds closer to death than the other, of course, but the two aren't far off from each other - and sadly, obesity is a much larger problem than anorexia and bulimia are these days. But god forbid anyone point that out.

Like I said, there are other ways to teach kids to feel okay with themselves. It's ironic to picture an overweight child sitting on the couch inside and watching something that relays the message, it's cool not to listen to people who try to help you get fit.

[color=purple]The media picks on people for putting on weight all the time. It was all over magazines when Oprah gained some weight, and there's always the "50 Best and Worst Beach Bodies" advertised on the cover, the worst consisting of overly fat and hideously thin people alike.

Hmm. I really need to see an episode of the show in question. As I'm understanding it, it's a chick at fat camp refusing to lose weight. ABC's page doesn't give a lot of info on the show (I'll probably watch the first episode after this post), but I don't think she's being praised for it (aside from maybe the other campers?). I think, with the fat camp environment, the main character will constantly be pressed about the health risks that will come with her nonconformity, but her refusal will boost viewers' self-esteem. Maybe in the series finale she'll die or something while the other campers are happy and fit, idk. That'll get things going, haha. But no, I think it's way too early in the show to judge the effect it will have on people, but predict little to none at all. This reminds me of this movie where some insane health nut takes charge of a fat camp, but the campers won't have it, and do all these pranks on him.. Can't remember what it was called, but it sounds almost identical, was hilarious, and the target audience was elementary school kids. I really don't think it ruined anyone's life.

ABC posts this one that page.

"At ABC Family, we believe that healthy living means living life to the fullest. In order to live your best life, itís important to take care of yourself -- physically, mentally and emotionally. Here youíll be given tips on how to eat nutritious snacks and meals, add exercise into your busy life, and build a stronger, more positive sense of self -- because living a healthy life means having healthy self-esteem too!

Ask The Panel Huge questions and get Huge answers as they share with you important information about health and provide you with ways you can get healthy today! Reach out to our self-esteem specialist and discover how to appreciate yourself even more!

Love Huge, Think Huge, Act Huge. Whatever you do, do it to the fullest Ė LIVE HUGE!"

I really don't think they have any bad intentions with this. I'm imagining a few twists in the storyline where the chick eventually does get fit (or dies/goes through some massive breakdown/whatever), but I just really can't see this being a huge deal.

Oh, there was a documentary on the world's skinniest woman. Not really related. Just.. decided to post it.
gothictheysay
When was the last time you saw a TV programme that said it was OK to be very skinny?

Maybe not a TV program... but almost ALL commercials, advertising, movies, etc. tend to favor very skinny - or at least skinny - people. At least in America, we are constantly bombarded by images of skinny being optimal to a ridiculous extent. Unfortunately the media has a very strong influence on younger people, causing them to assess themselves as "too fat" when they may be just fine. (Just debating as well - I am pretty sure we agree on most things here smile.gif)

I really don't think being overweight is attractive. Overweight people can look pretty, but they'll never be as pretty as if they were to be a normal weight

Ouch. Ouch. That stings a bit. But like I mentioned earlier, what is a "normal weight"? People who are a little overweight are often just as healthy as people who are at a perfect BMI - but it depends on each individual person. I've got a little extra chub, and I would like to lose a little weight, but I am overall pretty content with my body. I've had friends who said they were overweight and I thought they didn't look it at all - it's not necessarily a visual thing. Is a little overweight still pretty? How far do you have to go? I can *sort of* understand what you're saying, and perhaps you didn't mean to come off so harshly, and perhaps that's just your conception of pretty. If I lost a little weight, I might get compliments, but I can't imagine anyone saying "Gosh, you look so much prettier now". Maybe I would look a little prettier - but the conception would change from person to person. I'm glad that even though I'm a little chubby I have people who think I am pretty just the way I am.
Yannick
Wooo, just watched the first episode. The show.. is sort of boring. But, uh, basically, she was scared to lose weight at first (probably afraid to start what she couldn't finish), but when Dr. Whatsherface was talking to her at the end, she decided to stay at the weight loss camp. My prediction, she'll get with the program, lose weight, and meh, another happy ABC show.

*edit*

ABC is just playing the rebellious teen card, not the "I'm glad to be fat" card. Her attitude changed considerably through-out the first episode.
"Lose weight." No, I'm going to gain weight.
"Exercise!" No, I'm going to sit here and do nothing.
"Eat your fries!" No, I don't want to eat my fries.
"You can go home tomorrow." No, I'm staying!
LoLo
QUOTE (Pikasyuu @ Jul 3 2010, 08:12 AM) *
I even have friends suggesting that I "order the salad."

Um, wtf? Who says that kind of thing to their friends, bigger or smaller?

Usually it's smaller, because I'm usually the largest one of my friends. Sometimes it's because they want to order a burger themselves, but they know they should get a salad instead, so if they can talk me into getting a salad then they don't feel bad about not giving into their own urges for bad food. I don't know if that makes any sense. Other times, it's being totally judgmental about me and what I eat.

QUOTE (I_am_the_best @ Jul 3 2010, 08:33 AM) *
^ Surely, if you're overweight, it's really the kindest thing for your friends to suggest to you to order a healthier option. They evidently care enough about you to be honest, rather than awkwardly trying to overlook the fact that you're overweight. It's like the difference between a friend who will tell you your new dress looks nice when really it looks ugly, and the friend who'll be honest.

The thing with it is, I will not have even said what I was thinking of ordering and they will tell me to order something healthy. At one point in my life, I would be planning to order a salad or a nice chicken sandwich, and then out of spite get the fattiest cheeseburger and fries I could get if someone told me what to order instead. Also I eat a whole lot less than a "normal" person, so shouldn't this make them happy?

Anyway, I don't think telling me how I should eat is really being all that kind, because it's assuming I'm unable to judge and make a good decision myself. I am, I do, but my body just likes putting on weight. I can look at food and gain weight, but taking it off is another matter.

Enough of the ranting.
Lurker in the Park
QUOTE (I_am_the_best @ Jul 3 2010, 04:33 PM) *
I really don't think being overweight is attractive. Overweight people can look pretty, but they'll never be as pretty as if they were to be a normal weight.

I have a friend who is probably a bit over the ideal BMI (she's also rather tall so it's hard to tell exactly). She's also as hot as hell to the point of I have to stop myself from drooling in her presence. I'm also pretty sure that if she was ideal BMI she wouldn't be half as gorgeous as she is now and she'd probably be a damned sight less relaxed in herself too. So I for one stand unconvinced by that particular generalisation. I would say however that being VERY overweight is not an attractive trait to me as I feel concerned for their health.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.