Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cat sitting and allergies
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Mata
Despite me being allergic to cats, for some reason Laura decided that cat sitting for a week would be a good idea. Bleh! I feel like my head is going to explode. I've been told that this generally passes after a week (although sometimes longer) - does anyone have any experience of this?
LoLo
Sometimes giving a cat a bath will help reduce the allergins. Other than that, just stock up on the drugs to help.
I_am_the_best
Poor you!! I totally relate!

Try and keep the cat in only one room of the house, so that when you feel really terrible you can just go elsewhere. Also vacuum that area a lot to get rid of the hair (although you might want someone else to do the vacuuming if you're also allergic to dust and things?)

Take Piriteze or other antihistamine every morning! Better to take it before the streaming, itchy eyes and stuffy head sets in smile.gif

I don't know about the allergy passing, although over the 10 or so years I was having piano lessons with my old teacher, my allergy to her cat seemed to affect me less and less. It may be because she moved house to one without a carpet and therefor less stray cat hair?

For symptomatic relief... ice cubes/cucumber on the eyes, cold drinks, showers, naps (more of an avoidance!).

Anyway, DON'T TOUCH IT. Although you probably already knew that. However cute and squidgey and soft the cat looks. It's just so tempting, though. And if you, wash your hands immediately!

I hope the cat goes away soon! sad.gif (Sorry to cat lovers. I really am not one. Urgh)
Mata
The end result of the week was that I was significantly less blocked up and sneezy after seven days. I did really enjoy the company of the cat too. After some research online I've found out that female cats have less allergens than male cats, and neutered cats have the least of all...

And now I've bought one from an animal shelter! She's 2 and we've called her Bellatrix Lestrange.
Tarantio
It's bad that I went to click "Like" on this, right?

Cats are awesome pets; counting the four my family currently has, I've had Janine, Sophie, Dylan, Ziggy, Wallace, Moses, Casper, Pepper, Millie, Alfie, Smudge and Missy.

Prrrr... biggrin.gif
Phantom
That is soo cool biggrin.gif and an awesome name, congrats and many good days I wish you biggrin.gif

meow
CrazyFooIAintGettinOnNoPlane
pics!
Mata
I'd need her to stop hiding in the darkness all the time before I can take a photo. Also, she's easily scared at the moment (I'm not sure about her history pre-shelter, only that 'her owner couldn't look after her') so I suspect firing a flash in her direction wouldn't be the best move.

She's warming up to me though - she let me stroke her last night and she seemed to really like it, but I have to reach under the bed to be able to do it because she doesn't like coming out much when we're moving around in the house. She's got the place to herself for a few hours today so hopefully she'll prowl a bit and feel more comfortable tonight.
LoLo
She'll come out eventually. My shelter cat took about a week to stop hiding in the closet, but she did come out. She didn't become a lap cat though, until we got a kitten and he taught her it was ok to sit in laps. Then they fought over lap space. Mine apparently had been beaten with a hairbrush, because she would flee whenever we had to get one to brush our hair.

Oh and if you can get a window seat to add to a window, she might like that.

Good luck with your new cat!

Pikasyuu
since mouse was a runt and we got her as a kitten, she had to be kept in a large crate for a while that i just sat with me on the bed when i slept. around the third day, we (very gently) let her wander around the house - at the time, brody had just lost her leg and the other cat we have, who is muuuuch larger, was acting a little wild, so we had to be careful. i'd say she was around the size of a large rat when we began letting her survey her new grounds. luckily these days, the little brat isn't shy about going anywhere - especially not into window sills about 20ft up. wink.gif she's still unusually small, so, not allowed to be outside.
Hobbes
I've had feline-access of various sorts for most of my life, despite the fact that my sister is allergic to them. We looked after a couple of strays when I was younger and, once my sister had left home, the surviving one started to spend time in the house too as she had become very tame. When we moved, we even took her with us smile.gif

Then I lived with someone for a couple of years who had four cats. But the past three years have been relatively cat-less. I kiiiiiinda would like to get one, but because of my sister I've always held back. Sure, she can take tablets, and I can hoover myself down, etc. etc. but it just seems like causing a problem in order to have an animal that - at the moment - I don't especially crave. I like cats, but I don't feel like I NEEEEEEED to have one.

Perhaps in a few years.
Ashbless
Cats seem to sense a home opening and grab it. Both my current cats I have as a result of "I'll look after him/her for a bit till their slave comes back."

Whoever lost their black kitten at the daycare center 16 years ago probably won't be back but I still hold out hope that Chloe the mischievous will go back to her person.
Still - it's been 7 months. dry.gif
Mata
So far I've not really had any problems with allergies. There's been a bit more sneezing and a bit more stuffiness, but overall it's going really well.

More of the problem is that she has a litter tray but seems pretty inconsistent in using it. So far she's pissed on two rugs and my gaming bean bag (twice). I'm going to be getting lots of lemons later and dousing the rugs with them - apparently the smell of lemons puts them off. I'll also be occasionally put cat food treats in the areas that she's pissed - they don't like to piss where they get food, so that will hopefully discourage her in the future.

I think she came from an old lady before us (for that read 'mad old cat woman who didn't look after them at all and probably died surrounded by them and was then eaten by kittens for three weeks until her body was found'), so I suspect that training her urination probably wasn't a high priority.

She's getting a bit braver - she comes out of the spare room a lot more often, but she's very nervous of noises and she hates having a hand over her head (even if she nuzzled herself into that position). She loves being stroked, but she's not worked out yet that nothing is going to harm her.
Phyllis
Does her litter tray have a lid, or is it inside a box of some sort? I've had cats who hated using litter trays if they were enclosed in any way. If it does have a lid, try taking it off. Might help! Cats can also be finicky about the brand of litter. Mine always seemed to prefer the ones with a texture near sand.

Citrus in general is supposed to be off-putting to cats, but I've never had much success with it. Be careful with the lemons; they can have a mild bleaching effect (which, incidentally, makes them great for cleaning grout between tiles). It's probably best to try it on an inconspicuous area of the rugs first. smile.gif

It might just be that she is stressed due to her change in circumstances, and peeing all over the place as a result. If that's the case, it'll probably resolve itself with time as she gets used to your home and you and starts to realise that she's safe there. Good luck!
Daria
Sprinkling lavender oil in the areas you don't want them to wee in also works (also orange- cats hate citrus in general).

My two now live with me in the icy north. There's a cat that belongs to the flat more than any one person- Mimi- who is older and much less tolerant of change, and whose favourite magic trick is getting into the front hall to wee on the doormat because THIS IS HER HOUSE, DAMNIT!
To start with my two had a litter tray in my bedroom (the only room I could close them in at night) but they've now got used to using the catflap and going outside. It was a bit like pottytraining a child, except there were two of them, they're sneakier and much more hell bent on pooping over the side.
Ashbless
She could be trying to mark everything as hers. There may be an orange spray at the pet store that's fabric friendly.

How goes the eyedrops experience? Is your lady managing to corner stealth cat for administration?
Mata
Her eyes seem to be doing fine by themselves - it looks like the shelter managed to do enough themselves to get her to heal up naturally.

They didn't cut her claws though so I have a fair number of scratches from general play. She's becoming a lot more kitten-ish as she's getting more comfortable. It's really nice smile.gif

We caught her trying to pee on the wrong things twice in one day and shouted at her for that - she's not tried it since so I'm hoping that she's understood now that the rug and my beanbag are not toilets!

The hayfever seems to be hitting me harder this year, which I suspect is a cumulative effect with the existing cat allergens around the place, but overall it's going very well.
Phantom
Your cat looks a lot like mine (physically), she sounds very sweet smile.gif
Unfortunately I don't get to see my cat since it lives with my mom.
Mine was a stray, he always had to fight for himself, and that leads
him to be rather violent and aggressive, especially towards other cats
(probably why I like him heheheh). It took me a year to gain his trust.
I recognize the 'I want to be patted but don't know where and how'. Mine
wants to be stroked on his belly, but when you try you lose your hand tongue.gif
If you may ever fins your hand back it's all scratchy hahah. But it just takes
a long while. They can get hurt very deeply and sometimes lose their trust.
But I am sure you will gain hers smile.gif

Good luck with your allergies wink.gif
Pikasyuu
them having not clipped or removed her claws is a gooood thing.
we used to have our catseses' claws removed, but we had a kitten called elliott who passed away during the procedure. it's cruel and it can kill them, and we were all pretty devastated about the whole thing. mouse has claws that are about 30x the size she is, but we try and make sure she keeps them out of the furniture. ;)
Mata
Removing claws sounds quite unpleasant for the cat. I don't think I'd like to have my nails pulled out by a surgeon or anyone else!

I think she's beginning to get the idea that I don't like them sticking into me. She's quite good about it most of the time, but sometimes the stroking is just too nice and she gets carried away I think!
elphaba2
If she starts to hang out near you / be OK with being stroked and praised, you might be able to clip her nails without too much fanfare. It's not difficult, and it's not unpleasant for the cat, and you save a bundle in scratches. Get her settled in your lap, pat or gently stroke her paws so she gets used to you touching them, then squeeze her toe-pads to unsheath the claw and carefully clip well above the quick. For the first time, you might even do one claw at a time, with breaks for stroking, treats, nice words / letting her stalk off and get used to how absurd the giant scratching post is being.

I realize how ridiculous this advice sounds when you have a near-feral cat. But once she warms up--consider it! You can use small human-nail clippers or get the curvier-cat-nail-clippers.

(Declawing, on the other hand, is pretty much the definition of horrible.)
LoLo
Could also get her something like this and that might work. I must admit though, I've just seen this on tv and don't know how it really works.
Mata
She loves her scratching post, so I suspect she wouldn't have any paws left if we got one of those!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.