Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Notts Meet, Saturday September 10th
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
froggle-rock
Hey all,

I'll be in Nottingham on the 10th of September, and was wondering who's up for a bangers and mash pub lunch at Royal Children pub?

happy.gif
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
I might be persuaded... not got any plans that weekend (as far as I know) and has been ages since I was last in Nottingham!
mooooooooooopo
Candice and I can make it. biggrin.gif
Cath Sparrow
I need to sort some details but there's a fair chance I'll make it.
Mata
Nope, but let me know next time you're cruising to through NL smile.gif
froggle-rock
Okies, booked my tickets today (18 rtn on Megatrain, woop!).

Will get into Nottingham for 0930, and get a 2115ish train back to London.

Look forward to seeing you guys happy.gif
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
What's the plan for meeting up then? When/where etc.

If we're going to be late I might have to rethink my plan... was going to park at the Park & Ride but that closes at 7.30!
froggle-rock
After a bit of chat in IRC, we've decided to have lunch at The Royal Children, then do some geocachin pub crawling.

If anyone wants my number, pls ask smile.gif
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
Not long now!

Where are we meeting and at what time?
Usurper MrTeapot
Ouch. Did this happen at all?

Thinking of Mata's post...has the possibility of a matazone meet happening in NL been considered? We could do a beano on the ferry.
BigMistake
QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Sep 29 2011, 05:52 PM) *

Thinking of Mata's post...has the possibility of a matazone meet happening in NL been considered? We could do a beano on the ferry.

I'd totally come if I wasn't one of Mata's students happy.gif.
Phyllis
QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Sep 29 2011, 04:52 PM) *

It did! Froggy didn't make it, but the rest of us were there. And we managed to snare a Wyvern as well. biggrin.gif
Usurper MrTeapot
QUOTE (BigMistake @ Sep 29 2011, 10:49 PM) *
I'd totally come if I wasn't one of Mata's students happy.gif.

In a way, aren't we all Mata's students?
Mata
Don't let being a student hold you back - that didn't stop Phantom biggrin.gif
BigMistake
QUOTE (Mata @ Oct 1 2011, 05:38 PM) *

So that wouldn't totally be weird?
Usurper MrTeapot
Not at all, BigMistake. I could practice my dutch on you, een biertje, alstublieft.
BigMistake
QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Oct 2 2011, 12:36 AM) *
Not at all, BigMistake. I could practice my dutch on you, een biertje, alstublieft.

Sorry, ik drink geen alcohol. Ik zou wel een rondje voor Matazone willen betalen.
Usurper MrTeapot
Ik drink allan alcohol.

I'm struggling with your second sentence, is it if "I will if Mata is willing to buy a round."
BigMistake
QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Oct 2 2011, 11:16 AM) *
Ik drink allan alcohol.

I'm struggling with your second sentence, is it if "I will if Mata is willing to buy a round."

Google Translate would tell you that I offered to buy the peeps of Matazone a round if there ever was a meet in The Netherlands, even though I don't drink alcohol myself. Also, you're missing a "g" at the end of "allan".
Usurper MrTeapot
I was trying not to use a translator. Also, I think i was going for alleen, I only drink alcohol.
BigMistake
QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Oct 2 2011, 04:39 PM) *
I was trying not to use a translator. Also, I think i was going for alleen, I only drink alcohol.

Okay, so you never drink any juice, soft drinks, dairy, stuff like that? tongue.gif
Usurper MrTeapot
Nope. I live on Guinness.

I played it out wittier in my head.

~~~~w~a~v~y~~l~i~n~e~s~~~~

The door opens and BigMistake turns around and sees Teapot struggling to work the door hand while shaking the rain off his umbrella.

Teapot places his umbrella in the umbrella holder by the door and sighs, victorious. He brushes his hair to one side and takes a step into the bar, only to immediately trip on the doormat and stumble forward several places. He sighs, defeated, and brushes his hair to one side. It is only a few more steps to BigMistake, who plants a hand on his shoulder.

"Ah, Teapot! Wil u biertje?"

"Ja, graag. Een biertje blauw, alstublieft. Wil je bierje? (not sure if I'm getting this right, trying to do an emphasis on "would you" like a beer?)

"Sorry, ik drink geen alcohol."

"Ah! Ik drink alleen Guinness."

And everyone in the bar laughed, except for Terry.

*scene cuts to a solitary old man in a rocking chair, wiping a tear from his eye*

(Postscript - In my head, when I left the bar, the weather had cleared which caused me to forget to retrieve my umbrella.)
BigMistake
QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Oct 3 2011, 12:10 AM) *
Nope. I live on Guinness.

I played it out wittier in my head.

~~~~w~a~v~y~~l~i~n~e~s~~~~

The door opens and BigMistake turns around and sees Teapot struggling to work the door hand while shaking the rain off his umbrella.

Teapot places his umbrella in the umbrella holder by the door and sighs, victorious. He brushes his hair to one side and takes a step into the bar, only to immediately trip on the doormat and stumble forward several places. He sighs, defeated, and brushes his hair to one side. It is only a few more steps to BigMistake, who plants a hand on his shoulder.

"Ah, Teapot! Wil u biertje?"

"Ja, graag. Een biertje blauw, alstublieft. Wil je bierje? (not sure if I'm getting this right, trying to do an emphasis on "would you" like a beer?)

"Sorry, ik drink geen alcohol."

"Ah! Ik drink alleen Guinness."

And everyone in the bar laughed, except for Terry.

*scene cuts to a solitary old man in a rocking chair, wiping a tear from his eye*

(Postscript - In my head, when I left the bar, the weather had cleared which caused me to forget to retrieve my umbrella.)

You could just say "Biertje!?" and everybody in the bar would understand you tongue.gif.
Mata
... Except all the English people who are translating too directly and saying 'biertje? A small, cute beer? I'll have a normal beer, thanks.'
BigMistake
QUOTE (Mata @ Oct 3 2011, 05:13 PM) *
... Except all the English people who are translating too directly and saying 'biertje? A small, cute beer? I'll have a normal beer, thanks.'

Translating directly is the cause of almost all lingual problems. Want an example? :http://www.bol.com/nl/p/nederlandse-boeken/i-always-get-my-sin/1001004006858561/index.html?Referrer=ADVNLGOO0020081351bf7

You silly British people.
Usurper MrTeapot
That looks like a pretty good book, if only it was in english. A literal translation into english would be nice.
Phantom
QUOTE (Mata @ Oct 1 2011, 04:38 PM) *

Than again, not a lot will stop me tongue.gif

Captain inappropriate!!!!!
BigMistake
QUOTE (Phantom @ Oct 5 2011, 01:49 PM) *
QUOTE (Mata @ Oct 1 2011, 04:38 PM) *

Than again, not a lot will stop me tongue.gif

Captain inappropriate!!!!!

Come on everybody, lets set a date for a Dutch meet!

EDIT: It has just been suggested to me that it's more logical to have a British meet. I'm game either way.
Usurper MrTeapot
Frog and I might be at the Mata shores in December sometime. Perhaps then?
BigMistake
QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Oct 11 2011, 02:50 PM) *
Frog and I might be at the Mata shores in December sometime. Perhaps then?

Name a date and place.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.