Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Awesome Word Thread!
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
Yannick
..So this will either be very lame or very cool depending on your linguistic interests. Besides, I have a weekly thread quota to meet (how else will I feed the children?), so you will get random things I feel are awesome.

Like the word bombastic!

Bombastic - noun - high-sounding language with little meaning, used to impress people

Okay, not that cool, but put it into the context of fluffing essays. If you don't pull off an essay successfully, you're said to 'bomb' it, but throw in some grandiloquent words and craftily weave sentences together, and you intermingle a would-be bomb with the guise of fantastic to get, bombastic!

... Yeah. I thought it was cool.. *nervously clicks post button*
elphaba2
Apotheosis.
Tarantio
I have lots of words I enjoy saying aloud. An old favourite is the rather obvious "Onomatopoeia", but I also enjoy the name "Farquhar". I'll come back and add others as I remember them smile.gif

Edit: Ooh! "Whedonism", since it pretty much is one itself.
LoLo
QUOTE (Yannick @ Sep 23 2010, 09:43 PM) *
..So this will either be very lame or very cool depending on your linguistic interests. Besides, I have a weekly thread quota to meet (how else will I feed the children?), so you will get random things I feel are awesome.

Like the word bombastic!

Bombastic - noun - high-sounding language with little meaning, used to impress people

Okay, not that cool, but put it into the context of fluffing essays. If you don't pull off an essay successfully, you're said to 'bomb' it, but throw in some grandiloquent words and craftily weave sentences together, and you intermingle a would-be bomb with the guise of fantastic to get, bombastic!

... Yeah. I thought it was cool.. *nervously clicks post button*

Ahhh now I have the song Mr. Bombastic going through my head! Thanks. dry.gif

I like the word piffle. It's fun to say and it means nonsense.
elphaba2
Se enmudecer. To make (oneself) fall silent.

Isn't that a useful word?
Faerieryn
One of my favourites at the minute is antithesis. I love it. And Oxymoron. And Juxtaposition. Of course I love making my own words up. Adding -idge to anything makes it that much more brilliant.
mooooooooooopo
'Hippopottomonstrosequiptaliaphobia' is a fun one.

As is 'ostensibly'.
Tarantio
QUOTE (moop @ Sep 25 2010, 04:41 PM) *

As is 'ostensibly'.

Is that an irrational fear of long words?
gothictheysay
Phantasmagoric comes to mind first for me. I love words, and I love that English has sooo many of them.
mooooooooooopo
QUOTE (Tarantio @ Sep 25 2010, 05:19 PM) *
QUOTE (moop @ Sep 25 2010, 04:41 PM) *

As is 'ostensibly'.

Is that an irrational fear of long words?

Yep. Someone clearly has a mean streak.
LoLo
pedantic

1. ostentatious in one's learning.
2. overly concerned with minute details or formalisms, esp. in teaching.

obsequious (learned this one from a they might be giants song. biggrin.gif)

1. characterized by or showing servile complaisance or deference; fawning: an obsequious bow.
2. servilely compliant or deferential: obsequious servants.
3. obedient; dutiful.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.