Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Horoscopes!
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > The Issues Forum
Pikasyuu
prepare to rage, logic lovers!
I'm planning on keeping this an open discussion with no real direction other than the fact that it centers around the traditional and Chinese zodiac. what are you? can people tell? do you get irritated when they try to guess? do you fit your element? let your imagination and skepticism run wild!

eta I care not whether this has been a topic before. new people, slower forums etc.
BigMistake
QUOTE (Pikasyuu @ Sep 30 2012, 01:23 AM) *
prepare to rage, logic lovers!
I'm planning on keeping this an open discussion with no real direction other than the fact that it centers around the traditional and Chinese zodiac. what are you? can people tell? do you get irritated when they try to guess? do you fit your element? let your imagination and skepticism run wild!

eta I care not whether this has been a topic before, new people, slower forums etc.

Apparently I'm a Snake. I don't think I've ever discussed signs (Chinese Zodiac or otherwise) with people before so I can't say whether or not people can tell. From the description of Snake it's really not like me though.
Pikasyuu
Water? Fire? Earth? Metal?
And your traditional sign?

I personally am a yin fire rabbit Gemini(air)
BigMistake
QUOTE (Pikasyuu @ Sep 30 2012, 01:41 AM) *
Water? Fire? Earth? Metal?
And your traditional sign?

I personally am a yin fire rabbit Gemini(air)

Earth, and Taurus.
Pikasyuu
Eeenteresting. ;; I stroke my beard ;;
Yannick
So, I was born a Virgo, but then there was that sign change madness, and I'm technically a Leo now. I don't care if that was only supposed to apply to people born after the addition of the new sign, I prefer Leo to Virgo. Obviously as a Leo, if you try to correct me, I will be stubborn about it. tongue.gif Also, depending on how willing my hair is to cooperating on a particular day, I sometimes possess a lion's mane.

Umm, I'm also a dog. Woof.

No idea about which element. Not even sure what to Google to figure that one out. Wait, never mind. I'm Wood. Heh, the interwebs says that means I'm patient and easy-going. As a Jedi, I know patience is definitely the one tenet constantly in need of improvement, so that's not true. The description for dog isn't very accurate either, which is surprising considering how general these things usually are.

Maybe Western astrology one upped the Chinese. ...Because I'm a lion. Rawr.
Pikasyuu
i could see you being a leo - my best friend is one. but then again, all twelve signs have traits meant to be vague and broad enough to suit everyone born under them so that we can all share in the hokey joy that is daily news horoscopes, right? beware, leo! something in your work life is about to go awry!

i hate those, but i do like the more in depth ones for fun. like the three pages of small font on the exact day ones. and at the risk of causing wittles to claw his eyeballs out, eat one of them, and simply squish the other one between his fingers, i suit mine very well (i base this on the 'main' points of a gemini being talent with language/wit/conversation, constant talking, being good with their hands - consider my field and art background etc etc - their easy boredom and constant overzealous reaction to any mental stimulation because EVERYTHING IS SO BORING GOD and less flatteringly, all the fickle fickling.) so scuh-rew that zodiac change garbage. i think it made ME a virgo, which is ridiculous.

not as ridiculous as this thread, dave, right? right dave, right? wink wink nudge nudge?

but seriously. i don't think i would call it a science by any means. i can't say whether or not i believe in it and i'd be very hesitant to rely on horoscopes as an actual guide to learning more about somebody versus, you know, talking to them, (like a gemini would ofc ofc.) but i also find it amusing that most people 'fit' their horoscope stereotypes. it isn't concrete evidence, but it is worth a grin.

by the way, inKy is a gemini too. just look at us. peas in a pod. long winded, dry humored, fickle, charming peas in a pod. please, lettuce woo you with our amazon reviews and introductions of bizarre topics in iRC. that is the best way to apply our constellation-given talents, of course. he invented the werebugger, ffs.

QUOTE (BigMistake @ Sep 29 2012, 04:36 PM) *
Apparently I'm a Snake.

also, did this make anybody else think of that badger badger badger badger badger etc mushroom song?
elphaba2
I like horoscopes & I don't care!

Syuu I remember you read out my exact day one in IRC once and I was alarmed/intrigued.
Hobbes
I'm a Pisces. I love being a Pisces. I'm proud to be a Pisces.

But...

I think astrology plays no role in character or personality beyond some kind of self-fulfilling prophecy type thing, or matching the sign to single moments and making it bigger than it is.

i.e:

"You're a Scorpio. That means you're stubborn" x 1000000... eventually person will behave as such.

or

[person behaves stubbornly], "Ah, you see, that's because you're a Scorpio".

But, like I said, I really love being a Pisces, regardless of my opinion of astrology as a "science".
Mata
I find these things amusing. I'm aquarius, which apparently means I logical and eccentric but also slightly cold and distant, and I'm a fire dragon, which should mean I'm a wise leader. So... Complete nonsense then.

I have no belief whatsoever that the stars make any difference to my life. I could see that the time of year that you are born would make a difference - I can imagine the average climate would colour your first experiences of the world (which might suggest that people in the southern hemisphere should have their star signs flipped). Also the Chinese ones make some sort of sense to me in that culture goes through cycles, and I could believe that there might be an argument for more stable feudal socities having fairly predictable cycles, though it's probably utterly broken by now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.