Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Never Had This Problem before
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
patback87
I applied for a job in NYC back at the beginning July when I wasn't sure if my job was secured at Springer. I just got an e-mail to come in for an interview for a night time assistant. Someone I was talking to me got me thinking about how I could moonlight since I do technically work during the day. I have replied asking for more information, such as hours and if it was temporary or full time. I need some advice from people; I mean the odds that I could really balance two full time jobs are probably pretty slim. My thinking is that if it was just temporary I could probably balance it for like 3 months or so. The reason it's such a big deal is that not only do I want to work and live in NYC, and the company works on network shows for networks like Showtime, MTV, VH1, and TruTV and it would be a good opportunity to make some big connections. My other option is that I may tell them that I'm currently unavailable but I will be available after May, again how should I approach it? I've never been in this position. Of course I don't know the full details and it could be a bad fit right now and I don't know what will come up in the future. I also don't really want to leave my job at Springer, the head editor chose to hire me over other people so I wouldn't feel right about it. I will be out of work for like 2 months in the summer and will be looking for a job in NYC if it pays as well as Springer I would leave Springer to work there since I would rather work in NYC not Stamford. Any thoughts?
Mata
Look at it from another angle, do you think you would regret not taking the job? If you can balance it for long enough then it sounds very worthwhile.
LoLo
You could always go to the interview and find out all you can about the position. If the company offers you the job, you don't have to take it, and this way it leaves the door open for the option of taking it and learning more about it. I think you need to find out more information before you make your decision and you shouldn't cut off your options before you even interview. Also if it comes down to having to choose between the two companies, think about what is best for you, what is going to help you to reach your goals more and then go for that one. I know it's hard to let someone down who did something good for you, but sometimes you do just have to think about yourself.
patback87
This is why I asks you guys for advice, they e-mailed back that they are interviewing people today the problem is that I probably wouldn't be able to make an interview today. The position is full time with a trial period. I don't know I would really like to at least meet with them that's for sure.
Hobbes
Last year, I was on the verge of doing two full-time jobs in an effort to rake in a lot of cash for various reasons. In the end, I didn't even get as far as applying. Looking back, though, I really don't know how I would have managed it. My thinking was that I barely sleep anyway, so I might as well earn money during those waking hours. In reality, I would have been exhausted and something would have slipped at some point. Two or three nights a week I could have coped with, perhaps, but you have to be realistic.
patback87
Yea by the end of the day it basically came down to that they need someone asap and it wouldn't work out, I did tell them I was booked at the moment, but would be availiable in the future. I haven't heard back after that. I was talking to someone else at work who I know when he worked in LA told me that he would moonlight or only be booked on a job for a short time so he would book other jobs, and he said the problem really was that the jobs weren't in the same city, if it was in the same city it might work out. Again thanks for the advice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.