Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Still Amazed
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
Pages: 1, 2
Hobbes
I can claim the benefits of education, partake in my own eagerness to learn independently about 'stuff', and have a seemingly-endless wealth of knowledge at my keyboard-tapping finger-tips...

BUT...

there are still some things that, despite a full (or at least, reasonably substantial) understanding of, continue to amaze me in a rather childish way; almost like I am still assuming magic must be involved as opposed to, say, physics.

For me, these things include:

~ Aeroplanes. Yes yes yes... I know how they manage to lift off into the sky, but when I'm walking along the street and look up to the clouds to see the winged tonnage soaring amongst them, the six-year-old within me expresses his disbelief: "They are HUGE! They don't seem to be flying THAT fast! Surely the only thing keeping it in the sky is sheer willpower?!"

~ Magnets. These things can move. They can MOVE without being actually TOUCHED. If that isn't magic, I don't know what is. And yep, even now, as I quickly approach my 28th ... 27th and 12 months ... next birthday, I can still occasionally be found running a magnet underneath a thin tabletop in order to make its partner appear to move on the surface: As.If.By.Thought.Alone! Or manipulating iron filings! Or seeing how strong a magnet is by creating strings of attracted paper clips to dangle from it. Or running a magnet over a CRT screen to make pretty colours, and then getting in a panic when the effect suddenly seems to have become permanent (and then remember the degauss button to make it all alright again).

~ Bubbles. Blah blah. Surface Tension. Blah blah. Surfactants. Blah blah. Elasticity. Pft, whatever. They are bubbbbbbles!! Having a niece means having an excuse to buy/make mixture and spend a summer's day blowing bubbles, catching them, attaching them to one another, enlarging them, popping them, getting mixture in your eye and blinding yourself briefly. Bubbles are great smile.gif

So. What do you still marvel at, even though you really should know better?
CrazyFooIAintGettinOnNoPlane
But science/technology IS amazing.

It's easy to trivialize these things just because they are familiar but that doesn't mean there's not crazy shizzle happening there.
Phantom
I feel like that about sunsets,
I know we spin around like crazy people around the sun like we have nothing better to do,
but when you just stand still and look at what the sun does with our sky, it just makes a total rainbow out of it. It looks like
the sun is getting touched by the sea making it disappear in a so wonderful moonlight. That still to my logics is so un-logically lit
by the sun that is so much further away from us.

Another thing that amazes me is coloured glass. I love it. I know how to produce them but still,
transparent colour that manipulate light! ITS AWESOME biggrin.gif
Pikasyuu
Probably human cruelty/sociopathic behavior/lack of empathy.
Short on time, sorry for the lack of depthhh. tongue.gif
Hobbes
QUOTE (Sharazad @ Feb 14 2011, 07:40 PM) *

Ah yes!

Stupidly, I often marvel that I can be chatting online to somebody a couple of thousand miles away, yet it is possible for us both to look out the window and see the same sun in the sky. I know it might seem obvious, but I find it rather wonderful to know that there's a shared visual feature, despite that kind of distance.
I_am_the_best
I get this with just... life. I mean, what the hell? Seriously just what happened?!
vicrawr
QUOTE (Hobbits @ Feb 14 2011, 04:57 PM) *

Ah yes!

Stupidly, I often marvel that I can be chatting online to somebody a couple of thousand miles away, yet it is possible for us both to look out the window and see the same sun in the sky. I know it might seem obvious, but I find it rather wonderful to know that there's a shared visual feature, despite that kind of distance.

I saw a really stellar sunrise this morning about 6 am. That part where the top of the sky is still blue and it gets brighter as it goes down to the horizon. Then it turns purple and orange and is just spectacular.
Pikasyuu
QUOTE (Vicatron @ Feb 14 2011, 02:56 PM) *
QUOTE (Hobbits @ Feb 14 2011, 04:57 PM) *

Ah yes!

I saw a really stellar sunrise this morning about 6 am. That part where the top of the sky is still blue and it gets brighter as it goes down to the horizon. Then it turns purple and orange and is just spectacular.

those colors actually inspired part of my dayan tattoo - from my window as the sun rises, you get a blue-to-yellow contrast that is strikingly deep, so the outside petals of the hibiscus are blue, they fade into a more slate color, and eventually become yellow towards the middle. my artist did a nice job shading.
mooooooooooopo
I know we spin around like crazy people around the sun like we have nothing better to do,
but when you just stand still and look at what the sun does with our sky, it just makes a total rainbow out of it. It looks like
the sun is getting touched by the sea making it disappear in a so wonderful moonlight. That still to my logics is so un-logically lit
by the sun that is so much further away from us.

I second that, still can't get my head around us spinning at 1000mph (at least at the equator) around the earth's centre and faster still around the sun.

It also boggles my mind that the atoms we're all made from are mostly empty space, kept apart by electron shells repelling each other (IIRC).
Hobbes
QUOTE (moooooooooooooooooooooooooop @ Feb 15 2011, 09:05 AM) *
I still can't get my head around us spinning at 1000mph (at least at the equator) around the earth's centre and faster still around the sun.

Ooh, that's a good one. We should all be clinging on for dear life!

I also find it astounding (and this can get somewhat existential if you let it) that my own existence, as a person, with the features I have, and the start at life I had, is reliant on one particular cell out of millions, meeting another particular one out of 400 or so. That is amazing enough, but even more amazing is when you consider how many times that has had to happen. i.e. it has occurred for each parent to exist, and then each parent of THAT parent, and each parent of THAT parent, etc. etc. etc. A massive, mind-blowing tree of incredible odds. And that's before you consider that, along the way, any one of them might not have surived long enough to reproduce, and could have ended/altered the chain that makes you who you are.

*explodes*
Phantom
QUOTE (I_am_the_best @ Feb 14 2011, 11:55 PM) *
I get this with just... life. I mean, what the hell? Seriously just what happened?!

Indeed like what? How come we can do all these amazing things (if you let go of the negative effects some choose to produce).
A small child in the uterus, coming out and everyone around can see the wonders of existence. The child making his/her first steps
exploring this big world where time does not exists yet, of following everything around them. Slowly experiencing what society means
and how social contacts have rules and boundaries. Enjoying how love lifts and hurts the mind and heart.. feeling life, and all the miracles
that exists around us. To be able and see and hear and smell and touch, everything gets more beautiful when you understand more and more about it.
Nature with her strange ways of being unpredictable and hard, but oh so beautiful, just like life
Hobbes
QUOTE (Sharazad @ Feb 15 2011, 10:50 AM) *
Enjoying how love lifts and hurts the mind and heart...

I'm not sure that the notion of love is considered to be "understood" yet. I know I certainly don't... smile.gif But it is still a valid example. I continue to be amazed at the creation of an emotional bond with someone (whether mutual or not), how it has formed, and the way it effects us: emotionally/mentally and physically. And these feelings can be positive, or negative, or sometimes even both. It's such a small and simple word, "love", but it encompasses a ludicrous amount of feelings.

Also...

The air is full of data! Bluetooth, and WiFi, and radiowaves, and microwaves, and infrared! But... but... we can't see it! And yet, statistically, there be must a moment when clumps of 0's and 1's are whizzing past our eyes. The back of my mind still thinks the world should look a bit 'duller' now compared to 25, 50, 100 years ago, as if light finds it harder and harder to pass through the ridiculous amount of data in the air smile.gif
Pikasyuu
love changes shape every second you're on earth.

the way i loved Dayan wasn't necessarily the same way i'd love somebody now, but i would never, ever not call it love, because it certainly was love at the time it existed - and still is now, in a quieter, more lonely way.

there's such a broad scope of emotions with loving someone. i find that it's incredibly rare for me to see someone and truly, really adore them without first thinking of what about them irritates me or why not to be with them, or even why it just wouldn't work. even when that exists, it isn't necessarily enough - there are circumstances, hurdles, the wrong time or place, but..i think even through all that, learning to appreciate and nurture the feeling just because of what it is (and because you never know when it might come along again) is a staple of actually caring about someone through and through. when, even after your own bitterness or pain at whatever might have happened falls away and the warmth itself is still there..i think that's something to hold onto.

the chairman in memoirs of a geisha makes several very good points about how you have to savor life. i get bored easily, so when little miracles come along or i feel something that i thought i was too jaded to feel, those are the times when you have to just stop and breathe in everything around you.
Daria
The sea amazes me. HUGE amounts of amazement, and I grin like a child whenever I learn something new that blows my mind about it.
Hobbes
QUOTE (Daria @ Feb 16 2011, 01:04 PM) *
The sea amazes me. HUGE amounts of amazement, and I grin like a child whenever I learn something new that blows my mind about it.

I absolutely agree. Even though I now live very close to the sea, and so the 'novelty' should perhaps have worn off, I could still easily spend hours just gazing out at the water.

Similarly, the stars. I am constantly in awe of those tiny points of light in the sky, and I find it difficult to draw my eyes away from them when necessary. And I always find it amazing that, technically, the points of light I am looking at could be from a star that doesn't even exist anymore.
Hobbes
QUOTE (Pikasyuu @ Feb 16 2011, 04:22 AM) *
love changes shape every second you're on earth.

the way i loved Dayan wasn't necessarily the same way i'd love somebody now, but i would never, ever not call it love, because it certainly was love at the time it existed - and still is now, in a quieter, more lonely way.

there's such a broad scope of emotions with loving someone. i find that it's incredibly rare for me to see someone and truly, really adore them without first thinking of what about them irritates me or why not to be with them, or even why it just wouldn't work. even when that exists, it isn't necessarily enough - there are circumstances, hurdles, the wrong time or place, but..i think even through all that, learning to appreciate and nurture the feeling just because of what it is (and because you never know when it might come along again) is a staple of actually caring about someone through and through. when, even after your own bitterness or pain at whatever might have happened falls away and the warmth itself is still there..i think that's something to hold onto.

This thread has changed into something I could not have preempted. From my thoughts of, "Oooh... bubbles! Oooh... magnets!" to discussions of love. It is good, and I like it smile.gif

Syuu, much of what you say makes me chuckle a little, simply because I was discussing similar things only last night, and you might as well have been in the room with me, listening, recording everything said and...

*looks under cushions and in cupboards*

okay, it's just a coincidence smile.gif

Seriously though. Much of it resonates profoundly. I still am constantly learning what love is, what it means, what effect it has, how to interpret it, and how to deal with it. Feeling 'in love' with somebody has, for me, always meant a risk of unrequited feelings. The assumption has generally been that it is not a mutual adoration and, no matter how much I want to be with someone, or share an aspect of my life with someone, it is not to be. Or the other person might already be in a relationship, or happy as they are, or would not want to be with me, or it just wouldn't work "logistically", or etc. etc. etc.

I have always found "unrequited love" to be difficult, often torturous. I, perhaps foolishly, find myself getting emotionally attached to people rather quickly, so am somewhat prone to developing strong feelings of affection for certain people. Couple this with not wanting to ruin a friendship by declaring an adoration, and you'll generally find that I don't often speak up about such things - holding back those good feelings, for fear or experiencing the bad things.

However, I am finding myself slowly being convinced otherwise by someone far, far wiser than I. And it's refreshing, and exciting, and intriguing.

It should be, and is, wonderful enough to be experiencing those kinds of feelings for someone, and to know that they are a part of my life - that I am lucky enough to have such feelings. It can be awkward to declare that you have a certain type of love for someone, and discover they don't feel the same way, but really that should not take anything away from how you feel.

I fear I am not articulating this well enough. And I certainly feel as though I am missing a crucial point along the way.

That final line of Syuu's paragraph I quoted says much of it, in a far more concise form:

"even after your own bitterness or pain at whatever might have happened falls away and the warmth itself is still there..i think that's something to hold onto."

I am starting to feel like I am being granted permission to love. That it is actually 'okay' to love someone, even if there is little or no chance of it blossoming into whatever romantically idealist fantasy I might be desperately hoping for - whether that is because of their own feelings, the situation, or because it is actually better for me to NOT be in that relationship. But that's fine. It doesn't make the love any less real.

For me, that's new.

I think I'll finish here, and wander off in the distance with an aura about me that says something beautiful... something meaningful... something like: "Hmm... I suck at explaining stuff" smile.gif
Phantom
QUOTE (Hobbits @ Feb 16 2011, 04:26 PM) *
I think I'll finish here, and wander off in the distance with an aura about me that says something beautiful... something meaningful... something like: "Hmm... I suck at explaining stuff" smile.gif

Woaw, the words and the way you wrote is better than I could ever explain myself.
You and syuu make me feel ok, about the choices I recently made in my life.

Love frightens me, always makes me feel I have to project something different than what and who I am.
Love hurts me, whenever I have to end things that, probably where perfect.
Love.. I love it, it makes the world disappear and stand still, like I don't need to breath, like I only exist as a heartbeat.
Love is the only feeling I want to feel if I ever have to choose.

I never worry about the love not being mutual or not, even though it's of course always nicer if it is.
I just want to know I can still love whatever happens in my life, whatever I had to or have to face,
I know as long as I can love someone or something I will be happy.

Now for less heavy things, somehow I do not understand mirrors, how it feels like they can see you tongue.gif I always feel like a little kid when I watch myself, always try to make funny faces like it is someone else I am looking at, hehe.
Hobbes
QUOTE (Sharazad @ Feb 16 2011, 03:54 PM) *
Now for less heavy things, somehow I do not understand mirrors, how it feels like they can see you tongue.gif I always feel like a little kid when I watch myself, always try to make funny faces like it is someone else I am looking at, hehe.

Hehe. Gimme a couple of mirrors facing one another, and I still enjoy the infinity! Similarly, pointing a camera at a screen which is displaying the camera's view, and creating a swirling distance of infinite repetition. Never fails to amuse me.
gothictheysay
Speaking of data-related things, yeah, cell phones. I don't understand most technology other than on the surface, but for some reason cell phones seem really special.
Hobbes
QUOTE (gothictheysay @ Feb 17 2011, 04:28 AM) *
Speaking of data-related things, yeah, cell phones. I don't understand most technology other than on the surface, but for some reason cell phones seem really special.

Hehe... even when I had to learn a little bit about how cell phones and the cellphone network works, it still didn't stop me thinking how unbelievable it all seems wink.gif
voices_in_my_head
QUOTE (Hobbits @ Feb 16 2011, 08:51 AM) *
Similarly, the stars. I am constantly in awe of those tiny points of light in the sky, and I find it difficult to draw my eyes away from them when necessary. And I always find it amazing that, technically, the points of light I am looking at could be from a star that doesn't even exist anymore.

The stars are the first thing I thought about when I saw this thread. They're so far away that my mind couldn't even begin to comprehend the distance, and yet they're there every night, shining away. While humans live, love, work, and die, these stars have been the same as they always were. It's almost poetic - while we've toiled away creating new technologies and generations, while languages, fashions and entire cultures have faded in and out of existance, the very same stars have been watching us.
Phantom
Music, sound and music instruments!
I_am_the_best
^YES! I really think music is just like another logical system, equal with maths and language.

Also sight. That's weird. I mean I understand the physics of it, but still - it blows my mind!
voices_in_my_head
The thing that still trips me up the most about sight is the fact that we really see everything upside down...but our brains do their brain-magic and turn it all the right-side-up.
Hobbes
QUOTE (voices_in_my_head @ Feb 18 2011, 05:43 PM) *
The thing that still trips me up the most about sight is the fact that we really see everything upside down...but our brains do their brain-magic and turn it all the right-side-up.

Yeah, I was reading something recently about a guy who experimented on himself by wearing glasses that flipped the world upside down. After some time, his brain took over, and everything looked the right way around again.
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
QUOTE (Hobbits @ Feb 18 2011, 05:50 PM) *
QUOTE (voices_in_my_head @ Feb 18 2011, 05:43 PM) *

Yeah, I was reading something recently about a guy who experimented on himself by wearing glasses that flipped the world upside down. After some time, his brain took over, and everything looked the right way around again.

Three days! It takes three days for your brain to adapt to upside down glasses and then three days to adapt when you stop wearing them.
voices_in_my_head
I learned about that in my Psychology class, oddly. The entire section about how we perceive things could easily go in this thread. Like, there are colors that humans can't see - it's something that seems so obvious and yet when you think about it, it's bizarre. It's impossible to know what those colors look like...because we've never seen them (and likely never will) it's impossible for us to even imagine them.

Even more amazing to me is the fact that the world exists only as we perceive it. At any given time, my brain is busy processing thousands upon thousands of sensations and then interprets them to create the world I live in. Pressure on my skin turns to weight, light turns to vision and so on.

Actually, I guess you could say that the human being in general is an amazing thing, not just our brains. We're essentially a skin-covered sack of meat and bones (and water) that somehow manages not only to live, but to think, reason and experience emotions.
Hobbes
QUOTE (voices_in_my_head @ Feb 18 2011, 08:54 PM) *
We're essentially a skin-covered sack of meat and bones

Stop it, you're making me hungry!

QUOTE (voices_in_my_head @ Feb 18 2011, 08:54 PM) *
Even more amazing to me is the fact that the world exists only as we perceive it. At any given time, my brain is busy processing thousands upon thousands of sensations and then interprets them to create the world I live in. Pressure on my skin turns to weight, light turns to vision and so on.

This can get pretty mind-blowing. Although we communicate with one another regarding our sensory experiences, and we might agree with each other's descriptions, that doesn't mean we do ACTUALLY feel the same. It is just that the description is the same in both our mind's.

I am colour-blind, and aware that I apparently see the world a bit differently to others. Do people also hear things slightly differently, or feel things slightly differently? And I mean, without considering various disabilities/diseases/abnormalities that could cause it... just differences in perception. Possibly HUGE differences?
Daria
"Do people also hear things slightly differently, or feel things slightly differently? And I mean, without considering various disabilities/diseases/abnormalities that could cause it... just differences in perception. Possibly HUGE differences? "
THERE IS NO UNANIMOUS PERCEPTION!

I for one have synaesthesia.
Mata
Laura has got a spookily good sense of taste and smell, whereas I have slightly abnormally good hearing in the higher pitch ranges (I can often hear bats or the whine of a television being turned on through several walls). Beyond all of the freakish coincidences that make up who we are when we were born, we then get all the weird quirks of our senses that then twist us into even stranger shapes.

Dogs are pretty amazing - they're the species with the most diverse physical characteristics that we know of. One dog can be perfectly healthy and something like six times taller than a dog of another breed... And those two dogs could still have puppies (technically, although stepladders would probably need to be involved somewhere).

Speaking of such things, killer whales and dolphins can have babies - they are different species! The point of being a species is that you can't breed with other species. That's like saying that Captain Kirk has got strangely coloured children spread across the universe. It's just crazy, but it's true. Also, I've got a lot of respect for the dedication of the dolphins who try this...

Locks - they're bloody amazing. We've worked out a way to make machines that can tell one nearly-identical jagged piece of metal from another! Incredible! I have sometimes thought that if I were born in medieval times I would have been a locksmith - I'm not sure why, but that makes sense in my head.

NOW - the world around us in Western society is flipping amazing! Sure, we've not got jet boots and flying cars, but have you seen what your phone can do? I first got online about 17 or 18 years ago and the web was almost entirely text. Now people are recording moments of their lives and streaming straight out to the whole world.

Cameras - !!!

I think I need to stop for the moment before I go ahead and list everything in existence.
Cath Sparrow
Apart from a lot of the other things mentioned I think frost and snow are pretty amazing. The pattens the ice crystals form.
Phantom
I am always amazed by the idea that if I would lay every hair I have around the world I could go round it 1,5 time XD
Hobbes
QUOTE (Dread Pirate Cath @ Feb 20 2011, 02:00 PM) *
Apart from a lot of the other things mentioned I think frost and snow are pretty amazing. The pattens the ice crystals form.

Snow always evokes the child in me. There are plenty of people who dislike it, would rather it kept away, and have bad experiences with it, and I can obviously understand that. But, personally, I see snow and my heart is immediately filled with a warm glow, and I get an incredibly comforting feeling. Sure, I live incredibly close to work so I don't have to worry about traffic issues, I have services and family very nearby, so I don't feel that I would ever be (at the moment) particularly "cut off" due to snow unless I was out and about somewhere beforehand. But I still love the stuff. For me, the only bad side is if I look out the window after it has snowed, to discover that it has barely covered the ground. I want several inches! ... I want it deep! ... I like a lot of snow!

tongue.gif
Hobbes
QUOTE (Daria @ Feb 20 2011, 03:20 AM) *

Don't look at me in that tone of voice, it smells a funny colour.

huh.gif

I think a lot of people have synaesthetic moments from time to time. I certainly don't experience it in any way that people diagnosed as synesthetes would, but there's been occasions when a sense responds involuntarily to something that I wouldn't expect. The particular example that springs to mind would be seeing a photograph of my infant school, and suddenly being able to smell the kitchens there. It's memory-based, and an isolated case, but it still is a shock.

Mata
I feel loud sounds with the jelly in my eyes. Does that count? biggrin.gif (I'm not kidding, I really do. I can feel my eyes vibrate with the sound waves. It's really very unpleasant.)
Phantom
QUOTE (Mata @ Feb 20 2011, 07:38 PM) *
I feel loud sounds with the jelly in my eyes. Does that count? biggrin.gif (I'm not kidding, I really do. I can feel my eyes vibrate with the sound waves. It's really very unpleasant.)

I have random vibrations, sometimes it lasts for 30 min XD
Lurker in the Park
QUOTE (Daria @ Feb 20 2011, 03:20 AM) *
"Do people also hear things slightly differently, or feel things slightly differently? And I mean, without considering various disabilities/diseases/abnormalities that could cause it... just differences in perception. Possibly HUGE differences? "

Well there is sort of, in that what I call red, you also call red despite the fact that we could be perceiving it in completely different ways.

I'm quite impressed by the fact that I have more effective medicines in this room than existed 150 years ago and it's only two packs of Beechams and a box of Strepsils. Also, I'm having a discussion with half a dozen people in almost real time and listening to a bunch of guys from the other side of the world. Modern life, it's rather good innit.

P.S. Mata, the locksmith thing probably goes with the games design. Basically its a puzzle to solve.
Phantom
I am going to start the love thing again...
I am still amazed that you can suddenly meet someone who is amazing and give you loads of butterflies smile.gif
<3
Pikasyuu
do eet! go sara!
in that vein, human resilience?
Mata
Human stupidity too, unfortunately!
Phantom
feeling is sometimes enough, acting will come when my stupidity is faded XD
Phantom
Air plains! they can take us everywhere nowadays! its truly amazing
Pikasyuu
airplanes scare me - which everyone who even vaguely, slightly, possibly knows me totally understands. airplanes are amazing, absolutely, but if something goes wrong, you're pretty much ded.
anyway, on the topic of resilience.. i'm constantly hearing things like 'my two children and husband/wife were all killed instantly.' how those people get up in the morning and still remain intact enough to function and harbor the willpower to go on and make something from nothing is so impressive and inspiring. it truly proves that people can weather so, so much more than we give ourselves credit for.
Moosh
Pretty much anything man made amazes me. I'm constant catching myself stopping and staring at something thinking "Not only did someone have the idea for that, someone had the skill to implement that idea." I'm in awe of engineers and people who, when given an idea, can think "I know how to do that".
Phantom
clouds biggrin.gif so much work for nature to make them, and they can take on so many shapes (preferably the fluffy white clouds, so awesome).
Hobbes
QUOTE (Sharazad @ Feb 24 2011, 07:32 AM) *
clouds biggrin.gif so much work for nature to make them, and they can take on so many shapes (preferably the fluffy white clouds, so awesome).

I have never grown out of watching clouds; enjoying their shapes and patterns. As I left work this afternoon, I spotted a cloud that was lit in such a way that it seemed as though it had been photoshopped onto the sky - it was marvellous, but so unreal smile.gif

I find dreams amazing, too. The idea that our brain runs away with itself a few times each night, often in a seemingly random way, and yet the images and stories it creates can be incredibly vivid, and real, and believable... or sometimes total lunacy. But still, the sleeping brain amazes and interests me.

Ashbless
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE_USPTmYXM&feature=aso

This. I'm amazed by spaceships. I get little kid happy watching a satellite float across the night sky. The science boffins think up amazing things to show us.
Hobbes
QUOTE (Ashbless @ Mar 1 2011, 04:10 PM) *

This. I'm amazed by spaceships. I get little kid happy watching a satellite float across the night sky. The science boffins think up amazing things to show us.

Wow. I just spent a few minutes watching various launch videos, and you are right smile.gif It would be amazing to see a launch.
Phantom
QUOTE (Ashbless @ Mar 1 2011, 05:10 PM) *

awesome link biggrin.gif
Mata
WD40 and superglue. Weird chemical things that are so useful in so many ways.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.