Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Embarrassing things parent do
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
LoLo
Your parents embarrass you I'm sure. So why not share a story of what they do?

I was sharing this in chat earlier...My mom often makes me feel like I'm no older than 12, and one of the ways she does this is to make me say, "Goodnight. I love you. See you tomorrow. Sweet Dreams." before going to bed. If I don't say it, she gets upset and thinks I'm mad at her. It's something we've done for as long as I can remember, but really I'm 31, do we still need to do this? Also she made me do this recently while I was on the phone with a friend.

So how about you? Do they show your naked pictures? Do they ask about your sex life? Come on. biggrin.gif
Pikasyuu
My mom, having come from a very humble background, likes to show off the newly remodeled bathroom - it cost her I don't know how much. The entire thing was redone; new cabinets (handmade), new granite countertop, lighting (with dimmers), paint job, bathtub, fixtures, towel bar, toilet, toilet roll holder, medicine cabinet, floors, everything. So she shows it to..well, everyone, and it's been about a year plus. In the same vein, whenever I visit her school, I am subsequently re-introduced to the entire staff. Granted, everyone knows we're related whether or not we're around one another (picture the exact same face on two different women), it's a little awkward sometimes to constantly go 'Oh, we've met.'

That said, my mom is generally..cooler than me. So I had to dig!
voices_in_my_head
Oh, god. Going to the doctor with my mom is the worst. Don't get me wrong - I love her, and I'm aware that her persistant questions are because she loves me, too, but christ, woman, must you really share EVERYTHING with the doctor? For example, awhile back I went into the doctor to get my anit-depressents checked up on and refilled. Without my mom there, the vist would've been like this:
Dr: So, any problems with your medicine?
Me: No, it's working perfectly.
Dr: So no (list side-effects)?
Me: nope, I think we're all clear.

And with my mom:
Dr: Any problems with the medicine?
Me: No, it's working perfectl-
Mom: She's been horribly constipated, and her period cramps have been worse this month.
Dr: um...
Me: *facepalm*
Daria
Those things are possibly useful for the doctor to know? You'll get to a point, if you haven't already, where you're so comfortable with your doctor that it won't be strange to talk about weekend plans with their fingers in your vagina, asking you to cough. At least I'm assuming that's not just me...

My mother used to walk around supermarkets, fart quietly, and move on. I would go to have a look at whatever she was just looking at, smell a smell, and realise that everyone around us would be looking at me- thinking I was the perpetrator. My mother is very strange and our relationship, although now normal, was pretty weird for a while. She manages to keep most of it hidden, however, in the most English of ways.
LoLo
QUOTE (Daria @ Oct 3 2010, 12:47 PM) *
My mother used to walk around supermarkets, fart quietly, and move on. I would go to have a look at whatever she was just looking at, smell a smell, and realise that everyone around us would be looking at me- thinking I was the perpetrator.

Mine does something similar, in that she farts all the time and a lot of the time it's in public. Sometimes we'll be walking through a store and it's just a *poot poot poot* with every step. It sounds kind of like a car that needs a new muffler. It's always a joy to be shopping with her when she has these episodes.
Mata
I think fleeing the nest when I was 19 was a very sensible thing to do. The worst my parents manage is my father occasionally asking loudly 'has anyone seen my camel' on public transport. He does this purely because it amuses him to be weird... It's just as well that doesn't run the in family huh.gif
Phyllis
QUOTE (LoLo @ Sep 29 2010, 11:19 PM) *
I was sharing this in chat earlier...My mom often makes me feel like I'm no older than 12, and one of the ways she does this is to make me say, "Goodnight. I love you. See you tomorrow. Sweet Dreams." before going to bed. If I don't say it, she gets upset and thinks I'm mad at her. It's something we've done for as long as I can remember, but really I'm 31, do we still need to do this? Also she made me do this recently while I was on the phone with a friend.

I remember you two doing this when I stayed with you! I'd forgotten about it until now.

My dad is...oh boy. Well. A few people on here have met my father (moop, Lo, and believe). I'd like to keep that number from growing, if at all possible. Don't get me wrong — I love him and all, but he's...I'm not sure of the word to describe him, really. Mom can be just as bad in other ways (oh, yes, please make yourself look like a complete racist in front of my friends you just met two seconds ago, Mom!).

From the time I was 11 until I was 17, my dad had a club. I don't mean an organization; I mean a wooden object that you beat things with. It once belonged to my grandmother, who used it to kill chickens or something. It had all sorts of dents and...blood stains. Anyway, he showed this club to every boy I was friends with, telling them it was used to "take care of" potential boyfriends for me and my sisters. Eventually, that wasn't enough for him. He started describing the stupid thing to any boy who was roughly my age, after asking if said boy knew me. I'm reasonably shy now, but back then, I was Queen of the Meek and Withdrawn. You can imagine how mortified I was.

I don't know what happened to The Club. As far as I know, he didn't show it to either of the men I actually married. It's entirely possible that I hid it/threw it away/burned the damn thing.
LoLo
QUOTE (Candllis @ Oct 4 2010, 05:07 AM) *
My dad is...oh boy. Well. A few people on here have met my father (moop, Lo, and believe). I'd like to keep that number from growing, if at all possible. Don't get me wrong I love him and all, but he's...I'm not sure of the word to describe him, really. Mom can be just as bad in other ways (oh, yes, please make yourself look like a complete racist in front of my friends you just met two seconds ago, Mom!).

Your dad is odd, but he's funny. I can see how he might be embarrassing being a father though, but as a spectator he's hilarious.
Tarantio
i think i got off fairly light in terms of my parents embarrassing me. My mum is about as un-cool a person as is possible to be, but she doesn't really go about showing it off much, so her three kids get on okay without too much bother. My dad is just a massively busy, hard-working person with no interest in embarrassing anyone, though i did pick up the majority of my embarrassing hobbies from him.

Of course, it was a different kettle of fish when i was younger and living at home. My mum's inherent anti-cool caused no end of facepalm moments. I think the worst had to be the time i stayed out at a mate's for the night and the following day she, aided by her then-drug-addled sister, reported me as a missing person, even though i'd told her where i was. The police showed up just as our host was rolling up one of his "medicinal" cigarettes...
Daria
Oh! Something else my mum used to do when I was much younger: if I had a friend round and got into trouble, she would tell me off in front of them and say something like "you're not too old to be sent to bed and [friend's name] can go home!". Looking back, it wasn't that awful but at the time it made me SO ANGRY *childrage*. Considering the things I did as a child (I would go hide in rails of clothing in shops and take all the tickets off the clothes; dance about in public and declare that I DID NOT NEED A WEE and then wet myself; lay kicking and screaming on the floor of supermarkets until I got my own way (usually I'd give up before this happened); play "hide and seek" with her but without her knowledge etc., etc.) to her, I guess she was well within her right to wind me up every now and again.

(another thing: if I EVER had round or even mentioned a male friend, she and my sister would give me the Spanish Inquesition about said boy. Luckily, usually when boy was not there.)
Yannick
My mom's actually pretty cool when it comes to not embarassing me. She.. has.. the ghettoest ring tone.. It's the ganster rap pre-set.. Luckily, I don't need her to chauffer me around anymore, but (and this is fairly recent, within the past few months) when she would pick up some of my friends to take us somewhere, her phone would inevitably go off, while I facepalmed in my seat, slouching down below the seatbelt. If I had any gansta friends, this would be over pretty well with them, and I'd get a "Yo dawg, yo mom is tight." ..It's more like "...Izzy.." "I know.."

She still hasn't changed it. I'll let her go on embarassing herself while maintaining a distance and momentarily suspending disbelief in sky fairies if she's within a certain proximity of me, the lapse of judgement swaying the sky fairy into making her battery die.. *nod*

I can just imagine stumbling upon some "Embarassing things my children do" thread. Oh man, that would suck.
voices_in_my_head
*sigh*
Daria, That's the same thing she tells me. It's not so much that he KNOWS those things that's embaressing, it's more that 1) I'm 18 years old and my mom takes it upon herself to speak for me, before I even get a CHANCE to tell him myself, and 2) she describes things in the least delicate way EVER.

Example:
My sister was really sick with the flu back when she was a sophomore in highschool. After three days of her not turning up, the school called her to asked where, exactly, Annie had been. Her response was "Oh, poor thing. She has it just POURING outta both ends, if you know what I mean."

I'll admit, though, for the most part, neither of my parents embaress me. I've come to accept that they're both very quirky people, and if someone doesn't appreciate that then boo on them. tongue.gif
Faerieryn
My mum can only be referred to as special. When I was a kid most of my friends thought she was cool in a weird way and I got used to being told it was cool if my mum came too. Now however, she can drive me crazy. She does the farting thing too, only she does it loudly. She has also been know to use the threat "I'll fart" if I don't want to do something she wants me to do. She is still able to embarass me in a split second but the worst thing is that she's actually fairly cool. I'd hate for my mum to be normal!
elphaba2
I think I embarrass my mother much more than she embarrasses me. Usually her friends get an earful about this Young Lady going away to a Respectable Uni and studying The Brain and then they meet this small creature with a decent amount of metal, feathers and wooden beads dangling from her body, crowing with excitement about having found three pumpkins in the dumpster. Tends to leave them all blink.gif
gothictheysay
Ryn - my father used to threaten to whistle and/or sing in the grocery store if my sisters and I were fighting. And the singing... well, he puts the wrong words to songs. Like Janis Ian's "Seventeen" has been reworked into a song about popping a zit. Worked like a charm on my older sister but I didn't care much biggrin.gif
Hobbes
Kinda falls into this category, but watching Borat with my dad and (*grumbles*) step-mother was embarassingly awkward at times.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.