Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Would you remove a brain tumor?
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
LoLo
This is probably tasteless of me, but I often joke about having a brain tumor when I have a headache (I get them rather frequently) or when I do random things for no particular reason, like this evening when I kept randomly saying, "Yayyy!" So this got me thinking, what if all my quirky behavior were actually a brain tumor? Part of me thinks that my quirkiness is one of the things most people like about me, and I rather like it myself.

This got me thinking. If you had a brain tumor and found out that a part of your personality you really liked could be explained by this brain tumor and that the removal of it might end up leaving you without this personality trait, would you have it removed?
Yannick
...Would I die if I didn't get the tumor removed?
LoLo
QUOTE (Yannick @ Jul 19 2010, 07:28 PM) *
...Would I die if I didn't get the tumor removed?

In the scenario in my head, there's a possibility yes, but not high enough to make it be an immediate thing.

If it did shorten your life would that make a difference? What length of shortening would you consider it worth it?

So say you spend 15 more years of your life as a person you like vs getting 30 more years as a person you don't know and may not like?

What I was thinking in my particular case is the quirkiness goes away and suddenly I'm normal. Don't know that I could remove it and end up being normal, because normal just doesn't feel right. laugh.gif
Yannick
Honestly.. I can't see it changing my personality. As long as its removal wouldn't make me lose any memories, be gone with it. ..If it does, then I don't know. =/
leopold
/sings

You say "tumor" and I say "tumour"...

/stops singing

Okay, enough of the transatlantic spelling stuff and onto the serious business of answering the question.

If it were a benign tumour, I'd leave it. The surgery would probably do more damage.

If not, then I'd want it out of there pronto. Yes, it might contribute to quirkiness now, but what if it spread and started introducing other "quirky" behaviour, such as losing control of my bladder, or forgetting social niceties, or even suddenly becoming completely incapable of speech or mobility? Nah, too big a risk. It'd have to go.
Mata
Oo... I'd like to think that with an additional 15 years of life I could develop enough other charming personality traits that the removed quirkiness wouldn't be missed too much. I think I'd have it taken out - the risks of less desirable behaviour developing seem too great. There's a narrow borderline between 'quirky' one day and 'thinking it's funny to throw tables over in restaurants on a whim' the next.
CrazyFooIAintGettinOnNoPlane
I value my inclination towards self preservation, so I'm pretty screwed either way tongue.gif
elphaba2
Go, go, go. Get it gone. I'd be interested to meet the person I'd become afterward, and brain surgery is super freaking cool. Plus, I mean, I like my brain. Tumors don't make it better, they make it worse. Tumors interfere with, as Mata pointed out, normal functions. They get in the way. Even small, benign tumors can multiply and put pressure on important brain areas. I want that business in tip-top shape, which is why I wear bike helmets and eat lots of omega-3s and do crossword puzzles and don't black out every night. Or most nights. My brain is pretty much what I am obsessed with, with 'everyone else's brains' coming in at a close second. (disclosure: I study neuroscience)

EXCEPT. Not if it's gonna involve a bilateral hippocampal lesion or brain stem damage (oy). Those would be pretty extreme circumstances, but living a H.M.-y life would kill me, and losing a chunk of brain stem would, ya know, kill me.
Lurker in the Park
I'd probably do my own trepanning if it meant I could get the thing out any faster. I'm rather paranoid about my brain and how it functions as I have a history of Alzheimers in my family and every time I forget something I end up second guessing myself, so anything that is affecting my brain I want sorted now, preferably sooner.

elphaba2 What are the effects with either of the two things you mentioned? My biology knowledge is a bit sketchy.
Pikasyuu
QUOTE (Mata @ Jul 20 2010, 05:12 AM) *
Oo... I'd like to think that with an additional 15 years of life I could develop enough other charming personality traits that the removed quirkiness wouldn't be missed too much. I think I'd have it taken out - the risks of less desirable behaviour developing seem too great. There's a narrow borderline between 'quirky' one day and 'thinking it's funny to throw tables over in restaurants on a whim' the next.

I'm learning that these days.
Mata
Life is a constant education to all of us.

Lurker: I forget stuff all the time. I would like to think it's because I've got a very active mind that is regularly getting overrun with the awesomeness of dinoaurs and/or explosions. This means it doesn't have space for the less awesome things in life like buying courgettes.
LoLo
QUOTE (Mata @ Jul 21 2010, 05:36 AM) *
Life is a constant education to all of us.

Lurker: I forget stuff all the time. I would like to think it's because I've got a very active mind that is regularly getting overrun with the awesomeness of dinoaurs and/or explosions. This means it doesn't have space for the less awesome things in life like buying courgettes.

Just need to be able to pull the memories out of your brain and keep them safe in a vile, like in Harry Potter. laugh.gif
Phyllis
QUOTE (elphaba2 @ Jul 20 2010, 07:21 PM) *
Tumors don't make it better, they make it worse. Tumors interfere with, as Mata pointed out, normal functions. They get in the way. Even small, benign tumors can multiply and put pressure on important brain areas.

Exactly what I was thinking. I would absolutely get rid of it, unless the removal would be more dangerous than just leaving it. I care about my brain far more than I care about any fun personality quirks.

QUOTE (LoLo @ Jul 20 2010, 03:25 AM) *
I often joke about having a brain tumor when I have a headache

I do the opposite! I say, "It's not a tuumah!" Well, if my dad is around, I do, anyway. We like to keep our pop culture references super recent, you know. tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.