Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Photos, Videos, or in Person?
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
Pikasyuu
I was just thinking about this as an odd topic this morning -
While watching a new show for the first time that starred women whose pictures I'd looked at, I was struck by one in particular. In every photograph of her that has come across my screen, I've thought of her as fairly unattractive, but as soon as I saw her on television, I automatically considered her gorgeous. Likewise, I have a friend who is generally pretty and has ideal features (cupid's bow lips, large eyes, small nose, heart shaped face, clear skin, well shaped eyebrows) and who isn't terribly striking in person, but in photographs looks absolutely stunning.

As for me, it's been weird considering how often I change my 'look', but my general idea of myself is that I look worst in videos, alright in pictures, and best in person - the four MZers I've met can judge that how they like, except for candoop who happened to catch me on a bad hair..year.

So, what about you? In which medium do you find yourself most attractive?
gothictheysay
In person is generally when I look the best - I have more often thought "Hey, I look good" when looking in a mirror than in pictures or video. Most of the photos taken of me look awful, and I look fatter in video, I think.

I don't really have these perceptions about other people though, so I'm not sure how valid they are...
leopold
I dislike myself in any medium, visual or audio. Unless someone takes a close-up photo of my face, I look like I've got a shrunken head (although my excess weight might have something to do with that). I don't like the way I look in videos either and my voice irritates me. Is that normal?

I think I come across best in person. But then I've never actually met myself, so I couldn't say.
Moosh
Whilst not all photos of me look good, there are certain ones that I think do present me in my best light. Stills are best for me because I don't move gracefully, so if you see me in person or on video you'll notice the awkwardness.
Phyllis
Hmm. I'd have to go with photos, I guess. Specifically those taken with my old webcam. I don't know why...they were just always more flattering. Possibly because the camera was placed on top of my monitor, and my chair was really low, so my chins disappeared. tongue.gif

My current icon was taken in my old room in the US, with my old webcam. I don't look much like that in everyday life. Well, except for the shifty eyes, maybe.

I try to avoid seeing videos of myself. I cringe. I swear, my voice is not that nasal inside my head.
Mata
Leo: yes, pretty much everyone dislikes the way their voice sounds in real life. We get so used to the version in our heads that it's hard to accept the outside version. It was a struggle for me to record the audio for my animations to start off with but I didn't really have any choice at the time. These days I've grown to mostly accept it, but it's still weird to me.

Hmm... I think I look best in person, okay in videos, and worst in photos. I can photograph well, but I can also easily photograph really badly! I think it's best to go for a moving version so that the bad images are smoothed out with the good ones smile.gif
Cath Sparrow
Yeh I think I'm better in person I think it probably because you dont have to see yourself so you can mostly ignore how bloody awful you look at a given moment. Never really seen myself on video and am more than happy to keep it that way and photo's there's some alright ones of me around (mostly head shots) but the majority aren't good but I think that applies to most people really. I put a couple of pictures up on FB reasontly to show the IRCer's some stuff and they both took me several shots till I had a picture I was happy with enough to put up.
Mr Fuzzy
There are few photos of me, and even fewer that don't make me scream and wave holy objects. I don't actually know of any video footage, but assume it would be better, if a little distressing to see myself. In person is probably the best option, as my constant stream of strange facial expressions probably seem less gruesome given proper context.

As an aside, I've read that Lincoln actually looked a lot better than photographs show him, as he was apparently quite an animated man.
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
QUOTE (Mata @ Jul 6 2010, 01:35 PM) *
Leo: yes, pretty much everyone dislikes the way their voice sounds in real life. We get so used to the version in our heads that it's hard to accept the outside version.

I have to explain this to new hearing aid users every day as it is the first thing most people complain about when the hearing aid is switched on.

I often look in the mirror and think I look alright, so long as I don't get too close because my nose is 90% blackheads. Other times I look in a mirror and wonder how it hasn't cracked. Same with pictures, I guess it's all about angle in the end really.

The only videos of me are from family holidays when I was younger and I think I look awful but then I think I looked awful between the ages of 12 and 18ish.
Yannick
Eugh, not videos, anything but videos. I think my voice sounds overly annoying in them. =/ This is also why I suck at phone calls. If it's someone I haven't talked to before, and they're expecting an accent because I'm in "the south", my voice gets all weird and it's not at all how I sound. Then I'll loosen up and I won't have one. The closest thing my accidental accent has been described as is southern Canadian, but I *don't* sound like that. I also tend to mispronounce words the more I feel like I have some weird accent. >_>

I feel about the same in pictures and person? Dunno..
mooooooooooopo
Not videos. Definitely not. There was a crew from the local news at my place of work recently, and I managed to be in the background for about 3 seconds; worst 3 seconds ever.

Photos are bad too. People always seem to catch me at the wrong moment. I'd probably prefer photos to videos, what CM said about moving awkwardly resonates with me a little.

So, I guess it'd have to be in person then. smile.gif
CrazyFooIAintGettinOnNoPlane
I think people who "photograph badly" just have crap photographers. Anyone passable can be made to look attractive with the right shot. On the other hand, people can have attractive features (e.g. a pretty smile) that only only come across when they are interacting with other people, which you wont see if they're posing for a camera, so it can go either way.

I can't smile on demand so I probably look better irl than I do in photos. Or at least, I hope I do.
Faerieryn
I am quite comfortable looking at myself on film but I looki thoroughly mongy in all photos. I either look drunk, or like Chunk from the goonies! I know I sound different on sound recording and I can't understand why people like what they hear but they do!
elphaba2
QUOTE (Yannick @ Jul 6 2010, 10:14 AM) *
Eugh, not videos, anything but videos. I think my voice sounds overly annoying in them. =/ This is also why I suck at phone calls. If it's someone I haven't talked to before, and they're expecting an accent because I'm in "the south", my voice gets all weird and it's not at all how I sound. Then I'll loosen up and I won't have one. The closest thing my accidental accent has been described as is southern Canadian, but I *don't* sound like that. I also tend to mispronounce words the more I feel like I have some weird accent. >_>

I feel about the same in pictures and person? Dunno..

Iz, pretty much all of populated Canada is southern. We talking Ontario here? Because, I mean, if so. We need to chat. Am currently reining myself in from calling the boy to make him tell me about his weekend out of the house. And any other subject I can think of that requires "ou" words to discuss.

I make a lot of faces all of the time--so I like videos of me, because they look like what I think I look like. I guess that means I like the impression I make in person? I don't know. Photos are somewhat touch and go, but I usually am OK with em. WHO KNOWS!

Does anyone else sometimes have difficulty recognizing old photos of themselves? I was given a shoebox of childhood photos recently and told to separate the ones my siblings & I weren't in and it was HARD to tell which little round-faced girl with stupid bangs was me.
Yannick
QUOTE (elphaba2 @ Jul 9 2010, 05:01 PM) *
Iz, pretty much all of populated Canada is southern. We talking Ontario here? Because, I mean, if so. We need to chat. Am currently reining myself in from calling the boy to make him tell me about his weekend out of the house. And any other subject I can think of that requires "ou" words to discuss.

Haha, no, I live in Florida. My friends and I do an occasional five-way phone call, and I live in Florida, one lives in California, one lives in Louisiana, and two live in Wisconsin. So the first time we did it, we were trying to figure out who was who by the accents. They expected me to have this like Southern "Ye-haw ya'll" accent because of the geographical location of my state, but I have.. just a general American accent because I'm in the suburbs of a major city, and.. we just talk, y'know, normally. So they started placing my accent, and decided it was Southern Canadian (opposed to Southern USA-ian), and it's just like "Noooo." I think it's because they told me to say "eh", and a bunch of other words, and when asked to say words on spot, my voice just get.. all.. wtf.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.