Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Until 2019...
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Mata
I've just renewed Matazone.com until November 2019, and Matazone.co.uk is a rolling renewal. This site will always be here as long as I live. 'Just thought you might like to know that smile.gif
Hobbes
I think the real question is whether you've included domain renewal in your will? I mean, sure it'll be around as long as you live but what about after that?

Or do zombies/poltergeists/etc. get Nominet registration? smile.gif
Mata
I had wondered about this kind of thing - will this website stay around after I die? Will anyone keep it going?

Well, since I'm planning on taking the planet with me, I guess it's a bit of a moot point, but it's something interesting to think about.
Hobbes
By the time you leave this earth, I'm sure websites will be self-running. Even creative content will be computer created. Finally, humans can have the rest they deserve.
Silver Star Angel of Da Towers
2019? Wow! That's a long way off. I can't imagine what the internet will be like then!
Mata
It will likely be pretty much the same, except every page will have a chat app on it where you can talk to other people visiting the site as well as your friends, and you will be able to follow someone else's browsing - they will be able to lead your browser around. At least, that's what I expect.
Hobbes
^ Pretty much exists now. I know you can, if you choose, download browser addons that allow you to communicate with other visitors at each site you go to. Browser following is probably just as likely to already exist.
Mata
Fair enough, then I expect it to be pretty normal!
Hobbes
I predict more advertising... nobody said the future would be pleasant.
SPEAKERfortheLOST
In the future...

Your last name will be the name of the company you work for.

You will pay no taxes, but inflation and crime will be unmeasurable.

The Internet will be replaced with the Matrix. (I don't mean the movies... really bad movies...)

You will be required to memorize the numbers for your credit cards so that you can purchase things.

Companies will run *everything*.

The Government will be privatized and considered a corporation.

You will be a number in a computer in a net in the world... nothing more. (possibly more than one number, computer, net... you get the idea)
CrazyFooIAintGettinOnNoPlane
Clearly the only difference will be that the internet is 3D
Lurker in the Park
My professional side says:

Less flash due to HTML5. Please note thats not no flash, just less of i providing video.
IE6 will be dead
But IE7 won't be
More site internal semantics i.e. the data store for a given site will be triple store based (X is a Y, Z is like A, B is a member of C, that sort of stuff)
Still no external site semantics
Facebook will have been replaced, twice.
IPv6 will have finally made it into the early mainstream.
The Great Firewall of China will have come down.

I think that's pretty much everything I'm willing to take a punt on at this moment in time.
voices_in_my_head
QUOTE (CarefulMarshmallowHiddenDragon @ Jun 6 2010, 06:38 AM) *
Clearly the only difference will be that the internet is 3D

That just blew my mind.
winli
since I'm planning on taking the planet with me, I guess it's a bit of a moot point, but it's something interesting to think about.
rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif