Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Power of the Forum
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Personal concerns
Hobbes
I've had quite a nostalgia trip during the last week, having visited old friends in my old home-county, discussing school days with them, etc. As a result, I found myself searching through my old forum posts. Despite being one of the earlier members, I haven't been a particularly prolific poster, and there were several months here and there where I don't think I visited the forums at all.

The first thing that astounded me were the messages I don't even remember writing. Some of them I vaguely recall, but others look almost alien to me now. Secondly, it is lovely to see how supportive the group of people here are.

During the recent meet, Mata talked generally about some of the things that have happened to members here, and how they've found the forum to be extremely useful, or helpful, or comforting, etc, and how that is really one of the primary reasons why he introduced the forum. When looking back through my old posts, I found the thread I made where I talked about my mum being ill, and her eventual death. Reading through the thread, initially I was struck by how much I had forgotten about the events of that time and my reaction to it. But also, the replies from the Matazonians were (it felt to me) far beyond any patronising cliches: they were wholly sincere, and I know they meant an awful lot to me - as did the private messages I received.

I think it would be safe to say that the forum provided an outlet for me to spill how I was feeling, away from my family, and therefore not feel concerned about how it might affect others who were also caught up in the situation. A place to discuss what I felt, elsewhere, was undiscussable. But, ultimately, the messages of support from people here, without a doubt, helped me through a very difficult portion of my life. So thank you to them, and to Mata for a.) his own support, but also b.) for providing the forum in the first place.

As an aside, it is only now, after a few other difficult periods in my life (some shared on here, others not), that I am starting to feel like the jigsaw pieces of my life are becoming uncovered. They might not be fitting together yet, but at least I'm starting to discover where they are. I feel no shame in saying that I have been regularly visiting a therapist for over a year now. And it has done me a world of good.

I know that a lot of others have been through difficult times, and feel the same way about this social network, so... well... thanks everyone smile.gif

Moosh
I'd like to echo those thanks, there have been times in my life when I needed someone and out of the blue someone from this forum has emailed me asking if I was okay, even for things that I haven't discussed on here. I've met some people through this forum who've been a real help and support when I needed them, and I hope I've done the same for those who needed it from me. This place is really a group of very nice people.
Miss-Smiley
That was a lovely post. I am sorry about your mum *hugs* but I am so happy to hear the support and comfor you gained here. I am glad a therapist is helping you. There is nothing to be a shamed about. I also visited a psychologist, just a few times but I felt it really helped me too. I am glad your therapist is really helping you. Some other forums on the net have done the EXACT same for me. The amount of support you can gain from those you don't know in person is amazing! It never fails to amaze me! How loving, caring and supportive people can be- despite not actually knowing you! tongue.gif

Meta rocks, as do the members on here!

I do not post here much but I came to find this forum from the same sort of reason as you! As you may or not know I have MRKH syndrome. I from time to time search MRKH on search engines- for a few different reasons e.g to give support, to gain support, to gain MRKH friends- friends who really comprehend the hardship that can come with having MRKH. I was surprised and so happy to see an MRKH thread here, and that is the reason I joined up. I have not really gained support from
that thread yet but helped a MRKH girl find a nurse who works with some of the treatement for MRKH. So I feel I was able to help other MRKHERS and to me that means a lot.

So thanks Meta for creating a forum for purposes to help one another- through the bad times and help us celebrate the good times!

Anyone else feel the same way as us? biggrin.gif I should try contribute more! It looks like a really nice community here!
Hobbes
QUOTE (Miss-Smiley @ Nov 29 2009, 06:04 PM) *
I am glad a therapist is helping you. There is nothing to be a shamed about. I also visited a psychologist, just a few times but I felt it really helped me too. I am glad your therapist is really helping you.

To be honest, I've come to the conclusion that everyone should visit a therapist at least once in their life. I've learnt an awful lot about myself as a result and, in turn, grown a little. I'm not sure what my attitude would be at the moment had I not encountered therapy.

I have not really gained support from [the MRKH] thread yet but helped a MRKH girl find a nurse who works with some of the treatement for MRKH. So I feel I was able to help other MRKHERS and to me that means a lot.

That is awesome that you have been able to help someone else, and I think maybe that could a way in which you are getting support too. Sharing knowledge, and experiences, but not necessarily being given hard-edged "advice" is perhaps just as useful and important as being given advanced medical information. Assisting someone else might be assisting you too.

biggrin.gif I should try contribute more! It looks like a really nice community here!

Post when you feel the need, and I'm sure everyone will be happy to see your contributions. Enjoy your stay smile.gif
Miss-Smiley
My psychologist did help me lots, although I never saw her much. I think my MRKH friends have been my best counsellors though!

True about the advise giving paragraph. Me and that girl did exchange email, and we started emailing each other but it never lasted long! Anyways I have far too many MRKH contacts! I even got to meet MRKH women from America, Pakistan even when they came to UK! It's amazing! I have met some amazing women through having this syndrome. One my Australian MRKH buddies, sent me a card in the post today for Christmas- which I found to be very sweet! My ex psychologist who moved to Australia has actually been a huge help helping me with my abnormal psychology module and long project for this year. Through having this I have met some amazing people!

Thank you for being so welcoming. Hmm yeah may use the forum to rant out sometimes!

All the best!
Hobbes
To have a group of friends formed from something which has no doubt proven to be very difficult at times, is a wonderful thing.

In the past, I've been cynical about human behaviour generally. But these days, I'm a little more PEOPLE = WIN!

QUOTE (Miss-Smiley @ Nov 30 2009, 11:48 PM) *
Thank you for being so welcoming. Hmm yeah may use the forum to rant out sometimes!

I think several people find it a good place to vent smile.gif On the whole, everyone's supportive and/or practical.
Miss-Smiley
Agreed my MRKH friends are very amazing women! If I did not have MRKH I would not have met them! So theres a good side to having MRKH or anything which may seen bad/hard to cope with! tongue.gif

All the women have a really caring and supportive nature, also this forum seems to have that atmosphere too and the MRKH thread!

Yeah these forums can be a good outlet sometimes and an awesome place for advise e.g drivign disasters! I am glad many people here find it helpful for that reason!

Thanks for replying to me! Have a good evening!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.