Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: England gets Another American
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
LoLo
Most people know this from Facebook, but I applied to some grad schools in England and was accepted into all of the ones I applied to. I have officially accepted an offer to study a Master's of Arts in Communication Design at the Winchester School of Arts starting this September and going through August of next year. I'm excited and just wanted to share, again!
Phyllis
Excellent. My plot for us to take over is coming along nicel...

Err...I mean...congrats! biggrin.gif

innocent.gif
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
WHOO!

I've said this already but congratulations!! So excited for you smile.gif
Hobbes
Congratulations smile.gif
mooooooooooopo
Huzzah! The net we set up is proving rather effective.

Congrats!
vicrawr
Like.
Phantom
biggrin.gif I think it's so amazing that you totally went for it!
You're so cool! I wish you the best of luck and I hope
England will be an awesome part of your life my dear smile.gif
Mata
I've said 'well done' elsewhere, but here I'm going to ask: what precisely is Communication Design?
LoLo
It's basically a fancy name for graphic design. The courses I have to take are:

publishing
multi-lingual typographic design
brand identity lens and digital imaging
entrepreneurship
digital editing
applied image making
advertising planning and strategy
management of design
art direction

If that helps narrow down the idea of what I'll be doing. smile.gif

I'm actually relived to actually be in a program with an end date. The uni I've been studying at for the last two years keeps saying it's going to take longer. When I started 2 years ago they said 3 years to graduate and now I still have 2-3 years left. I'm not sure how that works. Sorry just felt ranty apparently. lol
CrazyFooIAintGettinOnNoPlane
Cool. Congratulations smile.gif
Pikasyuu
woot!
Mata
Interesting. It sounds good - the emphasis on the business side should be really beneficial. Is that a two year course? That sounds like a lot to put in one year.
LoLo
QUOTE (Mata @ May 11 2011, 11:56 AM) *
Interesting. It sounds good - the emphasis on the business side should be really beneficial. Is that a two year course? That sounds like a lot to put in one year.

It is indeed a year. I'm going to be busy busy busy. I'm supposed to leave trained at a level to immediately go into a management position within the design field. I'm not saying that's going to happen, but that's how they say I should leave. biggrin.gif
Mata
Awesome smile.gif That sounds like a really cool direction for the course.

We do something similar for our students - one of our course's learning lines trains them up to be able to run their own indie games development companies, complete with knowledge of how to apply for a grant to start their company. I think it's a brilliant thing to teach people.
Faerieryn
Fabulous. You must come and visit us!
LoLo
QUOTE (Faerieryn @ May 15 2011, 02:47 AM) *
Fabulous. You must come and visit us!

Can I come and hassle Trevor on Matt's show in person? lol
Hobbes
QUOTE (LoLo @ May 15 2011, 04:46 PM) *
Can I come and hassle Trevor on Matt's show in person? lol

Can't we all just pile into the studio together?
LoLo
It's on facebook, but, I booked my tickets today and I leave September 13th and arrive on the 14th! School starts on the 29th, so that gives me 2 weeks got adjust to the time change and find out how to get to school. \o/

Now, just to deal with the visa application.
Phantom
Congratulations biggrin.gif
Mata
I bet you didn't think this would be the result when you joined the forums eight years ago smile.gif
LoLo
I sure didn't. This forum is definitely a special place and different than most places on the internet. I thought it was cool that I new some people in a faraway land, but I never imagined I would even make it out there, let alone move there. Most of the other places I went to, I made some friends, but I can count the number of them I trusted enough to meet in person on 1 hand, and through this place I've met well over 40 great individuals. Now I'm getting to sappy. laugh.gif
Hobbes
Muahaha! Soon, we will have her RIGHT where we want her. Muhahahahahahahahetc.

P.S. Yay \o/
Mata
Shh, don't blow the cover. Hide the wicker man until she arrives on the island...
LoLo
Just being silly but...five weeks from now I'll be on a plane headed there. *dances*
Cath Sparrow
I'm pretty sure sillyness is allowed round here. tongue.gif
Pikasyuu
SO EXCITE.
prepare, england. this winter, you will be americanized.
LoLo
IT'S SEPTEMBER!

I leave on the 13th arrive on the 14th. YAYYYYYY

All of my stuff has been shipped. The movers have been paid. The visa has been issued. The tickets have been purchased. All I need to do now is pack my clothes, get on the plane and go. biggrin.gif
Hobbes
QUOTE (LoLo @ Sep 1 2011, 10:11 PM) *
All I need to do now is pack my clothes, get on the plane and go. biggrin.gif

That last bit is reasonably important.
Phantom
Awesome Lo, very exciting ^^
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.