Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Chatroom Is Now Using Yahoo
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Mata
Hi all,

After the IRC channel being hijacked by a hacker with a taste for infecting people's machines (as opposed to the 'real' definition of hackers who are people who enjoy exploring technology systems without intent of damage) it's now not recommended that people go there. You're more than welcome but on your own PC be it.

Instead we have a lovely spangly Yahoo chatroom to use, with the side bonus that you join up with my mailing-list at the same time.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/theotherside...ailinglist/chat (now with added functioning link goodness)

You can get to it from the front page by clicking on the mailing list link and navigating through the Yahoo site or you can use this link.

The moderators are currently myself, Debaser (the IRC moderator) and newly appointed Mr Fuzzy. For chat issues talk to them first (because they probably know more about what they're doing there than I do).

All the same rules from this forum apply in the chatroom, but there is a bit more give in that you can tailor what you are saying to those who are online. Be sensible and value communication.

Have fun all,

Mata
The Tortured Soul
i tried but it sed...

There is no group called theotherside...ailinglist.

u think u got the link wrong, oh mighty, oh powerful mata...
the lil' pie fairy
change theotherside...ailinglist. to theothersidemailinglist.
Mata
That'll teach me to copy and paste my links...

For some reason the board decided to shorten the link, despite the fact that the only letter it replaced was 'm' and it replaced it with '...' which is actually longer.

Hmmm.
The Tortured Soul
it ne1 on the chat... i wanna chat with sum ppl from the otherside!!!
the lil' pie fairy
ill come on if you want?
The Tortured Soul
yey i'm re-loggin on coz it froze on me...
the lil' pie fairy
well, im on, but no-one else is....come on people
SuperKathoid
anyone else having a problem with teh java applet loading? it says i need a new version from microsoft.com/java but when i go there i see no place to download anything... arg... what to do sad.gif sad.gif
leopold
I had that too... turns out it's the Sun Java module messin with it sad.gif

Try turnin off any java clients that aren't the Microsoft one an tryin again...

Either that or install the Yahoo Messenger, we can bring ya in from there
LoLo
QUOTE (leopold @ Jun 3 2003, 02:16 PM)
I had that too... turns out it's the Sun Java module messin with it sad.gif

Try turnin off any java clients that aren't the Microsoft one an tryin again...

Either that or install the Yahoo Messenger, we can bring ya in from there

she has the messenger already leo
leopold
Okay lo... you bring her in then...
Debaser
m$, in their infinite wisdom, decided to stop bundling the java console with ie, so you gotta mess about with getting it yourself...

if it doesn't work, it's possible to access it through messenger, but it's a bit fiddly...
Pikasyuu
CovertYawn can't get into the Yahoo chat, he keeps saying something about their being a microsoft java link in front instead of the chat. Can anyone help the guy? LoLo and I have failed miserably. Also, it seems DI hasn't been in Matazone lately in IRC, so there are still a few chatters around there if anyone wonders where they went.
elf
QUOTE (syuu @ Jun 3 2003, 06:56 PM)
CovertYawn can't get into the Yahoo chat, he keeps saying something about their being a microsoft java link in front instead of the chat. Can anyone help the guy? LoLo and I have failed miserably. Also, it seems DI hasn't been in Matazone lately in IRC, so there are still a few chatters around there if anyone wonders where they went.

I have the same problem, and I already tried downloading the Java Plug-In. I also have Yahoo Messenger anyways... grr... I wanna chat T_T
Mr Fuzzy
One option is not to use IE. Try downloading Opera - its a quick light browser with nice functions like auto refresh, and definitely has java with it. The download is approx. 12.5MB

Fairly big I know, but for most sites you would care to use it is quicker than IE, and should solve all your java problems.

You can find the free download here.
Mr Fuzzy
Also, you may need to switch java on in IE. Look under tools, internet options, advanced, and scroll down to Microsoft VM to find checkboxes to enable it.

Hope this helps.
Mr Fuzzy
I've just poked around, and here is a way for you to get the room into messenger proper...

Open notepad, then paste this in remembering to put your yahoo ID in where marked...

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Yahoo\Pager\profiles\YOUR YAHOO ID HERE\Chat\Favorite Rooms]
"0"="*g.theothersidemailinglist 0"

Save this file as othersideroom.reg, then right click and select 'merge'. You may need to restart messenger, but you should end up with a direct link to the room under 'Tools, Yahoo Chat, Favourite Rooms'

NB. This is altering your system registry. Do be carefull
The Tortured Soul
QUOTE (Mr Fuzzy @ Jun 4 2003, 12:18 PM)
Also, you may need to switch java on in IE. Look under tools, internet options, advanced, and scroll down to Microsoft VM to find checkboxes to enable it.

Hope this helps.

thx for that i woundered why no1 was ever online and i couldn't say anything!!!
elf
QUOTE (Mr Fuzzy @ Jun 4 2003, 04:18 AM)

Hope this helps.

Microsoft VM is now disabled by Sun Microsystems on IE 6.0, and they had to remove all Java products from Microsoft stuff.

>_< *goes to download opera*
elf
now i can... but i had to download it T_T >_< oh well!
oobunnie
i had to download the sun java 2 program for another ftp program and my computer froze in the middle of the set up so the java program wont let me use the ftp thing and now i cant use yahoo either *claws eyes out* i swear sun java has to have been created by bill gates. nothing that terible could have been created by anyone else
~goes to configure computer they way it was yesterday (so so horrible)
leopold
QUOTE (oobunnie @ Jun 8 2003, 09:46 PM)
i swear sun java has to have been created by bill gates. nothing that terible could have been created by anyone else

laugh.gif laugh.gif ROFLMAO!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

This is sooooo funny!! Sorry but it is!!

Actually, this is the official Java... the one made by Sun Systems, who sued Microsoft for buckin the standard! The reason it dun work so well is cos most web designers have used MS Java...
Mr Fuzzy
I've tried to get people in.... Gawdamnit I've tried!
LoLo
I'm all alone.
oobunnie
QUOTE (leopold @ Jun 8 2003, 10:54 PM)
QUOTE (oobunnie @ Jun 8 2003, 09:46 PM)
i swear sun java has to have been created by bill gates. nothing that terible could have been created by anyone else

laugh.gif laugh.gif ROFLMAO!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

This is sooooo funny!! Sorry but it is!!

Actually, this is the official Java... the one made by Sun Systems, who sued Microsoft for buckin the standard! The reason it dun work so well is cos most web designers have used MS Java...

i swear its all a conspiracy, you see bill gates created all the programs and then made it so that none of them would work together. and then we would go crazy and start riots in the streets and what not. its true i swear it
Pikasyuu
Update on the chat thing.
Yahoo is mostly used for T or D. If you don't like it or can't use Java, Missy, Mr_Fuzzy, InKy, Debaser, and myself still hang around it Matazone on IRC a lot. The alternative room. If you don't know where that is and want to go, toss me a PM. Lots of people have said it doesn't feel the same without IRC, and DI seems to be gone. - Knocks on wood. - However, I still don't reccomend even setting foot in without a sturdy firewall. Those can be downloaded off any p2p program, or soulseek which is pretty good. Anyway, whatever alliance you pick, be it Yahoo or IRC, happy chatting. =)
hinsley
ahhhj y is no one in yahoo? get in there NOW
DOUBLEMINDED
isnt there a way we can just enter the room from the yahoo messenger? cuz im using a version of unix that doesnt like java, so i have no java at aLL
leopold
Yes there is double!

I'm goin into the room in a mo... Find me (leo_of_ish) an join me... then ya can save the room as a favourite!
Pikasyuu
QUOTE (hinsley @ Jun 13 2003, 05:26 AM)

I explained up there. o_O .. Some people don't use it because they don't like it, and they can't use java or get it to work properly.
CovertYawn
Thats no excuse for there to be ONLY ME in there...
MistressAlti
I heart IRC.
Pikasyuu
Long live IRC!
Phyllis
QUOTE (leopold @ Jun 13 2003, 01:46 PM)
then ya can save the room as a favourite!

only if yahoo reallyyy loves ya

it happens to hate me...lol. only a blank space appears when i try to add it to favs...so w/o someone else in there, i can't get in either....unless i go through java, which is just icky and not worth it..lol.

and blegh @ t or d!!!...tis evil!.......i will however be signing copies of my wav for a slight fee wink.gif
MistressAlti
How slight?

/me gets out a checkbook and grins madly
hinsley
QUOTE (syuu @ Jun 13 2003, 09:48 PM)
QUOTE (hinsley @ Jun 13 2003, 05:26 AM)

I explained up there. o_O .. Some people don't use it because they don't like it, and they can't use java or get it to work properly.

woah sorry...
Phyllis
hrm.....i could be persuaded for the mere sum of $9348239842383.72

personal checks will be held for 10 days until they clear tongue.gif
MistressAlti
Dammit, I'm gonna have to raid my illegal funds stash to cover this...

Who should I make the check payable to? tongue.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
poppa.moo
It's oh so quiet..........
Phyllis
QUOTE (MistressAlti @ Jun 14 2003, 03:02 PM)
Who should I make the check payable to? tongue.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

why to mrs. calandra frimblewitz, of course. *gets autograph signing pen ready*

blegh...the past couple times i got on here, there has been no one in yahoo at all. sad.gif before there was always at least one or two people. i wish yahoo functioned better..then more people would join in....i get kicked off of it every 39 minutes exactly (yeah, i timed it..sad, i know). or maybe i just need a newer computer..lol.
Pikasyuu
Yahoo's been dying a little lately. Not that I'd know, having been lurking so damned much in IRC. But you know it'll make a comeback for folks who can't use/don't want to use IRC. The truth or dare games really are the meat of that room, though it gets a tad out of hand sometimes. ^^ Bah. 'Member that time there was like twelve in? That barely happened in IRC. No worries.
LoLo
I think Truth or Dare is dying out. I was in yahoo chat last night and there were quite a few people there, and no one was playing truth or dare. In fact most seem to be a tad annoyed with it, myself included.

As for the irc yahoo split. I personally don't really like it. It's just another clique on here. I miss the people I talk to in IRC and I think that if people from IRC switched over to yahoo, the room wouldn't seem so "lame" to the irc users.

Maybe it's just me.
LoLo
I'm sorry if I sounded a bit snippy in the last post. I dunno the seperation just bugs me. Everyone voted unanimously to move to yahoo, and yet there is still this group of people that hang in IRC and the feeling I get from it is that the people who use yahoo chat are looked down on.

I know it is different in yahoo chat than it is in IRC. More people are willing and able to come into yahoo, which meens a different crowd. Well when we all hung out in IRC we complained that it was always the same group of people and that we wished more people would show up. Now that people can and will staying isolated over in IRC doesn't make much sense to me.

It's not the program that makes the chatroom, it's the people who go to the chatroom that make the chatroom.

Also if you can't get in through the java, PM me and I'll let you know how to get in through the messenger.
leopold
QUOTE (LoLo @ Jun 15 2003, 08:11 PM)
It's not the program that makes the chatroom, it's the people who go to the chatroom that make the chatroom.

I couldn't have worded it better! Actually, I prolly couldn't have put it half as good...

Lo is right. We all decided to move to Yahoo. The least anyone can do is give it a chance, an now Lo has offered to help, there really is no reason to dismiss it outright.

Since this place is all about a group of like-minded people gettin together, why the hell create factions over summat so trivial? It's not very clever, an all that's gonna happen is this place will die, an we'll all be worse off for that...

If ya wanna keep usin IRC, then that's fine, it's your choice. But please dun post here sayin about how IRC is better than Yahoo, cos I'm gonna delete any such posts an tell ya off! Oh, an that goes for anyone doin the same for Yahoo too!
MistressAlti
Fine if you want to delete all the posts verifying that IRC chat is alive and well, leo, but let's face it: Some of us really don't like the Yahoo chat. Maybe it's something about the yellow smiley things, maybe it's because I feel assaulted by color every time I set foot in there, maybe it's the part where I have to memorize a whole new set of user names to ID who anyone even is.

I'm not saying Yahoo's bad. I'm sure several of you like it. And that's fine. I drop in time to time. It's an acceptable substitute for the IRC for the brief moments I'm there. But I simply don't have the patience to spend hours trying to work with this new system when the old one's working just fine for me.

And you're right, Lo, it IS the people that make the chatroom. I happen to love the IRC atmosphere, so I spend the majority of my time there. The people who frequent the chats have changed entirely, anyway, as you've said. If you're trying to recapture the spirit of the old chat, it'll be difficult to do, even if all of us came over for good. The old memories are in IRC, and I'm perfectly content there... That's not to say that you all aren't inventing new memories in Yahoo, but I'm not a part of those. I could be, but I'm not. That's my choice.

I don't mean to shoot you down, but I'm awfully hurt that you all seem to think there's an IRC / Yahoo rivalry. It was just the standard silliness, you know? It was for me, at least. I don't have anything personal against the Yahoo chatters, nor anything against people that think Yahoo's worlds better than IRC. It's all gravy. It doesn't matter that much. In fact, I think it's ridiculous that I feel it necessary to write this post at all.
leopold
QUOTE (MistressAlti @ Jun 15 2003, 10:26 PM)
Fine if you want to delete all the posts verifying that IRC chat is alive and well, leo

Missy, that is not what I said!

I said that I'd delete any post sayin "IRC is better than Yahoo" or "Yahoo is better than IRC". I believe we're all above that kinda nonsense. However, I have no objections to posts remindin people that IRC still exists, an if people want to use that, then that's fine by me.

There have been a few mentions of cliques formin in this forum. I want it to stop. We're all here for one reason, an that is Mata - or more specifically, his anims. I dun think we should be breakin up into factions here, we should be as one community. If that doesn't happen, then I fear we're gonna lose people. This isn't a good thing for anyone, least of all Mata himself, who works bloody hard for our benefit!
MistressAlti
I'd watch the connotations you spin with that word "clique". No one here's out to draw lines and refuse to step across them. At least, I'd be hard-pressed to find someone who did.

And the chats being different "cliques"... heh. You'll have to excuse my laughter. It's called "friendship", leo. I go back to IRC for the people in it, not for excluding others out of it. And I doubt people are avoiding IRC because I'm there. And if they are, well, whatever, I doubt I'll care.

Furthermore, I don't disagree that community is important, but you must understand that the community is based HERE, in the forums. The chat(s) are a pleasant and more personal extra level to that community.

However, you also must understand that you can't love everyone. Even in a forum/chat setting, you are not going to like everyone you come across. There is always going to be someone who pushes your buttons. Which is fine. It's a part of human nature. It will never be eliminated from any public forum, and I think people need to understand that fact.
LoLo
Sorry if I offended Missy.......I'm just saying that I personally get this feeling that those who use IRC look down on those who use yahoo. I've asked people in PMs to come to yahoo, I've asked people on the forums to come to yahoo, I've made my comments here or there to people specifically, and I get this sense of yahoo sucks in responses. Maybe it's just me but that's the way I feel. I just kind of would like to see everyone joined together that's all.
poppa.moo
I have access to yahoo and IRC at home, and don't mind using either. I'm game for anything and easy (no smutty comments please laugh.gif .) The problem with me being that i on't get long stretchs of time to go on the net at home, so the forums is the best place for me. But i get on when i can, and usually log into both.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.