Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NaNoWriMo 2009
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Creations
Pages: 1, 2
Usurper MrTeapot
Hey guys, I know its early but I have just been reminded about it.

NaNoWriMo!

I'm sure everyone is in for it this year. Now I've graduated I've not got an excuse, and nor do I want one. I'm so psyched for it already I could eat my underpants.

Who's with me?

QUOTE (CommieBastard)
National Novel Writing Month, for those of you who are unfamiliar with it, is an event in November where the participants try to write a novel of at least 50,000 words in a month, beginning midnight November 1st and ending midnight December 1st. Its main purpose as I see it is to combat that tendency of people to want to write a novel "one day", and then endlessly put off that day because "there's never enough time". NaNoWriMo forces you to put the words down on paper, which is the most important thing. It's also a great deal of fun.
Yannick
I think I'm going to do it (really this time >_>) this year. I had an awesome idea for a story a few weeks ago and have started character mapping. ..Now I just need to find a way to balance homework, clubs, life, and NaNoWriMo, and I should be able to do this. Let's rock.
voices_in_my_head
Wow.

You know, I haven't missed a year since I began doing this.
I also haven't come out of it with anything I'm even remotely proud of.

So it's to be determined...I think I'm going to give it a good try, but if it becomes too much doing that between school and work and whatnot...sigh.
Yeah. I really want to. I just don't know how likely it is for me to actually be able to.
Hobbes
I have the time.
I have the desire.

As long as I have the willpower to avoid distractions (something which is constantly keeping me from semi-important tasks), I shall give it a go this year!
Phyllis
QUOTE (voices_in_my_head @ Oct 12 2009, 07:16 PM) *
You know, I haven't missed a year since I began doing this.
I also haven't come out of it with anything I'm even remotely proud of.

Ditto. biggrin.gif

I'm in, as always. I have actually been writing a lot over the past few months. I don't completely hate some of it, so I guess that's progress. We'll see how long that lasts once I start NaNoWriMo. unsure.gif
vicrawr
Oh hell. Well, let's this going.
voices_in_my_head
Oh gosh...I really want to. I really, really want to. I may participate for the sake of writing without really setting out to accomplish the 50,000 word goal, because between work and school and actually trying to have a social life...there's just no way.
Hobbes
QUOTE (voices_in_my_head @ Oct 25 2009, 07:27 PM) *
actually trying to have a social life

a social what now?
voices_in_my_head
I don't really know, but I found this place where you can download it for free, and I'm a sucker for a good deal.
vicrawr
Link plz?
vicrawr
Oh God it's coming! IMPENDING DOOM! REPENT! REPENT!
Phyllis
Ack! Why does it have to be in November? How can I start writing when I am still a little bit drunk from last night's Halloween party? Actually, wait. I might be able to write more this way. It just won't be any good. New plan for this year's NaNoWriMo: constant supply of vodka.
Yannick
Woo... no.. I don't want to start today. I'm going back to sleep. Later..
Usurper MrTeapot
With two Halloween parties and now work, I've barely started. I can admit that here, this is a safe place.
Industrial Kybosh
Upon advice from the man Mata, I've dropped by to report my official participation in this year's NaNoWriMo. If you want a writing buddy, you'll find me listed under CrawtonLeek.

Let's get writing, peeps!

happy.gif
Yannick
Couldn't start yesterday what with the sleeping and throwing up.. Home today, feeling better, so going to try to maybe get 5k - 10k out of the way.

This is me.
Phyllis
Urrrgh, I only have 675 words so far. In order to stay on track, I should be at 5k by tomorrow. AND I am going away this Saturday and Sunday to visit snoo, so I won't be writing then. I sense a marathon writing session in my near future. wacko.gif

Oh, this is me, by the way.
Hobbes
Oh yeah, I was supposed to start tomorrow... and tonight doesn't look good.

Is it really awful that this has only just begun, and I've already procrastinated?
Yannick
QUOTE (Hobbes @ Nov 2 2009, 05:26 PM) *
Is it really awful that this has only just begun, and I've already procrastinated?

Umm.. ..No... ...not at all... ...right...? (I don't just say this because I only have like 800 words, y'know. >_>)
leopold
I had a great idea for this last year, except I had it far too late to do anything with it. And now I can't remember what it was. Damn, damn and thrice damn!
vicrawr
It's all falling apart. I have no plot. I am filled with suck! Tell me about your plots for inspiration.
Hobbes
Day 3... and I still haven't started. Out tonight sad.gif And have an assignment to do tomorrow night. Not sure if I can really go with this or not... :/
Phyllis
Aww, you can do it, Hobbes! For now, try to focus less on catching up and more on just getting anything down. Even if it's just 100 words.

I managed to catch up today. I'm now at 5506 words. Woo! Tomorrow I'm going to try to get ahead in preparation for going away this weekend.

Vic: Plot Scenario Generator. biggrin.gif
Yannick
...So NaNoWriMo isn't going to happen this year.. I have a ten page (minimum) single spaced annotated bibliography on exciting Islam due Nov. 20th. Also have a very lame French project due Dec. 1st. I didn't get very far with my story, so I'm not that bummed out about it, but I'd rather be writing than doing these project. ...sad.gif
CrazyFooIAintGettinOnNoPlane
You should just incorporate the essays into your novel. A detailed knowledge of religion and the french language is surely necessary to defeat the villain(s)!
Yannick
Hahaha. biggrin.gif
Mata
I can imagine the scene:

A dimly lit bar in 1925, in London. The bar has no signs outside, and the door is locked. Only the barman and a woman are inside. He's ten years older than her, and looks every day of it. He has a scar above his eye and his hair is flecked with grey that shines with the red of the beer advertising signs. She's a dame with long legs and a short red dress that clashes atractively with her auburn hair. The flat shoes seem out of character, like she expects that she'll have to run tonight, and each shoe of them is decorated with a single black rose made of ruffled silk.

He looks into her eyes and sees secrets. There's more to this woman, he knows it, and he can tell she wants to spill everything.

After a silence, he begins to speak. 'Let me tell you something, something about the world, this crazy world that we live in.'

She takes her time over lighting a cigarette. From beneath heavy eyelashes she looks up at him. 'Sure, go ahead. Tell me something new.'

He knows he has to impress her, and he begins to polish a glass out of nerves. 'I'll tell you something you don't know. Here's 1000 words about the history of Islam, including a twelve book bibliography, due in by next Tuesday.'
Mata
How's it going? I know InKy is doing well on his one (9000 words, according to his last Facebook update). Can anyone else rival that?
Phyllis
13,401 at the moment. I am officially ready to go away for the weekend without falling behind. biggrin.gif
vicrawr
Still only at a thousand. Crud.
Cath Sparrow
This thing still scares the hell out of me! I just stick with my stuff making. tongue.gif
Phyllis
24,728. I have no idea what happened to my writer's block, but I fear its return. This cannot possibly last!
Usurper MrTeapot
If you have written more than 150 words you are beating me, but I can't give up. I've decided to give myself from the 14th of November to the 14th of December instead as real life got in the way.
Phyllis
Guys. GUYS. 37,052.

SOME SORT OF WRITING DEMON HAS CLEARLY INVADED MY BODY! I normally don't write this much until the LAST week of November. I'm scared.
Mata
37k?! Woot! *Does the 'Go Cand, go Cand' dance*
Phyllis
50,338!

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Yannick
ohmy.gif Woah, gratz. Are you going to keep going?

My friend Cameron is at 30203.

...It's not really a novel, but my bibliography is at 4690. One more source and I am DONE.
Phyllis
Yeah, I may as well continue, right? If I had finished by the 15th I would have tried for another 50k, but I think that would have caused some major writing burnout on my part. I'm already seeing word processing programs when I close my eyes and try to shut off my brain at night; I don't need to make it worse! biggrin.gif
vicrawr
Congratulations. Good job!
Mata
Wow! That's incredibly early! What is the story about?
Phyllis
I'll give you the same answer I gave Lo when she asked me on Facebook: love, hate, war, and talking carrots. You know, the usual. biggrin.gif

I'm...still writing. I think I'm around 60k. I am getting the urge to type command + S when I write forum posts now. It's becoming second nature to do so every few sentences or so. ph34r.gif
vicrawr
Are you going to take advantage of one of the things from NaNo and get a free copy published?
Phyllis
No way. It needs serious editing. I think I would cringe every time I passed my bookcase if I had it printed in its current state. And anyway, it's not finished yet!
leopold
Wow, Cand, that's some fierce writing speed there!

I, however, am made of suck and couldn't think of an idea. Well, not technically true, I came up with a brilliant idea about a society where humans and vampires coexist, but it turns out it's been done already. Oh well.
LoLo
QUOTE (leopold @ Nov 24 2009, 05:52 AM) *
Wow, Cand, that's some fierce writing speed there!

I, however, am made of suck and couldn't think of an idea. Well, not technically true, I came up with a brilliant idea about a society where humans and vampires coexist, but it turns out it's been done already. Oh well.

Do they sparkle?
Phyllis
Wahey! Today is the first day you can verify and win, so I went ahead and did so.

Final word count: 68,782. biggrin.gif
Daria
Congratulations!
Hobbes
25th November, and I thought of a good idea for a novel last night. rolleyes.gif Do you think I can hit the word count before the end of the month if I start now?

...cough...
Mata
YES!

And Cand, that's damn near a full-length novel! Congrats!
leopold
QUOTE (LoLo @ Nov 25 2009, 03:54 PM) *
Do they sparkle?

I don't know. I've not read the books and we're only halfway through the first season over here. All I've seen is Jason Stackhouse on V with that Amy (who looks startlingly familiar) and they were a bit sparklified. And unless I've missed a trick, they ain't vamps.

But in my book, no, they weren't going to be sparkly. And I'd have never chosen the name Sookie for my leading lady either.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.